EARTH....

News and events of the day
Libertas

Re: EARTH....

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:23 pm The Navy did boot camp in San Diego. That must have been long ago. Most sailors, from different eras, say they went to boot camp at Great Lakes Naval Center. MCRD is still here.
I remember I had a choice between Great lakes and San Diego, I wanted the good weather.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Number6 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:21 pm Have you put up a sign in the shelter that says says "Professor X has dibs this spot" as Dr. Sheldon Cooper would have done?
Would be cool, but I don't think they have ever ordered an evacuation of where I live. :mrgreen:

Sheldon seems to stick to the DC heroes. I've only ever seen him wear a Flash, Superman, Green Lantern, or Batman shirt logo. :mrgreen:
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Sheldon is wonderful.

So is Jim Parsons, who I had the pleasure of spending time with in an intimate setting thanks to our friend Will. Relatively intimate.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

BTW, in Multiverse of Madness, Patrick Stewart aka Professor X/Charles Xavier repeats one of my favorite character quotes from the earlier X-Men films.

It is, why I keep saying, he's one of my favorites. This is a very liberal ideal.

I hope the character does come back in later films. (Spoiler: his Earth-838 version is toast but it's a big multiverse. :D )

My preference, though, and this comes from watching him in Picard -- I'd still rather see James McAvoy or another actor take over the role. He's just getting so, well, old. In Legion he was played by Harry Lloyd.

The joke one reviewer said, and alas it's true, at this point we've already seen the Patrick Stewart version of ProfX die three times - in X-Men 3 last Stand (which was retconned), in Logan (which granted may be in a future that hasn't happened yet), and now MoM.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
bradman

Post by bradman »

rainwater wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:15 am wow. i knew i liked you a long time ago.

i quoted that entire kipling poem for sophomore year at boarding school, hamptons.
it always thence forward had, changed my life, kept me, led me to my right track.

many decades later while managing the 600ac ranch in CO the owners
son whom i know from work...came to collect the equipment left by his granddad on the ranch.

john deere sat for DECADES and with some oil started right up....after 40yrs sitting there. alyss chalmers
got some new oil and needed a o-ring they had...both started right up drove onto the lift to load. amazing. 60ys later.

from the huge 2 story concrete block barn theyd built in the 30's they collected, pulled out, the Conestoga
wagon tucked away back there.
not only were the side colors starkly in tack...they pulled out storage stuff that had been tucked in the bottom for decades.
they opened one box..and there...was a gold leaf trimmed decorative frame page of Kilpings poem...."If".
same poem id recited..in front of people as a kid[. :shock: same one i can recite today still.

i was stunned. that kipling poem changed my life. the son gave it to me after i told him id kill him if he didnt. :lol:
to stumble across a gold leaf original copy...from somewhere ..buried in a old wagon in a barn...was stunning for me.
told me, confirmed to me, i was in the right place for me at the right time.
it had been stuffed in that barn over 60years.

it still hangs there on my wall. next to my mustangs and pic of me building, creating, trees for the Fla state museum.

thanks for bringing this up.. :) :) :) :) :)
srsly. thx.
The feeling has always been mutual Rain. :D

Poetry was never my bag. Always considered it way over my head. It's only recently i've come to realize that i have been listening to it all my life.

I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I have become comfortably numb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqjEnRU6uM
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

rainwater wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:15 am wow. i knew i liked you a long time ago.

i quoted that entire kipling poem for sophomore year at boarding school, hamptons.
it always thence forward had, changed my life, kept me, led me to my right track.
FBI people send their kids to boarding school in the Hamptons?

Why am I not surprised. :problem:
many decades later while managing the 600ac ranch in CO the owners
son whom i know from work...came to collect the equipment left by his granddad on the ranch.

john deere sat for DECADES and with some oil started right up....after 40yrs sitting there. alyss chalmers
got some new oil and needed a o-ring they had...both started right up drove onto the lift to load. amazing. 60ys later.

from the huge 2 story concrete block barn theyd built in the 30's they collected, pulled out, the Conestoga
wagon tucked away back there.
not only were the side colors starkly in tack...they pulled out storage stuff that had been tucked in the bottom for decades.
they opened one box..and there...was a gold leaf trimmed decorative frame page of Kilpings poem...."If".
same poem id recited..in front of people as a kid[. :shock: same one i can recite today still.

i was stunned. that kipling poem changed my life. the son gave it to me after i told him id kill him if he didnt. :lol:
to stumble across a gold leaf original copy...from somewhere ..buried in a old wagon in a barn...was stunning for me.
told me, confirmed to me, i was in the right place for me at the right time.
it had been stuffed in that barn over 60years.

it still hangs there on my wall. next to my mustangs and pic of me building, creating, trees for the Fla state museum.

thanks for bringing this up.. :) :) :) :) :)
srsly. thx.
Kipling was a colonizer.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

Tropical Storm Warnings Issued in Florida Ahead of Potential 'Alex'

Tropical storm warnings have been issued across the southern half of the Florida Peninsula and the Keys ahead of the likely formation of a Gulf tropical storm that will bring heavy rain and gusty winds to those areas into the weekend.

An area of low pressure located more than 400 miles southwest of Fort Myers, Florida, is producing clusters of showers and thunderstorms right now. Moisture from this system is streaming well to its northeast, resulting in rainfall across South Florida.

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/ne ... ession-one
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Yeah, never fails.

Headed to downtown Miami? (Fortunately, I'm not).

Get your boat & water skis.

:D

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:18 am Yeah, never fails.

Now?

WTF?

https://www.axios.com/2022/06/04/southe ... ding-miami

Hey, ProfX, there aint no global warming. Hell, it not only doesnt exist, we dont even use the term anymore, makes cons uncomfortable.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Looks like it's only going to gain tropical storm strength after leaving out in the Atlantic ... I guess then they can call it "TS Alex" ....

Yeah, it left plenty of flooding behind here, not as bad as downtown or Miami Beach, though.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ProfX wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:18 am Yeah, never fails.

I saw on MSNBC Miami got about nine inches of rain in one day. That's three-quarters of the amount San Diego averages in a year! No doubt, Miami is used to storms and their infrastructure is built for it but nine inches of rain in a day would tax just any city. If San Diego got nine inches of rain in a day the area would be declared a disaster zone with flooding in the downtown area, the airport, and any area within a mile of the coast.

Be safe, be dry, and stay home until the water recedes.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I noticed that the current storm is technically called PTC 1. That stands for Potential Tropical Cyclone Number One. Climate change has not been kind to our system of weather classification.

If it's what I think it is, it was a perfectly good tropical cyclone in Mexico, with a name and everything, that did damage and killed people and all that. It came out into the Gulf and weakened somewhat, but timing suggests that it's the same event unless I missed something.

There still seems to be an urge to dismiss major late spring Gulf and Atlantic tropical events as something else rather than just changing the season start date to May 15 like in the Pacific. The human capacity for denial remains asymptotic at infinity.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

It was Hurricane Agatha, a Cat 2, when it hit southern Mexico from the Pacific, and nothing to sneeze it, as it killed 11 people.

It was just a tropical cyclone or depression when it emerged over the Gulf to the north and went over SoFla. BTW, it has finally reached the strength to become a tropical storm out there in the Atlantic, and due to Pacific vs. Atlantic naming, it will now become "trans" to TS Alex, first named storm of the U.S. season which started June 1st.

AccuWeather saying it could be a problem for Bermuda, next.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

You can see Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn all in the early morning sky this June
The more in the sky, the better.

Less than two months after early risers were able to see four planets in alignment in the morning sky, Mercury will join the party, allowing the U.S. to witness five planets lined up in the sky for the first time in nearly 20 years.

For the rest of the month, everyone in the U.S. will be able to see Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn in the early morning sky......

.....Another fascinating tidbit of the alignment is all the planets will appear in order of the solar system, of course excluding Earth.

This isn't a rare occurrence, as it is the first time it will appear in order in the sky since December 2004, according to Sky & Telescope. It will take another near-20 years for it to happen once more, as it won't appear again in order until 2040.

The reason the planets will all appear at once is because all of the planet's orbits around the sun are near aligned. Mercury orbits the sun ever 88 days, while it takes Saturn 29 years to do so.
last chance til 2040
ap215

Post by ap215 »

3 dead after Arkansas highway crashes during thunderstorms

FRIENDSHIP, Ark. (AP) — Three people were killed after at least a dozen vehicles collided in different spots along heavily traveled Interstate 30 during thunderstorms in southwestern Arkansas, state police said.

The crashes happened Wednesday afternoon in the eastbound lanes of the interstate near Friendship, Arkansas, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Little Rock, the Arkansas Department of Transportation said.

https://www.aol.com/news/multiple-fatal ... 36799.html
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Spain evacuates 2,000 as crews race to counter wildfire

MADRID (AP) — A wildfire in southern Spain forced the evacuation of 2,000 people amid fears that torrid weather on Thursday may feed the blaze. Emergency agencies deployed almost 1,000 firefighters, military personnel and support crews to fight it.

Authorities raced against the clock in the dry, hilly area of Andalucia as Spain’s AEMET weather service said the country could be on the verge of a heat wave. Temperatures were forecast to reach well over 30 degrees Celsius (86 degrees Fahrenheit) and get even hotter over the weekend.

https://apnews.com/article/wildfires-sp ... 15b91b347e
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Tornado With 90 MPH Winds Damages Homes in Camden County, NJ

A tornado briefly touched down in Camden County, New Jersey, Thursday morning, leaving behind uprooted trees and damaging several homes.

The EF1 twister hit the Blackwood neighborhood around 5 a.m., according to the NWS. It had estimated peak winds around 90 mph, the weather service said. There were no reports of injuries.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weather ... d/3265826/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Nearly 14K customers without power after severe storms rip across Central Mississippi

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - More than 13,500 customers are without power Thursday afternoon in the wake of severe storms.

At last check, Entergy Mississippi is reporting 13,557 outages, including 7,787 in Hinds County and 2,564 in Madison County.

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/06/10/power-o ... oss-state/
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Man found dead in Death Valley National Park after running out of gas during heat wave
The body of David Kelleher, 67, was found on Tuesday nearly a week after running out of gas, according to a news release from the National Park Service.

On June 8, a park ranger noticed one vehicle left in Zabriskie Point parking lot. Three days later, the same ranger saw the vehicle during a heat wave that caused temperatures up to 123°F.

The park learned the car was registered to Kelleher, of Huntington Beach, the statement said. A records search found that he was cited on May 30 for off-road driving.

"A crumpled note inside Kelleher’s vehicle said, 'Out of gas,'" the statement said.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Floods in India, Bangladesh leave millions homeless, 18 dead

DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) — Army troops were called in to rescue thousands of people stranded by massive floods that have ravaged northeastern India and Bangladesh, leaving millions of homes underwater and severing transport links, authorities said Saturday.

In India’s Assam state, at least nine people were killed in the floods and 2 million saw their homes submerged, according to the state disaster management agency. Lightning strikes in parts of neighboring Bangladesh have left at least nine dead since Friday.

https://apnews.com/article/climate-floo ... 3d97e47ad3
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Meet Mr. QRA.

Stands for Quasi-Resonant Amplification.

Fancy science name for wavy weather.

Caused by standing waves in the Northern Hemisphere jet stream, which then sit in place and self-amplify.

Ham radio fans will note that the electromagnetic version of the same phenomenon is what makes resonant antennas so effective in directing signal in the desired direction. Resonance and standing waves are common phenomena in the universe and manifest themselves in many different ways.

Oh, and what we see in this summer's jet stream is so far a classic QRA event, on a level with the 2018 one which named the phenomenon in Northern Hemisphere weather. 2018 was not a happy summer.

Completely caused by warming, therefore partially human caused.

More here:

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.aat3272
https://www.psu.edu/news/research/story ... our-grasp/
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I don't usually reply to myself, but the QRA phenomenon does explain the weather seen on my flights across NA, especially the one from NY back to LA. Let's just say that on that one, the pilot earned his money. We are reminded why machines don't fly planes. He was going around, and/or finding narrow tunnels through, some of the waviest weather ever.

It's going to be a big summer for cancellations. (1) the weather. (2) everyone's shorthanded, as usual. (3) everyone wants to fly somewhere because after all the pandemic's over (though no one told the pandemic that).
bradman

Post by bradman »

The jet stream and extreme weather events
QRA events produce extreme summer weather when the jet stream exhibits broad north-south meanders and becomes stationary with the peaks and troughs locked in place.
That explains a lot. We've been locked in a trough for 3-4 weeks now. The jet stream has been dropping down fast somewhere past the N/S Dakota border. It hooks down to just below Mpls/St. Paul and then makes a sudden rise back north again. It's like a little cool pocket that's been stuck here. Lucky i guess. Today is the first day we get to undergo what the rest of the country has been going through. Pretty brutal out there right now.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Somewhere there's a map of the Northern Hemisphere with the standing waves overlaid as red and blue blobs. That illustrates the idea, if not the mechanics of it. (Flying through it illustrates those, and let's just say that the show out the plane window was better than the in-flight entertainment. It turned abstraction into experience in a hurry.)
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Happy Summer Solstice longest day of the year closest we get to the sun