Fires and Violence In Minneapolis In The Aftermath of George Floyd Murder.

What's up today?

Moderators: plunderer, Bernie the union guy

Motor City
Board Emeritus

Re: Fires and Violence In Minneapolis In The Aftermath of George Floyd Murder.

Post by Motor City »

trump is angry about paint on a statue and vowing revenge.

https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status ... 8861488129

Tamir would have been 18 today and Aiyana Stanley Jones would have been graduating from high school this month.
Rather than prepare for the worst we need to prepare for preserving life.

Motor City
Board Emeritus

Post by Motor City »

Trevor looks at how depictions of police in film and TV can skew public perception of cops and glorify officers who break laws and use violence unnecessarily on the job.
if they could only take the gloves off theme is most persistant.

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

Motor City wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:22 am
trump is angry about paint on a statue and vowing revenge.

https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/status ... 8861488129

Rather than prepare for the worst we need to prepare for preserving life.
Inanimate objects are emotionally significant. Actual people deserve a life of contempt, then death. Unofficial conservative motto.

Stop calling the cops on us.

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

Motor City wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:26 am

if they could only take the gloves off theme is most persistant.
I haven't gotten a chance to watch this yet, but I definitely agree about cop reality shows. Haven't watched those in years and years and years, but honestly it started even before the reality shows. The US has been inundated with propaganda since at least Dragnet with show after show after show unquestioningly glorifying this profession.

I mean, Ponch and Jon really were sexy, what can I say. lol

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

Reality TV is a horrible genre in totality, but reality cop shows are the worst. Probably in my life I saw a couple episodes of COPS, usually because I was in a hotel and back in the day, yes, sometimes there were only 5 or 6 channels to watch, and that was the only thing on (well other than some show about fixing up houses). I always said to myself. How many episodes of police battering down doors, slamming poor people and minorities against walls, and screaming and yelling and throwing them on the ground, can you watch? It's the same shit over and over again. People enjoy watching this? I guess I don't. Never did. Can't say I will miss the show.

BTW, sad but true fact, when my Dad was in the worst of his cognitive decline, my stepmom would put on CHIPS and he would sit there and watch it for hours. That was when I knew his decline was most severe. :cry: I mean, seriously, as cop shows go ... they tried to make it thrilling, but come on, how much drama is there in pulling over motorists on your motorbike for speeding and broken tail-lights? :mrgreen: I can only say I'm really sad for what Erik Estrada's post-CHIPS career has been. :D
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

‘You White People Don’t Get It’: Mississippi’s Long, Ugly Road To Changing Its State Flag - Mississippi Free Press
In 2001, several other southern states, including Alabama and Georgia, were also discussing the possibility of shedding Confederate imagery from their flags, too. Some Mississippi pundits theorized that maybe people felt less urgency to change Mississippi’s flag in 2001 because the state adopted it in 1894 out of a genuine desire to honor Confederate veterans, many of whom were still alive.

The historical record, though, suggests otherwise.

Mississippi radically remade its Constitution in 1890 with the goal of disenfranchising black voters, implementing a system of Jim Crow laws that included literacy tests and poll taxes, seeking to kill off reforms the North had insisted on in the post-Civil War Reconstruction era.

In a convention hall where state officials plotted out the new constitution that September, one state lawmaker, J.H. McGehee from Franklin County, ” gave a rousing speech to his fellow lawmakers’ delight.

“I will agree that this is a government by the people and for the people, but what people? When this declaration was made by our forefathers, it was for the Anglo-Saxon people. That is what we are here for today—to secure the supremacy of the white race,” he said.
:roll:

JoeMemphis
Board Emeritus

Post by JoeMemphis »

carmenjonze wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 pm
Well thanks for the good luck wish, but let's recall that unlike you, I've never been a beneficiary of the kinds of Jim Crow/segregation public policies that these policing practices we see across the nation today, produced.

And so also unlike you, getting the cops called on us randomly by karen and ken guns-and-ammo-worshipping conservatives are things Black and Latino people have to think about before leaving our abodes, based solely on looks.

It's not unique to us. Our parents did, our grandparents did, our great grandparents did, our great-great grandparents did. And then you get into the slavery era.

Karen and ken are just doing what their own parents, grandparents, great grandparents and great-great grandparents did. That is, if their relatives have even been in this country this long.

So perhaps after two full generations of protesting nationwide modern police brutality, it's starting to catch on with some of you, though evidently not others: getting the cops randonly called on you can land you in the morgue.

(It's why karens and kens do it.)

Your attitudes are an excellent display of why these calls for a complete overhaul of the police are happening in your city, in my city, nationwide, and across the world.

Those atittudes have a very, very consistent continuity. Not just in your city but in mine as well. Those attitudes are the reason this country is at the point it is, after a generation of so-called reform.
Well since you have no solutions to offer and I have heard your white con Jim Crow lecture many many times and since that is all you seem to want to talk about there really isn’t anything for us to discuss. I understand you think I have attitude problems. I think you have attitude problems as well. So I don’t want to burden you any further trying to discuss potential solutions. You aren’t interested in that discussion.
Last edited by JoeMemphis on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeMemphis
Board Emeritus

Post by JoeMemphis »

JoeMemphis wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 am

ProfessorX
Board Emeritus

Post by ProfessorX »

JoeMemphis wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 am
So I don’t want to burden you any further trying to discuss potential solutions. You aren’t interested in that discussion.
Actually, Joe, you rejected some of the ones she's offered. That doesn't mean she doesn't have any. You just don't like them.
-- Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
Malaclypse the Younger

bradman
Policy Wonk

Post by bradman »

carmenjonze wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 pm
You guys are acting like this has not already been thought through.

Reminder: the issue here is on police killings, abuse, murder, and brutality against overwhelimginly Black and Latino people.

It so often appears like some of you would rather address ANY topic than that one.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/opinions ... index.html
"I just feel like some of the system could, you know, look at us as individuals. We do have lives, you know, just a mistake we made, and you know, not just do us as if we are animals."

Those are the words of Rayshard Brooks during a heartbreaking interview filmed in February of this year -- just a few months before he was tragically shot by police. Brooks talks about the agony of being trapped in a prison reentry and probation system that won't let him get back on his feet.
His killing at the hands of Atlanta police certainly highlights the need for police reform. But it demonstrates something else that is equally urgent, though rarely discussed: America's desperate need to overhaul our probation system.
There is a sad irony in America's justice system: our police have too much power and too little oversight. And people returning home from prison have too little opportunity and too MUCH oversight. In that Wendy's parking lot, those twin failures were on a collision course -- and Brooks paid the ultimate price.

For a person on probation, as Brooks was, any contact with a police officer -- for any reason -- means an almost certain return to the horrors of a jail cell. It is safe to assume that Brooks did not want to go back to jail over sleeping in his car or failing a sobriety test, lose everything he had and be forced to start his life over again.
In other words, we do not know why the Atlanta police officer chose to shoot a man who was running away from him. But we can guess why that man chose to run, in the first place. Brooks didn't want to lose his liberty. Instead, he wound up losing his life.
Along with the police departments, criminal justice system reforms are also needed. They go hand in hand.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

ap215
Board Emeritus

Post by ap215 »

AP-NORC poll: White Democrats grow more critical of police

DETROIT (AP) — As a national reckoning over racism and policing grips the nation, white Democrats are far more likely now than they were a few years ago to think police brutality is a serious issue — a dramatic shift in public opinion that some say could shape the November presidential election.

A majority of white Democrats today say police officers are more likely to use deadly force against a Black person than against a white person, according to a recent poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, not unlike five years ago.

https://apnews.com/016ee8f275d615bd3e4f72bb771326a8

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

If cons cared about NYC, this would drive them nuts...it will make traitor unhappy too.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status ... 2143527947
NYC Mayor de Blasio confirms 'Black Lives Matter' will be painted on 5th Ave. in "a matter of days."

He tells
@MSNBC
that whenever Trump comes to New York, "he'll get a message that he still doesn't understand. Maybe seeing it outside his doorstep will help him get the point."
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

This is incredible

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cop-i ... 200701_6_2

Cop Involved in George Floyd Case to Plead Not Guilty, Claim Self-Defense
If you are a FLYNN defender you are a TRAITOR and dont talk to me, I am a patriot...

JoeMemphis
Board Emeritus

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfessorX wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:48 am
Actually, Joe, you rejected some of the ones she's offered. That doesn't mean she doesn't have any. You just don't like them.
Actually what I get from Carmen most of the time is the same white con Jim Crow lecture to virtually everything I post. So quite frankly I don’t read them all that closely anymore. I mean I could probably post about the weather and get her standard lecture in reply. She isn’t really interested in discussion. She just wants to lecture people on what she imagines they think or believe.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

And now you see why racism is STILL such a big problem.

marindem01
Policy Wonk
Location: 3.5 Miles From The North Tower of The Golden Gate Bridge

Post by marindem01 »

The San Francisco Police Department Ends Common Practice of Releasing Suspect Booking Mugshots.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/ ... -mugshots/.
"The Clouded Mind See's Nothing", The Shadow.

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:50 am
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/opinions ... index.html

Along with the police departments, criminal justice system reforms are also needed. They go hand in hand.
Yes the whole damn system is guilty.

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 pm
Actually what I get from Carmen most of the time is the same white con Jim Crow lecture to virtually everything I post.
'Cept, you know this is already a lie you tell yourself. Over the past couple days we've talked about a lot of things including institutions, structures, public policy and law.

There is a reason that reminding you about the segregation environment you were born into is a sore spot, especially while conversing with a Black person on the internet about current day police brutality.

There's a reason why reminding conservative whites your age that Black and Latino people, and white people born into militant, anti-Black segregationism, do not have the same or an equal or an equitable stake in discussions of policing in this country, and we never have. Thanks to white conservatism.

This doesn't happen on some simplistic, reductive individual/personal level. It begins on the institutional and structural level.

"Jim Crow" and segregation is public policy and law. It's one of many things I've brought up in this current conversation, but it's the one mention that stands out to you.

It's plain as day why that is. You should recalibrate your lectures about institutions and people. People. Not machines :lol:. Conservatives never want to discuss institutions, structures, public policy and law, since it could lead changes to the institutions, structures, public policy and law you guys have always been dependent on for your delusions of meritocracy.
JoeMemphis wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 pm
I mean I could probably post about the weather and get her standard lecture in reply.
Well no, you make it clear what you believe in your posts. Claiming you get a Jim Crow lecture from me "most of the time" "to virtually everything you post" is part of the conservative lies a lot of you guys tell yourselves, and it not borne out by the actual thread history.

It only attests to the specific white-southern victimhood you've been conditioned to wallow in.
She isn’t really interested in discussion.
But we've been in a discussion. I'm just not interested in seeking white-conservative buy-in, coddling your feelings about having been born a white male into a segregated, misogynist and sexist society; or trying to compel you to agree with me about anything on this topic of police brutality against Black people and Latinos.

Please learn the difference.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfessorX wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:48 am
A lot of guys like Joe apparently still think we need their approval or buy-in to move forward. It's a holdover from their 20th century incredulous reactions to Civil Rights movements.

JoeMemphis
Board Emeritus

Post by JoeMemphis »

carmenjonze wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:52 pm
'Cept, you know this is already a lie you tell yourself. Over the past couple days we've talked about a lot of things including institutions, structures, public policy and law.

There is a reason that reminding you about the segregation environment you were born into is a sore spot, especially while conversing with a Black person on the internet about current day police brutality.

There's a reason why reminding conservative whites your age that Black and Latino people, and white people born into militant, anti-Black segregationism, do not have the same or an equal or an equitable stake in discussions of policing in this country, and we never have. Thanks to white conservatism.

This doesn't happen on some simplistic, reductive individual/personal level. It begins on the institutional and structural level.

"Jim Crow" and segregation is public policy and law. It's one of many things I've brought up in this current conversation, but it's the one mention that stands out to you.

It's plain as day why that is. You should recalibrate your lectures about institutions and people. People. Not machines :lol:. Conservatives never want to discuss institutions, structures, public policy and law, since it could lead changes to the institutions, structures, public policy and law you guys have always been dependent on for your delusions of meritocracy.

Well no, you make it clear what you believe in your posts. Claiming you get a Jim Crow lecture from me "most of the time" "to virtually everything you post" is part of the conservative lies a lot of you guys tell yourselves, and it not borne out by the actual thread history.

It only attests to the specific white-southern victimhood you've been conditioned to wallow in.

But we've been in a discussion. I'm just not interested in seeking white-conservative buy-in, coddling your feelings about having been born a white male into a segregated, misogynist and sexist society; or trying to compel you to agree with me about anything on this topic of police brutality against Black people and Latinos.

Please learn the difference.
Speaking of lies. I don’t think I ever said I opposed institutional changes. I have no idea exactly what changes you propose. Some I may agree with and others I might not. I don’t favor undermining government institutions. I don’t think it’s necessary in order to reform them. Further most everything I have been talking about involves a change in public policy. So the statement that changing institutions and public policy somehow frightens me is factually incorrect.

As far as buyin. Democracy is built on buy in. If you want to change institutions, public policy, structures, law; all that requires people to buy in. But as you state, you don’t think you need it. And then you will wonder why you don’t get it and probably blame that on others as well. I get that people who suffer because of inequality or inequity don’t appreciate being ignored or lectured to or told how they should or should not think because of the color of their skin or who they choose to love. Nobody likes that.

I am open to change. What I am not open to are the lectures from you as if you somehow know what I think or why I think it. You aren’t an Oracle nor are you a mind reader. So if that is what you want from a discussion, then you don’t need me for that.

Libertas
Board Emeritus

Post by Libertas »

And the rump defenders continue to support him while the virus is killing the people more and more each day...leaving the traitor in power DIRECTLY results in dead bodies DAILY by the THOUSANDS...

amazing what these sycophant assholes will do.

Sam Lefthand
Board Emeritus

Post by Sam Lefthand »

JoeMemphis wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:38 am
Speaking of lies. I don’t think I ever said I opposed institutional changes. I have no idea exactly what changes you propose. Some I may agree with and others I might not. I don’t favor undermining government institutions. I don’t think it’s necessary in order to reform them. Further most everything I have been talking about involves a change in public policy. So the statement that changing institutions and public policy somehow frightens me is factually incorrect.

As far as buyin. Democracy is built on buy in. If you want to change institutions, public policy, structures, law; all that requires people to buy in. But as you state, you don’t think you need it. And then you will wonder why you don’t get it and probably blame that on others as well. I get that people who suffer because of inequality or inequity don’t appreciate being ignored or lectured to or told how they should or should not think because of the color of their skin or who they choose to love. Nobody likes that.

I am open to change. What I am not open to are the lectures from you as if you somehow know what I think or why I think it. You aren’t an Oracle nor are you a mind reader. So if that is what you want from a discussion, then you don’t need me for that.
I think an institutional change needs to be made which may undermine a current policy which has become the basis from which a police force is established. For a police force to exist at all there should be a compelling reason why that jurisdiction could not be better served by that city's county government.

About the only example I can think of which would rise to be compelling would be a city who's boundaries extend into the boundaries of two or more counties.

Once it has been established that a city should have its own police force, it should be required that the head of that force be an elected official who goes before the voters for a vote every two years.

Never ever should a town council or mayor be empowered to appoint the person who is the head of the force which may watch over, spy, arrest, and charge a citizen with a crime.

I also think the prosecutor who heads an office of prosecutors should always be an elected official.

But I do not think judges should be elected officials, I think they should be appointed by a level of government higher than the county and city for which they serve, and they be ratified by a legislative body after having passed an exam specific to presiding over a court.

JoeMemphis
Board Emeritus

Post by JoeMemphis »

Sam Lefthand wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:20 am
I think an institutional change needs to be made which may undermine a current policy which has become the basis from which a police force is established. For a police force to exist at all there should be a compelling reason why that jurisdiction could not be better served by that city's county government.

About the only example I can think of which would rise to be compelling would be a city who's boundaries extend into the boundaries of two or more counties.

And once it has been established that a city should have its own police force, it should be required that the head of that force be an elected official who goes before the voters for a vote every two years.

Never, ever, should as town council or mayor be empowered to appoint the person who is the head of the force which may watch, spy, arrest and charge citizens with a crime.

I think the prosecutor who heads an office of prosecutors should always be an elected official.

But I do not think judges should be elected officials, I they should be appointed by a level of government higher than the county and city for which they serve, and they be ratified by a legislative body after having passed an exam specific to presiding over a court.
I have no problem with that. Memphis has its own police force and Shelby county has the sheriffs department. Two overlapping bureaucracies. Historically the residents within the city have fought consolidated government and the county residents aren’t all that enthusiastic about it either as they do not want their taxes to increase nor do they want responsibility for some of the problems of the inner city.

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:38 am
As far as buyin. Democracy is built on buy in. If you want to change institutions, public policy, structures, law; all that requires people to buy in.
Repeating, since you seem to have missed it the first time:

I'm just not interested in seeking white-conservative buy-in, coddling your feelings about having been born a white male into a segregated, misogynist and sexist society; or trying to compel you to agree with me about anything on this topic of police brutality against Black people and Latinos.

carmenjonze
Board Emeritus

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:24 pm
And now you see why racism is STILL such a big problem.
Whie conservatism is a public health menace.