RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Come January, the NFL playoffs begin but for millions of Spectrum cable subscribers, the playoffs may not be viewed because Tribune Media Company and Spectrum have yet come to terms on a new contract. Tribune Media Company owns a lot of CBS and Fox affiliate TV stations so Spectrum broadcast of NFL games, as well as other CBS and Fox shows, could be dropped.

If Spectrum and Tribune Media Company can't come to an agreement then when the games air I'll simply switch to an external HD antenna to watch the games. I bought the antenna a couple of years ago in case of a disaster where the cable is out or for a prolonged cable outage. I expect most people affected will be scrambling to buy an external HD so you might want to get a jump on them and buy one now. They don't cost much and they're easy to use.

Quote:
Tribune Media Company is warning Spectrum cable subscribers of a possible blackout in early 2019, threatening more than six million customers’ access to NFL playoff games and other programming.

“The NFL playoffs begin Jan. 5 and we want football fans in our markets to be able to watch these games and root for their favorite teams—we want to reach an agreement with Spectrum,” Weitman said in a statement. “We’ve offered Spectrum fair market rates for our top-rated local news, live sports and high-quality entertainment programming, and similarly fair rates for our cable network, WGN America. Spectrum has refused our offer.”

If the two sides fail to reach an agreement, Tribune’s programming will be blacked out for Spectrum’s customers on January 1, 2019. Tribune owns many local stations, including CBS and Fox affiliates with rights to NFL games.

“We are negotiating with Tribune and we hope to reach a fair agreement,” a spokesperson for Charter Communications, which operates under the Spectrum brand, said in a statement.
The Hill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:59 pm 
Board Emeritus

We get the air channels, including all the weird little subchannels, just fine on an ancient Radio Shack amplified indoor antenna from the analog era. I think it cost something like $49.95 back in the day. For use farther out, they do still make outdoor antennas. They look like the old analog ones only smaller. Digital TV off the air looks exactly the same if the signal is good. If the signal isn't good, you get nothing at all.

The Rose Parade is going to be an issue here, since the only channel worth watching it on is Tribune owned, and in this time zone this time of year, it starts literally at the crack of dawn. I can get an ancient VCR to work, but the RF tuner won't be much good since it was for analog TV.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 am 
Board Emeritus

The local Fox affiliate is a Tribune Media company and the Seattle/Dallas game is blacked out. Spectrum has been running an "infomercial" throughout the time slot explaining why they aren't carrying the game. They also have, at the bottom of the screen, a note saying "Download the NFL App or Yahoo! Sports app to watch live NFL games on your mobile devices."

Although I'm not that interested in this game, I decided to try my external HDTV antenna to see if I could get it. I hooked it up to my TV and did an auto-scan of channels. I tried channel 5, the local Fox channel, but the screen was blank so I started going channel by channel until I came to the sub-channel, 69-1, the game was being broadcast on. Good, clear picture and sound equal to that of cable.

I hope I don't have to use the HDTV antenna but if the cable goes out at least I know I have a backup.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

KTLA blacked out on the second. No one wanted to mess with a cash cow like the Rose Parade. We saw the full-size replica of the Golden Spike ceremony burn in glorious digital color.

I gotta say, these penis contests over carriage rights are getting REALLY old. They might kill a goose that already looks a bit unhealthy.