Ukraine

News and events of the day
JoeMemphis

Re: Ukraine

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:40 pm So interesting what, as usual, is ignored there. I agree Ukraine is not a formal ally - not a member of NATO, no formal treaties with U.S.

That said, Ukraine is a pro-Western democracy, Russia is currently an anti-Western autocracy. Most of the world acknowledges Russia is the unwarranted aggressor in the conflict.

Russia is not our enemy? Well, they launched cyber-attacks on the U.S. for years ... so I disagree ... that his how hostile nations act.

Disagree with the final points, too. Russia's war on Ukraine is fueling global inflation, and causing a large influx of Ukrainian refugees into many places, including our own country. Not that I don't think we should take Ukrainian refugees in, but, obviously, it affects our nation with the costs of absorption.
Russia is definitely not our friend. And while Ukraine may not have been a formal member of NATO, I do believe if we had not supported their resistance, Putin would not have stopped with Ukraine. In addition, we would have looked weak to China and that would have put Taiwan more at risk.

I might quibble with some minor timing issues as far as our support of the Ukrainians but I do think that this is something the administration got right.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Republicans were/are pro Russia/anti Ukraine under Donald Trump. Republicans were/are also anti NATO. Trump and the GOP attempted to dismantle NATO and weaken Europe, to benefit Russia. They constantly attacked America’s Allies while Trump praised Putin and other nefarious nations like NoKo.

If Trump won, Ukraine would be gone.

Joe Biden United America’s Allies and strengthened a weakened NATO making it stronger than ever.

No one wants to hear from Trump supporting republicans about what Biden got right. You are not qualified.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

gounion wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:23 pm Just think of all the right-wingers that thought Putin was a great man. Like Trump and the NRA.
All those Traitorous Republicans who traveled to Russia sit at the feet Putin, that is what Joe votes for.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Drak wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:00 pm Republicans were/are pro Russia/anti Ukraine under Donald Trump. Republicans were/are also anti NATO. Trump and the GOP attempted to dismantle NATO and weaken Europe, to benefit Russia. They constantly attacked America’s Allies while Trump praised Putin and other nefarious nations like NoKo.

If Trump won, Ukraine would be gone.

Joe Biden United America’s Allies and strengthened a weakened NATO making it stronger than ever.

No one wants to hear from Trump supporting republicans about what Biden got right. You are not qualified.
:lol:
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Joe, you vote for these bastards. You vote for them, you support them. You can do all the doublespeak that you are so well known for, but you vote them, you support them.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Drak

Post by Drak »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:12 pm:lol:
Laughing at the truth are we? Not a surprise since you don’t follow what goes on. At all. Hilarious that you then come to a message board about politics. Is it time to repost all the links on Trump’s attacks on NATO and pro Putin policies?

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:50 pm Russia is definitely not our friend.
The South will rise again
Russia is our friend

— Some very fine people in Charlottesville

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

Drak wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:43 pm Laughing at the truth are we? Not a surprise since you don’t follow what goes on. At all. Hilarious that you then come to a message board about politics. Is it time to repost all the links on Trump’s attacks on NATO and pro Putin policies?
Nah. Just laughing at you. Feel free to repost anything I’ve ever posted that was Pro Putin or Pro Trump. Knock yourself out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

marindem01 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:40 pm Joe, you vote for these bastards. You vote for them, you support them. You can do all the doublespeak that you are so well known for, but you vote them, you support them.
Never voted for Putin. Never voted for Trump. Wrong on both counts.
Drak

Post by Drak »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:18 pm Nah. Just laughing at you. Feel free to repost anything I’ve ever posted that was Pro Putin or Pro Trump. Knock yourself out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I mean, you can laugh in simple fashion and play pretend. But you vote for them.
Last edited by Drak on Thu May 12, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:19 pm Never voted for Putin. Never voted for Trump. Wrong on both counts.
Marsha Blackburn, dumbest person in Congress, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Donald Trump, as is the party you vote for.

All of you have something wrong with you.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:36 pm Marsha Blackburn, dumbest person in Congress, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Donald Trump, as is the party you vote for.

All of you have something wrong with you.
He’s most likely a Desantis guy, too. Who is another version of Trump, He’s also more than likely a Rick Scott/Marco Rubio guy, too, who are Trump lackies. They all are. In fact, it doesn’t much matter. Trump is the leader of the Republican Party, and he votes for them, like you said.

JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Drak wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:35 pm I mean, you can laugh in simple fashion and play pretend. But you vote for them.
You can play pretend all you want little man. Doesn’t make what you say true. But whatever floats you boat. It’s all the same to me.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Every night i go to bed hoping my wish will come true.

Every morning i wake up hoping to read the headline, Putin dead.

i'll make no apologies for that. The rest of the world would be better off with Putin horizontal instead of vertical.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:58 pm Every night i go to bed hoping my wish will come true.

Every morning i wake up hoping to read the headline, Putin dead.

i'll make no apologies for that. The rest of the world would be better off with Putin horizontal instead of vertical.
I would shed no tears for the man. I might buy a round and toast the fact that the world is better off without him.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

One more time Joe, if YOU vote for the people who defend and support the Traitor, you in are in fact defending and supporing the Traitor.

If YOU vote for people who defend and support Putin, you are in fact supporting and defending Putin.

By YOUR very vote, YOU defend, YOU support the actions of the people you vote for.

YOU cannot seperate act (VOTING) from intention (Defending and Supporting both the Traitor and Putin). One is the same as the other.

Now for more of Joe double speak.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:12 pm I would shed no tears for the man. I might buy a round and toast the fact that the world is better off without him.
I'd sleep better at night that's for sure.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Number6

Post by Number6 »

One tenet of modern warfare is to obtain air superiority over your opponents. Control the air and you can control or limit the movement of troops and supplies. Russia has not obtained air superiority over Ukraine, the Ukrainian Air Force still flies, and part of the reason for this is Ukraine's use of shoulder-fire missiles. While Russia has the advantage in the number of aircraft and air technology they suffer problems of poorly maintained aircraft, lack of spare parts, lack of fuel, logistical support, and their air systems and pilots aren't well-versed in handling air-to-surface missiles like the Stinger and Javelin missiles.

IMO, Russia's military might isn't as powerful as they'd like people to believe. Conscripted troops don't perform as well as professional troops and reports are coming in saying Russian troops are sabotaging their tanks and vehicles in order not to be sent to fight in Ukraine. In terms of command, it appears their command structure is high centralized where officers in the lower units need guidance/permission from above to do anything. When decision making is removed from the lowest levels it requires the higher-ups to go to the front to solve the unit's problem which is why Russia has lost so many generals.

One area I've always looked at is the logistics aspect and how well a country can push supplies, weapons, food, and troops from the their country to the war zone. The lack of ability to sustain supply lines spells disaster for any country invading another country. During the 80s, while in Germany, we were briefed on if Russia were to attack it would be through the Fulda Gap and I remember tell friends that wasn't going to happen because Russia doesn't have the logistics capacity to support an invasion.

The only nation I know of who has the logistics capability to support a sustained war is the U.S.. We have bases world-wide and agreements with other nations to use their ports and bases should the U.S. have to go to war. We have the military air fleet, as well as the civilian air fleet if necessary, and ocean going civilian cargo ships to transport the material and personnel to support a war.
When you vote left, you vote right.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

marindem01 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:01 pm One more time Joe, if YOU vote for the people who defend and support the Traitor, you in are in fact defending and supporing the Traitor.

If YOU vote for people who defend and support Putin, you are in fact supporting and defending Putin.

By YOUR very vote, YOU defend, YOU support the actions of the people you vote for.

YOU cannot seperate act (VOTING) from intention (Defending and Supporting both the Traitor and Putin). One is the same as the other.

I'd say he is too stupid to put these two very easy things together. But conservatives are such dishonest people.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu May 12, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Number6 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:32 pm One tenet of modern warfare is to obtain air superiority over your opponents. Control the air and you can control or limit the movement of troops and supplies. Russia has not obtained air superiority over Ukraine, the Ukrainian Air Force still flies, and part of the reason for this is Ukraine's use of shoulder-fire missiles. While Russia has the advantage in the number of aircraft and air technology they suffer problems of poorly maintained aircraft, lack of spare parts, lack of fuel, logistical support, and their air systems and pilots aren't well-versed in handling air-to-surface missiles like the Stinger and Javelin missiles.

IMO, Russia's military might isn't as powerful as they'd like people to believe. Conscripted troops don't perform as well as professional troops and reports are coming in saying Russian troops are sabotaging their tanks and vehicles in order not to be sent to fight in Ukraine. In terms of command, it appears their command structure is high centralized where officers in the lower units need guidance/permission from above to do anything. When decision making is removed from the lowest levels it requires the higher-ups to go to the front to solve the unit's problem which is why Russia has lost so many generals.

One area I've always looked at is the logistics aspect and how well a country can push supplies, weapons, food, and troops from the their country to the war zone. The lack of ability to sustain supply lines spells disaster for any country invading another country. During the 80s, while in Germany, we were briefed on if Russia were to attack it would be through the Fulda Gap and I remember tell friends that wasn't going to happen because Russia doesn't have the logistics capacity to support an invasion.

The only nation I know of who has the logistics capability to support a sustained war is the U.S.. We have bases world-wide and agreements with other nations to use their ports and bases should the U.S. have to go to war. We have the military air fleet, as well as the civilian air fleet if necessary, and ocean going civilian cargo ships to transport the material and personnel to support a war.
There's so much truth to unpack there.

i'd start with this.....

[bold] It's been a problem for Russia that dates back to the Czars and made worse by the Bolshevik's. No trust in those that are rising through the ranks.

If it hadn't been for the likes of Armand Hammer they wouldn't have been able to industrialize like they did. While it was nothing short of amazing that they were able to locate whole industries behind lines in a matter of months during WWII, without the trucks supplied by the west they would have never been able to push forward after the tide was turned at Stalingrad. Logistics. While they could produce mass amounts of iffy tanks and planes, they had no real plan for logistics and moving that force forward.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Number6 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:32 pm One tenet of modern warfare is to obtain air superiority over your opponents. Control the air and you can control or limit the movement of troops and supplies. Russia has not obtained air superiority over Ukraine, the Ukrainian Air Force still flies, and part of the reason for this is Ukraine's use of shoulder-fire missiles. While Russia has the advantage in the number of aircraft and air technology they suffer problems of poorly maintained aircraft, lack of spare parts, lack of fuel, logistical support, and their air systems and pilots aren't well-versed in handling air-to-surface missiles like the Stinger and Javelin missiles.

It boils down to the PFC with AK-47. As they taught us in basic infantry training, close with the enemy by means of fire and maneuver. Ever Rome and Hannible and his damn elephants. Russia is being out maneuvered by Ukraine. Their troops are highly mobile. Without mobility, the Russians are tying themselves in knots. Their tanks are easy prey to anti-tank missiles and with the Ukrainian Airforce flying close air support (love that stuff, personal experience) and the poorly Russian Forces and the inability Russian Officers to respond a mobile attacking force....they are in plain terms getting their ass kicked.

A battle is an evolving thing, being to respond to that evolving environment is something the Russians cannot or have not to adapt to will in the defend defeat them. By their tactics, the Russians are in a state of flux, their goals continue change. Stick to one target. Russians do not seem to be able to do that.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:18 pm Nah. Just laughing at you. Feel free to repost anything I’ve ever posted that was Pro Putin or Pro Trump. Knock yourself out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Getting the government to destroy other people's lives is a big joke to conservatives, yes.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

marindem01 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:01 pm One more time Joe, if YOU vote for the people who defend and support the Traitor, you in are in fact defending and supporing the Traitor.

I heard you Marin the first time. I just think you pull your assumptions and your logic out of your ass. You aren’t pissed about who I vote for or why, you are pissed and insulted that I don’t choose to vote for candidates you like and support. So like a small child that didn’t get their way, you pitch a hissy fit and demonize the people you don’t agree with.

I never voted for Trump. I don’t support Putin or Russia. As far as I know, none of the people I have voted for in the past support Putin or Russia or the actions taken by them against the Ukraine.

Anything else? Or are you just going to continue to make baseless ignorant claims you can’t support except in your rather small feeble mind.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Joe, you vote for people who support Putin. If you vote for people who support Putin, YOU support Putin.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:41 am You aren’t pissed about who I vote for or why, you are pissed and insulted that I don’t choose to vote for candidates you like and support. So like a small child that didn’t get their way, …
:lol:

This is coming from a person who is only capable of stinking up this board with the same five repeated opinions and zero factual links to back them up.

Nobody GAD if you don’t vote like us. Only a pure narcissist would think that.

The last thing anyone needs is the support of the dumbest person on this board, who votes for the dumbest people in Congress, who is too dumb to recognize that a vote for Marsha Blackburn is a vote for Trump policies.

~ Ida B. Wells