Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:43 am 
Board Emeritus

Netflix show

Loved that interview, did NOT know most of that about Lewis, even BIGGER fan now.

Won again today, GO LEWIS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:14 pm 
Board Emeritus

My problem is not with Hamilton, who broke the color barrier in F1, and is one of history's great drivers. It's with the rules that have allowed Mercedes to win every race. Even when they were beaten (by Ferrari) in Canada, there was an incident that allowed FIA to give the race to Mercedes anyway. Even Hamilton didn't like that, since he wants to win on the track, not in the stewards' office.

I don't know how to make F1 more interesting. The French GP was on some channel we'd have to pay $20 a month to get, and I didn't really care that much, since the outcome was pretty much predetermined.

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you pissed. --Not John 8:32

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

I finally watched the French GP. It was essentially a parade. Everyone formed up at the beginning, they streamed into the street, and they finished the route in pretty much the same order as they'd started. You could have turned that one off after qualifying the day before.

I needed another cup of coffee to get through the day. Zoom, zoom, zoom, round and round they go, and where they stop, everyone knows. I think we have the new cure for insomnia.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:52 am 
Board Emeritus

I finally watched the French GP. It was essentially a parade. Everyone formed up at the beginning, they streamed into the street, and they finished the route in pretty much the same order as they'd started. You could have turned that one off after qualifying the day before.

I needed another cup of coffee to get through the day. Zoom, zoom, zoom, round and round they go, and where they stop, everyone knows. I think we have the new cure for insomnia.

Lots of empty seats too, havent seen that before, see it every weekend on NASCAR but not F1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, NASCAR attendance tanked after they made it into a poor copy of the NFL, with these bizarre race stages, then following up the season with months of playoffs. Car racing is not that complicated. The guy who finishes the last lap first wins. The guy who does this the most times is champion.

France is a funny place. It pretty much invented Grand Prix racing, but it can't seem to get it right. It fell off the calendar for a long time. They're making a go at this weird Paul Richard circuit, built by a soft drink tycoon, and incorporating a fat cat jetport for Marseilles corporations. It's a great test track, but it's not very spectator friendly, and the races are usually fairly dull. Notice how the flyover was led by a corporate jet, flanked by two of the usual military fighters. All you gotta know.

Of course next week we go to the Austria GP which is practically a division of Red Bull, but at least there the racing is usually interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:43 am 
Board Emeritus

Yes, NASCAR attendance tanked after they made it into a poor copy of the NFL, with these bizarre race stages, then following up the season with months of playoffs. Car racing is not that complicated. The guy who finishes the last lap first wins. The guy who does this the most times is champion.

France is a funny place. It pretty much invented Grand Prix racing, but it can't seem to get it right. It fell off the calendar for a long time. They're making a go at this weird Paul Richard circuit, built by a soft drink tycoon, and incorporating a fat cat jetport for Marseilles corporations. It's a great test track, but it's not very spectator friendly, and the races are usually fairly dull. Notice how the flyover was led by a corporate jet, flanked by two of the usual military fighters. All you gotta know.

Of course next week we go to the Austria GP which is practically a division of Red Bull, but at least there the racing is usually interesting.

How are the F1 rules that they favor Mercedes?

I believe you I just dont understand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:58 pm 
Board Emeritus

There was a good discussion between the Sky announcers during Austria P1 which laid it all out. The rules favor Mercedes because the strategy required to win a race is minimal at present. No refueling, one pit stop to change tires, and specifying aerodynamics that penalize the kind of close-in racing you see in Indy cars. That last one takes a good deal of driver skill out of the picture. Round and round and round they go, and where they stop, everyone knows.

The aero is why the cars go so improbably fast on what are really not very big engines. It works great, for the car it's on, but it works against interesting racing. The best place is well behind a car where there's a draft of sorts, and the worst is in a position to pass the car ahead, where it's all wake turbulence.

I'm not against Hamilton winning races, since he is the hot driver in the hot setup for that driver, but it should at least be interesting. (Notice that I leave Hamilton's race out of it. Everybody does. For me the race that matters is on the track. Still... he IS the Jackie Robinson of F1.)

Austria qualifying scrambled things up a bit, what with Hamilton being penalized and Vettel's car breaking. It's a good grid on a good track, and it should be way more interesting than the parade in France.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

See? That's how you fix F1. Austria is always good for duking it out, and that's what they did. The stewards called in Leclerc and Verstappen, but after 3 hours they decided that racing happens.

Now figure out why Austria is always a highlight of the season and you can fix F1.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:41 pm 
Board Emeritus

See? That's how you fix F1. Austria is always good for duking it out, and that's what they did. The stewards called in Leclerc and Verstappen, but after 3 hours they decided that racing happens.

Now figure out why Austria is always a highlight of the season and you can fix F1.

I still dont get how the Mercedes has the advantage over Ferrari, for instance.

Aerodynamics better somehow on Lewis's car?

As to Austria, I liked that race. It is a track I am very familiar with from playing xbox and ps3. That first and last turn are pure hell to make. I see they put rumble strips to penalize the wide angle, when I race online I am always on top of those, but in the game there is no penalty as in damage to the car.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:18 pm 
Board Emeritus

I have watched F1 all these years and did NOT notice they take August off?

weird

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yup. They go on holiday, like the whole rest of Europe. For the first two weeks, they can't work AT ALL. Lock up the buildings, go have a good time OR ELSE.

The current theory is that Ferrari figured out how to get competitive power from that fiendishly complicated hybrid engine specified in the rules, but they designed themselves into a corner with the aerodynamics and now have to live with it for the duration of the season.

F1 is all about tires. They're setting lap records all over the place, but that's the problem. They're hot-lap tires, great for Saturday, and then FIA makes them race Sunday on the same rubber compounds. If anything at all degrades, which it will in a real car race, things go wrong.

France is always going to have boring races until they move it to a real race track, not a test track with those weird stripes that hurt your eyes.