Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

Small homeowners are getting caught up in the Airbnb crackdown

As the city seeks to tackle unregulated hotels with its crackdown on short-term rentals, one- and two-family homes are facing enforcement measures, too.

Owners of 139 single and two-family homes received 718 violations from the city in 2018, Politico reported. In the previous year, the city issued 781 penalties at 162 sites.

https://therealdeal.com/2019/02/28/smal ... crackdown/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:56 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sort of a classic case of the people who abuse the system ruining it for everybody.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:49 pm 
Board Emeritus

Sort of a classic case of the people who abuse the system ruining it for everybody.

Here, in California, it's become a big problem. With high housing costs, especially around beach communities, people are turning to Airbnb and other short-term rental sites to supplement their income to pay their mortgages. The problem is they attract vacationers who stay there a couple of days to a week noisily partying throughout the night and disturbing the full-time residents nearby.

I have no problems if they're renting out a room or home on a long-term (a couple of months to a year or more) but not for renting them out like their a home or bed-and-breakfast in a residential area not zoned for it. In my city, it got bad enough to the point the city put a minimum amount of time a short-term rental can be let of days. That discourages short-term rentals but still allows the property to be used for long-term renters.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's one next door. To be what it is a normal home was purchased when the owner died. It was then under construction for half a year to fancy it up, install a swimming pool.

To keep it up our private road is taking a beating. Damage we're all paying for. The guests come and go. Then the crew who shows up to clean it between guests comes and goes. The keeper of the pool comes and goes. A trash service comes and goes. Frequent spot repair contractors come and go. And the the water isn't good enough for those guests, a water tanker comes and goes.

The guests coming and going is not a problem. It's those service vendors who are the problem, their trucks and vans are 3/4 ton up to heavy ten wheel semi trucks. The trash service and the water haul, and propane meas we have a heavy truck beating our one lane road up two to tree times a week. The road is too narrow, meeting one of those big trucks is no fun.

The amount of road maintenance has tripled. So I'm all for those small homeowners getting caught up in the Airbnb crackdown. Include them, regulate them. Enforce the zoning.

There's also a lot of noise coming from the place. :|

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:22 pm 
Board Emeritus

There's one next door. To be what it is a normal home was purchased when the owner died. It was then under construction for half a year to fancy it up, install a swimming pool.

To keep it up our private road is taking a beating. Damage we're all paying for. The guests come and go. Then the crew who shows up to clean it between guests comes and goes. The keeper of the pool comes and goes. A trash service comes and goes. Frequent spot repair contractors come and go. And the the water isn't good enough for those guests, a water tanker comes and goes.

The guests coming and going is not a problem. It's those service vendors who are the problem, their trucks and vans are 3/4 ton up to heavy ten wheel semi trucks. The trash service and the water haul, and propane meas we have a heavy truck beating our one lane road up two to tree times a week. The road is too narrow, meeting one of those big trucks is no fun.

The amount of road maintenance has tripled. So I'm all for those small homeowners getting caught up in the Airbnb crackdown. Include them, regulate them. Enforce the zoning.

There's also a lot of noise coming from the place. :|

If you have a private road then upkeep is by the homeowners living on that road. Do you have an association or some form of group that funds the road's upkeep? If so, can you asses that homeowner for the additional damage being done to that road?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

Same problem in L.A.. People use short term rentals to party it up, creating a permanent noise and crowd problem for people who still try to live there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

If you have a private road then upkeep is by the homeowners living on that road. Do you have an association or some form of group that funds the road's upkeep? If so, can you asses that homeowner for the additional damage being done to that road?

We have a road agreement which was written into the deeds of the properties when they were subdivided. It stipulates that the cost will be divided equally between the homeowners. The costs are for blade work and truck loads of gravel. Most of the labor we do is voluntary and is a donation to the road. Mostly that labor is done by just three of us. I come in second for grabbing a shovel and getting out there. The fellow who's asked to be in charge of it does the most work for free by far.

I'm near the end of the road, we have people who are at the beginning of the road who think they ought to be charged only for the costs of the part of the road they use. So that agreement has two cutting edges. That part about it I like.

In that agreement there's no mechanism for assessment or specifications about how the road is to be kept. It's the wild wild west.