What's up today?

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Re: Possible Vaccine for Coronavirus

Post by ProfessorX »

Doremus Jessup wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:20 pm
Well, UVB cause that's where Vitamin D comes from.
I still recommend you wear sunscreen when you go to the beach. Well, unless you're African-American. You might be, I shouldn't assume about people.

My skin is melanin deficient, I use it.

Anyway good and bad news ... UVB promotes Vitamin D, but doesn't kill COVID-19.
The ultraviolet treatment to harden composites in dental work.
I have quite a few dental fillings, so my dentist and I know all about it.

Two things I know: my body is not elsewhere made of dental composite, and he doesn't shove the UV light down my throat.

Has zero to do with the other health issues we're discussing.
If a physicist like Lene Hau can slow light its possible for creative scientific minds to find ways to make use of ultraviolet a bit less dangerous and more useful.
Her work is interesting, but has nothing to do with what we're discussing.

BTW, if you've got medical uses besides very focused hardening of dental composites, I'll wait. All other medical uses are outside the body. And fine, I'll grant you the highly limited and supervised use of phototherapy for skin diseases that can't otherwise be treated like eczema.

Still does not involve putting UV energy inside the body.
Last edited by ProfessorX on Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

ProfessorX wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:15 pm
I'd call it debate. If you haven't learned this is how I debate ... throwing a wee bit of smack is just to keep things fun. :mrgreen:

Said that. :D

Mentioned that. :D

Just noted that above. :mrgreen:

Let's review, childens, UVC can be used to disinfect surfaces or tools, but will fry your ass if YOU are exposed to it. I hope that was clear.

Look, it's nothing personal with either DJ or DJT ... but Duty To Warn. ;)
What i find hard to believe is how Dr.Trump made the leap from from disinfecting surfaces to people. Wait a minute.....Never mind.{smack forehead}

Damn, that's disappointing. i've been trying to talk the wife into some therapeutic nude sunbathing.

Have fun, smack away. :)
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

Don't shoot the messenger. Like i said, not totally out of bounds........

https://factcheck.thedispatch.com/p/did ... ideo-about
Aytu BioScience’s website states that the basis for its proposed prototype, named “Healight,” is a 2019 study titled “Internally Applied Ultraviolet Light as a Novel Approach for Effective and Safe Anti-Microbial Treatment,” published in the United European Gastroenterology Journal. The article isn’t accessible without an account (and our attempts to create an account resulted in error messages), but Aytu BioScience’s Healight web page summarizes the findings: “Here, the authors show that UVA light exhibits significant in vitro bactericidal effects in an array of clinically important bacteria. Additionally, this is the first study using intracolonic UVA application, which reports that UVA exposure is not associated with endoscopic or histologic injury.”

Aytu BioScience’s proposal for a UV light treatment has not yet been fully tested. The company’s website warns that “[Healight] has not been reviewed by the FDA” and it warns specifically that it is not approved for use in the fight against coronavirus. “This device, or concept of this device is currently not indicated for use in the treatment of COVID-19.” The video that was removed from YouTube can still be found on AYTU BioScience’s website, and it bears a similar disclaimer: “Proposed prototype device depicted. This has not been reviewed by the FDA. Currently not indicated for treatment of COVID-19.” Aytu BioScience CEO Josh Disbrow wrote an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal about the politicization of his company’s research, in which he expressed hope that the new technology could eventually be used on coronavirus but conceded, “There is still much work to do on Healight—much to study, and much to verify.”
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Won't shoot the messenger. Will quote from the article.

[from the above article]
Some experts are skeptical that even after the work is done Healight will amount to much. There’s an important distinction to be made between forms of ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet light exists on a spectrum split up by wavelength; ultraviolet A (UVA) light has the longest wavelengths, followed by ultraviolet B (UVB) light, while ultraviolet C (UVA) light has the shortest. Aytu BioScience’s Healight uses UVA light. Another form of ultraviolet light that’s being explored to combat coronavirus, though to kill the virus in the air not in humans, is a specific, very short form of UVC light called far-UVC light.

Dr. David Brenner, director of Columbia University’s Center for Radiological Research, has been exploring ultraviolet technology to combat coronavirus, and he has seen promise using far-UVC light. He doubts UVA light would work and thinks it may even be dangerous to internal tissue.

“It’s an interesting idea, though I have doubts that it would work,” Brenner told the Dispatch Fact Check. “The airways and lung are pretty complex geometrical structures, so any small amount of material between the virus and the UV light source would protect the virus.”

“In addition, UVA is not particularly effective at killing viruses—far less effective than UVC,” Brenner said. He mentioned one 2006 paper from the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research that showed while UVC light efficiently kills SAR-CoV-1 (the virus that caused the 2003 outbreak of SARS), UVA light does not.

“Finally, I have some concerns about safety of the lining of lung exposed directly to the UVA light, without any protective layer of dead cells, which is typically the case with external exposure to sunlight,” Brenner said.

[snip][end]

They are touting it for potentially cleansing bacteria from your colon. It might work for that. Hasn't been FDA-approved, but this problem seems to precede Drumpf's infamous attempt at hack medicine.

They themselves say they doubt it could work to treat COVID-19, and are not recommending their device for that.

I tend to think the skeptics are correct, UV-A (what this device gives off) inside your lung won't do much, and could be harmful. BTW, I haven't even dealt with the minor matter that inside the body, there is no quick and easy route from your colon to your lungs. :D Well, maybe inside Trump. :mrgreen:

UV-C inside your lung might kill the virus, there's just the problem that fairly quickly it will also kill you.
Malaclypse the Younger

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:40 pm
What i find hard to believe is how Dr.Trump made the leap from from disinfecting surfaces to people. Wait a minute.....Never mind.{smack forehead}

Damn, that's disappointing. i've been trying to talk the wife into some therapeutic nude sunbathing.

Have fun, smack away. :)
I worked for a Captain who referred, jokingly, to himself as a "slopehead" because he was always hitting his forehead with his palm saying "Damn, I knew that!" :rw)
When you vote Left you vote right.

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pm
Don't shoot the messenger. Like i said, not totally out of bounds........

https://factcheck.thedispatch.com/p/did ... ideo-about
Aytu BioScience’s website states that the basis for its proposed prototype, named “Healight,” is a 2019 study titled “Internally Applied Ultraviolet Light as a Novel Approach for Effective and Safe Anti-Microbial Treatment,” published in the United European Gastroenterology Journal. The article isn’t accessible without an account (and our attempts to create an account resulted in error messages), but Aytu BioScience’s Healight web page summarizes the findings: “Here, the authors show that UVA light exhibits significant in vitro bactericidal effects in an array of clinically important bacteria. Additionally, this is the first study using intracolonic UVA application, which reports that UVA exposure is not associated with endoscopic or histologic injury.”

Aytu BioScience’s proposal for a UV light treatment has not yet been fully tested. The company’s website warns that “[Healight] has not been reviewed by the FDA” and it warns specifically that it is not approved for use in the fight against coronavirus. “This device, or concept of this device is currently not indicated for use in the treatment of COVID-19.” The video that was removed from YouTube can still be found on AYTU BioScience’s website, and it bears a similar disclaimer: “Proposed prototype device depicted. This has not been reviewed by the FDA. Currently not indicated for treatment of COVID-19.” Aytu BioScience CEO Josh Disbrow wrote an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal about the politicization of his company’s research, in which he expressed hope that the new technology could eventually be used on coronavirus but conceded, “There is still much work to do on Healight—much to study, and much to verify.”
Important word in the link is "concept." It's just that, a concept.

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

ProfessorX wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:06 pm
Won't shoot the messenger. Will quote from the article.

[from the above article]
Some experts are skeptical that even after the work is done Healight will amount to much. There’s an important distinction to be made between forms of ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet light exists on a spectrum split up by wavelength; ultraviolet A (UVA) light has the longest wavelengths, followed by ultraviolet B (UVB) light, while ultraviolet C (UVA) light has the shortest. Aytu BioScience’s Healight uses UVA light. Another form of ultraviolet light that’s being explored to combat coronavirus, though to kill the virus in the air not in humans, is a specific, very short form of UVC light called far-UVC light.

Dr. David Brenner, director of Columbia University’s Center for Radiological Research, has been exploring ultraviolet technology to combat coronavirus, and he has seen promise using far-UVC light. He doubts UVA light would work and thinks it may even be dangerous to internal tissue.

“It’s an interesting idea, though I have doubts that it would work,” Brenner told the Dispatch Fact Check. “The airways and lung are pretty complex geometrical structures, so any small amount of material between the virus and the UV light source would protect the virus.”

“In addition, UVA is not particularly effective at killing viruses—far less effective than UVC,” Brenner said. He mentioned one 2006 paper from the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research that showed while UVC light efficiently kills SAR-CoV-1 (the virus that caused the 2003 outbreak of SARS), UVA light does not.

“Finally, I have some concerns about safety of the lining of lung exposed directly to the UVA light, without any protective layer of dead cells, which is typically the case with external exposure to sunlight,” Brenner said.

[snip][end]

They are touting it for potentially cleansing bacteria from your colon. It might work for that. Hasn't been FDA-approved, but this problem seems to precede Drumpf's infamous attempt at hack medicine.

They themselves say they doubt it could work to treat COVID-19, and are not recommending their device for that.

I tend to think the skeptics are correct, UV-A (what this device gives off) inside your lung won't do much, and could be harmful. BTW, I haven't even dealt with the minor matter that inside the body, there is no quick and easy route from your colon to your lungs. :D Well, maybe inside Trump. :mrgreen:

UV-C inside your lung might kill the virus, there's just the problem that fairly quickly it will also kill you.
You're just not thinking outside the box Prof. Somewhere in the near future you'll be able to lay down on a bed and have 'Bones McCoy' do that light scan thing to figure out what ails you. Not only that, the light will cure all your ailments on the way back up.

Here's what Bloomberg had to say...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... pportunity
“This treatment sounds like snake oil to me,” Halsall said. “To insert light inside the body, orally or through the skin, is likely to cause serious damage to blood cells, muscle tissue, organ tissue and DNA.”

i do find this interesting...

The company licensed the Healight technology from Cedars-Sinai, a nonprofit academic health-care organization in Los Angeles.

Cedars-Sinai is nothing to sneeze at.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

bradman wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:42 pm
You're just not thinking outside the box Prof. Somewhere in the near future you'll be able to lay down on a bed and have 'Bones McCoy' do that light scan thing to figure out what ails you. Not only that, the light will cure all your ailments on the way back up.

Weird Science.

:rw)
Malaclypse the Younger

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

Number6 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:32 pm
I worked for a Captain who referred, jokingly, to himself as a "slopehead" because he was always hitting his forehead with his palm saying "Damn, I knew that!" :rw)
Doh! That explains my receding hair line.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Ehhh, where to drop this? I'll put it in this thread.

So, good news. Yes, there does appear to be herd immunity to the COVID-19 virus. It doesn't appear you can be reinfected. This is usually the case with a coronavirus, but we needed to be sure. Obviously, usual caveat, "so this initial study suggests". Also, the other question mark - what happens if you encounter a mutant strain?

... antibody tests ... I think we're not positive everybody showing antibodies because of a slight exposure has total immunity, though ... still some uncertainties there.

... but, this idea that "we sacrifice people until everybody develops herd immunity" ... still callous and stupid.

Coronavirus: Scientists conclude people cannot be infected twice
A total of 277 patients in the country were believed to have fallen ill for a second time, as had patients in China and Japan.
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavi ... e-11981721

A number of reported cases of coronavirus patients relapsing after overcoming the disease were actually due to testing failures, South Korean scientists say.

Researchers at the South Korean centre for disease control and prevention (CDC) now say it is impossible for the COVID-19 virus to reactivate in human bodies.
Malaclypse the Younger

lucytalk

Post by lucytalk »

ProfessorX wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:30 pm
I still recommend you wear sunscreen when you go to the beach. Well, unless you're African-American. You might be, I shouldn't assume about people.
yeah blacks should also use sunscreen. it is said their dark skin is equivalent to about spf 13 and they can get skin cancer as well.
imagination is intelligence having fun

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ProfessorX wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 am

So, good news. Yes, there does appear to be herd immunity to the COVID-19 virus. It doesn't appear you can be reinfected. This is usually the case with a coronavirus, but we needed to be sure. Obviously, usual caveat, "so this initial study suggests". Also, the other question mark - what happens if you encounter a mutant strain?

... antibody tests ... I think we're not positive everybody showing antibodies because of a slight exposure has total immunity, though ... still some uncertainties there.

... but, this idea that "we sacrifice people until everybody develops herd immunity" ... still callous and stupid.

A total of 277 patients in the country were believed to have fallen ill for a second time, as had patients in China and Japan.

A number of reported cases of coronavirus patients relapsing after overcoming the disease were actually due to testing failures, South Korean scientists say.

Researchers at the South Korean centre for disease control and prevention (CDC) now say it is impossible for the COVID-19 virus to reactivate in human bodies.
Thank goodness the real leaders of the world, SK and others, but not the USA, are doing good work.
Excuse me while I use a BROAD BRUSH to say anyone who spends one minute defending anything rump is just as guilty as he is of all his crimes

Number6
Board Emeritus

Post by Number6 »

ProfessorX wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 pm

:rw)
Quotes from Doctor McCoy:
"What am I, a doctor or a moon shuttle conductor?"
"I'm a surgeon, not a psychiatrist."
"I'm not a scientist or a physicist, Mr. Spock…"
"Look, I'm a doctor, not an escalator."
"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic."
"I'm a doctor, not an engineer."

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

ProfessorX wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:31 am

That low incidence paradox bit them. I'm glad they figured it out. I've not been worried about this reinfection question for that reason, I knew they would find the appearance of reinfection only to find out it was a false positive result which caused it.

It's too bad they didn't have the same sophomore year statistics text book I had, and hated.

:|

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

Keeps up like this and we'll all be taking vitamin B17 to cure any cancer woes.........

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/0 ... vir-229765
Coronavirus gets a promising drug. MAGA world isn’t buying it.

Indeed, the same segment of the right that claimed scientists and the media were deliberately downplaying hydroxychloroquine in order to hurt Trump’s standing are now the ones downplaying remdesivir. On Fox News, Laura Ingraham suggested that remdesivir, as a newer drug being produced by the pharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences, could be unsafe and expensive. Those who initially helped raise the profile of hydroxychloroquine raised doubts about the remdesivir studies.

The unexpected reaction appears to stem from the differences in how the two drugs came into the public spotlight. Hydroxychloroquine bubbled up through the MAGA grassroots — little-known investors promoted it online, got on Fox News and suddenly the president was talking about it from the White House. Remdesivir’s progress came through a government-funded trial that had the blessing of Dr. Anthony Fauci, the bête noire of Trump hardliners who blame the government’s top infectious disease expert for undermining the president and causing unnecessary economic damage with his social-distancing guidelines.

+++.....Get this......

“Fauci loves insanely expensive drugs and hates cheap plentiful ones or any hint of preventative supplementation. You see how quickly he praised #remdesivir and has only scorn for #hydroxychroloquine?” tweeted commentator Bill Mitchell, who Trump has been retweeting this week.

Mitchell was initially one of the loudest voices on the right dismissing the coronavirus threat and has attacked Fauci in the past. His reasoning? Fauci is “a big pharma puppet.”

+++
Interesting angle......
The best analogy, he said, could be found in the origins of the anti-vaccine movement, which continues to cite a widely-discredited medical study from the late 1990s. That study was so flawed that the journal that published it later retracted it — but it had lasting influence.

“Anti-vaxxers read something about autism being caused by vaccinations, and they won't let that go even though there've been refutations of the original claims,” he said. “That information has been floating out there and either it's become part of their argument, or it's become part of their identity, part of who they are, part of how they make claims.”

“Maybe,” he added, “hydroxy has a similar kind of effect on these particular audiences.”

Ya, i was a bit disappointed in recent remdesivir results. It shortens hospital stays which is a good thing in freeing up staff and beds. The mortality rate didn't change much though. I trust the professionals will soon improve the cocktail and protocol for better results there.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Remdesivir has positive results. Not terribly exciting ones. But positive, beyond placebo. No major known deleterious side effects - except rare liver damage, that I know of.

We need to find better stuff. BTW, antisocial media is already claiming the patent for remdesivir is owned by China and this YANO Chinese plot somehow - all BS.

Apparently when they put remdesivir into your system, Bill Gates inserts a 666-marked microchip into you, or something. :roll:
Malaclypse the Younger

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... n-original

Like I said, this is just the beginning

Wherever the new strain appeared, it quickly infected far more people than the earlier strains that came out of Wuhan, China, and within weeks it was the only strain that was prevalent in some nations, according to the report. The new strain’s dominance over its predecessors demonstrates that it is more infectious, according to the report, though exactly why is not yet known.
If only every single person NOT voting for Joe Biden would stop trying to kill us. Because every person not voting for Joe is helping the GOP kill us, this includes you twenty somethings who think voting is not cool.
Excuse me while I use a BROAD BRUSH to say anyone who spends one minute defending anything rump is just as guilty as he is of all his crimes

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

> though exactly why is not yet known

Sounds familiar, in a situation where the gospel truth changes weekly, and never towards enlightenment. (Sorry Hegel.)

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

ProfessorX wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:13 am
Remdesivir has positive results. Not terribly exciting ones. But positive, beyond placebo. No major known deleterious side effects - except rare liver damage, that I know of.

We need to find better stuff. BTW, antisocial media is already claiming the patent for remdesivir is owned by China and this YANO Chinese plot somehow - all BS.

Apparently when they put remdesivir into your system, Bill Gates inserts a 666-marked microchip into you, or something. :roll:
Damn. Am i falling that far back in keeping up with the antisocial media? When did Gates become the target? {shrug} Soros must be relieved.

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Can stem cells treat COVID-19?
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-04- ... ovid-.html

Niels-Bjarne Woods, a researcher at Lund University in Sweden, has developed lung-specific mesenchymal stem cells to treat inflammation of the lungs and fibrosis. This research now may be the needed breakthrough for treatment of the severe respiratory issues related to COVID-19. If the application to the Swedish Medical Products Agency goes through, a clinical study may soon be underway.

"This is not a COVID-19 vaccine, but a treatment for those who have already fallen ill. If we get the opportunity to quickly do clinical trials, we can have a treatment ready for patients long before there is a vaccine," says Niels-Bjarne Woods.

He is head of a research group at the Department of Laboratory Medicine and has also been part of and founded the research company Amniotics AB, which has supported the preclinical studies. The results are very promising.

"So far our studies show that the lung-specific stem cells significantly reduce inflammation, and significantly reduced lung tissue damage. It is because of these pre-clinical results that we believe a treatment using these cells has the potential to both save lives and reduce the severity of the lung damage in those patients critically ill with COVID-19," says Niels-Bjarne Woods.

[snip][end]
Malaclypse the Younger

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

i'll be damned.....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cuba-credits ... 34758.html
HAVANA (Reuters) - Communist-run Cuba said this week that use of two drugs produced by its biotech industry that reduce hyper-inflammation in seriously ill COVID-19 patients has sharply curbed its coronavirus-related death toll.

Health authorities have reported just two virus-related deaths over the past nine days among more than 200 active cases on the Caribbean's largest island, a sign they may have the worst of the outbreak under control.

The government, which hopes to increase its biopharmaceutical exports, has touted various drugs it produces for helping prevent infection with the new coronavirus and treating the COVID-19 disease it causes.

It ascribes the recent reduction in deaths of severely ill COVID-19 patients largely to the use beginning in April of two drugs that appear to help calm the "cytokine storm," a dangerous overresponse by the immune system in which it attacks healthy tissue as well as the invading virus.

One is itolizumab, a monoclonal antibody produced in Cuba and elsewhere. The other is a peptide that Cuba says its biotech industry discovered and has been testing for rheumatoid arthritis in Phase II clinical trials.

From the beginning i've wondered about the cytokine storm. First thing that came to mind was a drug given me some years back for a over active immune problem...(IgG4-related disease).....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rituximab
Rituximab
Other autoimmune diseases that have been treated with rituximab include autoimmune hemolytic anemia, pure red cell aplasia, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP),[23] idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP),[24][25] Evans syndrome,[26] vasculitis (e.g., granulomatosis with polyangiitis), bullous skin disorders (for example pemphigus, pemphigoid—with very encouraging results of approximately 85% rapid recovery in pemphigus, according to a 2006 study),[27] type 1 diabetes mellitus, Sjögren syndrome, anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis and Devic's disease,[28] Graves' ophthalmopathy,[29] autoimmune pancreatitis,[30] Opsoclonus myoclonus syndrome (OMS),[31] and IgG4-related disease.[32] There is some evidence that it is ineffective in treating IgA-mediated autoimmune diseases.[33]

Both suppress the immune system. Since the cytokine storm seems to be a final nail in the coffin the possibility of being able to control it gives me hope.

ZoWie
Board Emeritus

Post by ZoWie »

Cytokine storm was what caused a good portion of the deaths in 1918. It affected mostly younger people in that go-round. They have more active immune systems, after all.

It's one more reason why I've been suspicious of this popular notion spread by uninformed politicians that only old people are at risk. That's simply not true. It may reflect the ageism inherent to this culture, as when people say it's OK to sacrifice Granny to get the economy going again.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

GOP is going to make sure people must choose virus or food...so the sooner we get help the better.

GOP sees it as a two fer, they can kill minorities and liberals, sure some of their own too, but they cant pass up the chance to kill Black people.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

Libertas wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:13 pm
GOP is going to make sure people must choose virus or food...so the sooner we get help the better.

GOP sees it as a two fer, they can kill minorities and liberals, sure some of their own too, but they cant pass up the chance to kill Black people.
Libertas, your statement is ridiculous.

:|

ap215
Board Emeritus

Post by ap215 »

Remdesivir alone not enough to treat COVID-19, study says

A preliminary study of the antiviral drug remdesivir found that the use of it alone does not cure patients who are experiencing severe symptoms of COVID-19.

Data posted in the New England Journal of Medicine Saturday showed it shortened the amount of days patients experienced severe symptoms, but did not have a great enough impact on the mortality rate of the patients studied.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/49932 ... study-says