Ginger Baker, Drummer For Cream Has Died At 80

What's up today?

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Re: Ginger Baker, Drummer For Cream Has Died At 80

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:12 pm wrote:
Ah, pre-Steve Journey. I'll take a listen because nothing from either is coming to mind.

Lol but re: Steve-era Journey, when I've had a couple to drink, "Wheel in the Sky" and of course "Don't Stop Believin'" are a couple of my karaoke songs. Lol I actually once got a request to close out karaoke with "Don't Stop..."

Lol one time when I went to karaoke with a choir I was playing with in the '00s I sang all these hard rock/Journey/Toto, etc. songs. My ex, who at that point was also a fellow bandmate (I know...exes in the band...disaster) was like, *offended*. She was like, why you sing all these rock songs and I was like [shrug] Steve Perry sings in my range. And turned around and walked away. :lol:

Fun
as in Karaoke

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5At4xJ-7nys[/BBvideo]

this album and

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usp689smA8g[/BBvideo]
I dont read or respond to rightwingers

bird
Board Emeritus

Post by bird »

Ike Bana » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:54 pm wrote:

Thanks bird. I like it a lot. I never understood why Mr. Weinstein wasn't more highly regarded by the critical press.
Ah, Leslie West, the Great Fatsby!
bird's theorem-"we the people" are stupid.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

The new motto of the USA: Unum de multis. Out of one, many.

Ike Bana
Board Emeritus

Post by Ike Bana »

bird » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 pm wrote: Ah, Leslie West, the Great Fatsby!
I don't know what he's up to lately, but the youtubes out there showing him up on stage making music from his wheel chair with only one leg left are just amazing. He seems to be in fine shape, and enjoying himself immensely. Have you seen the youtube with Leslie doing Mississippi Queen trading leads with Peter Frampton? It's pretty good.

bird
Board Emeritus

Post by bird »

Ike Bana » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:13 am wrote:
I don't know what he's up to lately, but the youtubes out there showing him up on stage making music from his wheel chair with only one leg left are just amazing. He seems to be in fine shape, and enjoying himself immensely. Have you seen the youtube with Leslie doing Mississippi Queen trading leads with Peter Frampton? It's pretty good.
Yeah, I saw it. I enjoyed it very much.

"No one is so foolish as to choose war over peace. In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons." - Herodotus

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:53 pm wrote:

Fun
as in Karaoke

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5At4xJ-7nys[/BBvideo]

this album and

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usp689smA8g[/BBvideo]
Ooo thanks! Getting into the first one...I am going to find them on Spotify.

Stop calling the cops on us.

Ike Bana
Board Emeritus

Post by Ike Bana »

bird » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:35 am wrote: Yeah, I saw it. I enjoyed it very much.
They say, Leslie West was not the most innovative guitarist. Feh. But it's true that we have heard all his licks from numerous other people. But what he always had, that nobody else ever seemed to be able to match, was that heavier than plutonium tone. I just can't get enough of that tone. The story goes that Mountain's first gig was in early 1969 at the Fillmore West, and he was renting the Marshall's and having them delivered to the Fillmore. When it got there it was all the wrong gear. The only head was this Sunn PA that would never do as a guitar amp and four big Sunn 4X12 Sunn PA cabinets. But it had some unusual controls including a master volume for the four mic inputs, so he set it up, and played around with it. At some point he over-drove everything and opened the tone all the way...and there it was. The Leslie West tone. Played on a single pick-up Les Paul Jr. with the tone opened all the way. The first time most of us heard it in all it's glory was the opening licks of "Mississippi Queen." Now it can be reproduced on all sorts of equipment, but that tone will always belong to Leslie West.

So here's something a little more recent, "Standing On A Higher Ground" from Unusual Suspects 2011. It's Leslie West and the only other guy with a comparable heavy tone, Billy Gibbons. I hear this thing and I can't sit still...

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJbVYxq2XPo[/BBvideo]

RoyPDX
Policy Wonk

Post by RoyPDX »

Speaking of drummers--watch in the future for this German teenage woman, Sina, who apparently does covers on Youtube.

The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood he was one of them. —West Asian Fable

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

RoyPDX » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:17 am wrote:Speaking of drummers--watch in the future for this German teenage woman, Sina, who apparently does covers on Youtube.

Love her, watching her a long time.

RoyPDX
Policy Wonk

Post by RoyPDX »

Yes, I wish her all the success in the world. There's quite a few female drummers, but for whatever reason, few of them are well known. Like...Karen Carpenter is the only lady drummer that comes to mind.
The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood he was one of them. —West Asian Fable

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

RoyPDX » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:29 am wrote:Yes, I wish her all the success in the world. There's quite a few female drummers, but for whatever reason, few of them are well known. Like...Karen Carpenter is the only lady drummer that comes to mind.
Teri Lynne Carrington is another. And of course Gina Schock from the Go Go's.

RoyPDX
Policy Wonk

Post by RoyPDX »

:) And Carlos Santana's wife, Cindy Blackman.

Oh! And another lady from Chicago, Gina Knight:

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

Grace Slick is 80, too. One of the GOAT voices in all of rock.

ICONIC JEFFERSON AIRPLANE AND STARSHIP SINGER GRACE SLICK CELEBRATES HER 80TH BIRTHDAY TODAY - K-SURF

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

All I know is when we were smoking the first sensimilla humboldt or some of the first, JA was always one of the records playing in the background.

Or Carole King Tapestry

Or

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEBlaMOmKV4[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-5MI9-yjU[/BBvideo]

bird
Board Emeritus

Post by bird »

At parties in college the first thing I played was The Crazy World of Arthur Brown’s Fire. I followed that with Leon Russell’s medley of Jumpin’ Jack Flash and Youngblood off the Concert for Bangladesh.

RoyPDX
Policy Wonk

Post by RoyPDX »

Oh! And Tina Turner turns 80 this month!

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

bird » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 pm wrote:At parties in college the first thing I played was The Crazy World of Arthur Brown’s Fire. I followed that with Leon Russell’s medley of Jumpin’ Jack Flash and Youngblood off the Concert for Bangladesh.

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf13o-21jp8[/BBvideo]

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

RoyPDX » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:11 am wrote:Oh! And Tina Turner turns 80 this month!
[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2T5_seDNZE[/BBvideo]

Ike Bana
Board Emeritus

Post by Ike Bana »

bird » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:06 pm wrote:At parties in college the first thing I played was The Crazy World of Arthur Brown’s Fire. I followed that with Leon Russell’s medley of Jumpin’ Jack Flash and Youngblood off the Concert for Bangladesh.
Well if I've had a favorite rock performer over my lifetime, it's probably Leon. Now the "Jumpin' Jack Flash' part of the medley left me a bit cold...but the "Youngblood" part has always been on of my favorite things from Leon.

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

RoyPDX
Policy Wonk

Post by RoyPDX »

Speaking of great female artists, the late Candy Givens would be 74 or 75 now.

bird
Board Emeritus

Post by bird »

Ike Bana » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:28 pm wrote:
Well if I've had a favorite rock performer over my lifetime, it's probably Leon. Now the "Jumpin' Jack Flash' part of the medley left me a bit cold...but the "Youngblood" part has always been on of my favorite things from Leon.
I just like the contrast between the Stones and Leon’s take on Jumping Jack Flash. Youngblood was flat out great.