RadioFreeLiberal.com

Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:52 am 
Board Emeritus

You know where some of the biggest libertarian whack jobs are? Silicon Valley.

Some have really, really gone off the rails, IMHO. I hope someday someone will provide John McAfee with the life-saving intervention he needs.

I'm afraid the virus, the worms, they entered his brain.

Don't get me going on Peter Thiel. Now, what really confuses me about that mofo is not just his usual Silly-Conned Valley libertarianism, but also that he has squared away the algorithm for dividing by zero by supporting Donald Trump, who most of the other Right-Libertarians know damn well has been one of our most authoritarian presidents ever.

Also, BTW, the liberty of freedom of speech apparently doesn't extend to Gawker, who he helped shut down from the shadows. Don't get me wrong ... as "media outlets" go they were celebrity-chasing, national-enquirer level scum, but ... as they say, they had a right to print their crap, even if it (gasp) revealed Hulk Hogan's shitty has-been private life, or Thiel's carefully guarded sexual orientation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:34 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oil got too big... government stepped in.

Railroads used freight rates to manipulate the economy... government stepped in.

Movie studios owned the means of distribution and exhibition... government stepped in.

Big bankers almost crashed the whole global credit system... government stepped in.

Tech is eating the retail business, and putting everyone under surveillance, and deciding which political views get traction, all the time being run by 4-5 of the richest men in the world................

..... we're waiting...............

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oil got too big... government stepped in.

Railroads used freight rates to manipulate the economy... government stepped in.

Movie studios owned the means of distribution and exhibition... government stepped in.

Big bankers almost crashed the whole global credit system... government stepped in.

Tech is eating the retail business, and putting everyone under surveillance, and deciding which political views get traction, all the time being run by 4-5 of the richest men in the world................

..... we're waiting...............

Yes and here's where it gets...complicated. Ma Bell got too big and government stepped in.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com
:lol: gay people are geniuses. Well a lot of us are, anyway.

Took them almost a decade to do it, but government stepped in. With the Telecomm Act of 96, the Baby Bell (Southwestern Bell) ended up buying Ma Bell (AT&T Corp). :?

It's gotten even more dizzying ever since, but this and the commercial internet as we know it is because of the Telecomm Act of 96. And the former Baby Bells are still how so many of us access the internet at all.

With this race baiting comment outta carmen, I feel I owe the guy [glen] an apology.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

Broken the law? No. And guess what? The assholes in the banking sector didn’t break the law prior to the Great Depression or the Great Recession. They were stupid, greedy fucks who clobbered the economy with their actions. So I don’t give a fuck if Tim Cook hasn’t broken the law.

"Breaking the law" is one of those slippery concepts, especially to authoritarians.

Pritchett and Kelly weren't breaking the law, either. The kids they threw in jail were.

There may be, however, a case made for antitrust charges against these co's when they act as a cartel, which they definitely do when it comes to cross-site/platform advertising. But that's a different thread. Apple is too big, Facebook is too big, Google/Alphabet is too big, Amazon/Whole Foods/Washington Post is too big and all of them need to be Ma Belled. But then considering what happened in the aftermath of the Ma Bell breakup, which is part of how we got here in the first place, then what?

With this race baiting comment outta carmen, I feel I owe the guy [glen] an apology.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:10 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yes, the irony of breaking up Ma Bell is that we now have, 40 years later, an AT & T that some people say is actually bigger, more monopolistic, and less responsive to consumers than before.

The U.S. gov't tried to invoke antitrust against Microsoft but AFAICT all they convinced Microsoft to do in the mid-90s was take the Internet Explorer icon off the desktop.

I'm not against antitrust, I get the argument, but I also agree in the tech sector it has NEVER quite produced optimal outcomes.

There has always been a lot of evidence Microsoft behaved in monopolistic fashion. They strong-armed OEMs to pre-load their OS on all their hardware. But the government never did anything.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:13 pm 
Board Emeritus

Too big is no reason for government to step into anything. Acting in illegal restraint of trade is a reason for government to step in. Using thug tactics to break unions is a reason for government to step in. Hell...the robber barons just shot union organizers, and got away with it. "The copper bosses killed you, Joe."

The problem is...the days of having a government where the parties therein are interested or even capable of cooperating with each other to resolve such issues are over.

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:29 pm 
Board Emeritus

So here's what Microsoft used to say to everybody making PC clones in the 90s. Dell, Acer, whomever.

You will pre-load Windows on your machine. You will NOT even offer an OPTION to dual boot into anything else (OS/2. Linux, etc.) If you want Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer, don't you dare pre-load on that machine Netscape Navigator or WP Office. Or we charge you the non-OEM price for everything. Some folks would call that anti-competitive restraint of trade.

It was Microsoft's business model. Well, that and buying anybody selling competing software, usually to just put them out of business.

It's weird these days how everybody talks about "GAFA" and not that fifth beast in the room. Who continues to argue their OS is on 90% of computers simply because it's the best, most secure, most stable, and bug free.

(It is much better today but making that argument in the era of Windows 98 was a massive joke.)

You can stop laughing now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

I think the model we have now is that we never buy software anymore. It's always their software, we're just renting it...by the month. The day is gonna come when we don't even own the hardware devices...we rent them too. And we have to pay them for storing out photos, music and videos...oh wait...we're already renting that space.

BBbbuuuttt, I just bought this reconditioned Windows 7 Dell computer at the Goodwill. I can't put my software on it? What software? You don't own any software. Pay for the windows 10 upgrade and you can rent some software.

Etc., etc.

BUT YOU'RE NOT RACIST....EXCEPT WHEN YOU ARE.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, it seems Microsoft Office for Mac has gone that way; you don't "buy" the app or pay for upgrades; you "lease" or "rent" it on a semi-annual basis. It's not yours, its "ours," you're just borrowing it for a while.

Well, one of the things I really find fascinating is what's happening to gaming in the phone/tablet space. Also, starting to move to consoles.

Just about all the gaming apps may have the price for the app itself. Whatever it is, let's say $5.

Oh, but wait a second. You want to buy a better, faster laser gun? That'll be a $2 in-app purchase.

You want gold/coins/credits to buy body armor and other equipment for your character. Buy a $5 loot box.

You want some upgrades to your character's abilities/skills? That'll be $3.

All of a sudden, you've spent $50 on that $5 game. "Pay to win". It's all very clever. Lots of games and other apps have "in app" purchases, and considering many of them are being used by kids who have not exactly yet learned that lesson about fools and money, and sometimes all it takes to trigger that purchase is to hit a button in the game ... boy, it's a clever racket.