Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:31 am 
Board Emeritus

Portland leaders send unified message ahead of Proud Boys rally: Stay home

Leaders of Oregon's largest city continued their pleas for nonviolence — while warning police will be out in full force — during Saturday's planned demonstration in downtown Portland, where far-right activists and anti-fascist supporters could clash yet again.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, joined by a multiracial coalition of civil rights organizations, faith leaders and community groups, said during a gathering Wednesday that anyone "using the guise of free speech to commit acts of violence" is not welcome in the city.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/po ... y-n1042406

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:28 pm 
Board Emeritus

Portland leaders send unified message ahead of Proud Boys rally: Stay home

Leaders of Oregon's largest city continued their pleas for nonviolence — while warning police will be out in full force — during Saturday's planned demonstration in downtown Portland, where far-right activists and anti-fascist supporters could clash yet again.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, joined by a multiracial coalition of civil rights organizations, faith leaders and community groups, said during a gathering Wednesday that anyone "using the guise of free speech to commit acts of violence" is not welcome in the city.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/po ... y-n1042406

Glad people are starting to pick up on the rightwing nutjob "free speech" canard.

Typically anymore, people crowing the loudest about "free speech" want "free speech" for themselves only, and government censorship for all others. "Free" to them means "free" to kill at will and with impunity.

With this race baiting comment outta carmen, I feel I owe the guy [glen] an apology.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Glad people are starting to pick up on the rightwing nutjob "free speech" canard.

Typically anymore, people crowing the loudest about "free speech" want "free speech" for themselves only, and government censorship for all others. "Free" to them means "free" to kill at will and with impunity.

I generally don't have a problem with "Free Speech" but it stops when the person(s)/group(s) want to use their "Free Speech" as an excuse to commit violence. The Proud Boys group falls into that category.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

I generally don't have a problem with "Free Speech" but it stops when the person(s)/group(s) want to use their "Free Speech" as an excuse to commit violence. The Proud Boys group falls into that category.

No rational person has a problem with actual "free speech" But these people don't believe in it. No authoritarian or totalitarian does and yes these Proud Boys, Identity Evropa/AIM, neo-nazis, alt-right, the whole Charlottesville crowd etc., don't. They never did.

With this race baiting comment outta carmen, I feel I owe the guy [glen] an apology.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:50 pm 
Board Emeritus

Portland Police Detail Action Taken Against Protesters During Waterfront Rallies

The Portland Police Bureau (PPB) arrested 13 protesters during today's dueling demonstrations in downtown Portland.

"We believe these arrests allow us to hold those committing violent acts accountable, while at the same time deterring others from acting," said Police Chief Danielle Outlaw at a 6 pm press conference.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtow ... nt-rallies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

‘Hero’ walks into middle of Proud Boys protest and says ‘f*ck you’ to each of them

A man became a hero to the internet over the weekend after he was captured on video saying “f*ck you” to members of a group of conservative protesters known as Proud Boys.

In a video that appeared to be from Saturday’s protests in Portland, a man can be seen walking into a group of right-wing demonstrators.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/watch- ... ifications

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

So, the BLOATUS decided to tweet how Antifa should be labelled as domestic terrorists (itself nonsensical, as "Antifa" is really more an acephalous method of tactical response than a membership organization), but not one word on whether that was merited by the Proud Boys and other alt-right groups that committed acts of violence that day.

From the desk of the Twitler:
"Major consideration is being given to naming ANTIFA an “ORGANIZATION OF TERROR.” Portland is being watched very closely. Hopefully the Mayor will be able to properly do his job!"

It's weird that the first tweet Twitler has put forward about labelling a domestic group a terrorist organization was not about the Proud Boys, or any of the alt-rightists who committed violence in Portland that day resulting in their arrest, but saved that designation for a group which exists to resist and block fascism. Anti-fascism.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:47 pm 
Policy Wonk

"Nazi Lives Don't Matter" (A header on a group I visit on Facebook). We all know what Nazis and their differently named siblings are. They represent crying "fire" in a crowded theater. Much as I don't want the First Amendment despoiled, I think it's time to simply outlaw these nasty murderers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, Roy, they have the right to march in Skokie, or Portland, or anywhere else. They can shout their nasty slogans. That's permitted.

But I'm glad the Portland Police handled this properly: if these "Boys" think their "Pride" gives them the right to assault other people with violence, or commit other criminal acts, throw them in the slammer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Documents Suggest Portland Police Chief Outlaw Texted with Patriot Prayer’s Joey Gibson

Imagine my shock.

Quote:
A newly released city interview with a Portland Police Bureau (PPB) officer raises the question of whether PPB Chief Danielle Outlaw has ever communicated with Joey Gibson, leader of the far-right Vancouver, Washington based group Patriot Prayer. Though PPB denies any exchanges between Gibson and Outlaw, the interview transcript suggests otherwise.

On Thursday, Outlaw and Mayor Ted Wheeler announced that an investigation led by the Independent Police Review, a branch of the city auditor’s office, had cleared Lieutenant Jeff Niiya of any wrongdoing. Niiya was under investigation after text messages between him and Gibson—which were obtained by the Mercury and Willamette Week through public records requests and published in February—raised the question of if Niiya had been overly friendly with or protective toward Gibson and his fellow Patriot Prayer members.

After announcing IPR’s findings, the city released a trove of documents used in the investigation, including a transcript of an interview between Niiya and IPR investigator Andrea Damewood. (Full disclosure: Damewood writes food and drink reviews for the Mercury, but does not have any involvement with our news reporting.)

Their conversation is wide-ranging, and at one point they discuss the nature of police liaison work. Niiya makes the point that it’s common for police liaisons to communicate with people who could potentially pose a danger to officer or public safety, and also asks that IPR look “for improvements in the process” of both how PPB’s liaisons are trained and how they do their jobs. Niiya then says this:

“What has happened with me and how can we do better because when the chief of police knows—our current chief of police is someone else that knew about my text messages. There's text messages that you have between me and the chief and Joey, so when the highest level of people in this organization are aware of things, they need—they need to understand that there is a chain that everyone's held accountable and that we need to do better around this.”

Niiya appears to be saying two things here: both that Chief Outlaw was aware of the texts shared between Niiya and Gibson, and that she participated in some of those text conversations.

When reached for comment via email, PPB spokesperson Brad Yakots told the Mercury, “I can confirm that Chief Outlaw never had communication with Joey Gibson.”

Well, let's hope not. :problem:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

I don't understand why the word "outlaw" appeared and reappeared like it had been aimlessly scattered about, scattered throughout???

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:55 pm 
Board Emeritus

The chief of the Portland Police Bureau really is named Danielle Outlaw. Chief Outlaw. She's African American.

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/article/657352

You can't make up shit this good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:39 pm 
Board Emeritus

The chief of the Portland Police Bureau really is named Danielle Outlaw. Chief Outlaw. She's African American.

Well, you kind of can. Cops gonna cop. Police Chief gonna police chief. That includes Black cops and Black police chiefs. Not always, but usually, and all to often.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:17 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, names can be funny things. There was a newspaper fellow who used to live around here named W. Epaninondas Adrastus Blab.

People called him Sam, or Mark Twain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:06 pm 
Board Emeritus

Well, you kind of can. Cops gonna cop. Police Chief gonna police chief. That includes Black cops and Black police chiefs. Not always, but usually, and all to often.

Well sure, L.A. has had both, but it didn't really help.

It remains, however, that the name Chief Outlaw proves that irony is not dead.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:24 pm 
Board Emeritus

White cops always gonna cop though, eh carmen?

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:37 pm 
Board Emeritus

White cops always gonna cop though, eh carmen?

Um, reread the post, con male.

It said:

"Cops gonna cop. Police Chief gonna police chief. That includes Black cops and Black police chiefs. Not always, but usually, and all to often."

You may swap out whichever communities you please for "Black," makes no difference to me; cops gonna gop, police chiefs gonna police chief.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

I read the post. Nothing has changed. I'm waiting to see a post from you where you're up some black cop's ass for killing a non-compliant gangbanger with a gun.

You're even up minority Latino cop's asses...a good cop like George Hernandez for instance.

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:46 pm 
Board Emeritus

I read the post. Nothing has changed. I'm waiting to see a post from you where you're up some black cop's ass for killing a non-compliant gangbanger with a gun.

You're even up minority Latino cop's asses...a good cop like George Hernandez for instance.

What is going on with your fantasy about being up me being up various people's a##es, or you wiping my a##? :?

I don't care about [tokenism]George Hernandez[/tokenism].

I've not said one thing about [tokenism]George Hernandez[/tokenism], ever. Stop tokenizing that guy and using him as a prop. I don't care about him being Latino or minority, only you do but just for your own identity-constitution purposes. But then, that' exactly how tokenism works. It's never about the actual human beings you guys use as race-tokens, gender-tokens, or sexuality-tokens. It's about your own perverse, distorted ideas about yourselves.

People are just shown-off objects, props, social tokens, and ownable items with a purchase price, to conservative males. We're all whores, to people like you.

Anyway, I don't care about any of your weird, authoritarian, perverted conservative male desires, fella.

You just keep hanging on my every word for what I say about the cops. You're not as attentive or knowledgeable as you think you are.