Talk about it here.

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

ap215
Board Emeritus

Poll: Overwhelming majority say news media making US more po

Post by ap215 »

That's been going on for a long time now

Poll: Overwhelming majority say news media making US more politically divided

An overwhelming majority of voters say the news media is making the United States more politically divided, according to a Hill-HarrisX poll released Friday.

The survey of 1,001 registered voters found that 75 percent believe that the way news is reported increases the political divide, compared to only 7 percent who say it has made the county less politically divided.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/rising/47883 ... ly-divided" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Re: Poll: Overwhelming majority say news media making US mor

Post by ZoWie »

Chicken and egg. The Nooz used to, for the most part, follow the official government line and the mainstream cultures. It fragmented about the time the country did, and it's been a self-amplification feedback loop ever since.

Hard to argue with the premise in the poll question, though. I'd have to be in the 75%. You see it at work with this divisive POTUS.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

Yeah!

:|

I wonder who those 7% who say it has made the county less politically divided are???

Are they the same 7% who approve of Congress???

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

whats media sppsd to do...not cover what this idiot admin does, and says...and insults and harms and
ruins and destroys.

if the public doesnt like it then dont watch it. try getting away from what this admin does...yeh try that.
thats the issue: there is no escape from these insane rich white guys. like being covered in toxins.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids, They speak
for all that is cruel stupid, They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of
these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it, Fuck them.
HST.

Doremus Jessup
Political Junkie

Post by Doremus Jessup »

Journalism has always contributed to the political divide.

Motor City
Board Emeritus

Post by Motor City »

Inside the U.S. military's raid against its own security guards that left dozens of Afghan children dead
…….U.S. military officials publicly touted the August 22, 2008, Azizabad raid – Operation Commando Riot – as a victory. A high-value Taliban target had been killed; the collateral damage was minimal; the village was grateful.
None of it was true.

The Taliban commander escaped. Dozens of civilians were dead in the rubble, including as many as 60 children. The local population rioted.

It remains one of the deadliest civilian casualty events of the Afghan campaign. But the story of how the operation turned tragic has been largely hidden from the public.

USA TODAY spent more than a year investigating the Azizabad raid and sued the Department of Defense to obtain almost 1,000 pages of investigative files previously kept secret because it had been deemed “classified national security information.” The records included photographs of the destruction in Azizabad and sworn testimony from the U.S. forces who planned and executed the operation...…...

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

Doremus Jessup » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:14 pm wrote:Journalism has always contributed to the political divide.
And the political divide has always affected journalism, by building in biases.

They interact.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

So, there are analyses showing the country is more polarized than ever, ideologically, partisanly, but ... I rarely see deep discussion of causation.

Media is usually mentioned as a factor. Now, I agree, the "silo problem" is more present than ever -- one can go through one's life reading/watching nothing but the Intercept, Jimmy Dore, and Democracy Now! -- I remember a poster who used to advocate that media diet ... or similarly, have nothing but OAN, Breitbart, and Faux News, and live in what Msr. Maher calls their "filter bubble".

I found it odd defending the fact that I still read what people call "the lame stream" ... I still read the NYT, WaPo occasionally, yeah I watch the PBS NewsHour, I listen to NPR ... yes I'm aware of the structural problems of so-called "corporate media" and filter it for obvious corporate bias ... I don't avoid it. I also will gaze at the Nation and other so-called "alternative" media too. I think a relatively broad media diet is not a bad thing, personally.

I think our politicians have become more polarized because of gerrymandering. They have tough primaries where they have to out-ideologue their primary opponents, then general elections where they sail without much of a challenge in a cushy, built-for-them district. That is a factor. It means the center has disappeared in both parties. I find it funny people still bitch about the DLC; it ceased to exist in 2011, I think for this reason.

I also once read a study that said a big cause of the polarization in the people or the electorate is actually growing socioeconomic inequality. I also think that's a factor.
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

ZoWie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:25 pm wrote:
And the political divide has always affected journalism, by building in biases.

They interact.
with the national enquirer AKA faux snooze doling out lies falsehoods and ignoring actual "news"
becuz it doesnt fit their scheme, their version, of reality..half the con-try is barely able to discern
fact from fiction. youngers dont follow faux that much, glad for them.

reality is reality, it doesnt matter how you see it, bottom line is water is wet.
those morning faux dopes are shameful actors on a reality show pretending to be 'news'.
its not news. its overpaid bullshitting all legs short skirts and dumb white guys.

i only see it when its used in a comedy bit, and that is more than enough for me.
hard to believe how stupid it is and, they get away with it. for merica.
oh wait, no its for money. lying for money, the usual M.O.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids, They speak
for all that is cruel stupid, They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of
HST.

Motor City
Board Emeritus

Post by Motor City »

rainwater wrote: with the national enquirer AKA faux snooze doling out lies falsehoods and ignoring actual "news"
becuz it doesnt fit their scheme, their version, of reality..half the con-try is barely able to discern
fact from fiction. youngers dont follow faux that much, glad for them.

reality is reality, it doesnt matter how you see it, bottom line is water is wet.
those morning faux dopes are shameful actors on a reality show pretending to be 'news'.
its not news. its overpaid bullshitting all legs short skirts and dumb white guys.

i only see it when its used in a comedy bit, and that is more than enough for me.
hard to believe how stupid it is and, they get away with it. for merica.
oh wait, no its for money. lying for money, the usual M.O.
if you turn off the sound and watch how they are speaking to us its pretty telling.

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

I've done the sound thing many times. It's part of the basic media education where I come from.

It is, indeed, a revelation.

Nobody talks to you that way face to face because we are not optical devices behind Teleprompter screens. You see a far wider vision of the universe, and the person talking to you does not have every word they are going to say appearing before them first.

Directorially we say it's an intimate medium. Actors in a movie don't look at the camera because they are in a dramatic work with a story. That would stop the story cold. Features for the big screen are not intimate, and entertainment TV shows are only half way toward being intimate. News readers stare you right in the face, the way a guy selling you a bad used car would. While they are addressing a mass audience, they are talking to YOU, like Uncle Sam on the recruiting poster.

While you are being sold the bridge, words from nowhere appear in written form all around the speaker. Sometimes they move, Times Square style. Makes them look really immediate, like it's coming straight off the wires, which it isn't. Sometimes the words are stationary, and they appear inside little pictures cobbled up by humans and machines. They're over the shoulder of the used car salesman, so the biz calls them shoulder graphics.

This all gets subliminal, and soon you're scared and don't know why.

The medium is why.

Faux politicized this, though you can argue that it was political before that, but in a different way. We don't need Hitler. We have his mechanical clone on little screens worldwide.

rainwater
Board Emeritus

Post by rainwater »

Motor City » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:00 pm wrote:
if you turn off the sound and watch how they are speaking to us its pretty telling.
no i cant do that. its creepy enough seeing it replayed in bits which still show how they pretend,
how they act out the shit theyre saying.
its reality show fake news done by reality show characters acting out roles.
factual "news" means nothing to them. nada. zip.

big paychecks for acting roles of sitting on a couch grinning like fools, those paychecks are swell.
not as swell for the leggey women tho. many who btw dont seem to mind being paid less or theyd
speak the fuck up. but its faux, isnt it.
HST.

RealityCheck

Post by RealityCheck »

How much was by design compared to just dumb luck.... who knows ! Although I’d imagine more the former. Is lika magic trick!! All the little sheep focused on everything & everyone else, convinced of this/that... totally oblivious to the fact they are running through life half blind.

Sure workin like a charm though..... what r they cracking record disapproval #s in nearly every category along with rising dissatisfaction pretty much across the board.... yet every year we see not only more of the same, but amplified efforts to tighten their grip...

Hate to say it but never gonna end either.... they’re not capable.

The sad part is just how brainwashed people are becoming... and it’s not all fox etc.... people who at the end of the day Have more in common rather than less, whose views align far more often than not, and they’re tricked into working against each other to bring about their own demise.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

RealityCheck » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:16 am wrote:How much was by design compared to just dumb luck.... who knows ! Although I’d imagine more the former. Is lika magic trick!! All the little sheep focused on everything & everyone else, convinced of this/that... totally oblivious to the fact they are running through life half blind.

Sure workin like a charm though..... what r they cracking record disapproval #s in nearly every category along with rising dissatisfaction pretty much across the board.... yet every year we see not only more of the same, but amplified efforts to tighten their grip...

Hate to say it but never gonna end either.... they’re not capable.

The sad part is just how brainwashed people are becoming... and it’s not all fox etc.... people who at the end of the day Have more in common rather than less, whose views align far more often than not, and they’re tricked into working against each other to bring about their own demise.
Caveat??? Is there a caveat, is there a working principle here, whereby the others are thoes brainwashed people, whereas the author is not???

That is a statement of opinion of the happenstance, not a question you are formally asked to answer.

:|

You said: "... Have more in common rather than less, whose views align far more often than not, and they’re tricked into working against each other to bring about their own demise.".

Here's something which supports that:

The story of two camps where the same doggone thing happened in both
by Sam

IT IS AMAZING!!! Something like this has never happened in recent years before, the people of both parties are mobilized like never before, and it in the funding numbers for candidates shows and documents that observation as being a fact. A cold hard fact, never before have contributions from real people so swamped the contributions from PAC's.

Both parties are enjoying it. Here's the proof, this proof is a matter of record, it's also available for viewing at many places on the Internet.

I'm going to link to Open Secrets for the numbers: https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's the first box containing totals shown on the top.

The 26 Democrats running for President this cycle have raised $457,099,423; and the four Republicans running for President have raised a total of $167,284,982. A funding ratio of 2.73 for Democrats to 1 for Republicans.

For the democrats PAC contributions have amounted to a mere 0.16% of that total, real people are funding the candidates directly this time around.

Republicans are even more pure, their PAC contributions have only amounted to 0.03% of theirs, five times more pure.

However with a difference being 0.16% to 0.03% the margin of that purity is 99.84% to 99.97%. If we were measuring the purity of alcohol both batches of liquors could be used to fill a bottle of Everclear.

And that's it. This election, this time around, is going to be fueled with high performance pure alcohol fuel. Hot Jets! It's all very exciting.

Do you suppose this time around a significant number of those Americans who never vote, will become motivated to vote?

That last is real honest to Dog normal question for a change. :D

You are respectfully being asked to reply to give answer to that.

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

I believe that turnout will be up, but this belief is not so strong that I would put big money on it.

RealityCheck

Post by RealityCheck »

Bit more complicated than one might initially assume..... “a significant #” .... well that’s mostly a judgement call, what one may see as significant another may not, but I’m pretty solid when it comes to public perception in general.

So up by a truly significant number? No.... I don’t believe we’re quite there yet. However, I would expect turnout to be up fairly well compared to average. I think I touched on this a bit before, but independents imo mostly end up leaning left. Even though that is beginning to change a bit now.... For a # of reasons, far too many people also just do not vote, and do not involve themselves in politics much at all. An even greater % of these people would be voting left. Last election we were coming off of the 2nd Obama term... Obama dug us out of much of the hole/mess Bush created, stabilized us, and had us trending in a better direction.... so of course a decent % fell back asleep, didn’t turnout, and helped Trump get elected... one of many reasons. Reverse held true for Obama, as Bush jr created a royal mess..... which most people recognized, and as a result turned out in greater #s...

Slowly.... far too slowly closes the gap.... as people realize that no, it’s not just “one president” whose the problem..... just searched and saw that last election Millennials/gen x-z turned out >>> their elders as well, which is huge, and other great sign as far as turnout etc goes....

So turnout will be up “naturally” regardless.... and even more so now I believe. I’d put $$ on that for sure, especially if we are just talking up from last election.

One big concern would be how many people stay home.... I don’t see many staying home as far as those who are involved or do typically vote in most/all elections. Same with last election, as well as Obama’s first election.... too important, and ppl aren’t gonna just sit out.

It’s the ones who voted for Obama just because of the historical significance etc, or those who voted for Trump due to his celebrity, voting for atypical reasons put it that way, and in both cases I believe those #’s to be “significant enough.” Of course I would imagine more of those “new Obama” voters were prob retained, compared to the trump side...

Motor City
Board Emeritus

Post by Motor City »

rainwater » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 pm wrote: no i cant do that. its creepy enough seeing it replayed in bits which still show how they pretend,
how they act out the shit theyre saying.
its reality show fake news done by reality show characters acting out roles.
factual "news" means nothing to them. nada. zip.

big paychecks for acting roles of sitting on a couch grinning like fools, those paychecks are swell.
not as swell for the leggey women tho. many who btw dont seem to mind being paid less or theyd
speak the fuck up. but its faux, isnt it.
yea I agree about the replay bits really creepy. you know who they have become the privileged bully kids from the 80s movies