It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows ... in7upgrade

Quote:
While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended.

Funny... they spent years slipping GWX PUPs onto computers that would offer you free upgrades and otherwise get in the way. Now, though, it's buy a new PC.

This is followed by links to "retail partners" and various reasons why you should give them your money prontito.

Users of $3000 graphic arts systems are going to have issues with all this.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:07 pm 
Policy Wonk

Odd. W10 actually runs a bit leaner than W7.

I'm running W10 on a system which is 6 years old and it works perfectly fine. Still, I want to upgrade as that will help with the Adobe products I use and the resolution needs to be higher.

The keeper of the budget didn't seem keen on me replacing this one though since it still manages to do what I want. The lottery gods have also been rather unhelpful.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have a laptop that's about 10 years old and it runs Windows 10 just fine. I know there were some people who had problems loading Windows 10 on their computers but I never encountered those problems. Since Microsoft is ceasing support for Windows 7 it's a good idea to gravitate to Windows 10. Now, if you have a really old computer it wouldn't be a bad idea to see if you need to replace it or make some upgrades to it.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:11 pm 
Board Emeritus

I work on my box all the time and was considering a solid state disk anyway. It wouldn't be the first time I swapped out the mainboard. Boards are cheap and you get more bang/buck than just ordering a whole new box from Dell or whoever.

My major issue is actually the monitor. When I dropped a couple of grand for it, it was the cutting edge graphic art setup of all time. They used the same model in design studios. Now it's ho hum. But this time I lack the couple of grand to replace it.

But that's me.

For users of really old PCs who just want to process words and spread sheets, yes, time for a new one. Entry level ones are el cheapo.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:13 pm 
Policy Wonk

My SSD made a big difference.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:54 am 
Board Emeritus

Well..it really is true about staying updated. When Apple or MS cut support for an OS, it puts everything at risk for bugs, malware, spyware, all manner of crap. Part of the issue is that the OSs have to keep up with advances in the hardware. Everybody wants bigger, faster more, in a smaller, lighter, leaner package so we don't have to lug around 15 lbs on a commute every day. Used to be 20. You see where I'm going with this.

You can get a decent refurbished couple seasons ago Windows 10 Pro PC from the Lenovo sale rack for $400 that will last as long as a Mac, because those things are built like tanks. Yes that's a lot of money for some to plunk down all at one time for a computer, but it's a heck of a lot less than $1900 for a brand new one.

Stop calling the cops on us.