Florida's COVID Dashboard Creator Fired - for Refusing to Lie

What's up today?

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Florida's COVID Dashboard Creator Fired - for Refusing to Lie

Post by ProfessorX »

Hey look Ma, here's a real conspiracy, not involving Bill Gates.

Creator Of FL COVID Dashboard Says She Was Removed For Refusing To ‘Manually Change Data’
By Matt Shuham
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/crea ... hange-data

The creator and manager of Florida’s COVID-19 dashboard says she was removed from that role after refusing to change data.

Rebekah Jones, the Florida Department of Health’s GIS (Geographic Information System) manager, was the brains behind the state’s lauded COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard.

She told colleagues in a May 5 email first reported by Florida Today Monday night that her team was being taken off of the dashboard due to “reasons beyond my division’s control,” and that she no longer controlled changes made to the tool, including any potential “data they are now restricting.”

“As a word of caution, I would not expect the new team to continue the same level of accessibility and transparency that I made central to the process during the first two months,” the data scientist added. “After all, my commitment to both is largely (arguably entirely) the reason I am no longer managing it.”

Jones was involuntarily removed, she subsequently told CBS12 in an email, because she refused to “manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen.”

One researcher, Professor Ben D. Sawyer of the University of Central Florida, told Florida Today that he and a colleague had been denied access to underlying data they requested from the state. Other public health experts confirmed to the paper that data access had decreased.

The state’s department of health did not respond to TPM’s request for comment on the situation Tuesday morning.

But Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), a strong ally of President Donald Trump, has sought to “reopen” certain parts of Florida’s economy that were ordered shut due to COVID-19. This week restaurants, retail stores, gyms, libraries and museums were allowed to operate at half capacity.

[snip][end]

Gov. DeStupid and Trump think they can make reality go away by fudging data and numbers and firing people telling the truth.

I used the full piece here, again, so full credit to original author.
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Re: Florida's COVID Dashboard Creator Fired - for Refusing to Lie

Post by Sam Lefthand »

Could be worse X, you could live in Belarus. Their data looks like someone made it up, and then got it officially approved.

Their strong smelly man said COVID is no worse than a common flu. They've done absolutely nothing to protect anyone, they only thing their government has done is fake their data in such a way as to make it appear that its no worse than the common yearly flu.

Why they're lying about their data almost as bad as India, Pakistan, Russia, China, Iran, and Brazil.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

ProfessorX wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:19 am
Hey look Ma, here's a real conspiracy, not involving Bill Gates.

Creator Of FL COVID Dashboard Says She Was Removed For Refusing To ‘Manually Change Data’
By Matt Shuham
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/crea ... hange-data

The creator and manager of Florida’s COVID-19 dashboard says she was removed from that role after refusing to change data.

Rebekah Jones, the Florida Department of Health’s GIS (Geographic Information System) manager, was the brains behind the state’s lauded COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard.

She told colleagues in a May 5 email first reported by Florida Today Monday night that her team was being taken off of the dashboard due to “reasons beyond my division’s control,” and that she no longer controlled changes made to the tool, including any potential “data they are now restricting.”

“As a word of caution, I would not expect the new team to continue the same level of accessibility and transparency that I made central to the process during the first two months,” the data scientist added. “After all, my commitment to both is largely (arguably entirely) the reason I am no longer managing it.”

Jones was involuntarily removed, she subsequently told CBS12 in an email, because she refused to “manually change data to drum up support for the plan to reopen.”

One researcher, Professor Ben D. Sawyer of the University of Central Florida, told Florida Today that he and a colleague had been denied access to underlying data they requested from the state. Other public health experts confirmed to the paper that data access had decreased.

The state’s department of health did not respond to TPM’s request for comment on the situation Tuesday morning.

But Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), a strong ally of President Donald Trump, has sought to “reopen” certain parts of Florida’s economy that were ordered shut due to COVID-19. This week restaurants, retail stores, gyms, libraries and museums were allowed to operate at half capacity.

[snip][end]

Gov. DeStupid and Trump think they can make reality go away by fudging data and numbers and firing people telling the truth.

I used the full piece here, again, so full credit to original author.

GOP and anyone who defends them, ever, is trying to kill you, and they are trying to kill me too. They are trying to kill their own voters because they believe as there are more of us than them it will work in their favor.
Excuse me while I use a BROAD BRUSH to say anyone who spends one minute defending anything rump is just as guilty as he is of all his crimes

Motor City
Policy Wonk

Post by Motor City »

so they can get going on the election year eviction gerrymandering. resuming the economy means resuming evictions.

[paste]https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1 ... 4009026561[/paste]
Evictions start again in Florida on June 2nd.
Most rent assistance programs can't meet the need that exists.
For example: City of Miami has 2 million in rent relief funding. 5,867 applicants were deemed preliminarily eligible, but there is only enough money for 1,300 families.