EARTH....

News and events of the day
Number6

Re: EARTH....

Post by Number6 »

Finally, we're going to get some rain, starting Friday night through Saturday. Here in San Diego from Hurricane Kay off the Baja Coast. Forecasters are saying between .7 - 1 inch along the coast and more inland. We've been in a heat wave for about ten days with temperatures in the 90s, about 15 - 20 degrees above normal and this rain should help cool us down some. This rain will also help reduce the wildfire danger but on the other hand we'll see flooding in certain sections of San Diego where it always floods in high rains and the possibility of mud and land slides will increase.
When you vote left, you vote right.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Number6 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:57 pm Finally, we're going to get some rain, starting Friday night through Saturday. Here in San Diego from Hurricane Kay off the Baja Coast. Forecasters are saying between .7 - 1 inch along the coast and more inland. We've been in a heat wave for about ten days with temperatures in the 90s, about 15 - 20 degrees above normal and this rain should help cool us down some. This rain will also help reduce the wildfire danger but on the other hand we'll see flooding in certain sections of San Diego where it always floods in high rains and the possibility of mud and land slides will increase.
Be careful over there!

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:31 pm Be careful over there!
Thanks. On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being dangerous the where I live, on the sandbar called Coronado, I'd rate the danger around a 1 or 2. Our HOA insurance agent said complex isn't in a flood zone so flooding isn't a problem. The only thing we need to prepare before hand for the storm is brushing the wood chips in our interior courtyard away from the sidewalk because two of the flower bed have rain gutters coming down and it causes four of the flower beds to overflow washing wood chips down the sidewalk for about 100 feet. We have a couple of 50-gallon rain barrels with an overflow hose which helps reduce the flooding and I and a neighbor emptied them this morning.

I forgot to mention with the high temperatures, the state has imposed a Flex Alert for the last couple of days from 4 -9 pm and starting today it goes from 3 - 10 pm. This means no air conditioning (which I don't have), use of large appliances like stoves, dishwashers, washers and dryers.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

SoCal gets hurricane or tropical storm remnants most years in September. I can tell stories. Most of the time, they just raise the humidity, cloud us up a bit, raise the night time temperatures, and remind us of why we don't live in Houston.

Only once the actual storm came through, making a considerable mess, especially in beach towns. Some of them were wiped out. But that was in 1937.

This year was the closest call in a long time. I think the eye made it to just off Ensenada before the storm curved back out to sea and dissipated. Most of the rain bands kept going north, hence the rain in San Diego, which actually delayed the ball game with the Dodgers.

There were flash floods in the mountains. Here we got .4 of an inch. Not spectacular, even by LA standards, but we'll take it. That's .4 more rain than we've had in something like 9 months.

Odd... this pattern is generally associated with El Nino, which causes higher water temps farther north and changes the storm track accordingly. Should have been the last thing to happen in a La Nina. I'm still waiting for the weather people to explain this.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:54 am SoCal gets hurricane or tropical storm remnants most years in September. I can tell stories. Most of the time, they just raise the humidity, cloud us up a bit, raise the night time temperatures, and remind us of why we don't live in Houston.

Only once the actual storm came through, making a considerable mess, especially in beach towns. Some of them were wiped out. But that was in 1937.

This year was the closest call in a long time. I think the eye made it to just off Ensenada before the storm curved back out to sea and dissipated. Most of the rain bands kept going north, hence the rain in San Diego, which actually delayed the ball game with the Dodgers.

There were flash floods in the mountains. Here we got .4 of an inch. Not spectacular, even by LA standards, but we'll take it. That's .4 more rain than we've had in something like 9 months.

Odd... this pattern is generally associated with El Nino, which causes higher water temps farther north and changes the storm track accordingly. Should have been the last thing to happen in a La Nina. I'm still waiting for the weather people to explain this.
Hurricane Kay, which brought us the rain in Southern California, has turned toward the Southwest and appears to be heading a short way back to it's original track but it will probably dissipate there. The rain it brought has extended up to Oregon and Washington. We need the rain not only to fill our reservoirs but to help lower the threat of wildfires.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The rain is fine but the 85 degree night temperatures with 80% humidity make it impossible to sleep. We're not used to it like in Texas. Air conditioning doesn't help unless you turn it up so high that you get a headache from it.

This happens every decade or so in LA, and it's one of the reasons why before covid you would generally find us in New York until around Halloween.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Probably a brief waterspout

New York Tornado Warning Urging 'Take Shelter' Ends After 25 Minutes

A tornado warning affecting residents of New York City ended after 25 minutes on Tuesday morning.

Severe thunderstorms in the region prompted the National Weather Service (NSW) to issue the brief warning for the Brooklyn and Queens boroughs of the city.

https://www.newsweek.com/new-york-torna ... es-1742359
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:57 pm The rain is fine but the 85 degree night temperatures with 80% humidity make it impossible to sleep. We're not used to it like in Texas. Air conditioning doesn't help unless you turn it up so high that you get a headache from it.

This happens every decade or so in LA, and it's one of the reasons why before covid you would generally find us in New York until around Halloween.
It gets that way here also. For me, I just keep my upstairs bedroom windows opened and I have a fan blowing directly on me. For me, that's comfortable enough.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Powerful storm slams Western Alaska

A powerful storm is slamming Western Alaska, with reports of major flooding in coastal communities including Golovin, Chevak and Hooper Bay.

The storm is the remnants of what was Typhoon Merbok, and forecasters have predicted it could be one of the worst storms to hit Alaska’s western coast in recent history.

https://alaskapublic.org/2022/09/17/pow ... rn-alaska/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

New York responding after Fiona slams Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico

HAVANA (WABC) -- Hurricane Fiona roared over the Dominican Republic on Monday after knocking out power across all of Puerto Rico, causing damage the governor said was "catastrophic," and New York State pledged to provide assistance Monday morning.

No deaths had been reported, but authorities in the U.S. territory said it was too early to know the full scope of damage from an expansive storm that was still forecast to unleash torrential rain across Puerto Rico on Monday.

https://abc7ny.com/tropical-storm-fiona ... /12237619/
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

This stuff is the new normal. PR gets blasted every couple of years now. Poor Haiti was enough of a mess, now it too gets hit as many hurricane seasons as not.

Maybe we need to put more money and work into climate measures and less into orbs and scepters.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Large Earthquake Shakes Mexican Coastline, Killing 1; Tsunami Not Expected In U.S.

A​ preliminary 7.6 magnitude earthquake has struck the Pacific coast of Mexico, not far from the town of Aquila, killing at least one person.

T​he USGS said the quake struck at 2:05 p.m. EDT Monday afternoon (1:05 p.m. local time) at a depth of about 9 miles. The epicenter was located about 23 miles southeast of Aquila.

https://weather.com/news/news/2022-09-1 ... ke-updates
ap215

Post by ap215 »

6.8 magnitude earthquake shakes Mexico, 1 dead

MEXICO CITY -- A powerful magnitude 6.8 earthquake struck Mexico early Thursday, causing at least two deaths, damaging buildings and setting off landslides.

The earthquake struck at 1:19 a.m. near the epicenter of a magnitude 7.6 quake that hit three days earlier in the western state of Michoacan. It was also blamed for two deaths.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireS ... e-90310510
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Determined to be an aftershock.

LA has yet another heat wave. They're the new normal. Oh, and they're also forecasting another rainless winter. This city never should have existed in the first place, and now it's doomed. I miss NYC in October. Goddamn covid.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:36 pm Determined to be an aftershock.

LA has yet another heat wave. They're the new normal. Oh, and they're also forecasting another rainless winter. This city never should have existed in the first place, and now it's doomed. I miss NYC in October. Goddamn covid.
Los Angeles never should have existed in the first place?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

carmenjonze wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:48 pm Los Angeles never should have existed in the first place?
Not as a city of 3.7 million, no. It has to pipe in water, but there is no water. It built a whole huge drainage system to handle the occasional cloudbursts, but these don't come any more. There was a rainy season, or so it's called, but I don't recall more than a couple of actual rain storms worthy of the name in a few years now. It actually did have a transit system, once, but GM and Firestone conspired to put it out of business. There's a documentary about this that I think is still around on the Internet. Now they're spending a fantastic amount of the taxpayers' money to build a whole new transit system, but it's costing a bundle and construction drags on for decades. We're also paying for a high speed rail line to San Francisco, but apparently it's going to end in Bakersfield because LA real estate became too expensive for eminent domain. Not a lot of demand for a three-hour trip from SF to Bakersfield.

Nobody knows how many homeless, sorry, the politically correct term is "unhoused," we have now. It's in the tens of thousands, but there's no good way to count. Encampments are appearing in "nice" neighborhoods. There is no place for a LOT of people.

The kids get their fun by taking over neighborhoods for car stunts, then they go loot the nearest 7/11. The cops can't do anything about it. They'd have to call up the National Guard and occupy the whole city, permanently. Not going to happen.

They just discovered a really scary earthquake fault that goes practically right up the middle of the city. The oil refineries are a chemical disaster waiting to happen. It's only a matter of time before downtown LA starts raining glass from the high rise buildings. They expect the shards to be several feet deep in places.

The weather has seasons that change only the average temperature, and that just keeps going up, up, up. First we were stuck in a permanent high pressure pattern, now it's apparently affected the whole Pacific Ocean all the way to South America, in what's essentially a permanent La Nina.

The sheriff is a crook, and a gangster besides. A county supervisor tried to investigate him, and he had the deputies raid her house.

The mayor has no power. The city council is on the take. One just left office in disgrace after disclosure that he took bribes from U$C to tear down more of the poor neighborhood around campus for more places for rich scions, who they call SCions, to live and party it up behind a wall of security cops.

There's a really crazy police pursuit pretty much daily. One ended about half a mile from our house yesterday. There were at least three helicopters buzzing around for hours. Police scanners are standard equipment to live here, and people listen to the mayhem for entertainment.

The place glorifies wealth like no other city this side of Dallas, or maybe even New York. The local newspaper has cut everything to nothing except the real estate ads, which run in a section called "Hot Property." They show all the fabulous $15 million homes that no one can afford. Everyone else scrapes to make the rent or mortgage.

Tourists come and take pictures of Rodeo Drive, where the stores have ultra high end merchandise costing thousands of dollars, and some days are by appointment only. In most of the rest of the city, if they are seen with an expensive camera or even a high end cell phone, the odds are fairly high that someone will relieve them of said possession.

The state forced the city to zone for higher density. Still no good way to get around, but soon Manhattan.

Aside from that, it's paradise. See you at the beach, if there's parking. Get there early.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

LAPD just set up a perimeter on pretty much the same streets as yesterday. That's two in two days. I don't know what's up this time, but I have the scanner on.
Last edited by ZoWie on Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Suspect got away, search called off. Now a huge number of city and county FD resources are being sent to a new brush fire way out in Woodland Hills.

Who needs television?

The way things are going in LA, they'll probably start selling ads on the scanner frequencies.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The new fire is in practically the worst place that one could start in this weather. One has to suspect arson, due to the proximity to a major street and the potential to burn all the way to the sea, taking out Malibu and Topanga in a disaster that would make your local paper for sure. Wouldn't be the first time. Fire department has four helicopters dropping water and probably more on the way. Ground resources are staging a few blocks down from point of ignition. Many many firefighters on the way.

But sure, come live in LA. Make sure your insurance is sufficient.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The hills are alive, with the sound of fire. Choppers all over the place picking up and dropping water. Two fixed wing air tankers we rented from Canada just got there. Malibu and Topanga are directly downwind if this armada can't stop it. The Saddle Peak comm site which is worth a few billion is being defended.

Don't live here. Please. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Fire has been designated the Lobo Fire, and forward progress has been stopped short of inhabited areas. There will be more fires. Temperatures are predicted to stay 15 degrees above "normal," whatever that is any more.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:15 pm The hills are alive, with the sound of fire. Choppers all over the place picking up and dropping water. Two fixed wing air tankers we rented from Canada just got there. Malibu and Topanga are directly downwind if this armada can't stop it. The Saddle Peak comm site which is worth a few billion is being defended.

Don't live here. Please. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.
Sounds bad, where I am is better in some ways but I get an email each day telling me whether or not the power company is going to shut off all gas and electric for 3 days.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:50 pm Sounds bad, where I am is better in some ways but I get an email each day telling me whether or not the power company is going to shut off all gas and electric for 3 days.
I don't have the problems you and Zowie have perhaps it's because I live in the nice part of California. ;)

Just kidding. I know LA's problem is too many people in too little of a space and I don't envy Zowie living there. LA, in the 60s, was a decent place to live and idealized by the Beach Boys. Unfortunately, the LA of the 60s isn't the reality of today.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Libertas wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:50 pm Sounds bad, where I am is better in some ways but I get an email each day telling me whether or not the power company is going to shut off all gas and electric for 3 days.
LADWP doesn't do the PSPS. Not yet, anyway. Edison does in some places.

What we have is power failures every time the wind blows more than 35 MPH. So far our generator is working perfectly. So far. Traditionally the weather changes in mid October from summer aka hot and humid to autumn aka hot and windy.