Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Too many bowls
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

Right now it's the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl. It was silly enough before they all got name sponsors, now it's even sillier. They go all day long. There's always something like an American Plumbing Company Toilet Bowl, pitting the mighty Southern Death Valley Polytechnic University Scorpions vs the Harmony Dairy College Udders. The players are usually little skinny guys (by football standards) and they fumble and miss field goals.

Every last one of them is on TV, making them look as if they might even be significant for anyone besides advertisers.

I mean, really.

Post subject: Re: Too many bowls
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:57 pm 
Board Emeritus

Right now it's the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl. It was silly enough before they all got name sponsors, now it's even sillier. They go all day long. There's always something like an American Plumbing Company Toilet Bowl, pitting the mighty Southern Death Valley Polytechnic University Scorpions vs the Harmony Dairy College Udders. The players are usually little skinny guys (by football standards) and they fumble and miss field goals.

Every last one of them is on TV, making them look as if they might even be significant for anyone besides advertisers.

I mean, really.

Colleges are the equivalent to baseball farm teams developing players for the NFL. Since there is no real "Super Bowl" for colleges bowl games are the best a college player for hope for. The top college teams get the big name bowl games while everyone else gets a "participation trophy." The real reason for a lot of these bowl games is they make a lot money for the organizers and the local communities that hold them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sure, they're all on TV, and the attendance is also usually pretty good. The Franklin America Mortgage Music City Bowl was 56-7 at the half.

The real problem with college football is uneven recruiting. Really, only about 10 teams get pretty much all the top recruits, and so we see the same names atop the standings every year. There's also a truly staggering amount of cheating that goes on. U$C has had more than one poor kid from South Central driving to school in a Ferrari.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:11 am 

I'm sure Purdue University would like to give that bowl invite back.

If you're interested in lighthouses, you might want to check it out.

DON'T BLAME ME I VOTED AGAINST AMENDMENT ONE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I know it's about money but i'm no fan of corporate sponsored naming right arenas or stadiums that has to go.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

OMG, how many more times can we watch Alabama win another championship? College football has a serious problem with the rich getting richer. Furthermore, I must agree that the name sponsors are the last straw. They bring in good money, but at what price? How long before the playoff ends with Koch Industries playing The Trump Organization, in Moscow every third year?

College football has a very serious problem. It's time to decide which way to go.

I used to be a big fan of college football until it became the sports equivalent of those cities in India where the mansions sit behind heavily guarded walls next to diseased slums stinking of dead bodies, with children running around naked and parasitic food that rots out your liver 20 years later.

Now, well, yuck.

And notice how the big time New Year's Day bowls got absorbed into the sport's rather grotesque attempt at a playoff system. Like yesterday, with the Capital One Orange Bowl and the [place already forgotten large corporation here][place forgotten once-classic bowl here]. It rotates, so you forget which bowls get appropriated which years. At least this year's Rose Bowl is a real Rose Bowl with a Pac-12 and a Big 10 team in it just the way God and the NCAA intended. BTW, I hope Washington kicks Ohio State's ass, and with my record picking Rose Bowls, they probably won't.

College football wants a real playoff system, like basketball, but doesn't know it. This, of course, is logistically impossible. Too expensive, too long a season (which already starts in September), and there'd be few healthy players left for the finals.

There are only two real solutions. One is to save college football's soul but make it a minor sport again. Never happen. The other is to give up, can the NCAA, and just run a farm system subsidized by the NFL, complete with a draft of high school prospects. As in all such drafts, losers go first. Never happen.

We'll probably just keep seeing hundreds of hours of [place large corporation here][place silly bowl here] .