EARTH....

News and events of the day
bradman

Re: EARTH....

Post by bradman »

ProfX wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:23 am I've also been to Crazy Horse Memorial.

I've been to many powwows. I've even read many articles about how they're increasingly become pan-tribal, pan-cultural events; which I think is an important development for Native unity.

I don't know who's saying that; it wasn't me. The Buffalo Bill shows were put on by white entrepreneurs to offer a white understanding of Native culture for white audiences willing to pay the admission. Could compare them to minstrel shows.

Native powwows are put on by Native people by themselves, for themselves. Totally different.

Far as I know, that original comment was in response to me making one observation: the way we represent Native Americans throughout the country is often based on stereotypes of what a Plains Indian looked like. Tribes in the SE, the NW, and elsewhere didn't always dress that way.

There's a deeper issue, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_bonnet

Due to their historical importance and status, traditional Native Americans now consider the wearing of headdresses without the express permission of tribal leaders to be an affront to their culture and traditions.[4][5] Consequently, in cases where non-Native political leaders have been symbolically allowed to wear the headdress, this has caused controversy.

[snip]

To explain Native peoples' discomfort with non-Indians wearing headdresses, for example, it is necessary to go back to the indigenous perspective and evaluate what the headdress means specifically to the various tribes, Crow and Lakota to name two, that make and use them. Without such context, it's impossible for non-Indians in contemporary settings to grasp the offense and harm that indigenous people feel when sacred objects and imagery are co-opted, commercialized, and commodified for non-Indians' benefit.

[snip][end]

Every random wasichu rock star and sports fan shouldn't just wear them because they feel like it.
Ya added a bit more. :lol: i had to go back and change my response.

The Plains Indians did wear War Bonnets. :)

i get the misunderstanding now. Misappropriation of Native Culture.

It was one of the things ya couldn't help pick up during the oral traditions of dance. While the others that were with me may not have picked up on it, i did. Dance and dress are very, very, sacred to them. Maybe it sunk in when we later stopped to take in the view of the Black Hills. i told them to tread lightly, were we in someone else's church.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

BTW, if you're interested, this is a nice photo article on different types of Native headgear.

https://www.indiantraders.com/blog/nati ... lture.html

Among the Klamath, Haida, and Salish of the NW, a basket hat was popular.

The Seminole here in Florida used to use the plume of an ostrich feather (not an eagle feather headdress).

http://www.nativetech.org/seminole/turbans/index.php

I think when "Chief Osceola" used to come out on the FL Seminole football field, back in the 70s, he had an eagle feather warbonnet. I notice they've updated that to be more culturally correct, lately.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

bradman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:51 am Maybe it sunk in when we later stopped to take in the view of the Black Hills. i told them to tread lightly, were we in someone else's church.
Yeah. It is very sacred to them. Unfortunately, the U.S. government currently has possession of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hil ... and_claims

The Supreme Court ruled their taking was illegal in 1980 but then offered monetary compensation. However, the Lakota will not take the money/compensation; they have repeatedly said they want the land back, and won't take any price for them.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
bradman

Post by bradman »

ProfX wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:00 am Yeah. It is very sacred to them. Unfortunately, the U.S. government currently has possession of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hil ... and_claims

The Supreme Court ruled their taking was illegal in 1980 but then offered monetary compensation. However, the Lakota will not take the money/compensation; they have repeatedly said they want the land back, and won't take any price for them.
It did start the conversation. They didn't see a "church". :) i explianed that we entered it some miles back. To the best of my ability, tried to explain the religious ceremonies that went on there in the past. i ended with, to this day, they want their Church back. No amount of money says otherwise.

Ya, we've had this conversation before. Rain was there.

i've always been in agreement that some of the more sacred sites should be returned. It's a rich culture and is history that deserves to be remembered. :)
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

cant get the pic. ive boated powell, camped there spent time. this is UFB.
btw, theyre not releasing dam water downstream from powell to CA NV AZ.
...3:30mins. near empty.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2022/04/0 ... ct-planet/
There is no water. See what Lake Powell looks like today.

The Lead
After decades of drought, the water level in Lake Powell has sunk to unimaginable lows, threatening millions of people who rely on the water supply. CNN's Bill Weir has more.
Source: CNN
Last edited by rainwater on Tue May 17, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

bradman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:33 pm Ya, we've had this conversation before. Rain was there.
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean here. You and I have had this conversation before?

Or you mean rain was with you when you were explaining this to other people with you in the Black Hills?
bradman

Post by bradman »

ProfX wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:51 pm I'm afraid I don't know what you mean here. You and I have had this conversation before?

Or you mean rain was with you when you were explaining this to other people with you in the Black Hills?
Would you believe me if i told ya that i had a major breakthrough with my spelling some 4 months ago? i happened to be typing away one day and had one of my life long brain farts. i went for one my half dozen dictionaries that i always had to have open. There wasn't one open. i looked down at what i'd typed so far and it hit me. i had way to much written to not have at least 2-3 open. It made me so happy in decided it maybe worth an effort to work on sentence structure in the hopes i'm better understandable at times. :D

I think it was on the old board. The Covid Sturgis thread if i'm not mistaken. A side conversation popped up about the Black Hills and the Lakota. Me, Rain, i think Ted, and a few other posters made comments. I thought you were one of them. If not, my mistake.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Now I understand. Yes. I did make that same point in that thread.

We are in agreement - you, me, and the Lakota I mean - they have said they will not take the money and only want back their land, it is sacred to them, and it should be returned to them.

I know there's certain stuff in those Black Hills now, like this monument called Mt. Rushmore, but we can negotiate. :D
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

the sioux will never take money for the black hills land.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

gone and forgotten.
one would think city managers, gov officious type, someone, would notice this amazing loss of water.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html
California wastes most of its rainwater, which simply goes down the drain---

Feb 20, 2019
California's wet winter has dumped an estimated 18 trillion gallons of rain in February alone. But much of it is
simply going down the drain. In what has become a source of much concern in a state...
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

this from 2014. its way hotter now.

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/drought/6 ... udy-finds/
Drought
Study: 63 trillion gallons of groundwater lost in drought
by: Sandra Phillips Posted: Aug 21, 2014

SAN DIEGO – The ongoing drought in the western United States has caused so much loss of groundwater that the Earth, on average, has lifted up about 0.16 inches over the last 18 months, according to a new study.

The situation was even worse in the snow-starved mountains of California, where the Earth rose up to 0.6 inches, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Researchers from UC San Diego’s Scripps Institution of Oceanography and the U.S. Geological Survey estimated the groundwater loss from the start of 2013 to be 63 trillion gallons — the equivalent of flooding four inches of water across the United States west of the Rocky Mountains.

The study, published online Thursday by the journal Science, offers a grim accounting of the drought’s toll.

“We found that it’s most severe in California, particularly in the Sierras,” said coauthor Duncan Agnew, professor of geophysics at UC San Diego’s Scripps Institution of Oceanography. “It’s predominantly in the Coast Ranges and the Sierras showing the most uplift, and hence, that’s where we believe is the largest water loss.”
HST.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

The Dangerous Ideas of “Longtermism” and “Existential Risk” - Current Affairs
So, imagine a situation in which you could either lift 1 billion present people out of extreme poverty or benefit 0.00000000001 percent of the 1023 biological humans who Bostrom calculates could exist if we were to colonize our cosmic neighborhood, the Virgo Supercluster. Which option should you pick? For longtermists, the answer is obvious: you should pick the latter. Why? Well, just crunch the numbers: 0.00000000001 percent of 1023 people is 10 billion people, which is ten times greater than 1 billion people. This means that if you want to do the most good, you should focus on these far-future people rather than on helping those in extreme poverty today. As the FHI longtermists Hilary Greaves and Will MacAskill—the latter of whom is said to have cofounded the Effective Altruism movement with Toby Ord—write, “for the purposes of evaluating actions, we can in the first instance often simply ignore all the effects contained in the first 100 (or even 1,000) years, focussing primarily on the further-future effects. Short-run effects act as little more than tie-breakers.”

This brings us back to climate change, which is expected to cause serious harms over precisely this time period: the next few decades and centuries. If what matters most is the very far future—thousands, millions, billions, and trillions of years from now—then climate change isn’t going to be high up on the list of global priorities unless there’s a runaway scenario. Sure, it will cause “untold suffering,” but think about the situation from the point of view of the universe itself. Whatever traumas and miseries, deaths and destruction, happen this century will pale in comparison to the astronomical amounts of “value” that could exist once humanity has colonized the universe, become posthuman, and created upwards of 1058 (Bostrom’s later estimate) conscious beings in computer simulations. Bostrom makes this point in terms of economic growth, which he and other longtermists see as integral to fulfilling “our potential” in the universe:

“In absolute terms, [non-runaway climate change] would be a huge harm. Yet over the course of the twentieth century, world GDP grew by some 3,700%, and per capita world GDP rose by some 860%. It seems safe to say that … whatever negative economic effects global warming will have, they will be completely swamped by other factors that will influence economic growth rates in this century.”

In the same paper, Bostrom declares that even “a non-existential disaster causing the breakdown of global civilization is, from the perspective of humanity as a whole, a potentially recoverable setback,” describing this as “a giant massacre for man, a small misstep for mankind.” That’s of course cold comfort for those in the crosshairs of climate change—the residents of the Maldives who will lose their homeland, the South Asians facing lethal heat waves above the 95-degree F wet-bulb threshold of survivability, and the 18 million people in Bangladesh who may be displaced by 2050. But, once again, when these losses are juxtaposed with the apparent immensity of our longterm “potential,” this suffering will hardly be a footnote to a footnote within humanity’s epic biography.

These aren’t the only incendiary remarks from Bostrom, the Father of Longtermism. In a paper that founded one half of longtermist research program, he characterizes the most devastating disasters throughout human history, such as the two World Wars (including the Holocaust), Black Death, 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, major earthquakes, large volcanic eruptions, and so on, as “mere ripples” when viewed from “the perspective of humankind as a whole.” As he writes:

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

The road to ecofascism is paved with green intentions - High Country News
By the early 20th century, many Germans believed there was something magical, or mystical, about them — and the landscape they inhabited — that infused the nation’s youth with a sense of purpose. “In all German souls the German forest lives and weaves with its depth and breadth, its stillness and strength, its might and dignity, its riches and beauty — it is the same source of German inwardness, of the German soul, of German freedom,” proclaimed a circular for recruitment into the League for the Protection and Consecration of the German Forest in 1923.

In the coming years, this romantic populism bolstered the Nazi Party’s “blood and soil” mantra and became a strong recruitment tool through its “green wing.”

In Ecofascism Revisited, a brief, chilling book first published in 1995 and reissued in 2011, historian Peter Staudenmaier points out that the Nazi Party’s “incorporation of environmentalist themes was a crucial factor in its rise to popularity and state power.” I fear something similar is happening in the United States today, as it grapples with the dual challenges of ethno-nationalism and ecological anxiety.
In an essay published in 1988, Edward Abbey railed against “the mass influx of even more millions of hungry, ignorant, unskilled and culturally-morally-generically impoverished people. … because we still hope for an open, spacious, uncrowded, and beautiful — yes, beautiful! — society. … The alternative, in the squalor, cruelty, and corruption of Latin America, is plain for all to see.” In a letter to The New York Review of Books in 1981, Abbey similarly denounced immigration from Mexico as something that would “degrade and cheapen American life downward to the Hispanic standard. Anyone who has made a recent visit to Mexico, or even to Miami, Florida, knows what I mean.” A beautiful society. You know what I mean. Abbey’s racism cannot be separated from his nationalism, and each informs his environmentalism.
A hard-headed approach is needed. To be part of the solution, check your exceptionalism and adopt a truly anti-racist approach to environmental ethics. Ask who is welcome where, and why. Work to incorporate inclusive ideas of civil and human rights into environmental discussions, and push against racism, environmental or otherwise, whenever possible. Those who blindly follow their romantic inclinations are as vulnerable to fascists as the Weimar youth. Please don’t let that be you.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

Military takes UFOs seriously at congressional hearing: 'We want to know what's out there'

While the first congressional hearing on UFOs in more than 50 years didn’t reveal the existence of extraterrestrial life, it did affirm that the U.S. military is taking sightings of unknown craft seriously as a national security threat.

A House Intelligence Counterterrorism, Counterintelligence, and Counterproliferation Subcommittee hearing convened Tuesday morning with a 90-minute public session that was followed by closed-door testimony later in the day.

https://www.aol.com/news/military-takes ... 50439.html
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ap215 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:38 am Military takes UFOs seriously at congressional hearing: 'We want to know what's out there'

While the first congressional hearing on UFOs in more than 50 years didn’t reveal the existence of extraterrestrial life, it did affirm that the U.S. military is taking sightings of unknown craft seriously as a national security threat.

A House Intelligence Counterterrorism, Counterintelligence, and Counterproliferation Subcommittee hearing convened Tuesday morning with a 90-minute public session that was followed by closed-door testimony later in the day.

https://www.aol.com/news/military-takes ... 50439.html
As a teenager in the 60s, I read many books on UFOs and I'm still interested in them today. While I don't know if they are a natural or man-made phenomenon or of extraterrestrial origin they are intriguing. My problem in believing them to be extraterrestrial is of the billions of pictures and videos taken every year there there are not clear, quality pictures and there is no physical evidence to support the extraterrestrial origin theory.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Can gravity batteries be the solution to providing clean electricity? A company in Scotland is developing a method to utilize gravity to produce electricity. Their model raised a 50-ton iron weight 15 meters and then to release it and as it descends it powers a series of generators to produce electricity. The model produced 250Kw of power enough to power 750 homes.
Gravitricity, an Edinburgh-based green engineering start-up, is working to make this a reality. In April last year, the group successfully trialled its first gravity battery prototype: a 15m (49ft) steel tower suspending a 50 tonne iron weight. Inch-by-inch, electric motors hoisted the massive metal box skyward before gradually releasing it back to earth, powering a series of electric generators with the downward drag.

The demonstrator installation was "small scale", says Jill Macpherson, Gravitricity’s senior test and simulation engineer, but still produced 250kW of instantaneous power, enough to briefly sustain around 750 homes. Equally encouraging was what the team learned about their system’s potential longevity.

"We proved that we can control the system to extend the lifetime of certain mechanical components, like the lifting cable," says Macpherson. "The system is also designed so that individual components can be easily replaced instead of replacing the entire system throughout its lifetime. So there's real scope for having a decades-long operational life."

While the Gravitricity prototype pointed upward, the company's focus is now below ground. Engineers have spent the last year scoping out decommissioned coal mines in Britain, Eastern Europe, South Africa, and Chile. The rationale, explains managing director Charlie Blair, is pretty straightforward: "Why build towers when we can use the geology of the earth to hold up our weights?"
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2022 ... m=must-see
This is an interesting concept in that it doesn't utilize nuclear, water, coal or gas as a fuel source. From reading the article, I gather when the weight is release it will descend slowly producing electricity and when it reaches the bottom it will be raised at night using batteries it charged during the day. A single unit might not be economically feasible but I imagine a company would use 10 -50 of these to provide a community with electricity. Operating costs would be a fraction of the cost of a typical electricity company in that they won't have to deal with fuel price fluctuations, air pollution prevention costs, fuel waste disposal costs, etc.. One of the things the company is looking at is using abandoned mines rather than building on the surface.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

edward abbey wrote: Anyone who has made a recent visit to Mexico, or even to Miami, Florida, knows what I mean.”
Some of us live there. So Abbey wrote that in 1981, eh? Well, Mr. Abbey, stay away if you want, more cafecito, mojitos, churros, and arepas for me, then. :mrgreen: (And bagels, matzoh ball soup, and key lime pie, and ... :D )

I've been to Mexico. It's got some beautiful cities. Some built by Mexicans, some by Mayans. :D

Side note -- MHO: I don't know the answers to the UFO question, but I do think this. There is more than one phenomenon people are observing, again, assuming it's not misidentifications of swamp gas, airplanes, or Venus (or hoaxes). I suspect at least one possibility is the Earthlight phenomenon (apropos for this thread), probably created by piezoelectricity and geologic activity. That doesn't explain all the sightings of structured objects, though.

So, this could go in another thread, but I will put it here.

Buffalo suspect may be latest mass shooter motivated by ‘eco-fascism’
Buffalo suspect allegedly calls himself ‘eco-fascist’ and blames migration for harm to the environment in document posted online
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... co-fascism

The suspected perpetrator of the deadly shooting in Buffalo, New York, on Saturday may have been the latest mass killer to be motivated by a growing fixation of rightwingers – environmental degradation and the impact of overpopulation.

[snip]

The Buffalo suspect calls himself an “eco-fascist” and blames migration for harm to the environment in the document posted online.

“For too long we have allowed the left to co-opt the environmentalist movement to serve their own needs,” the Buffalo manifesto states. “The left has controlled all discussion regarding environmental preservation whilst simultaneously presiding over the continued destruction of the natural environment itself through mass immigration and uncontrolled urbanization, whilst offering no true solution to either issue.”

This invocation of eco-fascism, or green racism, echoes that of a white nationalist who killed 51 people in Christchurch, New Zealand, in 2019.

“The invaders are the ones over-populating the world,” the Christchurch murderer wrote in his own manifesto. “Kill the invaders, kill the overpopulation and by doing so save the environment.”

Just a few months after the New Zealand attack, a gunman killed 23 people in El Paso, Texas, leaving behind a note that also blamed overpopulation for causing pollution. “If we can get rid of enough people, then our way of life can become more sustainable,” he wrote.

Studies have repeatedly shown that migration itself does not cause an increase in carbon emissions or other pollution – indeed, American-born people are far larger consumers of resources than new immigrants – and that voracious consumption, rather than population per se, is the primary driver of the climate and ecological crises that currently grip the world.

However, the latest shooting shows that a dangerously warped vision of environmentalism is now becoming an increasingly common animating force for rightwing extremists, according to Betsy Hartmann, an expert in the environment and migration at Hampshire College.

[snip][end]
bradman

Post by bradman »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:57 pm Hm, you done it?

Most of your posts are barely coherent, and even the readable ones are chock full of brazen, unsourced statements and outright inaccuracies.

Why in the world should anyone here believe you or take your word for anything about the Fancy Dance?

Oh and how come you never address the 5 Slaveholding Tribes and those governments’ sh#tty treatment of members of African descent? :?

#whitendn
Difficult is one thing. Just plain mean is another.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:56 pm Difficult is one thing. Just plain mean is another.
Peddling misanthropic population control and referring to human beings as “2legs” is kindly and civil, tho.

Okay.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:10 am The road to ecofascism is paved with green intentions - High Country News
Its why we shouldn't vote for or encourage neoconservative politicians as their romantic aspirations for imperialism, fascism, and authoritarianism tend to eclipse everything and anything else that matters. Whether environmentalism, green energy, jobs, justice it all becomes self serving and subservient to regressive forces.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

bradman wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:56 pm Difficult is one thing. Just plain mean is another.
thankfully someone noticed the insouciance. kudos. :)
HST.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Cons or MAGA will stand by while other MAGA and cons kill us.

They will stand by while they destroy the environment. They already have.

When someone here predicted Jan 6 and took all kinds of SHIT for saying MAGA and trumpers would kill thousands of us. And we now know the only reason they didnt is they couldnt, but they tried.
I sigh in your general direction.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

i got rained on yesterday.

prolly the first time i can say that in....um...near a decade..?...maybe 5-6yrs...

water is nicely up in the res....boating fishing ducks people water noise, people like me renting kayaks, tons
of birds hawks eagles overhead around the bluffs. water is cold but easily used to.

the mountains to the east have about 20% snow cover remaining. is all.
we will get the run off down flow for some time ahead and then, shortly...the res will cease, filling.

and then...they will want to release downstream for food water for you.
they will sometime soon open the dam for downstream IRR ...CA NV AZ.
we shall all see how this plays out over this hot dry summer.

we've had cloud storms overhead that...should have, would normally have produced rain the last few days.
instead, unless you were up high the rains evap'd before reaching the ground.
to the west we watched the big cloud dumping rain Above the mountain. it was not getting to the ground.

in the Rockies we used to see clouds build from the west rise over the 14teeners and dump their rains as they headed east.
now, sometimes we just see the clouds build. see them move east. see them. thats all. we get to see them before they
move east and flood some other area.

thats what wallst corp greed has done...theyve stripped most of the country, the continent, of its usual weather pattern.
maya2. global style.

nowhere to run nowhere to hide.
...unless you have 44billion to buy a website.
HST.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Philadelphia Weather: Tornado Watch Issued For Parts Of Pennsylvania, Delaware And New Jersey As Gusty Thunderstorms Head Towards Region

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Get ready for some gusty thunderstorms to impact the afternoon drive on Friday followed by record-breaking heat to start the weekend. The Philadelphia area begins to warm up today as a warm front lifts north across the region.

The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for parts of Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania until 7 p.m. Friday.

Mesoscale Convective Vortex

A midlevel, warm-core low pressure center that develops within the stratiform region of a mesoscale convective system (MCS) as a result of latent heat release over a multihour time period. The cyclonic vortex has a diameter ranging from 50 to 200 km (31 to 124 mi) and a depth from 2.5 to 5 km (1.5 to 3.1 mi). An MCV can persist for 12 hours or more after its parent MCS has dissipated. A residual MCV may help initiate a subsequent episode of convection. An MCV that moves into tropical waters can serve as a nucleus for a tropical cyclone.

https://glossary.ametsoc.org/wiki/Mesos ... ive_vortex
bradman

Post by bradman »

rainwater wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:01 pm thankfully someone noticed the insouciance. kudos. :)
insouciance> Had to open up the dictionary for that one. :D