RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think we have the correct space for it, I THINK it is a 24 inch depth from wall to edge of counter but this is our new home 4 hours from where I am and I am at the moment relying on my wife's measurements which even if correct, I am not sure what to do because what if it isnt out far enough?

a. they hold less for obvious reason

b. they cost more per sq ft usually

Other than that, anything I am not thinking of here? We are putting in new kitchen in new house. The house is basically new (4 yrs old I think) and my wife doesnt like the appliances, sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:52 pm 
Board Emeritus

25 inches is standard. The one at your new home is probably 25, she probably measured from the face of the wall cove instead of the wall which would reduce the measurement to 24 because that cove is about an inch thick.

Most fridges stick out 8 to 10 inches beyond that counter top edge. Out to about 32 to 33 inches. There is a reason for that, the fridge door swing.

If that fridge door hinge pivot is not quite a ways out beyond the cabinet front a cabinet drawer which has not been shoved all the way back in will get crunched and broken, ruined, by the Fridge door when it swings open more than 90 degrees. It will scratch the paint and dent the fridge door as well.

Fridge doors are quite often thrown open more then 90 degrees, and cabinet draws are often not quite pushed completely closed, left hanging out 5 to 6 inches.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think we have the correct space for it, I THINK it is a 24 inch depth from wall to edge of counter but this is our new home 4 hours from where I am and I am at the moment relying on my wife's measurements which even if correct, I am not sure what to do because what if it isnt out far enough?

a. they hold less for obvious reason

b. they cost more per sq ft usually

Other than that, anything I am not thinking of here? We are putting in new kitchen in new house. The house is basically new (4 yrs old I think) and my wife doesnt like the appliances, sigh.

What type of refrigerator are you buying? If it's a standard refrigerator then the space should be 23 - 27" and if the refrigerator has side-by-side doors then the depth should be 30 - 34."

As for your wife's measurements, it's pretty hard to mess up a simply measurement like that so I'd trust her measuring.

I measured the space for my refrigerator and its depth is 32." My standard refrigerator is a single-door type and has a depth of 30" so it easily fits in its space.

Maybe this article will help you.
Link

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:01 pm 
Policy Wonk

Be sure to account for space for air circulation around the refrigerator as well. I believe most have reversible doors so you could install them to open on the right or the left.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

What type of refrigerator are you buying? If it's a standard refrigerator then the space should be 23 - 27" and if the refrigerator has side-by-side doors then the depth should be 30 - 34."

As for your wife's measurements, it's pretty hard to mess up a simply measurement like that so I'd trust her measuring.

I measured the space for my refrigerator and its depth is 32." My standard refrigerator is a single-door type and has a depth of 30" so it easily fits in its space.

Link

Thanks Number6, Sam and Viewer

It is a french door with bottom freezer like this

The dimensions on these vary, I am seeing Depth30.88 in. for this one and that would be including the doors and handles so it will be perfect probably, but SAM pointed out the opening of the doors, just because you can open them doesnt mean you can open them completely or whatever.

I also was wondering if there was something else about them but I guess not. I will look at link, I have read several already about this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:21 pm 
Board Emeritus

Link

Thanks but you said your space for it is 32 and your fridge is 30...you couldnt open it if that was the case. I am talking about depth. if your counter is 32 , must not be, I must misunderstand. I guess my main problem, not being there, is would a 30 inch depth work since almost 6 inches of it sticks outside of the part where you open.

So here is the info on that above one

Quote:
Depth (Including Handles) (Inches) 30.875
Depth (Excluding Handles) (Inches) 28.375
Depth (Less Door) (Inches) 24.125
Depth with Door Open (Inches) 42.75
Height to Top of Case (Inches) 68.375
Height to Top of Door (Inches) 70.25

Now look at the highlited one - that means where the door itself opens is RIGHT at the point where the counter is so unless you pull the fridge out from the wall an inch or so it wont work

So that is another question, as it has water lines and so on can I assume I will be able to pull it out from the wall a couple inches?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:31 pm 
Board Emeritus

Libertas wrote:

Thanks Number6, Sam and Viewer

It is a french door with bottom freezer like this

The dimensions on these vary, I am seeing Depth30.88 in. for this one and that would be including the doors and handles so it will be perfect probably, but SAM pointed out the opening of the doors, just because you can open them doesnt mean you can open them completely or whatever.

I also was wondering if there was something else about them but I guess not. I will look at link, I have read several already about this.

With an air gap behind of about an inch, that fridge will work fine with the standard counter top and cabinets which would be under them.

If a drawer is left out as much as they can be left out without sagging down in front, if not threatening to fall out of the guides onto the floor, and then the fridge door is swung wide open when it gets to that drawer it will have swung around it and it will push it gently back in, instead of pushing it to the side wedging and breaking it off as well as denting the fridge door.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:25 pm 
Board Emeritus

Thanks but you said your space for it is 32 and your fridge is 30...you couldnt open it if that was the case. I am talking about depth. if your counter is 32 , must not be, I must misunderstand. I guess my main problem, not being there, is would a 30 inch depth work since almost 6 inches of it sticks outside of the part where you open.

I didn't include the handles in my measurement so that would add another two inches to the overall depth. My space for refrigerator is 33.5 inches wide and 30 inches deep. The fridge is 32 inches deep with and 28 inches wide so it easily fits into its space. The counter next to fridge and that's 25 inches. I keep my fridge about one-two inches from the wall so it's sticking about seven inches out letting me easily open the door without hitting the counter.