EARTH....

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: EARTH....

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:29 pm KQ(a local rock station that i've been listening to since the 70's) started Memorial day weekend at 9:00 AM Friday with the top 500. 60's, 70's and 80's. Stairway to Heaven was somewhere around 35. At the moment, they're finishing up with the top ten. It reminds me of the siren call..

It brings back a lot of memories of what we were fighting for in our youth.

Makes me wonder if i haven't gotten fat and lazy.

It's where i give credit to MC. He's never given up the fight.
True, true.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 8:29 pm KQ(a local rock station that i've been listening to since the 70's) started Memorial day weekend at 9:00 AM Friday with the top 500. 60's, 70's and 80's. Stairway to Heaven was somewhere around 35. At the moment, they're finishing up with the top ten. It reminds me of the siren call..

It brings back a lot of memories of what we were fighting for in our youth.

Makes me wonder if i haven't gotten fat and lazy.

It's where i give credit to MC. He's never given up the fight.
I have Sirius XM radio and I listen to it in the car and online. I listen mainly to the 60s and 70s and it does bring back a lot of memories. As for whether you, or I, have gotten fat and lazy I'd say we grew up and had other things in life to attend to. IMO, it's a natural evolution from youth to adulthood to being senior citizens.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

A brand new meteor shower could dazzle the night sky Monday

(CNN) Earth is expected to pass through the debris trail of a broken comet on Monday night and early Tuesday morning. It could result in a brand new meteor shower.

Night sky watchers in North America have the best chance of seeing the tau Herculid shower, with NASA recommending around 1 a.m. on the East Coast or 10 p.m. on the West Coast as the best times to look up. The moon is new, so there will be no moonlight to obscure the meteors.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/30/world/ta ... index.html
bradman

Post by bradman »

Number6 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:12 am I have Sirius XM radio and I listen to it in the car and online. I listen mainly to the 60s and 70s and it does bring back a lot of memories. As for whether you, or I, have gotten fat and lazy I'd say we grew up and had other things in life to attend to. IMO, it's a natural evolution from youth to adulthood to being senior citizens.
It was 3 days of reflection, riding, and dodging storms while listening to the music of my youth. Back when we had all the time in the world. No problem seemed to large. i figured we'd have all the worlds problems solved by the turn of the century. It's been one helluva learning curve.

Lately, it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuyaK0hGxWk

Senior citizen. The golden years. i guess i expected an easier learning curve at this point in time.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

History ebbs and flows like the tide, with periodic calms punctuated by storms and then the resolve to be better prepared for the next storm, followed by a return to apathy. The technology evolves but human nature really doesn't, not enough to notice on human time scales anyway.

The Dark Ages weren't dark in the sense that most people seem to believe from the cliched label, but literacy was low so they are in reality the Poorly Documented Ages. Now we seem to have gone the other direction, where everything is written down, digitally stored, or documented some other way. From what I can see, general human behavior is the same old same old.

I didn't expect to see all the world's problems solved, but I did think that once we got people communicating, a lot of the BS would drop off. Never in my wildest speculations did I ever think that we'd have too much communication. We do. That came out of nowhere. I never saw it coming. It's a fact, though. Every thought gets communicated into the great digital storm cloud, every bad idea finds its time within weeks instead of decades, and it's killing us.

How do we get rational skepticism back?
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
bradman

Post by bradman »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:28 am
How do we get reason back?
Like this....... 8-)
History ebbs and flows like the tide, with periodic calms punctuated by storms and then the resolve to be better prepared for the next storm, followed by a return to apathy. The technology evolves but human nature really doesn't, not enough to notice on human time scales anyway.

The Dark Ages weren't dark in the sense that most people seem to believe from the cliched label, but literacy was low so they are in reality the Poorly Documented Ages. Now we seem to have gone the other direction, where everything is written down, digitally stored, or documented some other way. From what I can see, general human behavior is the same old same old.

I didn't expect to see all the world's problems solved, but I did think that once we got people communicating, a lot of the BS would drop off. Never in my wildest speculations did I ever think that we'd have too much communication. We do. That came out of nowhere. I never saw it coming. It's a fact, though. Every thought gets communicated into the great digital storm cloud, every bad idea finds its time within weeks instead of decades, and it's killing us.
i feel ya. i too never saw it coming. It's difficult to except. Especially when i think of my part in its evolution. Now, i'm tired of it and have decided to do my best to keep it calm and real. At this stage of the game, i'd be remiss if i didn't at least try.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
⁠And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
⁠Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
⁠And—which is more—you'll be a Man, my son![16]
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

> If you can keep your head when all about you........

Yeah, smartest poem old racist Kipling ever wrote. It sort of partially redeems some of his white man's burden crap in the English historical one-liner pantheon.

I try to live by that, especially when the American left does its thing and everyone's fighting over who's the purest, and I just tactfully leave the fight and go find another struggle that will help the problem. I am not in the circular firing squad. Politically, I keep my virtual rifle at my side until needed, then I point it out towards the source of the threat.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
bradman

Post by bradman »

Seems unconscious cruelty is a bigger thing than ever.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv33eaygVDQ

More than anything. i'm done with the anger.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

bradman wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:57 am Like this....... 8-)

i feel ya. i too never saw it coming. It's difficult to except. Especially when i think of my part in its evolution. Now, i'm tired of it and have decided to do my best to keep it calm and real. At this stage of the game, i'd be remiss if i try.
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same:
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools;

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
⁠And never breathe a word about your loss:
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
⁠Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
⁠And—which is more—you'll be a Man, my son![16]
wow. i knew i liked you a long time ago.

i quoted that entire kipling poem for sophomore year at boarding school, hamptons.
it always thence forward had, changed my life, kept me, led me to my right track.

many decades later while managing the 600ac ranch in CO the owners
son whom i know from work...came to collect the equipment left by his granddad on the ranch.

john deere sat for DECADES and with some oil started right up....after 40yrs sitting there. alyss chalmers
got some new oil and needed a o-ring they had...both started right up drove onto the lift to load. amazing. 60ys later.

from the huge 2 story concrete block barn theyd built in the 30's they collected, pulled out, the Conestoga
wagon tucked away back there.
not only were the side colors starkly in tack...they pulled out storage stuff that had been tucked in the bottom for decades.
they opened one box..and there...was a gold leaf trimmed decorative frame page of Kilpings poem...."If".
same poem id recited..in front of people as a kid[. :shock: same one i can recite today still.

i was stunned. that kipling poem changed my life. the son gave it to me after i told him id kill him if he didnt. :lol:
to stumble across a gold leaf original copy...from somewhere ..buried in a old wagon in a barn...was stunning for me.
told me, confirmed to me, i was in the right place for me at the right time.
it had been stuffed in that barn over 60years.

it still hangs there on my wall. next to my mustangs and pic of me building, creating, trees for the Fla state museum.

thanks for bringing this up.. :) :) :) :) :)
srsly. thx.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Preliminary 4.1 magnitude earthquake reported in East Bay, USGS says

BAY POINT, Calif. (KGO) -- A preliminary 4.1 magnitude earthquake struck the Bay Area on Thursday, according to the United States Geological Survey.

The earthquake happened at 5:07a.m. in the waters off Wheeler Island in Suisun Bay, according to the National Weather Service.

https://abc7news.com/east-bay-earthquak ... /11918000/
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Welcome to Florida, Joe.

Tropical Storm Alex is here to welcome you to the state.

This probably won't strengthen into a cat 1 hurricane before it hits on Saturday, but technically ... yesterday was the beginning of hurricane season, and it's here to say hello.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:28 pm Welcome to Florida, Joe.

Tropical Storm Alex is here to welcome you to the state.

This probably won't strengthen into a cat 1 hurricane before it hits on Saturday, but technically ... yesterday was the beginning of hurricane season, and it's here to say hello.
No offense to you or the transplanted Tennessean but one thing I'm happy about living in the San Diego area is there is no hurricane season here because there are no hurricanes. I know, we have earthquakes but they strike suddenly and most don't do damage. I owned a house in Niceville (yes, that's a real place) about 60 miles east of Pensacola and during hurricane season I'd pay more attention to the weather than anywhere else. The area had been hit by Hurricane Opal in 1995 so the base made sure everyone on-base had to list where their would evacuate to. Being in the Medical Group, I volunteered to ride it out inside the hospital as an essential personnel when means once it's over we'd start getting the facility ready to reopen when everyone returns. The reason I choose to remain is the evacuation locations were at bases in Alabama and Georgia and it would have been a cluster-f**k getting there, being housed in hangers, and then returning. Also, the hospital was the highest rated building on base capable of withstanding a 135-mph hurricane. Hurricane Opal had 125-mph winds and the size and layout of the building meant some parts of the hospital may sustain damage but most of the interior wouldn't be damaged.

Anyway, here's wish you two Happy Hurricane Season! :P
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I've been through many of them. Not my first rodeo.

Katrina, before it hit New Orleans, grazed Fl as a Cat 1.

Sigh. Wilma. Knocked out my power for ten days, and it was a very late season sneak attack.

But Andrew was one of the worst. Cat 5, and I was staying in my parent's house on vacay when it took a direct hit.

I've gotten used to them. Joe is the newcomer. :D
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:03 pm No offense to you or the transplanted Tennessean but one thing I'm happy about living in the San Diego area is there is no hurricane season here because there are no hurricanes. I know, we have earthquakes but they strike suddenly and most don't do damage. I owned a house in Niceville (yes, that's a real place) about 60 miles east of Pensacola and during hurricane season I'd pay more attention to the weather than anywhere else. The area had been hit by Hurricane Opal in 1995 so the base made sure everyone on-base had to list where their would evacuate to. Being in the Medical Group, I volunteered to ride it out inside the hospital as an essential personnel when means once it's over we'd start getting the facility ready to reopen when everyone returns. The reason I choose to remain is the evacuation locations were at bases in Alabama and Georgia and it would have been a cluster-f**k getting there, being housed in hangers, and then returning. Also, the hospital was the highest rated building on base capable of withstanding a 135-mph hurricane. Hurricane Opal had 125-mph winds and the size and layout of the building meant some parts of the hospital may sustain damage but most of the interior wouldn't be damaged.

Anyway, here's wish you two Happy Hurricane Season! :P
With all due respect, anyone in CA is in direct path of out of control fires. I was just talking to a friend about this today, he is a retired

https://www.fs.usda.gov/science-technol ... e/hotshots

hotshot firefighter. Maybe San Diego is safer than most areas, but there are going to be VERY bad days ahead DIRECTLY due to ignoring climate change, global warming by republicans.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:14 pm With all due respect, anyone in CA is in direct path of out of control fires. I was just talking to a friend about this today, he is a retired

https://www.fs.usda.gov/science-technol ... e/hotshots

hotshot firefighter. Maybe San Diego is safer than most areas, but there are going to be VERY bad days ahead DIRECTLY due to ignoring climate change, global warming by republicans.
San Diego isn't immune to wildfires. Back in 2007, a friend of mine's home was about a mile from one of the state's worst wildfires in the state's history but fortunately that's as far as it got. For me, I don't have to worry about a wild fire because I live across the San Diego Bay on the island of Coronado so if there were a wildfire threatening us a good portion of San Diego, National City, and Chula Vista would be destroyed before the fire got to us.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:34 pm San Diego isn't immune to wildfires. Back in 2007, a friend of mine's home was about a mile from one of the state's worst wildfires in the state's history but fortunately that's as far as it got. For me, I don't have to worry about a wild fire because I live across the San Diego Bay on the island of Coronado so if there were a wildfire threatening us a good portion of San Diego, National City, and Chula Vista would be destroyed before the fire got to us.
I remember being on squirrel island and looking out to that area and wishing I was there, every day. :lol:
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:12 pm I've been through many of them. Not my first rodeo.

Katrina, before it hit New Orleans, grazed Fl as a Cat 1.

Sigh. Wilma. Knocked out my power for ten days, and it was a very late season sneak attack.

But Andrew was one of the worst. Cat 5, and I was staying in my parent's house on vacay when it took a direct hit.

I've gotten used to them. Joe is the newcomer. :D
I was at a closure base when I received orders to Florida. I teased one of my troops because she had orders to Kansas and for her to watch out for tornadoes. She looked it up and found out Florida had more tornadoes than Kansas. I remember listening to the radio and hearing there was a tornado sighted close to where I lived. I was worried about my house being hit but fortunately, the tornado was short-live and did no damage in the area. Knowing there is a hurricane or tornado approaching is worrying I don't need and it's the worrying and anticipation of what might happen is the problem for me.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:38 pm I remember being on squirrel island and looking out to that area and wishing I was there, every day. :lol:
I never heard it called "squirrel island" but fortunately I do live here everyday and I never intend to move away from it.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:44 pm I never heard it called "squirrel island" but fortunately I do live here everyday and I never intend to move away from it.
I meant boot camp...
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

The thing about tornadoes is you don't often get a lot of advance notice. Tornado warnings sometimes go off about 20 minutes or so before it comes through your area. If you're lucky. The problem in FL with tornadoes is, as you might suspect, most homes don't have basements, so we usually give different warnings about where to take refuge. Local news says head for the bathroom... we also get waterspouts. I've seen them. They are a wild thing to watch.

Have I mentioned we're also one of the places with the most lightning strikes in the world? :D My Pop's house was hit by lightning. I saw the damage it did to the corner of its house. That would have freaked me out if I had been there. However, I do remember quite well, when living in Gainesville, how a nearby lightning strike fried my dialup modem ... back in the days when I had such a thing.

With a hurricane, at least you usually have about 3-5 days notice, though of course, and i've watched it happen, course track and intensity will keep shifting. BTW, it's perennial - people will be ordered out of a mandatory evacuation area (my Mom was in one in Hallandale) and then ... they don't leave. Where I live in Miami is pretty inland ... at least I'm not watching out for storm surge.

Interestingly, one of the county's hurricane shelters is right on my campus, so it is where people will get evacuated - if they do so.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:49 pm I meant boot camp...
MSCR, got it!
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:07 pmMSCR, got it!
USN actually...Navy, but next door to the Marines.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Have I mentioned we're also one of the places with the most lightning strikes in the world? :D My Pop's house was hit by lightning. I saw the damage it did to the corner of its house. That would have freaked me out if I had been there. However, I do remember quite well, when living in Gainesville, how a nearby lightning strike fried my dialup modem ... back in the days when I had such a thing.
I might be odd but I love lighting and thunder storms. For some reason I sleep better during them than any other time. In Germany, I lived in a small, two-story house and behind it was a farmer's field growing some type of grain. I'd leave the bedroom curtain open during a lighting and thunder storm and watch and listen to it as I fell asleep.
With a hurricane, at least you usually have about 3-5 days notice, though of course, and i've watched it happen, course track and intensity will keep shifting. BTW, it's perennial - people will be ordered out of a mandatory evacuation area (my Mom was in one in Hallandale) and then ... they don't leave. Where I live in Miami is pretty inland ... at least I'm not watching out for storm surge.
If I didn't have a place to ride it out the moment they say evacuate and I can evacuate I'm gone.
Interestingly, one of the county's hurricane shelters is right on my campus, so it is where people will get evacuated - if they do so.
Have you put up a sign in the shelter that says says "Professor X has dibs this spot" as Dr. Sheldon Cooper would have done?
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:18 pm USN actually...Navy, but next door to the Marines.
The Navy did boot camp in San Diego. That must have been long ago. Most sailors, from different eras, say they went to boot camp at Great Lakes Naval Center. MCRD is still here.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Number6 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:07 pmMSCR, got it!
Edit: MSCR should be MCRD. Typing too fast and not proofreading before posting.