EARTH....

News and events of the day
rainwater

EARTH....

Post by rainwater »

...and whats left of it.

ok then.
starting over. at least thats something we can, so far, still do, in some places.

How can we dance when our earth is turning...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRv7E5qqRbE
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
sam lefthand

Re: EARTH....

Post by sam lefthand »

The Earth thread is back.

:D

That song takes me back to when I was about 30. I could still party all night and drink as much beer as I wanted to drink.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:20 pm The Earth thread is back.

:D

That song takes me back to when I was about 30. I could still party all night and drink as much beer as I wanted to drink.
ah yes. age a funny thing aint it. we come into the world with nothing, they begin to give us shit, then we start
to collect shit on our own, And then, we start having to give it all back.

i recall the days when unlimited tequila worked well. now, its a 2 drink limit with a decent hangover for that.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

For now I'll keep my posts about solar flares in the Earth thread. That might have to change in a year or so when things really get rocking and rolling in the very underrated Solar Cycle 25.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Sad news.

:cry:

Najin, one of the world's last northern white rhinos, retires from breeding

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/22/world/wh ... index.html

Najin is one of the last two northern white rhinos on Earth, the other one is her daughter. There are no males left, and the seamen they have to make a hail Mary pass with artificial insemination is from an old male and it in and of itself is getting old in the freezer as well as being from an old one who is gone.

As a practical matter there is no more hope. Perhaps cloning from tissue samples someday like they're trying to do for Woolly Mammoths.

:cry:

Another extinction. That's the bad news.

The good news is that the Southern White Rhinos number 17.000 animals and they are considered "near threatened," but not quite "threatened."

:lol:

A funny trivia, a herd of Rhinos is called a "crash of Rhinos." That's more fun than a "murder of Crows."
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Greenhouse gas concentrations hit record last year, UN says

Greenhouse gases in the atmosphere hit a record high last year despite temporary declines during the pandemic.

Greenhouse gas concentrations grew at a faster pace than the annual average from 2011 through 2020, according to the World Meteorological Organization's (WMO) Greenhouse Gas Bulletin published Monday.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... ar-un-says
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

rainwater wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:13 pm ...and whats left of it.

ok then.
starting over. at least thats something we can, so far, still do, in some places.

How can we dance when our earth is turning...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRv7E5qqRbE
Midnight Oil was the best. The front man eventually became the Environmental MInister.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

thing about 'bringing the woolly mammoth back' is....why. what will you do with this large animal.
running out of ivory??

..."science" is one thing, find a smaller more practical subject to experiment with.
humans cant even take decent care of dogs.

leave these poor extinct animals in peace. theyre not looking for large metal cages or billions of 2legs.
HST.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

rainwater wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:45 pm thing about 'bringing the woolly mammoth back' is....why. what will you do with this large animal.
running out of ivory??

..."science" is one thing, find a smaller more practical subject to experiment with.
humans cant even take decent care of dogs.

leave these poor extinct animals in peace. theyre not looking for large metal cages or billions of 2legs.
I think it might be a scam but this is what it is:

https://reviverestore.org/projects/woolly-mammoth/

They have a slick proposal page. It seems far fetched.

:|

This is the reason they give:
1) AN ECOSYSTEMS APPROACH TO CONFRONTING CLIMATE CHANGE

The tundra and much of the taiga – the sometimes swampy coniferous forest of high northern latitudes – were once a grassland ecosystem known as the “mammoth steppe.” It was home to abundant grazing herds of antelope, deer, caribou, horses, bison, and woolly mammoths. At the end of the Pleistocene, these herds vanished leading to an ecosystem conversion away from abundant grasses toward a more shrub-dominated community.

The tundra ecosystem that arose in the absence of these large grazing species is now affected by and contributing to human-driven climate change. Without large animals to compact and scrape away thick insulating layers of winter snow, extreme winter cold does not penetrate the soil. That fact, coupled with significantly warmer summers, accelerates the melting of the permafrost and the release of greenhouse gases that have been trapped for millennia. From a global carbon perspective, the carbon release from the melting of the world’s permafrost is equivalent to burning all the world’s forests 2 ½ times.

The work of Dr. Sergey Zimov shows promise that tundra can be converted back to grasslands with the introduction of grazers even 10,000 years after their disappearance. The introduction of grazers to tundra generates a nutrient cycle that allows grasses to out-compete the tundra flora, converting the ecosystem in a manner that then favors the persistence of grazers and grasses. Not only do arctic grasslands support higher biodiversity and abundance, but there is also building evidence that the grazing, compaction, and disturbance effects of these larger herbivores enable the deeper freezing of the permafrost during the winter months. The grasses then insulate the permafrost from melting during the summer months – further preventing the release of greenhouse gases.
All of that seems like it might happen 200 to a 1,000 years from now even if everything about it goes off without a hitch.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

...they wanna bring back the large mammoths so they can graze???...

gotta be a joke. a dream of unlimited fundings.

by 2030 plastics will be the numba one source of carbon on the planet. no way to remove or use it.
...well they could use coal to burn it....fill the air with more carbons and toxins.

the more deforestation the more carbon the more methane virus and toxins released from melting perma frost land
that contained carbons and toxins for 100s of 1000s of years. millions.

and we come along and fuck it all up in less than 200 years. and deny doing it!!!
HST.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

60 Minutes did a segment in 2019 on a Russian scientist who says the thawing of Siberia's permafrost will release enough CO2 to endanger the world. His solution is to return Siberia the way it was in the Ice Age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEzskUGJ_1I
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Fall nor’easter slams into Massachusetts: Power outages reported, as utility crews respond to storm damage

The wind gusts intensified Tuesday night as a powerful autumn nor’easter blew into the state, causing power outages as utility crews responded to storm damage reports.

Winds started to pick up in the evening, as coastal communities braced for 75 mph gusts and power outages that could last for days. There’s a greater chance for tree damage during this storm because of fully leafed trees and the wet ground.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/10/26 ... rm-damage/
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

the melting perma frost across siberia and other northern tiers, canada...is already changing the climate and has been
since they deforested siberia and the northern tiers.
this is not going to get better any time soon. it will take an entire nuther global shift cycle for any forests to
begin anew.
at this point, humans planting a few trees aint gonna change much. the water is gone and and the trees needed
to CLEAN the carbons and give back oxygen are the PINES and they cant grow in this heat. conifers are snow trees.
trees that live in cold and snow and then grow again in warmer days.
they dont and cant live long in heat and droughts. the more of them you cut down the worse and long term the conditions you create.

when humans on this earth began Recently talking about this it was 60years ago and we could have limited the damage if
our system of ..living...had paid any fucking attention to what was needed vs what wallst decided to capitalize on.
its too late now.
every acre they clear cut they then grow AG on, looking for more product to sell the 2legs.

you cant keep beating the land up beating the pop up and expect it to be sustainable. humans know better.
if they dont just read a book, history is chock full of all the prior times civilizations wiped themselves out.
however, in prior times there was always somewhere else to go, some other place 2legs could take over control and OWN.
now there aint shit left.
beezus and his peeny-sky-mobile.

humans are too stupid to continue living. history has shown how they come and they go.

space. roflol
Last edited by rainwater on Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

siberia, northern russia, is chock full of massive sink holes with more dropping out all the time.
some are a mile or more across. the land is defrosting...the perma frost of millions of years is melting
and the water is running down hill exposing the dirts and bones and bacterias virus' things that have lived in the
frozen tundra for eons, undisturbed even during prior warming melt times.

this time...the earth is caving in. leaving large holes. sorta like that new show...LaBrea.

new snow on the Rockies...will melt so fast its stunning. one day the southern side is covered in snow and two days later
it looks gone.
HST.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Good News

Census: Once-endangered Kirtland's warbler population stable
Once endangered, the Kirtland's warbler is maintaining healthy numbers in Michigan, Wisconsin and Ontario and expanding its range, officials said Monday.

The songbird's population was estimated at 4,490 following a June survey — the first full count since 2015, when the total was put at 4,730.....

...... With blue-gray back feathers and a yellow underside, the warbler nests primarily in jack pine forests of Michigan's Lower Peninsula. Habitat loss and cowbird invasions sent its numbers as low as 334 in 1987.

State and federal agencies worked with nonprofits to develop a system of harvesting and replanting jack pine stands.

The warbler gradually rebounded and in 2019 was dropped from the endangered list, although continuous habitat restoration is needed to prevent another decline.
Although it does have the makings of an intro to a sci fi or horror flick in that they were almost extinct and brought back from the brink, Guess time will tell if the human race is wiped out by an attack of the warblers.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

they find plastic bits in babies guts.

i know..let us all plant plastic trees.

https://www.wastedive.com/news/beyond-p ... ng/608819/
Plastic's GHG emissions could outpace those from coal by 2030: report
Published Oct. 25, 2021

....the U.S. plastics industry is the source of 232 million tons of greenhouse gases per year, 15 million tons of which comes from burning plastics in municipal waste.
“We are in a climate crisis,” said Judith Enck, founder and president of Beyond Plastics. “If we have any hope of effectively driving down greenhouse gas emissions, the production and use and disposal of plastics has to be on the agenda.”
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 pm For now I'll keep my posts about solar flares in the Earth thread. That might have to change in a year or so when things really get rocking and rolling in the very underrated Solar Cycle 25.
Bingo! First X class flare of Cycle 25 occurred this morning (North American time), and was in a position that caused maximum effect on the Earth. Short wave radio is still severely degraded over the poles. A major magnetic storm will occur when particles from the ejected coronal mass reach this planet a day or two hence.

This event is magnitudes lower than the really notable ones of years past, but due to the position, something interesting may happen somewhere. Otherwise it's mostly an indication that the sun is indeed waking up and meaning business.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

UPDATE: Geomagnetic Storm watch has been upgraded to include the possibility of Strong (G3) level conditions on both October 30th and 31st. Based on the latest tracking model, a solar wind speed of near 800 km/s is forecast. Should a G3 level storm materialize, visual aurora will likely be seen for locations as far south as 50 degrees geomagnetic latitude or beyond (Oregon, Nebraska, Pennsylvania etc). For now we wait.
https://www.solarham.net/

Happy Halloween!
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Tornado left two people injured and several homes damaged after sweeping through Lake Charles, Louisiana

(CNN) Several homes in Lake Charles, Louisiana, were damaged Wednesday after a tornado swept through the area that is still recovering from recent disasters.

The tornado's maximum winds reached 130 miles per hour when it touched down, causing significant structural damage to about a dozen homes and minor damage to others, the National Weather Service in Lake Charles said Wednesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/28/weather/ ... index.html
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Whose my father? That's the question that was perplexing zookeepers at the San Diego Zoo when they discovered two California condors were born without a male condor's help. It turns out the female condors reproduced asexually, that is without having sex. The term for this is parthenogenesis and has been seen in other species.
A scientific team led by the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance announced Thursday that California condors can reproduce without having sex. Researchers made the finding after genetic tests showed that two condors born in captivity didn’t have fathers.

This phenomenon, known as parthenogenesis, has been seen in certain insects, fish and reptiles. There have been a few cases among birds, too. But no one knew until now that female California condors could have offspring without males, a head-scratching finding that raises questions around how often this occurs and whether it matters in the wild.

It’s no accident the discovery was made by the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, which runs the zoo and Safari Park. The non-profit organization has played a key role in helping California condors claw their way back from the brink of extinction.
NORDOT
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Incredible.

Subtropical storm Wanda forms in the Atlantic, using last name on 2021 list

ORLANDO, Fla. – History has been made again in the Atlantic basin. For only the third time since the naming of tropical systems began in the 1950s, all of the names for the season have been used. This is the second consecutive year that all of pre-determined names have been exhausted. 2005 was the first occurrence.

Subtropical storm Wanda developed late Saturday evening in the North Atlantic. As of 11 p.m. Saturday, Wanda had maximum sustained winds of 50 mph and is moving southeast at 21 mph. The storm is currently located approximately 1,020 miles west of the Azores.

https://www.clickorlando.com/weather/20 ... 2021-list/
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

1. Meteorological storm

The W storm has indeed exhausted all the names for only the third time, but this go-round they have backup lists of new names instead of Greek letters. I consider this to be a smart move, since we're probably going to be cycling back to "A" most of the time given the climate situation that we face. We don't want to have a whole bunch of hurricane Alphas to be puzzling through for the right one.

The storm is out at sea and, while a respectable event for this time of year, it poses no danger to land.

2. Geomagnetic storm

Here's the thing with the sun. It does what it wants to do, and also we really don't understand all its processes all that well. For me, that's what makes it fun.

First we were told to brace for a pretty decent geomagnetic shock when the CME front, sort of the particle-physics version of a surface atmospheric storm front, hit the earth with the typical shock wave that starts these off. It didn't happen at first, then when it did happen way late, it was weaker. The initial shock was a weenie bump in the K index followed by a dropoff. Right about when all the usual people made it to their computers and posted same, another boink in K-sub-P got it up to an at least respectable 5. Not the 7 they expected, but respectable.

In the hours before the petit-boink, ham radio DXers in the populated latitudes had a happy day. Everything was being heard everywhere. It reminds people why short wave radio was at one time considered a global communication system. That's because it is one. Shoulda heard all the different languages and general fun and games on the 11 meter "freeband" where unlicensed people with large linears and small brains gather to play on days like yesterday.

Kp is quasi-logarithmic, so a two point boink is a perfectly decent numeric increase and a noteworthy event for this early in Cycle 25. At the same time, it's no Carrington Event. Pipelines will not explode, transformers will not catch fire, and aurora will go only slightly below traditional zones. Apparently there was some real good red and green aurora last night in places that usually get this. Pretty pictures abound. The Internet is good for that, at least.

Today, Halloween, the future is in the hands of chaos math. Boo. Tomorrow, as a good All Saint's Day should be, should see a return to "normal."
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

marindem01 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:08 pm Midnight Oil was the best. The front man eventually became the Environmental MInister.
ya know, i remember that...i thot it was so great of the aussies to acknowledge.
that was cool. and i think many of them listened.
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Spoke too soon on the magnetic storm. A perfectly phased impulse from a much smaller flare has rescued the bigger one from oblivion on the list of recent events. It's still no Carrington Event, but a sudden storm commencement is very, very visible on the B-sub-Z and similar plots, and it could produce a respectable K-sub-P of 6 or 7. A 7 would be enough to warrant looking for very nice aurora indeed tonight, in the usual places.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

ALERT: Geomagnetic K-index of 7
Threshold Reached: 2021 Nov 03 2359 UTC
Synoptic Period: 2100-2400 UTC
Active Warning: Yes
NOAA Scale: G3 - Strong

NOAA:
Power systems: Voltage corrections may be required, false alarms triggered on some protection devices.

Spacecraft operations: Surface charging may occur on satellite components, drag may increase on low-Earth-orbit satellites, and corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems: Intermittent satellite navigation and low-frequency radio navigation problems may occur, HF radio may be intermittent, and aurora has been seen as low as Illinois and Oregon (typically 50° geomagnetic lat.).