Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 am 
Board Emeritus

Adobe warns users of older Creative Cloud apps of potential copyright claims

What just happened? Adobe sent out emails warning users of older Adobe products that they may be in violation of copyright if they continue using the older versions. The warning could be related to a lawsuit by Dolby, but it's unknown how it will affect subscribers. Regardless, this isn't a good look for proponents of subscription-based software.

Adobe Creative Cloud subscribers may be in legal trouble if they're using older versions of the CC applications. Adobe sent emails to customers warning that continued use of the older apps could put them "at risk of potential claims of infringement by third parties." This development follows Adobe's recent discontinuation of older versions of its popular content creation suite.

https://www.techspot.com/news/80080-ado ... ntial.html

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

Creative Cloud sux. I've never used it because I've never been able to afford it. It's one of the reasons I'm stuck on a vintage computer for my dev computer.

Stop calling the cops on us.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:03 pm 
Board Emeritus

Creative Cloud is extortion. It IS expensive, and its general implementation sucks big-time. One would think that, for the kind of money it costs, that the code would work. One would think in error. The Creative Cloud account client itself, which pretty much takes over your computer, is extremely bloated and mega-buggy. Once it doubled my fee, and when I wrote support they said I could do nothing about it. Then the next week I got an e-mail saying oops, their bad, and they put the fee back to where it was supposed to be.

Another time something really simple got corrupt somewhere in the vast data structure that is CC file dependencies. The fix was supposedly to delete all Adobe apps, even the Acrobat reader, and start over. Needless to say, a thread on the forum said that all you really had to do was recreate one file. I did, and it worked.

In general Adobe is the model of corporate arrogance. I'd switch to the GIMP except that I hate the GIMP.

Last edited by ZoWie on Wed May 15, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Creative Cloud is extortion. It IS expensive, and its general implementation sucks big-time. One would think that, for the kind of money it costs, that the code would work. One would think in error. The Creative Cloud manager itself, which pretty much takes over your computer, is extremely bloated and mega-buggy. Once it doubled my fee, and when I wrote support they said I could do nothing about it. Then the next week I got an e-mail saying oops, their bad, and putting back where it was supposed to be.

In general Adobe is the model of corporate arrogance. I'd switch to the GIMP except that I hate the GIMP.

Yes, just for Acrobat, it's total bloatware. Over the summer I was consulting with a nonprofit in the unfortunate position of having to deal with Adobe for nonprofits, which is NOTORIOUSLY crazy-making. Always has been.

I mean, I get that they've got really powerful software that everybody wants, needs, etc. But honestly, what they put nonprofits through just for an install....I guess I shouldn't complain. I remember back in the floppy disk days - 20-odd disks for a damn install. Same for stupid Quark, if you remember that. Sometimes, I'm amazed that anything in this line of work, let alone the enterprise and its incompetencies, ever works at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

> Sometimes, I'm amazed that anything in this line of work, let alone the enterprise and its incompetencies, ever works at all.

That has amazed me since the days of the 20-floppy installs that you mention.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Sometimes, I'm amazed that anything in this line of work, let alone the enterprise and its incompetencies, ever works at all."

i still wonder where all the humans live inside the tv especially now since the tvs are all flat.

is that where the flat earthers are coming from?
speaking of which...do flat earthers think the, our, planet is a flat coin and if so how does water stay
where it is...but i digress. nvrmnd.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

"Sometimes, I'm amazed that anything in this line of work, let alone the enterprise and its incompetencies, ever works at all."

i still wonder where all the humans live inside the tv especially now since the tvs are all flat.

:lol:

Quote:
is that where the flat earthers are coming from?
speaking of which...do flat earthers think the, our, planet is a flat coin and if so how does water stay
where it is...but i digress. nvrmnd.

I read they now think it's donut-shaped.