Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Best Little Known Movies
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:47 am 
Board Emeritus

Anyone have any favorite movies that weren't a big hit or haven't gotten much attention? I like the movie Phenomenon staring John Travolta.

Travolta plays George Malley, a small town auto mechanic who, on the night of his birthday party at the local bar, goes outside and sees a bright light streaking towards him and then knocks him off his feet. When he asks his friends in the bar if they saw or heard anything no one knows what he's talking about. As the days go by he develops an insatiable thirst for reading and knowledge reading 4 - 5 books a day. He helps his friend who is a ham radio operator decipher a military code he picks up on his ham radio and tells him to send them a response. Because of this the military take him to a secure facility and interrogate him as to where he got the military codes for the message. The YouTube link below shows the test he was given of his abilities.

Throughout the story, he tries, and eventually does, get to know a single woman (Kyra Sedgwick) with 2 young kids with whom he's been trying to date. He eventually wins her over only to find out he has a massive brain tumor that is the cause of his abilities.

This is a low-key movie that has humor, love, and that little "what if" factor that tests how we and our friends would react to the gift he had.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:09 am 
Policy Wonk

I'll nominate Bagdad Cafe, a brilliant quiet film from 1987 about a little diner in the American southwestern desert. A German woman walks into the place and slowly, almost magically, helps everyone find themselves. It's a story of friendship and redemption, and absolutely unforgettable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:27 pm 
Board Emeritus

One of my favorite movies is Waking Ned Divine, a delightful little Irish film about winning the lotto. It did actually get some critical acclaim when it hit the U.S., but as usual, foreign films (even though this one is in English and perfectly follows a standard narrative arc) don't seem to last long in the consciousness.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:40 pm 
Board Emeritus

yeh, i liked bahgdad cafe too...i like road trip movies.

PowWow Highway.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098112/

Grand Theft Parsons
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338075/

An Unfinished Life (2005)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0350261/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:00 am 
Policy Wonk

saving grace (2000) with Brenda Blethyn and Craig Ferguson is the funniest little known movie I have ever seen

its about a woman that is losing her home because her cheating husband committed suicide, leaving her deep in debt "the house is 300 years old, it must be paid off by now" :rw)

her gardener (Craig Ferguson) lets her know that pot is very valuable, so she puts her orchid greenhouse to good use

warning ... not recommended for Nem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:15 pm 
Board Emeritus

Hearts and Souls starring Robert Downey Jr., Kyra Segwick, and Charles Grodin.

On their way to the hospital for the birth of the child a couple are involved in a fatal car-bus accident (caused by the bus driver) causing the baby to be born at the accident sire. The bus driver and 4 passengers are killed but the passengers' souls are linked to baby. As he, Thomas, grows, only he can see and talk to the ghosts. When school officials become concerned about him the ghosts decide it is time for them to disappear which only means Thomas won't be able to see them. Later, as a grown man the ghosts return because they learn the reason they are linked to him. They need to resolve problems they had in their lives in order to move on to Heaven and only through Thomas can the solve their problem.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:28 pm 
Policy Wonk

I'll name a good movie that you probably haven't seen, "Start the Revolution Without Me". Gene Wilder is funny as hell. So is Donald Sutherland.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:53 pm 
Board Emeritus

I'll name a good movie that you probably haven't seen, "Start the Revolution Without Me". Gene Wilder is funny as hell. So is Donald Sutherland.

I loved that movie. Two scenes that I remember are when the brothers are in boat and the boater insists they have some awful wine, one brother drinks it and looks like he's going to be sick and the other brother refuses say "I have a bad liver."

The other scene is in the ball room when King Louie is coming down the grand stairs in a rooster costume. As he's announced he looks around and sees everyone is dressed in formal attire. He goes through the crowd saying "I thought it was a costume ball".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:16 pm 
Policy Wonk

Bagdad Cafe is one of my favorites. Haunting music and movie.

Two more are El Bola and Children of Heaven. I love most movies that are on the Film Movement label.

Oh, and Flawless.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:22 pm 
Policy Wonk

Can I help it if I have such a long stride?

It's a bit dated, but funny.

Here's a classic movie which is all but forgotten today: The President's Analyst. James Coburn stars in the title role. It has spies from America, Russia and Canada; they're all funny and the gay Russian is unforgettable. And there are hippies, suburbanites (William Daniels is a scream), and rampant paranoia. In short, it's a view of America in 1968, and I can't forget it. If you get a chance, watch it.

And beware of the phone company.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:12 am 
Board Emeritus

The Hollywood Knights. It's a comedy from 1980 starring Robert Wuhl in the lead role as Newbomb. Tony Danza is listed the only "star" from that time but it also features a very young Michelle Pfeiffer, Fran Drescher (The Nanny), and Leigh French (the hippie chick from The Smothers Brothers Show).

The film is set on Halloween Night 1965 at Tubby's Drive-Thru in beverly Hills. Newbomb Turk is leader of The Hollywooed Knights, a car club whose hangout is Tubby's which is closing the next day much to the delight of the Beverly Hills homeowners. The antics of is sophomoric but funny. It's more of a raunchier version of American Graffiti.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:58 am 
Policy Wonk

One of my favorite movies is Waking Ned Divine, a delightful little Irish film about winning the lotto. It did actually get some critical acclaim when it hit the U.S., but as usual, foreign films (even though this one is in English and perfectly follows a standard narrative arc) don't seem to last long in the consciousness.

Damn, ya beat me to it!
Great film!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:35 pm 
Board Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:53 am 
Policy Wonk

Saw this when it first came out. A real sleeper-comedy; keeps you on edge. Sally Kellerman, James Caan, Peter Boyle.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:24 pm 
Policy Wonk

I always felt Mr. Holland's Opus was an underrated movie. Not sure if it's "little known" or not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

A Nous la Liberté. Rene Clair, 1931. French with English subtitles, if you're lucky. Fortunately, it doesn't have a lot of dialog, being transitional from silent to sound. The sound is still studied in film schools. French cinema at its best. Underlying political message, of the times, but becoming relevant again in the New Gilded Age.

If you've seen Jacques Tati's legendary stuff with the Hulot character... well, this is where he got it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:02 pm 
Board Emeritus

Time After Time starring Malcom McDowell, Mary Steenburgen, and David Warner.

In 1893, the police come to H.G. Wells (McDowell) home in search of Jack the Ripper and Wells learns his dinner guest, Dr. Stevenson, is actually Jack the Ripper. Earlier in the evening, Wells had shown his guests his machine and explained how it worked. After searching the house, but not finding Dr. Stevenson Wells, discovers his time machine is missing and realizes Stevenson stole it. When the Time Machine returns empty Wells becomes determined to follow Stevenson to 1979 San Francisco and bring him back to 1893 London for trial. Wells is shocked to discover how different 1979 is from 1983 and he has to adapt quickly if he's to be successful and prevent more killings in 1979. Along the way, Wells becomes involved with a young lady (Steenbergen) complicating him mission.

David Warner's portrayal of an evil killer is one of his best (IMO) performances. McDowell, as Wells, is an innocent and idealistic man out of his time is very good and provides low-key humor as he tries to learn how to act in 1979 like ordering food at McDonald's or how to use common items like an electric toothbrush.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:08 pm 
Board Emeritus

Time After Time is another winner. Fun story, well executed. Time travel humor is always good for cinematic moments when the traveler is confronted with a different world.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

Time After Time is another winner. Fun story, well executed. Time travel humor is always good for cinematic moments when the traveler is confronted with a different world.

I liked this dialogue between H.G. Wells and Amy Robbins.

Wells and Amy are sitting on her couch, start kissing, and she starts unbuttoning his clothes.

Amy: "Is the rest of this outfit as interesting?"
Wells: "Amy. Amy. I don't want to compromise you. Are you certain I'm not forcing you--?"
Amy: "Forcing me? My God, Herbert, I'm practically raping you."
Wells: "Yeah, that's true."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:15 pm 
Policy Wonk

One of the funniest movies in my life and almost no one I know ever heard of it:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pm 
Board Emeritus

Then there's the whole bad-SF genre. Mostly 1950s, the kind of special fx where space ships have rising smoke behind them in a supposed vacuum, and the kind of stories that try to hit people over the head about how scary nuclear bombs are when everyone knows that already. Good midnight movies, had Rocky Horror not pre-empted that entire scene.

All time fave here is the giant ants. Leaving it out that if you scaled ants that large, their exoskeletons would fail and they'd crash to ground as gooey messes. Little kid comes to and yells "THEM! It's THEM!" There's the title and the one-sheet. Co-starring the L.A. "river." Cheap location. Supposed patient in a mental hospital above same in a building whose exterior is (I think, but it's been a while) actually part of City Hall. Comments about a different sort of loonie asylum are not out of order in L.A..

There's a more obscure one called Satellite in the Sky. British, with lots of distinguished theater-school accents. Really a fun movie to look at, though ridiculous. The FX, which sucked, were still enough to get the guy a gig on Kubrick's drug opera 2001: A Space Odyssey. 1956, I believe, in CinemaScope and WarnerColor, when both of those were a big deal. The Brits build this fake Flash Gordon zap-a-rama space ship that launches from a badly composited fake building up a pretty good mat-painted fake ramp, trailing the usual smoke that looks more like someone put down their cigarette. At one point the smoke puts a shadow on the backdrop that was being a sky behind the model. "Leave it in," says the director. "If they're noticing that, your story's failed anyway." (As always, the best movie dialog occurs at dailies screenings, when you see everything wrong with your footage for the first time.)

The story, of course, is ridiculous. They're secretly testing this apocalyptic new superbomb which would cause instant human extinction if they tested it on Earth. They hope such a doomsday machine will scare people out of having wars any more. (Funny, real doomsday machines never seem to do that.)

Some broad stowed away on the space ship. Unlike real space ships, it has plenty of room. The bottom deck looks like the storeroom in some New York basement. Oh, and did I mention, nothing floats like in orbit in the real world. They walk around and stuff stays put and everything. It's the first manned mission ever in orbit, but they've already solved microgravity.

The broad falls in love with the male lead of course. There's some trouble with Da Bomb and everyone's gonna die. The problem is against anything anyone ever learned about orbital mechanics. La-dee-da. Oh, Annie.

Ending is just like you'd expect in a 1956 movie. He gets the girl. Da Bomb goes off, but it doesn't get the ship. Re-entry, what's that? No prob, apparently. Land, go through baggage claim, live happily ever after. Fade out.

Last edited by ZoWie on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:23 pm 
Board Emeritus

One of the funniest movies in my life and almost no one I know ever heard of it:

Heard of it, when it came out I think I saw it because Belushi is in it.

HAve to watch again

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

I got tired of Belushi chewing scenery, but that's just me.

There's always good old Plan Nine from Outer Space, but I think that's more of interest to people who know what can go wrong in movie production. Plan Nine became the movie-school legend that it is because you watch it all go wrong at once. It's obvious that the director is continually saying no problem, we have to save film stock and can't afford retakes, next setup please. This is very entertaining to cinema types, but probably to the public it's just another incoherent movie.

Wiki sez:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Outer_Space

Quote:
For years, when the film was shown on television, viewers could see random objects cluttering the top and bottom of the frame (microphones in plain sight, hardware items placed below the actors, etc.). This would lead viewers to conclude that director Wood was being careless as usual, and should have known better than to stage these scenes so poorly. However, in the film's original theatrical runs, the top and bottom of the frame were cut off when the film was projected on a wide screen. The resulting images were properly composed, proving that Wood knew what he was doing all along. A DVD release in the widescreen format demonstrates Wood's intended compositions.

This writer is full of it. You learned about the third week in movie school that, even if the camera operator was shooting with a hard matte in the viewfinder, it was essential to protect what the whole Academy aperture saw because that's what got on television using the old 1.33 frame instead of the old reduced-aperture theatrical projection. Wood was being careless.

Happens to everybody. In the first theatrical print of Roots, hopefully fixed in release, they pan right and expose a lighting cable and part of a stand, in the middle of 1600s Africa. Didn't see it on TV (old CRTs also overscanned).

Wood was in his usual hurry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:09 pm 
Board Emeritus

marindem mentioned a movie in another thread that I liked. Serial, from 1980, is movie satirizing the people who live in Marin County. It's a time when the hippie movement and sexual revolution, begins to move into the middle class, people are embracing New Ageism, raising their "consciousness" all while living a yuppie lifestyle. Martin Mull plays a "average" man and junior bank executive whose wife and daughter are into New Ageism. It's his reaction to the changes in his family and friends and his attempted foray into the changing culture that makes the movie worth watching.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:00 pm 
Board Emeritus

Yeah, The Serial was fun, and the book was even better. The New Age hippie-but-keep-your-corporate-job-and-McMansion thing was ravaging L.A. too at the time. I'm sure most of the rest of the U.S. took it as, "Look what silly things they're into in California now."

My main problem with the book is that they spelled Klipsch wrong, though that might have been intentional. The culture described therein seemed like a waste of good speakers.