Racist/Corrupt/Immoral Police Thread.

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Racist/Corrupt/Immoral Police Thread.

Post by carmenjonze »

San Rafael police officers placed on paid leave after bloody takedown of gardener with open beer - KGO-TV
New developments a day after the ABC7 I-Team first showed you a video of San Rafael police officers approaching a man who had an open beer, taking him down and beating him, then charging him with felony resisting arrest.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Stella Beat
@StellaBeat

What’s the name of the phobia where black people are afraid of being shot while in bed within seconds after the police come into a bedroom?

https://twitter.com/StellaBeat/status/1 ... 0811558913

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

McDowell County deputies facing federal racial profiling charges - Bluefield Daily Telegraph
Two McDowell County deputies are facing allegations in federal court of racial profiling.

The five-count civil action was filed in the U.S. District Court for Southern West Virginia in Bluefield.

According to the complaint, Dalton T. Martin and Jordan A. Horn, both McDowell County Sheriff’s Office deputies, are accused of committing federal constitutional violations of “unlawful and outrageous racial profiling, harassment and retaliation” against three African-American county residents in an Aug. 7, 2020, incident.

The complaint says that, “based on nothing other than the plaintiffs’ skin color, Donnie and Ventriss Hairston were accused of growing four marijuana plants located in overgrown brush at a nearby property owned by a third party.”

Their landlord, Jason B. Tartt, is also a plaintiff. He lives in an adjacent residence and walked to the scene when he was called by the Hairstons as the incident began after Martin and Horn came to the Hairstons’ residence.

“When the plaintiffs expressed criticism of their treatment by the officers, occurring on their own front porch, and asked for the names of the two officers for their own protection, the two defendant officers engaged in an egregious abuse of authority by retaliating against them, harassing them, physically forcing the Hairstons inside the front door of their home, preventing them from witnessing and recording the misconduct being perpetrated by the defendant officers,” the complaint alleges. “After Plaintiff Jason Tartt, a former Military Policeman, questioned the authority of the officers to engage in the unlawful racial profiling and mistreatment of himself and his tenants, the defendant officers engaged in unlawful retaliation against Mr. Tartt, including a false arrest and incarceration. The charge was later dismissed.”
Martin wrote in his police report narrative that, “Upon our arrival we incountered [sic] by two elderly subjects who was [sic] on the porch and asked them if they growed [sic] marijuana and they stated “No”.
Wow. Racist as hell AND ignorant as hell.

Never seen that, before.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

LAPD officer detains teen for filming an arrest in viral video

A Los Angeles officer was filmed detaining a teenage boy who was recording an arrest of another young man. According to Film The Police LA’s Twitter account, the arrest occurred during a movie night hosted by the Harbor City Council and the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD).

The teenager, Robert, was helping out with the event when LAPD allegedly approached him and other attendees, according to Robert’s mother. She said that once officers detained the teen’s best friend, Robert started filming, at which point officer Victor Quezada lunged at him.

https://www.revolt.tv/article/2022-09-0 ... an-arrest/
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ap215 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:05 pm LAPD officer detains teen for filming an arrest in viral video

A Los Angeles officer was filmed detaining a teenage boy who was recording an arrest of another young man. According to Film The Police LA’s Twitter account, the arrest occurred during a movie night hosted by the Harbor City Council and the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD).

The teenager, Robert, was helping out with the event when LAPD allegedly approached him and other attendees, according to Robert’s mother. She said that once officers detained the teen’s best friend, Robert started filming, at which point officer Victor Quezada lunged at him.

https://www.revolt.tv/article/2022-09-0 ... an-arrest/
Looks like the kid trying to run is afraid for his life. either way, if you are gonna film police stand back another 10 feet or so and use zoom...These cops did not attack the people filming but probably because they were outnumbered.

We need to have training programs nationwide of how to deal with police and we can break it down into various categories:

A category is if you are not white and being arrested, be submissive as you can unless it is evident they will beat you anyway, I guess...

B category is if filming, how far to stand etc. If you are white you can get closer, etc.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:11 pm A category is if you are not white and being arrested, be submissive as you can unless it is evident they will beat you anyway, I guess...
Doesn't work.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:25 pm Doesn't work.
Yeah, I am trying to figure out what will. If the answer is nothing, then this is a police state.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:48 pm Yeah, I am trying to figure out what will. If the answer is nothing, then this is a police state.
Well..it was such during the Indian Wars, Trail of Tears, Reconstruction, segregation, Bracero programs, and police brutality has not ended since the formal end of the latter. The cops were born in part from the slave patrols.

The US has basically been a police state for nonwhites from the outset of the whole place.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

This should not come as a surprise to anyone. The goal of the Oath Keepers militia is for LE to uphold what they consider to be the Constitution. So of course there are a ton of elected officials and police chiefs in this group.

Elected officials, police chiefs on leaked Oath Keepers list - AP
The names of hundreds of U.S. law enforcement officers, elected officials and military members appear on the leaked membership rolls of a far-right extremist group that’s accused of playing a key role in the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, according to a report released Wednesday.

The Anti-Defamation League Center on Extremism pored over more than 38,000 names on leaked Oath Keepers membership lists and identified more than 370 people it believes currently work in law enforcement agencies — including as police chiefs and sheriffs — and more than 100 people who are currently members of the military.

It also identified more than 80 people who were running for or served in public office as of early August. The membership information was compiled into a database published by the transparency collective Distributed Denial of Secrets.

The data raises fresh concerns about the presence of extremists in law enforcement and the military who are tasked with enforcing laws and protecting the U.S. It’s especially problematic for public servants to be associated with extremists at a time when lies about the 2020 election are fueling threats of violence against lawmakers and institutions.

“Even for those who claimed to have left the organization when it began to employ more aggressive tactics in 2014, it is important to remember that the Oath Keepers have espoused extremism since their founding, and this fact was not enough to deter these individuals from signing up,” the report says.

Appearing in the Oath Keepers’ database doesn’t prove that a person was ever an active member of the group or shares its ideology. Some people on the list contacted by The Associated Press said they were briefly members years ago and are no longer affiliated with the group. Some said they were never dues-paying members.
:? okay.
“I don’t even know what they’re posting. I never get any updates,” said Mike Hollinshead, sheriff of Idaho’s Elmore County. “I’m not paying dues or membership fees or anything.”

Hollinshead, a Republican, said he was campaigning for sheriff several years ago when voters asked him if he was familiar with the Oath Keepers. Hollinshead said he wanted to learn about the group and recalls paying for access to content on the Oath Keepers’ website, but that was the extent of his involvement.

Benjamin Boeke, police chief in Oskaloosa, Iowa, recalled getting emails from the group years ago and said he believes a friend may have signed him up. But he said he never paid to become a member and doesn’t know anything about the group.

Eric Williams, police chief in Idalou, Texas, also said in an email that he hasn’t been a member or had any interaction with the Oath Keepers in over 10 years. He called the storming of the Capitol “terrible in every way.”

“I pray this country finds its way back to civility and peace in discourse with one another,” he said.
This is classic KKK M.O.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

He wasn't mugging anybody. He wasn't selling drugs, or hell even loose cigarettes. Hadn't passed anybody a fake bill.

Nope, Watering Flowers While Black. :| AND he was a preacher, too...

Black preacher arrested while watering flowers sues police
https://apnews.com/article/alabama-arre ... position_6

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A Black pastor who was arrested by white police officers while watering the flowers of a neighbor who was out of town filed a federal lawsuit alleging the ordeal violated his constitutional rights and caused lingering problems including emotional distress and anxiety.

Michael Jennings filed the lawsuit Friday night against three officers and the central Alabama town of Childersburg requesting a jury trial and seeking an unspecified amount of money.

[snip]

The suit alleged the actions of Officers Christopher Smith and Justin Gable, Sgt. Jeremy Brooks and the city violated rights protecting against unlawful arrest and guaranteeing free speech. He cited multiple continuing problems including post traumatic stress disorder and humiliation.

[snip][end]
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:04 am He wasn't mugging anybody. He wasn't selling drugs, or hell even loose cigarettes. Hadn't passed anybody a fake bill.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — A Black pastor who was arrested by white police officers while watering the flowers of a neighbor who was out of town filed a federal lawsuit alleging the ordeal violated his constitutional rights and caused lingering problems including emotional distress and anxiety.

Michael Jennings filed the lawsuit Friday night against three officers and the central Alabama town of Childersburg requesting a jury trial and seeking an unspecified amount of money.

[snip]

The suit alleged the actions of Officers Christopher Smith and Justin Gable, Sgt. Jeremy Brooks and the city violated rights protecting against unlawful arrest and guaranteeing free speech. He cited multiple continuing problems including post traumatic stress disorder and humiliation.

[snip][end]
Black while...
ap215

Post by ap215 »

ProfX wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:04 am He wasn't mugging anybody. He wasn't selling drugs, or hell even loose cigarettes. Hadn't passed anybody a fake bill.

[snip]

[snip][end]
Unreal :problem:
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

And this guy thinks I’m supposed to call the cops when getting mugged, knowing full well that so many cops ARE the thugs.

This is how easily people put others in danger, then wonder why we don’t trust them.

:problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

Colorado parents say 22-year-son fatally shot by police was in mental health crisis
At a tearful press conference Tuesday, Christian's mother, Sally Glass, displayed a pendant of Jesus recovered from her son’s car engraved with the words, “Pray for us.”

“We have to pray for us in America to make this a less violent country,” Sally Glass said. “I think a lot of people now would agree that there is a systemic problem with policing: It’s too aggressive. They escalate at every opportunity, and it looks like they are spoiling for a fight. ... They should be protecting us, not attacking us.”

Glass said her son was “petrified” and “paralyzed” by fear the night he was killed.

“I have a hole in my heart, and it will be there until the day I die,” Glass said.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

San Francisco passes controversial surveillance plan - SF Gate

I voted for Mayor Breed, and generally I like her. But I do not support her policing/DA policies. This one, included. :?

Lol bradman thinks I'm supposed to call these people when I get mugged. Well now a bot camera can do it for me, I guess. :problem:

What a f'ed up idea.
In a 7-4 vote on Tuesday, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors agreed to test Mayor London Breed's controversial plan to overhaul the city's surveillance practices, which will allow police to access private security cameras in real time.

Supervisors Catherine Stefani, Aaron Peskin, Gordon Mar, Matt Dorsey, Myrna Melgar, Rafael Mandelman and Ahsha Safaí voted to approve the trial run, while Connie Chan, Dean Preston, Hillary Ronen and Shamann Walton voted in dissent.

“I know the thought process is, ‘Just trust us, just trust the police department.’ But the reality is people have been violating civil liberties since my ancestors were brought here from an entirely, completely different continent,” Walton — the board president and District 10 representative — said.

Under the new policy, police can access up to 24 hours of live video of outdoor footage from private surveillance cameras owned by individuals or businesses without a warrant as long as the camera's owner allows it. Police must meet one of three outlined criteria to use their newfound power: they must be responding to a life-threatening emergency, deciding how to deploy officers in response to a large public event or conducting a criminal investigation that was approved in writing by a captain or higher-ranking police official.

The trial will last 15 months. If supervisors wish to extend or revise the policy, they must take a second vote.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Breonna Taylor warrant details deepen mistrust in police - AP News
“We were right to protest,” Louisville Urban League President Sadiqa Reynolds tweeted shortly after Goodlett’s plea. “People are dead and lives upended because of a pile of lies.”

Some Louisville officers have been disciplined, fired, and even charged with crimes for abusing protesters, in addition to the four officers now charged federally in relation to the botched raid. But the problems can’t be blamed on a few rogue officers, according to a lawsuit brought by Taylor’s white neighbors, who were nearly hit by gunfire during the raid.

They accuse the department of having a “warrior culture” and cultivating an “us vs. them” mentality. In a lawsuit, the family of the man shot at the restaurant alleges that police aggression during a curfew instigated his death.

Louisville is working on numerous reforms, implementing a new 911 diversion program, increasing leadership reviews of search warrant requests and improving officer training. The city has outlawed “no knock” warrants, conducted an independent audit and paid Taylor’s mother $12 million in a civil settlement. A new police chief, Erika Shields, was hired in 2021.

Such reforms have been implemented amid a continuing U.S. Department of Justice investigation of LMPD’s policing practices, which could land at any moment.

The chief called Taylor’s death “horrific,” and said in an interview with The Associated Press that she welcomes the federal investigations, which led to charges against Goodlett and the other officers. “I think we’re in an important place that was necessary to get to, before we move on,” she said.
I sure hope she's stepped up her personal security to the premium package.
No incident highlighted the racial divide more than the fatal shooting of Black restaurant owner David McAtee as police sought to enforce the city’s curfew in a predominantly African American neighborhood far from the center of the Taylor protests.

Just before midnight on May 31, 2020, Louisville officers and Kentucky National Guard members were sent to a gathering spot near McAtee’s YaYa’s BBQ “for a show of force (and) intimidation,” McAtee’s family alleges in a lawsuit.

A few nights earlier, officer Katie Crews had been photographed in a line of police as a protester offered her a handful of flowers. Crews posted the image on social media, writing that she hoped the protester was hurting from the pepper balls she “got lit up with a little later on.”

“Come back and get ya some more ole girl, I’ll be on the line again tonight,” Crews wrote.
Can't reform this, not a training issue.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Texas police charge ex-officer who shot unarmed teen eating a hamburger - WP

He'll walk, but this is progress, I guess.
A former San Antonio police officer who shot an unarmed teenager while he was eating a hamburger in a McDonald’s parking lot earlier this month has been arrested and charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault by a public official.

James Brennand turned himself in to police Tuesday evening, San Antonio Police Chief William McManus told reporters at a news conference. The 17-year-old, Erik Cantu, was seriously wounded in the incident and remains in hospital, in a “critical but stable condition,” McManus said.

On the evening of Oct. 2, while investigating an unrelated disturbance at the fast-food restaurant, the officer — who was fired less than a week after the shooting — spotted a vehicle that he believed had fled from him during an attempted stop the night before. He suspected that it was stolen, and called for backup, according to a police account.

Body-camera footage released by police showed Brennand abruptly opening the driver’s door and ordering Cantu to get out of the car. The startled teenager reversed the car, with the door still open. Brennand — who was struck by the door — stepped back and opened fire. He continued to shoot as the car drove away. Cantu was hit multiple times, while a female passenger was uninjured, according to police.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

When they say he was armed, don't believe them.

When they say they feared for their lives while shooting people in the back, don't believe them.

Gulfport Police Kill 15-Year-Old Jaheim McMillan, Prompting Search For Answers - Mississippi Free Press
At Tuesday’s press conference, Gulfport Police Chief Adam Cooper said that officers responded to a 911 call on Thursday, Oct. 6, 2022. “The Gulfport Police Department received a telephone complaint from a 911 caller about a motorist in a silver Kia Soul with a Georgia state license plate accompanied by several subjects later identified as McMillan, Bell, Thomas, Ellis and Cooper. They were brandishing firearms at passing motorists and began chasing one of them.”

After that car entered the Family Dollar parking lot, Cooper said, two officers in two separate police cars followed them. “Immediately two individuals exited the vehicle and began to flee; officers exited their vehicles with loud verbal command, giving them instruction to stop fleeing; one of the officers observed McMillan, who was armed. The officer gave orders for him to stop and drop his weapon,” he said.

“McMillan did not comply. McMillan turned both his body and his weapon towards the officer. The officer fired at McMillan, and McMillan was struck by the bullet and fell,” Cooper said. “I have been assured by the Attorney General’s office (that this) will be a timely and thorough investigation. The evidence will be released as always upon its conclusion.”
In an interview on Thursday, Oct. 13, Stout told the Mississippi Free Press that she is an Uber driver and comes to that location to wait for notifications on her phone to pick up passengers. She said she had just driven to the Family Dollar when she “saw them put some guys on the ground and handcuff them,” and added that after that she “noticed a little little boy at the front door.

“I did see him come out the front door with his hands up, and that’s when he was shot. My mind was like, What the hell’s going on?” she said. “I’m going through—I’m going through PTSD right now. I can’t sleep, my anxiety is up. I’m very depressed.”

Virgil, a Gulfport resident and University of Southern Mississippi social-work graduate, has been taking part in demonstrations calling for “justice for Jaheim” with repeated chants of “hands up, don’t shoot” and “no justice, no peace.”

“We have two different stories from what the media put out, and what the family is saying and what eyewitnesses are saying, so they’re several different stories on what actually happened,” he said. “So at this point in time, we are just looking for transparency from the police department. Release the body-cam footage, also for Family Dollar to release the footage that they have so that way the family can know what happened.”

A receptionist at the local Family Dollar told the Mississippi Free Press on Wednesday that they “don’t have any statement at this time.”
More in link.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Glennfs »

carmenjonze wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:57 am When they say he was armed, don't believe them.

When they say they feared for their lives while shooting people in the back, don't believe them.

Gulfport Police Kill 15-Year-Old Jaheim McMillan, Prompting Search For Answers - Mississippi Free Press

More in link.
Well if it is in a non profit liberal "newspaper" it must be true
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
gounion

Post by gounion »

Glennfs wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:11 am Well if it is in a non profit liberal "newspaper" it must be true
The cops say he was armed, it must be true, right?
Glennfs

Post by Glennfs »

gounion wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:20 am The cops say he was armed, it must be true, right?
They should get the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:11 am Well if it is in a non profit liberal "newspaper" it must be true
You 're a white supremacist who openly supports far-right demagogues. FOH.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:22 am They should get the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise
No, they shouldn't. This is an authoritarian mentality that leads to the type of totalitarianism that kept formal Jim Crow in place for nearly a century.

Too many are caught lying, straight out, to the public on the public's own dime.

Dupes of demagoguery like it that way, I guess. :?
Last edited by carmenjonze on Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Glennfs wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:22 am They should get the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise
Oh the cops should. What about the victim they shot?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:23 am Oh the cops should. What about the victim they shot?
We are an entire class of criminals, to white-is-right Rightie.

Sitting ducks, fair game, choose your metaphor...we're not people or persons to these perps, and we never have been.

Corporations on the other hand...

~ Ida B. Wells