F1 starts March 18

Football, Baseball, Curling... All the Important Ones!
Libertas

Re: F1 starts March 18

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:17 am More on the development vs. budget cap issue:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/61551759

Keep in mind that, given the global reach of F1 and its attendant transportation costs, plus the requirement that all cars use custom in-house designs, $140 meg is chicken feed.
Watching Azerbaijan and what the hell, I thought Mercedes solved the porpoising problem? Why are they still so slow?

I was going to Google the ages of Leclerc Sainz Perez Verstappen Hamilton Russell and see if he is that much older than the rest of them, Russell is faster than Lewis also.

He’s 37 years old, the rest of them are in their 20s I’m betting. No idea if that has anything to do with it but anything is possible.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Everyone seems to be going bouncy bouncy bouncy on those long bumpy straights in windy old Baku. There's been some hand wringing about how they thought they were on top of the porpoising problem but really weren't.

At the rate Haas is destroying race cars, they're gonna hit the budget cap pretty soon.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

“Bouncing a lot at high speed”
- Lewis Hamilton, Silverstone

That sucks, still.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I noticed they are not showing the car that is in distress or the driver is not out of it yet, this reminds me of when Earnhardt died and they wouldn’t show the car and one other time when I saw sprint car race and the guy was decapitated and the way they don’t show the car like they’re not showing the car now, I haven’t fast forwarded yet I don’t know what happened.

Zhou is the driver.

He’s alive.

That car went into the area of the fence over the tire barrier there were people walking within a couple of feet where that car landed and it almost got up into the grand stands very bad situation they better rethink that area

George Russell turns left and caused the accident looks like to me, he didn’t turn left of course but you know what I mean.

As the announcer said when they started to show replays they won’t show the replays until they’re sure all the drivers are OK, that’s why I knew something could be wrong and I still don’t know what the status of Zhou is because I haven’t FF yet other than he is alive.

https://twitter.com/zhouguanyu24/status ... AYIKei5vQg

Interesting thing here is he says the “Halo “saved him, the very piece of equipment Earnhardt refused to wear that was available the day he was killed and it would’ve saved him, most believe anyway it would’ve.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/62030429
The race was delayed for an hour after a huge pile-up at the first corner caused a red flag, which took attention away from environmental protesters who had invaded the track after the start.

Alfa Romeo's Zhou Guanyu vaulted the barriers at the first corner after sliding upside down across the gravel trap, but was freed from the car by paramedics and declared uninjured after a check-up at the medical centre.

Williams driver Alex Albon was flown to Coventry Hospital for precautionary checks after he was involved in a separate accident, Aston Martin's Sebastian Vettel punting him into the pit wall.
Albon was examined and released, and was walking.

The Zhou crash was pretty hairy, and that's why they didn't want to run the replays. As you said, it's always a cause for concern when they don't right away.

After that it was a cracking good car race.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:44 pm https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/62030429

Albon was examined and released, and was walking.

The Zhou crash was pretty hairy, and that's why they didn't want to run the replays. As you said, it's always a cause for concern when they don't right away.

After that it was a cracking good car race.
By now there must be an article somewhere about rethinking that part of the track where that car very easily could have hit those people walking by or gone further into the stands. Way too close for comfort.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:58 pm There is.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/62031509
Oh god, look at this

You can see his head/helmet. There were people walking in that area when it happened, on TV the space looks bigger.
One of the pics is dipshit Tom Cruise at the race. Notice he was wearing Rolex GMT with the polished bracelet. Love to have that one.

Is he considered to be the prick I KNOW he is in that he is a leader of a cult? By others in Hollywood?
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Tom Cruise is not held in high regard, except when people want to make big bucks off him. It seems that he and the director were there scouting for a movie about F1. May God protect us from more Hollywood F1 epics. The last bunch were some of the worst (and most expensive) movies ever made.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:10 pm Tom Cruise is not held in high regard, except when people want to make big bucks off him. It seems that he and the director were there scouting for a movie about F1. May God protect us from more Hollywood F1 epics. The last bunch were some of the worst (and most expensive) movies ever made.
Which ones? BTW have you watched the Netflix series on F1? I have not, I tried a couple of times and got distracted.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I’m confused, what is this Sprint thing, is it a separate race today before the main race I’m confused I remember it from last year but I am watching something on ESPN it looks like practice but maybe it’s qualifying but maybe the sprint I don’t know.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

We're dealing with the FIA here, so nothing will ever be simple. In general, it's safe to say that French organizing bodies rarely do anything the simple way.

Ross Brawn, or at least I think it was Ross Brawn, has been active trying to make F1 less of a technical exercise and more of a spectator sport. This is one of the reasons it's catching on in the US. Americans don't do technical.

In order to put more action into the weekend, he got the powers that be, whoever they are right now, to change the format. The old format is practice twice Friday, practice and qualifying Saturday, race on Sunday. They decided to experiment with a new format. It goes practice and qualifying for a much shorter sprint race on Friday, practice and the sprint race on Saturday, and the outcome of the sprint race determining the grid for Sunday.

It seemed gimmicky, but I could get to like it.

They tried it three times last year, and decided to do more times this year, but for whatever reason that didn't happen, so it's still three times this year.

There were issues at the Austrian GP. The track is owned by Red Bull, and it does seem as if they packed the stands with their own fans. Maybe marketed more aggressively in Holland, dunno, but it was a mess of orange shirts and smoke bombs making it harder to see the cars at times. I wonder what driving a race car through those clouds of toxic orange shit feels like. Can't be fun. Worse, Dutch sports fans are notoriously rowdy, and indeed the FIA is looking into a series of racist incidents on Sunday that might have led to police reaction and injuries.

As always, the wheels in the administrative offices will turn a lot slower than the ones on the track.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

We're dealing with the FIA here, so nothing will ever be simple. In general, it's safe to say that French organizing bodies rarely do anything the simple way.

Ross Brawn, or at least I think it was Ross Brawn, has been active trying to make F1 less of a technical exercise and more of a spectator sport. This is one of the reasons it's catching on in the US. Americans don't do technical.

In order to put more action into the weekend, he got the powers that be, whoever they are right now, to change the format. The old format is practice twice Friday, practice and qualifying Saturday, race on Sunday. They decided to experiment with a new format. It goes practice and qualifying for a much shorter sprint race on Friday, practice and the sprint race on Saturday, and the outcome of the sprint race determining the grid for Sunday.

It seemed gimmicky, but I could get to like it.

They tried it three times last year, and decided to do more times this year, but for whatever reason that didn't happen, so it's still three times this year.

There were issues at the Austrian GP. The track is owned by Red Bull, and it does seem as if they packed the stands with their own fans. That's not hard to do since Verstappen drives for Red Bull Racing, and he's Dutch. So maybe they marketed more aggressively in Holland, dunno, but it was a huge expanse of orange shirts and hundreds of orange smoke bombs blowing across the track and making it harder to see the cars at times. I wonder what driving a race car through those clouds of toxic orange shit feels like. Can't be fun. Worse, Dutch sports fans are notoriously rowdy, and indeed the FIA is looking into a series of racist incidents on Sunday that might have led to police reaction and injuries.

As always, the wheels in the administrative offices will turn a lot slower than the ones on the track.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I knew nasty little Bernie Ecclestone was an asshole, but turns out he's also a crook and a member in good standing of Putin's oligarchy. He's currently up on criminal fraud charges.

BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/62119689
The 91-year-old spent 40 years as the head of F1 before being removed as its chief executive officer in 2017.

The CPS said the charge of fraud is "in respect of his failure to declare to HMRC the existence of assets held overseas believed to be worth in excess of £400m".

Last month Ecclestone said he would "take a bullet" for Russia's president Vladimir Putin in an interview with ITV's Good Morning Britain.

In May, Ecclestone - who was involved with F1 in various roles since the 1950s - was arrested in Brazil for illegally carrying a gun while boarding a plane.
No wonder he could buy the biggest house in LA for his daughter. These are the people we have allowed to rule the world.

No wonder the Russian Grand Prix passed without an objection, while New York couldn't get one on the calendar. But Bernie was forced out, and he sold
F1 to a US right wing media conglomerate that wants races in Miami and Vegas. Miami actually started this year, with a theme-park circuit complete with a fake yacht harbor full of plastic water.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:08 pm I knew nasty little Bernie Ecclestone was an asshole, but turns out he's also a crook and a member in good standing of Putin's oligarchy. He's currently up on criminal fraud charges.

BBC:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/62119689

No wonder he could buy the biggest house in LA for his daughter. These are the people we have allowed to rule the world.

No wonder the Russian Grand Prix passed without an objection, while New York couldn't get one on the calendar. But Bernie was forced out, and he sold
F1 to a US right wing media conglomerate that wants races in Miami and Vegas. Miami actually started this year, with a theme-park circuit complete with a fake yacht harbor full of plastic water.
Time to get real angry...the kind of anger that accomplishes things :twisted:
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Already done that. There are commercial enterprises that are far worse than F1, and those are on my list.

Would have been nice, though, if F1's new owners had been someone less associated with what's causing a lot of the problems in the US. Still, I'll take them over the global transnational oligarchy, which is basically what Bernie is. At least they're in it to make a profit, not to channel money to the people who want us dead.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I guess Mercedes has not fixed the porpoising problem, but right now Louis seems to be keeping his lead over Perez consistent even though five seconds behind LeClerc.

I am only on lap seven and I just remembered if Perez gets around Hamilton he’ll probably take off so yes, still haven’t fixed it.

And the Redbull team has always confused me since most of the other teams are all car manufacturer based.

WRECK

What does LeClerc say after his wreck something about Russell? Can’t be. I mean right after it happened the radio do you know what I’m talking about

He said I cannot find throttle

(restart; I don’t understand why for instance in this case Hamilton didn’t get right up behind Verstappen, to restart are they required to have certain distance?)
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That race reminded me of the Indy 500 in the bad old days, when you didn't win unless you avoided the chaos breaking out all around you.

Leclerc is a WTF. Like, what just happened here???????? Far as the radio message goes, it's only like 10 seconds after he hit the wall after losing the rear end while leading an important race, and he's not thinking, who would be, and he's babbling something like, "Oh, oh, the throttle..." (pregnant pause) (screams) "NOOOOOOOOO!" I didn't get much information from that, though had I been leading a Grand Prix and found myself stuck in a tire barrier I wouldn't be very coherent either.

I don't know if it was the car or the driver or both. Far as the car goes, seems like Ferrari has had equipment problems all year, and also the throttle setup really is suspect given all the trouble McLaren seems to be having with basically the same control hardware. Still looks like driver error though. He went in really hot.

I still have the recording of this thing. I'll have to do some slo-mo replays later.

No one understood why the other Ferrari was ordered into the pits by the team when it was about to gain a podium spot, though the team guy at the end said it was because they had a 5 second penalty and would have lost the place anyway. WTF??????? Enzo in the bad old days would have fired him on the spot. Anyway, had they not fracked up the previous pit stop, there would have been no 5 second penalty in the first place.

I don't think I've ever looked forward to the F1 summer break before, but with the heat wave in Europe it gives the weather three weeks to hopefully back off. The other problem they're having this year is that it's bordering on too hot to race.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

He admitted it was all him, a mistake.

What I saw in slo mo of the replay of the wreck was a worn right front that looked bad.

I was asking about what he said because it SOUNDED like he said "Russell" which he did not...
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That track is notoriously hard on tires. Also, if you go off, those abrasive stripes in the runoff areas are great at slowing down the car before it hits the wall, but sliding over them pretty well sandpapers off whatever rubber is left. Even if you don't hit the wall, it's a pit stop and tire change for you.

They're not going to race there any more. I don't know why. Usually with the French GP the issue is money. Also the site is the kind of place Ecclestone loved, with that executive airport right by the back straight for all his oligarch buddies to land at. The new owners seem more inclined toward attracting the teeming masses.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Mr Russell, WOW!
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Lewis, 2nd. Fastest lap and yet, far behind Max.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Libertas wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:29 pm Which ones? BTW have you watched the Netflix series on F1? I have not, I tried a couple of times and got distracted.
I think we get Netflix, can't keep all these streamers straight, maybe we don't. Our plan changes every 3 months. Changes seem random and when you call the provider on the phone they tell you things that turn out not to be true. It's a low-information environment, like being in a war.

I'm not as big on streaming as most people. I'm a die hard motion picture guy. I don't like watching product on cell phones. I like stuff in 65/70mm anamorphic with 5 stereo channels and speakers with bass horns that you can sit in (when the sound is off, hopefully).

I like the way that I do F1 now. It records the Sky feed off ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU in the wee hours (if the race is east of the Atlantic) and I watch it when I get up. I can fast forward through the red flags and rain delays. Also I like Crofty and his pals.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:06 pm I think we get Netflix, can't keep all these streamers straight, maybe we don't. Our plan changes every 3 months. Changes seem random and when you call the provider on the phone they tell you things that turn out not to be true. It's a low-information environment, like being in a war.

I'm not as big on streaming as most people. I'm a die hard motion picture guy. I don't like watching product on cell phones. I like stuff in 65/70mm anamorphic with 5 stereo channels and speakers with bass horns that you can sit in (when the sound is off, hopefully).

I like the way that I do F1 now. It records the Sky feed off ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU in the wee hours (if the race is east of the Atlantic) and I watch it when I get up. I can fast forward through the red flags and rain delays. Also I like Crofty and his pals.
Your plan changes every 3 months? What plan are you talking about, phone/internet/cell? I am curious this.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It's complicated. As we know, everything has a subscription, and also there are an awful lot of providers out there. Practically every TV show that gets a buzz on it now has a subscription if someone wants to see it. No matter which ones you're shelling out for, there are always others. Frankly, there aren't that many shows I care about, but I'm not the only person in this house, and the plan has to be changed every time some streamer isn't on it.

It doesn't help that the people at the call centers in India, China, the Philippines, or Vietnam don't really know the details either, though they will make you think they do.

There are two companies involved here, one for TV and one for wi-fi, so double the pleasure.

Frankly, I miss The Big Red Box. Oh hell, I miss when there were only about six major distributors.