EARTH....

News and events of the day
ap215

Re: EARTH....

Post by ap215 »

‘Bomb cyclone’ brings damaging winds, drenches California

CAPITOLA, Calif. (AP) — Hurricane-force winds, surging surf and heavy rains from a powerful “atmospheric river” pounded California on Thursday, knocking out power to tens of thousands, causing flooding, and contributing to the deaths of at least two people, including a toddler whose home was crushed by a falling tree.

Raging seas damaged two historic piers, rock and mudslides closed down highways, and deep snow piled up at ski resorts in the latest in a series of atmospheric rivers — long plumes of moisture stretching far over the Pacific — to reach the drought-stricken state. The “Pineapple Express” storm originated near Hawaii and was pulled toward the West Coast by a rotating area of rapidly falling air pressure known as a “bomb cyclone.”

https://apnews.com/article/california-w ... osition_05
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

The Rain in California looks much like the Employment that job creators created and the politicians claimed as something good happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrEgtOeJGzQ
rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6aQ488bQQ0
rain

Too much not enough or downright dangerous and deadly, and out of sync with humanity.

'The ground is saturated': It's raining again in California on Saturday
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Motor City wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:51 pm The Rain in California looks much like the Employment that job creators created and the politicians claimed as something good happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrEgtOeJGzQ
rain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6aQ488bQQ0
rain

Too much not enough or downright dangerous and deadly, and out of sync with humanity.

'The ground is saturated': It's raining again in California on Saturday
I'm sure a lot of people are finding out their roofs are leaking and will have to be repaired. They need to be careful because just like after a hurricane there are people claiming to be contractors who will scam them out of their money.

We've had rain in the San Diego area but it's nothing like what's going on in Northern California. When I was stationed in Sacramento I made sure to find an apartment nowhere near a river or creek because I didn't want to deal with any potential flooding.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

LA's last storm was billed as potentially life threatening, but unless you were homeless sleeping in a flood channel, it was nothing of the sort. No leaks here yet, though that usually happens because for years there's no real heavy rain, the endless sun tends to rot out the typical LA roof, then it all comes at once. That situation predates climate change. It's just the nature of this weird place.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

The US has a new lightning capital, and it's next to a popular tourist destination

Lightning is one of nature’s most powerful forces, and in 2022, there was an increase in lightning activity in the United States. In fact, there were more lightning bolts detected across the U.S. last year than there have been since the turn of the decade.

Vaisala Xweather, an environmental measurements company, has released its annual lightning report for 2022 that details lightning trends across the country, how many bolts were observed in each state and which town in the United States is the new lightning capital.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/severe-w ... on/1465315
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

There are a lot of variables here. I'd rather see a moving average of multiple years than an arbitrary time period that changes every January 1 as disseminated by an organization that hired a PR firm.

People are probably going to start saying that climate change isn't a problem because look at all the rain in California which was supposedly drying up and blowing away. One event, possibly caused by a historic volcanic eruption dumping gigatons of crud into the atmosphere, or maybe just a random alignment of variables, is not a trend. Ask me again in 20 years.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

UN says ozone layer slowly healing, hole to mend by 2066

DENVER (AP) — Earth’s protective ozone layer is slowly but noticeably healing at a pace that would fully mend the hole over Antarctica in about 43 years, a new United Nations report says.

A once-every-four-years scientific assessment found recovery in progress, more than 35 years after every nation in the world agreed to stop producing chemicals that chomp on the layer of ozone in Earth’s atmosphere that shields the planet from harmful radiation linked to skin cancer, cataracts and crop damage.

https://www.aol.com/news/un-says-ozone- ... 35759.html
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

We are now the lead story on the BBC. We've pushed the Ukraine war and Prince Harry off the headlines. The top row on their site is all California Flood Disaster. With real-time coverage, news analysis and deep background. We seem to be a bigger deal than the drumpf rogue's gallery inciting an insurrection in Brazil.

Weather Channel is live from the streets of LA. I'm disappointed that they didn't send Jim Cantore. They have some broad standing in the mud saying oh look I'm surrounded by mud. Some other broad has been on all the channels, live from The Sinkhole in Chatsworth. It actually is a fair to middling sinkhole. It's deep. It ate two cars, and it took the FD hours to get the people in them to safety.

She is advised to find a less hilly street before she's surrounded by neck deep water.

The Nooz is especially impressed by the fact that Montecito has been evacuated. They aren't especially excited by the mere fact that the coast highway is closed indefinitely, with a river where a freeway used to be, cutting off coastal SoCal from the north, or that 10,000 people have to find another place to stay for the foreseeable future. What really sends them into ecstasy is that CELEBRITIES are among those affected.

Better stay off of Mul. The hill will give way on you as you try to find the practically vertical slope where I once blew out my clutch in an A-lister's driveway.

Seriously, it's the biggest storm since (roll the drums) 2005. That's right, 17 whole years. Not a hundred year storm, not a thousand year storm, just an excuse for the Nooz to cover yet another California Dystopian Disaster.
bradman

Post by bradman »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:19 pm We are now the lead story on the BBC. We've pushed the Ukraine war and Prince Harry off the headlines. The top row on their site is all California Flood Disaster. With real-time coverage, news analysis and deep background. We seem to be a bigger deal than the drumpf rogue's gallery inciting an insurrection in Brazil.

Weather Channel is live from the streets of LA. I'm disappointed that they didn't send Jim Cantore. They have some broad standing in the mud saying oh look I'm surrounded by mud. Some other broad has been on all the channels, live from The Sinkhole in Chatsworth. It actually is a fair to middling sinkhole. It's deep. It ate two cars, and it took the FD hours to get the people in them to safety.

She is advised to find a less hilly street before she's surrounded by neck deep water.

The Nooz is especially impressed by the fact that Montecito has been evacuated. They aren't especially excited by the mere fact that the coast highway is closed indefinitely, with a river where a freeway used to be, cutting off coastal SoCal from the north, or that 10,000 people have to find another place to stay for the foreseeable future. What really sends them into ecstasy is that CELEBRITIES are among those affected.

Better stay off of Mul. The hill will give way on you as you try to find the practically vertical slope where I once blew out my clutch in an A-lister's driveway.

Seriously, it's the biggest storm since (roll the drums) 2005. That's right, 17 whole years. Not a hundred year storm, not a thousand year storm, just an excuse for the Nooz to cover yet another California Dystopian Disaster.
The news here in Mn. gives the impression ya all should be building an Ark.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Here's the poop on LA rainy years. Everything goes to shit in the hills, so don't live in the hills. In the flats, it's the same travel disruption and power outages you get everywhere else when it rains/snows too much, and it's more an inconvenience than a disaster. The Nooz doesn't cover that. Too boring. They much prefer standing in the chaos waiting for some celebrity to evacuate.

They got their money's worth in Montecito on the south end of Santa Barbara, but that's 100 miles NW of here. Three or four celebrities live there so they all go crazy every time the burned off slope comes down. Still, I wouldn't live in Santa Barbara for anything. There are 6000 foot mountains right above town, the saturated air off the ocean hits them, and you can't believe how hard it rains. Honestly, unless you've been in FL in hurricane season or parts of AZ in late August, you've never seen anything like it. It's like standing under Niagara Falls. They got several FEET of rain in the past week.

Maybe you saw the new season premiere of Highway Through Hell on the Weather Channel. They're up to last year's hellacious flood in BC when they had the same atmospheric river pattern that CA has now. Well, there are parts of Santa Barbara county that look like that. Rivers where highways used to be, houses several lots south of where they were built, etc etc.

This isn't Santa Barbara. Mostly the problem is that the traffic lights stopped working and it was hard to get around.
bradman

Post by bradman »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:50 am Here's the poop on LA rainy years. Everything goes to shit in the hills, so don't live in the hills. In the flats, it's the same travel disruption and power outages you get everywhere else when it rains/snows too much, and it's more an inconvenience than a disaster. The Nooz doesn't cover that. Too boring. They much prefer standing in the chaos waiting for some celebrity to evacuate.

They got their money's worth in Montecito on the south end of Santa Barbara, but that's 100 miles NW of here. Three or four celebrities live there so they all go crazy every time the burned off slope comes down. Still, I wouldn't live in Santa Barbara for anything. There are 6000 foot mountains right above town, the saturated air off the ocean hits them, and you can't believe how hard it rains. Honestly, unless you've been in FL in hurricane season or parts of AZ in late August, you've never seen anything like it. It's like standing under Niagara Falls. They got several FEET of rain in the past week.

Maybe you saw the new season premiere of Highway Through Hell on the Weather Channel. They're up to last year's hellacious flood in BC when they had the same atmospheric river pattern that CA has now. Well, there are parts of Santa Barbara county that look like that. Rivers where highways used to be, houses several lots south of where they were built, etc etc.

This isn't Santa Barbara. Mostly the problem is that the traffic lights stopped working and it was hard to get around.
So does it look like you'll benefit from this in your area?

i caught a program on the weather channel. Part of it had Newsome talking upgraded storm water management. It kinda went like this...22 trillion gallons and no way to contain it...........

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... ater-tech/
Can California’s massive rain solve its historic drought?
California could get 22 trillion gallons of rain in the coming days. But what does that mean for the state’s drought?

In a perennial problem that even when California does get rain, much of it runs off into the ocean or is otherwise uncollected. But there’s new storm water technology that could help change that, scientists say, as the decades-old discipline shifts to help water managers collect rainwater, purify it and store it for times of drought.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That's the major problem. Maybe you saw pictures of the raging torrents in the storm channels. All that water goes into the ocean, where it pollutes the beaches and causes health warnings. LA needs more spreading basins, etc, and a full rethink of whether natural watercourses really need to be paved over. Much better to let all that water percolate into the ground, and lose the impurities as it filters down.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

I was watching the CBS Evening News last night and they reported on the series of atmosphere river storms hitting California. The reporter said the amount of rain that has fallen on California would cover the entire state in water 15 inches deep. The problem California suffers is many cities channel rain water into the streets and then into storm drains. If a storm drain backs up then the street floods damaging buildings and washing away cars.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Out of curiosity, do you guys have any of these?...

Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:44 pm That's the major problem. Maybe you saw pictures of the raging torrents in the storm channels. All that water goes into the ocean, where it pollutes the beaches and causes health warnings. LA needs more spreading basins, etc, and a full rethink of whether natural watercourses really need to be paved over. Much better to let all that water percolate into the ground, and lose the impurities as it filters down.
In San Diego, the local news warns us not to go into the ocean for at least 72 hours because of all the bacteria that get washed into the ocean. In Tijuana, their sewage treatment system breaks down continuously causing raw sewage to drain into the ocean after a storm polluting their beaches as well as the cities of Imperial Beach and Coronado. Imperial Beach has had to close their beach most of the year and Coronado has had to do the same numerous times as well. The Navy built a Navy Seals training facility next to Imperial Beach and their trainees have to train in those polluted waters. The good news is the U.S. and Mexico agreed to spend millions of dollars to repair the Tijuana sewage treatment system.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:52 pm Out of curiosity, do you guys have any of these?...

Not sure what you're asking about. It looks like the plantings have a drainage outlet. Our 10-unit complex has a small court where the downspouts empty into our plantings. We have rain barrels to capture 50 gallons of rainwater to keep it out of the ground because it gets flooded and our wood chips float away to the street and into the city's drainage system which empties out into the ocean. We do rake back the wood chips so they won't float away whenever there's a storm coming so that helps that problem.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

22 trillion gallons of rain seems like it would be a lot of energy, maybe turn some of that into electricity, pipe some underground for the geothermal differences, engage in some massive steam endeavors.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Motor City wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:59 pm 22 trillion gallons of rain seems like it would be a lot of energy, maybe turn some of that into electricity, pipe some underground for the geothermal differences, engage in some massive steam endeavors.
That would be a gigantic infrastructure project for either the state or a company to undertake and I doubt either could afford to do it.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Number6 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:59 pm Not sure what you're asking about. It looks like the plantings have a drainage outlet. Our 10-unit complex has a small court where the downspouts empty into our plantings. We have rain barrels to capture 50 gallons of rainwater to keep it out of the ground because it gets flooded and our wood chips float away to the street and into the city's drainage system which empties out into the ocean. We do rake back the wood chips so they won't float away whenever there's a storm coming so that helps that problem.
Just wondering how prevalent rainwater gardens are there. The one in the picture is in the street and always positioned before a storm water catch basin. It's the first filter in a complex series of holding ponds. If you see rainwater gardens chances are the area takes storm water retention seriously. Here, we can't build, or rebuild, a road without them.

That's an inlet you see. When we build them they are usually sodded over and can be easily mowed. From there it's up to the home owner as to whether or not the plants and shrubs are planted. If built and planted right there should be little or no wood chips floating away. Even if some do reach the catch basin the next series of ponds are meant to catch it.

[edit] To perhaps better explain. Water running off the road/parking lot and down the curb is first caught by the rainwater garden. If and when it does fill up the water will naturally run by the garden.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Number6 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:02 pm That would be a gigantic infrastructure project for either the state or a company to undertake and I doubt either could afford to do it.
Lot of energy there for the taking just going to waste, would seem a good investment for places famous for their rolling blackouts. Could be major infrastructure or even minor, simple things like strategically placed turbines which come in all different sizes. If you got to have crazy extreme weather, why not gather the crazy extreme energy produced by it.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:30 pm Just wondering how prevalent rainwater gardens are there. The one in the picture is in the street and always positioned before a storm water catch basin. It's the first filter in a complex series of holding ponds. If you see rainwater gardens chances are the area takes storm water retention seriously. Here, we can't build, or rebuild, a road without them.

That's an inlet you see. When we build them they are usually sodded over and can be easily mowed. From there it's up to the home owner as to whether or not the plants and shrubs are planted. If built and planted right there should be little or no wood chips floating away. Even if some do reach the catch basin the next series of ponds are meant to catch it.

[edit] To perhaps better explain. Water running off the road/parking lot and down the curb is first caught by the rainwater garden. If and when it does fill up the water will naturally run by the garden.
I haven't seen any of these here. Our soil is loam meaning that is mainly sand and silt so it soaks up water pretty fast but storms can over-saturate the ground.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

California's snowpack is 226% above average, the largest in over two decades.
The California snowpack is the largest the state has seen at this time of year in over two decades, as yet another atmospheric river is forecast to dump several feet of additional snow in parts of the Sierra by Monday morning.

In the wake of all this fresh snow, experts are expressing increasing optimism that the drought conditions which have gripped the Golden State for three years could meaningfully ease by the end of the snowy season.

Wednesday’s snow haul reached 226% of average for this time of year, beating out 2005 which was 206% of average. But despite this year’s huge numbers, there’s still reason for caution. Of the 10 years in the last two decades where the state registered above average snowpack on Jan. 11, only four ended the season above average.
https://nordot.app/986041794645229568?c ... 7532812385
With the snowpack being so high and going higher with the next storm I'm starting to get worried about what happens when Spring comes and it begins to melt. That will be a lot of water flowing through creeks, streams, and rivers with the potential of flooding as well as causing mudslides in areas that had wildfires.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

These floods used to happen up north, but I don't remember snow melt being a major problem anywhere south of Bakersfield.

Oh BTW, this is exactly what climate change looks like. Droughts get drier and floods get wetter. California's already spasmodic weather becomes downright loony. The laws of physics don't care what Faux says about them, they just work. You put more energy in a system and it does everything bigger.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:18 am These floods used to happen up north, but I don't remember snow melt being a major problem anywhere south of Bakersfield.
Most of the flooding occurs in Northern California where there are more rivers and creeks and where the snowpack are in greater numbers. There have been a lot of wildfires in Northern California over the past couple of years destroying the watersheds' ability to hold snow and water so when it rains hard we get floods and mudslides.
Oh BTW, this is exactly what climate change looks like. Droughts get drier and floods get wetter. California's already spasmodic weather becomes downright loony. The laws of physics don't care what Faux says about them, they just work. You put more energy in a system and it does everything bigger.
Definitely caused by climate change. It'll take us a decade or more to figure out what the new norm for California's weather will be and how we can adapt. Gone are the perceived carefree lifestyles when we spent our time on the beach, could pick oranges off the tree in our backyard, and the "California dream life" was the envy of the nation.

Well, at least we don't have to worry about hurricanes, yet.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Pretty nasty one in LA in 1930-something, took out quite a few beach properties, and we dodged a bullet on one a year or two ago. I would not rule them out, since the laws of physics suggest that all bad weather will get worse, and chaos math suggests that we won't really be able to predict more than a few days out.