Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:30 pm 
Board Emeritus

LPTVs Push Back on NPR 'Franken FM' Comments

Low-power broadcasters are pushing back on NPR's effort to drive a stake into what the noncom service calls "Franken FMs," saying such a move would kill off important diverse public interest programming.

Some analog LPTVs operating on ch. 6 use their spectrum to program an ancillary audio service available on the FM dial (87.76 MHz) and want to continue to be able to deliver that analog signal after the mandatory transition to digital.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/ ... m-comments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

National Petroleum Radio's motives are highly suspect, no matter how much rhetoric their people come up with.

I don't get "Franken FM." Did he advocate something like this in the Senate? His only air program was in AM.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:16 pm 
Board Emeritus

National Petroleum Radio's motives are highly suspect, no matter how much rhetoric their people come up with.

I don't get "Franken FM." Did he advocate something like this in the Senate? His only air program was in AM.

It has noting to do with Al Franken, its Franken as in Frankenstein or Frankincense, it's about the old analog PTV6 stations who have not converted to digital. They are apparently mostly community access stations which are tying a lot of bandwidth without broadcasting all that much.

We have, or had, one here and last time I saw it they had message boards they would broadcast an image with elevator music of until someone came along and changed the message on the board. I doubt anyone tunes into it more than once to rule it out as being something worth tuning into.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:19 pm 
Board Emeritus

Oh, OK, so they're FM noncommercial band simulcasts of "community" LPTV audio, got it. Possibly not even a simulcast, since the sound frequency of old analog channel 6 is right below the FM radio band. My old tuner usually picked it up, and if I started hearing the picture carrier I knew it was time for realignment.

The bandwidth issue would be non-trivial, since they want to re-assign everything below the FM band on the old channels 2-6 to other services. (Former channel 1 btw was re-allocated to land-mobile radio before most people even had TVs.)

We never had LPTV in this market. Maybe way out on the desert. Analog channel 6 was for San Diego. The transmitter was in Mexico (XETV). It was the TV equivalent of a border blaster, viewable in LA a lot of the time when the temperature inversion ducting was right. All gone, and no loss, really.