I'm Retiring....

Introduce yourself, or talk about what's happening in your life
Number6

I'm Retiring....

Post by Number6 »

I'm retiring from being the board president of my HOA after 17 years. I notified the homeowners at our annual HOA meeting in 2020 that 2021 would probably be my last year on the board. In November I officially announced my "retirement" and a couple of homeowners volunteered to be on the board.

When I became board president in 2014, there was no turnover of corporate knowledge or any written instructions concerning what to do and how to do it. It was a learn-as-you-go process. Although we had three board members for our HOA, most of the work was done by me and so instead of putting the new board members through that process I decided to write a guide for new board members. The guide breaks down the major areas such as financial statements, budgets, and reserve study as well as insurance, code compliance, scheduling termite inspections, etc.. I also included a list of contractors/vendors and their contact numbers so they won't be panicking trying to find someone in an emergency. Hopefully, when the board members leave they'll improve and pass along the guide to the new board members.

Now, I get to relax and not have to worry about every little problem in the HOA; that's someone else's job.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Re: I'm Retiring....

Post by ZoWie »

Congratulations on a job well done.

We get the meeting minutes and the advisories from the co-op board in NYC, and so I'm familiar with the weekly crises and ongoing financial issues inherent to what these boards do. Good work.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

Hopefully your replacement will be as hard-working and responsible as you were. It's a thankless job, but an important one.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:20 pm Congratulations on a job well done.

We get the meeting minutes and the advisories from the co-op board in NYC, and so I'm familiar with the weekly crises and ongoing financial issues inherent to what these boards do. Good work.
Thanks, it'll be interesting to see how they'll do. Fortunately, we only have 10 units and everyone gets along. We've only had one special assessment since I've been here and it was a unanimous vote.

The new board will be composed of three professionals; a hospital administrator, a retired Navy Captain who runs a local office of corporation back East, and an education consultant. One of the things I've seen from past boards members is the more education they have the longer it takes to come for them to take action. People tend to overthink the solution to a problem when it's usually just make a few calls and get someone out to take care of the problem. I've let them know they can still call on me for information or advice.
When you vote left, you vote right.