RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:44 pm 
Board Emeritus

After working 20 months without a contract, L.A. school teachers staged their first strike in 30 years. The teachers are demanding:
a 6.5% pay raise
more money counselors, nurses, and librarians
reduction in standardized testing
small class sizes
regulations on chart-school growth

The L.A. Unified School District has a $1.8 billion reserve.

Quote:
The union’s demand for reduced class sizes (some classes have more than 40 students) and more support staff are at the heart of the negotiations. The union also seeks a 6.5-percent raise, but union leaders say salary is only one piece of a puzzle. They also point to such shortfalls as elementary schools only having a school nurse one or two days a week, which the union says risks children’s safety.

On Friday, the district presented the union with an offer that included a 6-percent raise over two years, a commitment to hire 1,200 new positions for one year, and a pledge to reduce class sizes. Union leaders quickly rebuffed the offer, saying it did not go far enough.
HuffPost

USAToday

I wonder how our board conservatives will react to this. Will they say "Think of the children," "Public employees shouldn't be allowed to strike," or "The union bosses are holding parents hostage by going out on strike"?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

Here's an opinion piece written by Joseph Zeccola, who is the United Teachers Los Angeles chapter chair for his school as well as a 2018-19 Los Angeles County Teacher of the Year, concerning why teachers are striking.

Quote:
I’m a 2018-19 Los Angeles County Teacher of the Year, and I love my job. I love it so much I spent my rainy Saturday laminating 40 signs and making a dozen strike-related phone calls. I love it so much I spent my Sunday sending out more than a dozen college recommendation letters for my graduating seniors. I’m also the United Teachers Los Angeles chapter chair for my school. This means I’ve been in charge of preparing and motivating our school’s teachers and health and human service workers to strike.

When people talk about the LAUSD strike, they should consider the fact that 98 percent of us voted to give our union permission to call the strike. This isn’t a battle between one union leader and a school superintendent. It’s a battle between 33,000 UTLA members, the vast majority of LA teachers and other school staff, who spend every day teaching and caring for our students, and the district leaders who are unwilling to work with us to meet their needs. We’re walking out because we feel like we’re part of a rigged game set up to undermine public education. And we’ve decided enough is enough.
HuffPost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Go, mighty UTLA!

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

The district had every chance to avoid a strike.

UTLA is the kind of union we need more of. They kick butt and take names. Many of its members are active in other causes such as anti-war and human rights abuses.

A wet substance that L.A. barely recognizes fell from the sky on day one, and something like 10,000 teachers and allies rallied downtown anyway.

Strikin' in the rain
Just strikin' in the rain
What a glorious feeling
I'm active again