Racist/Corrupt/Immoral Police Thread.

News and events of the day
Motor City

Re: Racist/Corrupt/Immoral Police Thread.

Post by Motor City »

Terrorism charges that are fabricated and self serving and shooting a protester

‘Assassinated in cold blood’: activist killed protesting Georgia’s ‘Cop City’
.....Police raids on the forest intensified until 14 December, when a half-dozen “forest defenders” were arrested and charged with “domestic terrorism” under state law – another unprecedented development in US environmental activism, said Lauren Regan, founder of the Civil Liberties Defense Center, who has a quarter-century’s experience defending environmental protestors charged with federal terrorism sentencing enhancements and others.

Seven more activists were arrested and received the same charges the day Manuel was killed....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dXn-LVXfII
Atlanta Police Kill Forest Defender at Protest Encampment Near Proposed “Cop City” Training Center

We get an update on calls for an independent investigation into the Atlanta police killing of an activist during a violent raid Wednesday on a proposed $90 million training facility in a public forest, known by opponents to the facility as “Cop City.”

Law enforcement officers — including a SWAT team — were violently evicting protesters who had occupied a wooded area outside the center when they shot and killed longtime activist Manuel Teran, who went by the name “Tortuguita.”

Police claim they were fired on, though protesters dispute this account. We hear a statement from an Atlanta forest defender about what happened, and speak with Kamau Franklin, an anti-“Cop City” activist and the founder of the Atlanta organization Community Movement Builders.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

So basicly the outsiders coming in to Georgia threatening the public with violent militarized authorities are corporate business folks who are likely using money they got from tax incentives, cuts, abatements ect. to pay for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGa8PhljzgU
Who is paying for Atlanta's 'Cop City?'
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11YYEEZxd8

Don't Want to Die in Georgia
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Arkansas officers charged in violent arrest caught on video

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Two former Arkansas law enforcement officers are charged with civil rights violations in the violent arrest of a man outside a convenience store that was caught on video and widely shared on social media, the U.S. Justice Department announced Tuesday.

Former Crawford County sheriff's deputies Zack King and Levi White are charged with using excessive force by hitting Randal Worcester multiple times while he was on the ground during an Aug. 21 arrest. A bystander used a cellphone to record the arrest in the small town of Mulberry, about 140 miles (220 kilometers) northwest of Little Rock, near the border with Oklahoma.

https://news.yahoo.com/arkansas-officer ... 26426.html
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Tyre Nichols: Five Memphis police officers charged over death
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64420124

Five ex-police officers have been charged with second-degree murder after a man died following a traffic stop in Memphis, Tennessee.
Tyre Nichols, 29, died three days after his arrest on 7 January for alleged reckless driving.

The officers, who are all black, also face charges of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression.
The family of Mr Nichols, who was black, say he had been severely beaten.

US President Joe Biden called for "peaceful protest" as authorities prepare to release the footage on Friday evening local time.
The city's police chief earlier also urged people to remain calm once the clip is made public.
"This is not just a professional failing," Police Chief CJ Davis said of the former officers' alleged conduct. "This is a failing of basic humanity toward another individual."
The five officers, all of whom joined the Memphis Police Department in the last six years, were fired last week after an investigation found them to be "directly responsible for the physical abuse of Mr Nichols".
Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Desmond Mills Jr, Emmitt Martin III and Justin Smith are all in custody, jail records show.

[snip][end]
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:17 pm Tyre Nichols: Five Memphis police officers charged over death
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64420124

Five ex-police officers have been charged with second-degree murder after a man died following a traffic stop in Memphis, Tennessee.
Tyre Nichols, 29, died three days after his arrest on 7 January for alleged reckless driving.

The officers, who are all black, also face charges of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression.
The family of Mr Nichols, who was black, say he had been severely beaten.

US President Joe Biden called for "peaceful protest" as authorities prepare to release the footage on Friday evening local time.
The city's police chief earlier also urged people to remain calm once the clip is made public.
"This is not just a professional failing," Police Chief CJ Davis said of the former officers' alleged conduct. "This is a failing of basic humanity toward another individual."
The five officers, all of whom joined the Memphis Police Department in the last six years, were fired last week after an investigation found them to be "directly responsible for the physical abuse of Mr Nichols".
Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Desmond Mills Jr, Emmitt Martin III and Justin Smith are all in custody, jail records show.

[snip][end]
First, I hate to hear something like this happened in the City where I spend the last 35 years. I am sorrow for the family and friends of Mr Nichols. I have a feeling more will come out as the investigation progresses and they proceed towards trial.

It appears thus far that MPD, TBI and local prosecutors moved very quickly to investigate this incident and charge the officers involved. Hopefully by involving the family and communicating with them, local leaders and the community, Memphis will avoid violence and rioting in the streets. Of course the former officers are innocent until proven guilty but from what I have heard, there was no attempt to cover anything up nor were the officers thrown under the bus without a proper investigation. It’s a bad situation but but I think law enforcement has handled it as well as can be expected.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:13 pm First, I hate to hear something like this happened in the City where I spend the last 35 years. I am sorrow for the family and friends of Mr Nichols. I have a feeling more will come out as the investigation progresses and they proceed towards trial.

It appears thus far that MPD, TBI and local prosecutors moved very quickly to investigate this incident and charge the officers involved. Hopefully by involving the family and communicating with them, local leaders and the community, Memphis will avoid violence and rioting in the streets. Of course the former officers are innocent until proven guilty but from what I have heard, there was no attempt to cover anything up nor were the officers thrown under the bus without a proper investigation. It’s a bad situation but but I think law enforcement has handled it as well as can be expected.
This is the reason most folks don't think more cops is the answer to our gun problem.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:18 pm This is the reason most folks don't think more cops is the answer to our gun problem.
I didn’t say it was the answer to the gun problem. I did say it was part of the solution to the crime problem.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:50 pm I didn’t say it was the answer to the gun problem. I did say it was part of the solution to the crime problem.
It’s not a solution when cops murder citizens.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:19 pm It’s not a solution when cops murder citizens.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Not all cops murder citizens. Most cops don’t murder citizens.

We need cops. IMO we need more cops.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:23 pm :roll: :roll: :roll:

Not when too damned many cops are corrupt. When you have a situation when FIVE cops get together to murder, that is a red flag, wouldn’t you say? That NOT ONE OF THEM would say, hey, maybe murdering this citizen is a bad idea?
Drak

Post by Drak »

On J6 you sure didn’t care about cops.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:25 pm Not when too damned many cops are corrupt. When you have a situation when FIVE cops get together to murder, that is a red flag, wouldn’t you say? That NOT ONE OF THEM would say, hey, maybe murdering this citizen is a bad idea?
All I actually know is what little has been reported. As I said earlier, I am sure we will learn more as the investigation proceeds.

That aside, we need law enforcement. We need more of them. We have shortages of them in many of our larger cities and crime is on the increase. We need more of them in Memphis. So yeah, we need to do a better job of weeding out the bad cops. That goes without saying. But I am not one to throw the baby out with the bath water. We need more cops. Memphis needs more cops. New York, Chicago need more cops.
Drak

Post by Drak »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:40 pm All I actually know is what little has been reported. As I said earlier, I am sure we will learn more as the investigation proceeds.

That aside, we need law enforcement. We need more of them. We have shortages of them in many of our larger cities and crime is on the increase. We need more of them in Memphis. So yeah, we need to do a better job of weeding out the bad cops. That goes without saying. But I am not one to throw the baby out with the bath water. We need more cops. Memphis needs more cops. New York, Chicago need more cops.
No, there needs to be gun regulations and better trained cops.

And Violent crime is the highest in red states.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:40 pm All I actually know is what little has been reported. As I said earlier, I am sure we will learn more as the investigation proceeds.

You should know it’s bad when the District Attorney and Police Department immediately charge all five officers with kidnapping and murder. We’ll see tomorrow how vicious the video is. I’m sure you’ll be all for giving them the benefit of the doubt, right?

Of course, you don’t have to worry, you’ll never be treated like that, as citizens that are white upper-middle class riding in nice cars don’t have anything to worry about, right?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:59 pm You should know it’s bad when the District Attorney and Police Department immediately charge all five officers with kidnapping and murder. We’ll see tomorrow how vicious the video is. I’m sure you’ll be all for giving them the benefit of the doubt, right?

Of course, you don’t have to worry, you’ll never be treated like that, as citizens that are white upper-middle class riding in nice cars don’t have anything to worry about, right?
Yep its bad when you get charged with murder, kidnapping. Goes without saying. As for benefit of the doubt. I think that is written in the constitution. I didn't make that rule. You will need to talk to the founders. in this country, guilt has to be proven. Sounds like the cops, TBI and the DA feel like they have a pretty strong case.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:18 pm Yep its bad when you get charged with murder, kidnapping. Goes without saying. As for benefit of the doubt. I think that is written in the constitution. I didn't make that rule. You will need to talk to the founders. in this country, guilt has to be proven. Sounds like the cops, TBI and the DA feel like they have a pretty strong case.
Yeah, look at the video tomorrow, and then come and talk about benefit of the doubt.

Of course, you had that for George Floyd too, didn’t you?
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

660,000 law enforcement had interactions with 61,000,000 people. The vast, vast, vast, vast majority result in proper interactions. By comparison, the behavior like what’s alleged here is rare.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:05 pm 660,000 law enforcement had interactions with 61,000,000 people. The vast, vast, vast, vast majority result in proper interactions. By comparison, the behavior like what’s alleged here is rare.
I know a few lawyers in Memphis. I do not believe this is a case of a random police stop that went south. There are rumors that one of the officers had a personal grievance with Mr Nichols. Of course, that is just a rumor and there may be nothing to it. I do think there is more to this story.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58-x9362cw4
Five fired police officers in Memphis, Tennessee, have been charged with second-degree murder in a killing that has echoed across the country. The victim, Tyre Nichols, died after a confrontation during a traffic stop earlier this month. Attorneys for Nichols' family say body camera footage shows a police beating that lasted three minutes. John Yang reports.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:05 pm 660,000 law enforcement had interactions with 61,000,000 people. The vast, vast, vast, vast majority result in proper interactions. By comparison, the behavior like what’s alleged here is rare.
White man to black people: No problem here, folks. Shut the fuck up and comply.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:18 pm Yep its bad when you get charged with murder, kidnapping. Goes without saying. As for benefit of the doubt. I think that is written in the constitution. I didn't make that rule. You will need to talk to the founders. in this country, guilt has to be proven. Sounds like the cops, TBI and the DA feel like they have a pretty strong case.
I take it you agree with Greengrass that there’s no real problem here, right?

The biggest change I see is that, for ONCE, the Police and the D.A. aren’t engaging in obstruction and coverup. They aren’t defending the officers in any way. They always try to keep footage from being seen by the public. This is the first time that the footage that causes an arrest of officers wasn’t taken by the public and put on social media. Maybe it’s because the officers are black, so they won’t defend them, where the Police in Minnesota was trying to defend the officers, it took the state to investigate and charge the officers.

I guess my question is, why? I mean, it took months and months for Derick Chauvin to be charged, and these officers were charged in just over two weeks.

What is the difference?

I think one of the biggest problems is how the police are trained. Most of them have to go through “warrior” training, which is military-style training that treats the public like enemy combatants, so that the Police see themselves as being in a constant kill-or-be-killed scenario every day.

To turn this back on Greengrass, there are 660,000 officers. In 2022, only 64 officers died from gun violence. 74 died from COVID-19.

So such training is unrealistic, and ingrains into officers the idea that they are in a war zone, where any reasonable conduct could get them killed. We shouldn’t be training officers to go to Iraq. We are a free country, and don’t deserve a gestapo.

You guys SCREAM about the Constitution all the fucking time. How about you worry about whether all citizens, not just white citizens, are always treated with dignity and respect, and enforce the Constitution first?
gounion

Post by gounion »

I think some of our problem is also our popular media. None of these cop shows are realistic. I mean, look, I enjoyed Dirty Harry as much as the next adolescent boy. But it wasn’t REAL, and you couldn’t have a Dirty Harry in real life.

My wife and I resenting finished binging all seasons of 9-1-1 and Lonestar 9-1-1. As a child, I really liked Emergency! The idea of paramedics was just taking off, and it popularized and helped bring the concept around to the nation, and lives were, and are, saved because if it.

9-1-1 takes the show concept further, showing the 9-1-1 operators, police, fire and paramedics. It’s exciting, and for the most part, well done. It’s something to see how far our technology and training has taken our rescue efforts. And Angela Bassett is the BOMB! A great actress that takes the role to another level.

My biggest problem is that, though I like and get involved with the characters, it’s as much a soap opera as it is a procedural drama. I want to watch MORE rescues and less relationship drama.

The problem with the shows are that they aren’t a realistic view of what happens. Every week it seems that a member of the cast is shot, blown up, or, in one case, gets a piece of rebar completely through the head, back to front, and is back on the job the second episode after. I mean, I’d hate to thank of their life insurance rates! I’m pretty sure none of our conservatives would watch this show, because they include gay and lesbian couples, and Lonestar has a Muslim female and even a trans character, shown as reasonable and positive forces in the community.

But the point is, IT’S NOT REAL. These shows are meant to be fun, escapist fantasy, not the real world. The latest Lonestar episode (The series is set in Austin, but is filmed in LA) shows a severe weather outbreak including a hailstorm. A show from the first season shows a tornado. The FX is HORRIBLE and unrealistic, and I’ve been in more hailstorms than I can shake a stick at, and the aftermath of tornadoes.

And first responder’s lives aren’t in danger every day. Most first responders can probably count on both hands the times their lives were TRULY in danger or they were injured on the the job on both hands through their entire career. Anyone who picks a career as a first responder based on these shows are going to find themselves bored out of their minds.

Cop shows are the worst. But if cops look upon their lives on the job from these shows, they are going to feel like every citizen they encounter are psychopaths out to kill them, and will treat them as enemy combatants rather than United States citizens with rights as a free people.

If we get what Joe wants, then we become a Police State akin to the old Soviet Union. Pair that with their demand that every man, woman and child deserves an arsenal, you have trouble.

If I were a black man, I would NEVER carry a gun, even with a permit. I mean, you can’t even be a black man in an army uniform and not get threatened with deadly force by an officer, and we have the one video of a black man saying, yes, I have a licensed firearm in the car, and then the cop immediately shoots him dead.

Wouldn’t happen to a white man. That’s the victim mentality the police have.

So that’s where we need to start. Sure, it’s hard to be a peace officer in a land where you’re a civil servant, not a civil master.

You guys yearn for the good old days? Well, I’d rather see a Sheriff Taylor than every officer being a member of S.W.A.T.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

When cops go over the edge, everyone suffers. I would imagine soon as the video airs, they'll be fighting in the streets of LA again. I'm not going anywhere tonight and you shouldn't either.

Point being, we're all being oppressed by oppression. When cops of any race oppress people of color for any reason, the whole country loses. Less talking and more fixing.

Warrior training is indeed a bad idea. American streets are not Ukraine. There is no enemy in the military sense. Every single person in the city does not want cops dead. It's a big part of the problem, and it's why the Black woman said, "the only race that matters is Cop." We have to stop this.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22