Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:29 am 
Board Emeritus

...get any more ridiculous.

CNN - VA Secretary Robert Wilke - The Lost Cause

From crooked.com:
Quote:
Veterans Affairs Secretary Robert Wilkie praised Confederate President Jefferson Davis in a 1995 speech, calling him a “martyr to ‘The Lost Cause’ and an “exceptional man in an exceptional age” while criticizing “radical abolitionists” as “enemies of liberty.” “The Lost Cause” is a revisionist view of the Confederacy’s desire to secede from the United States and continue enslaving black people as heroic and honorable. Jefferson Davis was the unabashedly racist champion of that cause.

Well now wait a minute Ike!!! Maybe Robert Wilke has had a change of heart and thought since 1995. Evangelical leader Tony Perkins is telling us that Donald Trump has changed since he was fucking Stormy Daniels in 2006 and that Donald "deserves a mulligan on Stormy Daniels." So if Donald can do a 180 degree change in his personality, why can't Robert Wilke, eh? It only took Donald 12 years to accomplish this christ like reversal...Robert has had twice the time. Maybe I'm to harsh and I should stop rushing to judgement with these subhuman confederates.

WTF???

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:04 pm 
Board Emeritus

From crooked.com:

Well now wait a minute Ike!!! Maybe Robert Wilke has had a change of heart and thought since 1995. Evangelical leader Tony Perkins is telling us that Donald Trump has changed since he was fucking Stormy Daniels in 2006 and that Donald "deserves a mulligan on Stormy Daniels." So if Donald can do a 180 degree change in his personality, why can't Robert Wilke, eh? It only took Donald 12 years to accomplish this christ like reversal...Robert has had twice the time. Maybe I'm to harsh and I should stop rushing to judgement with these subhuman confederates.

WTF???

It can get more ridiculous Ike.

It sounds like Wilkie won't be awarded the Wilkie Medal anytime soon, which "is an award presented to those who do the least for Australian rules football, in the best and fairest manner."-- It's got a wiki page for crying out loud.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

From crooked.com:

WTF???

And i just read where BARR is on record saying no such thing as separation of church and state.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

It can get more ridiculous Ike.

It sounds like Wilkie won't be awarded the Wilkie Medal anytime soon, which "is an award presented to those who do the least for Australian rules football, in the best and fairest manner."-- It's got a wiki page for crying out loud.

:)

But so many of them confederates are such nice people...eh Sam?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Who are them regarded as confederates today Ike. I've not been paying much attention to the daily tallies being kept around here for that idem, for some time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

And now the condescending prick is saying WE are "deciding" who is and isnt confederats

Quote:
Who are them regarded as confederates today Ike. I've not been paying much attention to the daily tallies being kept around here for that idem, for some time.

he is really becoming an ass

The way to deal with him is talk around him like I am doing here, IGNORE him.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

And i just read where BARR is on record saying no such thing as separation of church and state.

Not surprising. Imo, many on the right even those considered "decent" by Democrats as well as Republicans are more than unhappy with the concept that there is no state religion. They wail and gnash their teeth over the idea that many of the founders stated that there was no state religion. Interesting that they all scream about the constitution and originalism which actually doesn't exist yet they cannot come to grips with the concept of religious freedom and no state religion and especially no requirement as to belief to hold office.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Not surprising. Imo, many on the right even those considered "decent" by Democrats as well as Republicans are more than unhappy with the concept that there is no state religion. They wail and gnash their teeth over the idea that many of the founders stated that there was no state religion. Interesting that they all scream about the constitution and originalism which actually doesn't exist yet they cannot come to grips with the concept of religious freedom and no state religion and especially no requirement as to belief to hold office.

In a sane administration Barr wouldnt ever be mentioned, let alone appointed. Even a republican administration. Oh wait, Bush...these fuckers ALL of them are bad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

And now the condescending prick is saying WE are "deciding" who is and isnt confederats

he is really becoming an ass

The way to deal with him is talk around him like I am doing here, IGNORE him.

Yep, that's what I'm saying some ridiculous folks around here have been ""deciding" who is and isnt confederats." Who and who arn't human too, "subhumans" is the non human term.

Ridiculous notions.

BTW, am I in transition from having been a "prick," transforming it being an "ass?"

:|

I think I'm an ass. The other fellow, the one I'm sitting next to is an elephant.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Back on topic and ignoring the nonsense, I said a long time ago based on the Bannon quote and Rump quote where they both said they were dedicated to destroying Americas institutions, that they would appoint the worst possible and most destructive people and that is what they are doing, on purpose.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK, could start a new thread for Barr, but since he was mentioned here ... ugh. It's bad.

Trump’s Attorney General Pick William Barr Rejects Separation Of Church And State
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... and-state/

Theocracy alert: Trump’s Attorney General Pick William Barr is a Catholic conservative who rejects the separation of church and state, calls secularists “fanatics,” and blames secularism for “moral decline.”

Earlier today Trump announced he would nominate William Barr to succeed Jeff Sessions as the nation’s attorney general. Barr previously served as attorney general under the late President George H.W. Bush.

Barr is a states’ rights, religious conservative who believes women do not have a constitutional right to abortion, that Roe vs. Wade was wrongly decided, and that the legality of abortion should be determined by individual states.

As attorney general under the late President George H.W. Bush, Barr was the architect of America’s failed war on drugs and the current punitive criminal justice system. Barr was and is a big proponent of mass incarceration, despite the fact that research shows such a system fosters and promotes racial discrimination.

In addition to the racism and misogyny one would expect from a conservative Catholic, Barr is also a bigot when it comes to non-religious people and others who respect the separation of church and state.

In a 2011 address to “The Governor’s Conference on Juvenile Crime, Drugs and Gangs,” Barr condemned church/state separation in public schools:

"This moral lobotomy of public schools has been based on extremist notions of separation of church and state or on theories of moral relativism which reject the notion that there are standards of rights or wrong to which the community can demand adherence."

In a 2017 article published by The Catholic Lawyer, Barr bemoaned the rise of secularism and offered an answer to the challenge of “representing Catholic institutions.” Discussing what Barr termed as “The Breakdown of Traditional Morality” the new attorney general nominee writes:

We live in an increasingly militant, secular age… As part of this philosophy, we see a growing hostility toward religion, particularly Catholicism. This form of bigotry has always been fashionable in the United States. There are, today, even greater efforts to marginalize or “ghettoize” orthodox religion…

In the article Barr uses the example of equal rights for LGBT people as an indication of the breakdown of traditional morality, claiming that equal treatment for LGBT rights groups at Georgetown University was actually an attack on morality:

The second way in which secularists use law as a weapon is to pass laws that affirmatively promote the moral relativist viewpoint. Such laws seek to ratify, or put on an equal plane, conduct that previously was considered immoral…Another example was the effort to apply District of Columbia law to compel Georgetown University to treat homosexual activist groups like any other student group. This kind of law dissolves any form of moral consensus in society. There can be no consensus based on moral views in the country, only enforced neutrality.

Bottom line: William Barr is a dangerous religious conservative who rejects the separation of church and state, rejects equal rights for LGBT people, calls secularists “fanatics,” and blames secularism for the nation’s supposed “moral decline.”

[snip][end]

Oh boy, he's bad. Thing is, at the time he was HW's AG, I don't think I even knew half of this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yep, very bad and the GOP now is trying to destroy my country and I consider it violence.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

OK, could start a new thread for Barr, but since he was mentioned here ... ugh. It's bad.

Trump’s Attorney General Pick William Barr Rejects Separation Of Church And State

Theocracy alert: Trump’s Attorney General Pick William Barr is a Catholic conservative who rejects the separation of church and state, calls secularists “fanatics,” and blames secularism for “moral decline.”

Earlier today Trump announced he would nominate William Barr to succeed Jeff Sessions as the nation’s attorney general. Barr previously served as attorney general under the late President George H.W. Bush.

Barr is a states’ rights, religious conservative who believes women do not have a constitutional right to abortion, that Roe vs. Wade was wrongly decided, and that the legality of abortion should be determined by individual states.

As attorney general under the late President George H.W. Bush, Barr was the architect of America’s failed war on drugs and the current punitive criminal justice system. Barr was and is a big proponent of mass incarceration, despite the fact that research shows such a system fosters and promotes racial discrimination.

In addition to the racism and misogyny one would expect from a conservative Catholic, Barr is also a bigot when it comes to non-religious people and others who respect the separation of church and state.

In a 2011 address to “The Governor’s Conference on Juvenile Crime, Drugs and Gangs,” Barr condemned church/state separation in public schools:

"This moral lobotomy of public schools has been based on extremist notions of separation of church and state or on theories of moral relativism which reject the notion that there are standards of rights or wrong to which the community can demand adherence."

In a 2017 article published by The Catholic Lawyer, Barr bemoaned the rise of secularism and offered an answer to the challenge of “representing Catholic institutions.” Discussing what Barr termed as “The Breakdown of Traditional Morality” the new attorney general nominee writes:

We live in an increasingly militant, secular age… As part of this philosophy, we see a growing hostility toward religion, particularly Catholicism. This form of bigotry has always been fashionable in the United States. There are, today, even greater efforts to marginalize or “ghettoize” orthodox religion…

In the article Barr uses the example of equal rights for LGBT people as an indication of the breakdown of traditional morality, claiming that equal treatment for LGBT rights groups at Georgetown University was actually an attack on morality:

The second way in which secularists use law as a weapon is to pass laws that affirmatively promote the moral relativist viewpoint. Such laws seek to ratify, or put on an equal plane, conduct that previously was considered immoral…Another example was the effort to apply District of Columbia law to compel Georgetown University to treat homosexual activist groups like any other student group. This kind of law dissolves any form of moral consensus in society. There can be no consensus based on moral views in the country, only enforced neutrality.

Bottom line: William Barr is a dangerous religious conservative who rejects the separation of church and state, rejects equal rights for LGBT people, calls secularists “fanatics,” and blames secularism for the nation’s supposed “moral decline.”

[snip][end]

Oh boy, he's bad. Thing is, at the time he was HW's AG, I don't think I even knew half of this.

Not lovely. :(

I thought it was keeping right in line with what Mike Pence would want.

Trump's midnight section for a new chief of staff is similarly in keeping right in line with what Pence would want.

Just saying... .

I sure do wonder what new boss will be like. New boss is going to take over while standing in a mine field. Just like he was plunked down from above right smack dab in the center of it, all safe and sound.

For highlights to come I expect to see his foot getting blown off. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

[snip][end]

Poor Barr. He doesn't realize he is the wrong religion. Should the religionists gain power and actually implement their anti-democracy agenda you can bet he would be kicked to the curb by the RW Protestants. After all Catholics aren't really "Christians."

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

Poor Barr. He doesn't realize he is the wrong religion. Should the religionists gain power and actually implement their anti-democracy agenda you can bet he would be kicked to the curb by the RW Protestants. After all Catholics aren't really "Christians."

++++++++++

That's the thing about these self-loathing, unmeltable conservative white-ethnics like Barr, Buchanan, Scammity, the kernel, etc. They will never be accepted into the Klan to which they aspire, and only have conditinal acceptance into Uptown Klan, until they're no longer useful.

Same for rwnj Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and the rest of the rightwing white-aspirants seeking validation from conservative whites. They are honorary white. Until they're not. Even their own diasporic histories tell them that much.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

If only we try to understand these conservative cutthroats and try to get them into the fold with the welcoming, open arms of civility.

:roll: :problem:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:43 pm 
Board Emeritus

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.

You're speculating about anything related to this, Sam? Anybody who accepts a job in any capacity from Donald Trump is an asshole, and should be seen and dealt with as such.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.

You're speculating about anything related to this, Sam? Anybody who accepts a job in any capacity from Donald Trump is an asshole, and should be seen and dealt with as such.

I wasn't speculating when I only invoked the first half of the saw, purposely leaving off the second half,,, "same as the old boss."

Pence and Trump aren't even close to being the same. About as same as it gets is that I don't like either one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:38 pm 
Policy Wonk

[snip][end]

its a disturbing reminder as to why we shouldnt concede undue praise to administrations like reagan and bush sr just because trump is less well composed in front of a camera or in speaking.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:57 am 
Board Emeritus

I wasn't speculating when I only invoked the first half of the saw, purposely leaving off the second half,,, "same as the old boss."

Pence and Trump aren't even close to being the same. About as same as it gets is that I don't like either one.

Correct. In some ways Pence is worse and even more dangerous than Trump.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:03 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah.

He might be competent.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:14 am 
Board Emeritus

its a disturbing reminder as to why we shouldnt concede undue praise to administrations like reagan and bush sr just because trump is less well composed in front of a camera or in speaking.

Well said.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:26 am 
Board Emeritus

I absolutely agree that the hagiography recently shown "HW" was excessive, esp. because MSNBC/the Left somewhat also participated.

Look, there was some other stuff to talk about there. Iran-Contra, Willie Horton, Panama invasion, a staged drug deal in front of the WH, how he may have messed up his own son who succeeded him. :D

I guess, given cultural norms, that stuff was not appropriate. I think bringing it up again will be more appropriate in a week or so, and his formal mourning by his family is over. Oh, and the country in this case.

As I've said before, it would be silly to say we can't ever say negative stuff about dead people. It would be hard to write biographies of historical figures if that were not true. I think this taboo only extends to the mourning period. "Adolf Hitler loved his dogs. The End."

That said, I can also note where Trump was inferior as a human being to 41 goes beyond his lack of sophistication and good articulation. That does not mean I am ignoring anything about 41 I just noted above. I agree with Ike ... however much I disagreed with ideology, policy, or actions ... 41 was not a fundamentally malignant narcissist. 45 is.

As for not having much good to say about Reagan ... well, I know he's still the leading light in the conservative pantheon ... apparently conservatives like glen still worship him... there was very little saintlike about him, and besides being a lousy president, there were ways he reminded me of Trump, as far as just being a human being. A proto-reality star largely more image than substance, awkward family relationships, and a cartoonish understanding of the world, punctuated by a lot of ignorance and meanness. Particularly: see: beginnings of HIV crisis.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:40 am 
Board Emeritus

Yeah.

He might be competent.

Feh...he is a delusional catholicrat.

Trump opposes choice because the rally attendees approve. Pence opposes choice because he believes the baby jesus opposes choice. Make him president and Kim Davis becomes the Secretary of Health and Human Services.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

GHWB is finally in the ground, after a week of pall bearing, Capitol Dome Deathcam, something like 4 funerals, and of course declaring a day in which we do the best thing we can do to remember Republicans. This, needless to say, is shutting down the government.

Custom, decency, and personal bias all indicate that mourning has reached a significant stage to allow us to go back to discussing his short, loud, tragic administration in an objective manner:

At the core, a good man.

He did some good stuff.

He did some bad stuff.

The good stuff made life a bit better in America.

The bad stuff fucked over the entire planet, and we still haven't recovered.

FADE OUT