EARTH....

News and events of the day
bradman

Re: EARTH....

Post by bradman »

Crist, what next.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/disaster-lar ... 41985.html
"Megadrought" may be the main weather concern across the West right now amid the constant threat of wildfires and earthquakes. But a new study warns another crisis is looming in California: "Megafloods."
+
In a future scenario, where the flood comes in a hotter earth, “the storm sequence is bigger in almost every respect,” said Daniel Swain, UCLA climate scientist and co-author of the study, in a news release. “There’s more rain overall, more intense rainfall on an hourly basis and stronger wind.”
+
Though beneficial for water supplies, such events can wreak havoc on travel, bring deadly mudslides and cause catastrophic damage to life and property, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said.

Studies show that climate change will make atmospheric rivers warmer, more intense and more frequent.

Friday's study was published in the peer-reviewed journal Science Advances, a publication of the

https://www.yahoo.com/news/heavy-rain-h ... 40099.html
Heavy rain hammers Las Vegas, turning famed strip into a river
Pockets of heavy rain and thunderstorms swept across the Southwest on Thursday night, prompting flash flood warnings in southern Nevada, far southeastern California and Arizona. The gusty storms knocked out power to many Las Vegas residents and flooded numerous roadways, including the famous Las Vegas Strip.

Harry Reid International Airport in Las Vegas recorded 0.58 of an inch of rainfall from thunderstorms in just an hour, nearly double what the site typically observes for August. Surrounding neighborhoods picked up anywhere between 0.25 and 0.75 of an inch of rain from the storms. Thursday was also the wettest day at the airport since March 12, 2020.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/fourth-perso ... 53466.html
Fourth person reported drowned in New Mexico wildfire area floods
TAOS, N.M. (Reuters) - A man drowned on Sunday in northern New Mexico when a flash flood swept through a burn area left by the state’s largest recorded wildfire, according to a local rancher, marking the fourth such death reported in just over two weeks.

A torrent of water carried the man's pickup truck off highway 434 at about 2 p.m. some nine miles northeast of the town of Mora, according to Kenny Zamora, who said the man's vehicle was found on his ranch.

"The water was so strong it pushed him into the arroyo," said Zamora, using the term for an usually dry riverbed that runs during heavy rain.

New Mexico State Police did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The reported incident follows the deaths of three people after flash flooding on July 21 in part of the burn area near the town of Las Vegas, New Mexico.

Zamora said it was the fifth flash flood to hit his ranch.

Intense heat from the so-called Hermit's Peak Calf Canyon wildfire left soil unable to absorb water, turning hillsides into life-threatening debris flows during summer monsoon rains.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

This story, which ran simultaneously in the LA and NY Times, smells like someone had a good publicist. It seems to come from UCLA. Well, I went to UCLA, and I do know that they have a great publicity department. I did a brief internship in something related to publicizing UCLA, and I'm familiar with the process by which this happens.

In this case, it has already been found many times that putting more heat into a closed system will indeed increase the fluctuations in that system. Therefore it really is relatively safe to say that there will be a slightly increased skewing of the odds in favor of very large storms. And, of course, the hotter weather between storms does indeed bake the soil, and the increased wildfire activity does strip away watershed.

Nothing in the UCLA research contradicts these existing findings, and the real content of the story is that they have been reinforced somewhat. But that's dull. It gets jazzed up a bit in the release with a sexy lead like "UCLA weather researcher finds that warming may increase frequency of severe storms."

This is still kind of dull, so the papers call around and jazz it up a bit. Here, we see it transformed into practically proof that God will destroy the world by water again next time. This gets put next to all the other lurid headlines about impending threats, and we go to press.

In today's LA Times, a story that California would soon be swallowed up by a severe storm ran next to several scary headlines about the latest three or four diseases that are most assuredly out of control and may kill us all. I didn't read past any of these headlines. Maybe one of their hundreds of doom prophecies has come true in their years of their making them. Covid really did infect a whole lot of people. They're now batting about .110 for the season.

Far as weather goes, I'm more worried about our landscaping all dying because we've been in a 1200-year drought for years now, and soon we won't be allowed to water at all. I'll worry about the flood when it happens. It won't be the first one in LA.

My solution is not to read the LA Times. It works for me every time on the many impending pestilences that won't happen. It probably works for death by superstorm as well.
Last edited by ZoWie on Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Superstorm or brain dead con who refuses to denounce fascism, one of em likely to kill us all.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The brain dead cons would be inconsequential had we not let them gain control of news media, especially TV and online. Now that they have done so, it becomes a question of fairness and accuracy. I don't see either being addressed.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Judge retains jurisdiction in lawsuit over Enbridge pipeline

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) — A federal judge Thursday kept jurisdiction over a lawsuit seeking to close an oil pipeline crossing a section of the Great Lakes, rejecting Michigan’s effort to shift the case to state court.

U.S. District Judge Janet Neff sided a second time with Enbridge Energy, which contends regulation of its Line 5 is a federal matter and federal courts should handle legal arguments about whether it should continue operating.

https://apnews.com/article/canada-lawsu ... d6238d576e
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Europe storms: Children among dead in France, Austria and Italy

Powerful storms have battered areas of central and southern Europe, killing at least 12 people including three children.

The deaths, most from falling trees, were reported in Italy and Austria, and on the French island of Corsica.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62598573
ap215

Post by ap215 »

North U.S. Could See Aurora

A geomagnetic storm is forecast to bring some spectacular displays of the northern lights to areas where the phenomenon is not always visible. Find out if you can see them in your town, and how to best see the northern lights.

https://weather.com/science/space/video ... -this-week
ap215

Post by ap215 »

MOTORYACHT MY SAGA SINKS OFF ITALIAN COAST

The 129-foot (39-meter) motoryacht My Saga sank nine nautical miles off Calabria, Italy on August 20, several hours after the crew made a distress call and attempts to tow the yacht to shore were unsuccessful.

According to the Italian Coast Guard, it received a call from the megayacht’s crew the evening of August 20. My Saga was en route from Gallipoli to Milazzo, Sicily. The crew indicated she was taking on water at her stern. Two patrol vessels therefore headed out to her location, in the Gulf of Squillace in the Ionian Sea. The Italian wire service ANSA reports that one Coast Guard vessel rescued four passengers and one crewmember, transferring them to the nearby town of Catanzaro Marina. Three additional crewmembers and the captain remained onboard.

https://megayachtnews.com/2022/08/motor ... ian-coast/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Is It Better To Turn Your Air Conditioner Off When You Leave, Or Leave It On?

Researchers from the University of Colorado Boulder finally have a tested, scientific answer to the age-old argument about whether the air conditioner should be turned off or left on when leaving the house.

https://weather.com/safety/video/is-it- ... _instagram
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Pipeline operator agrees to guilty plea in California spill

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — A pipeline operator and two subsidiaries agreed Friday to plead guilty to negligently discharging oil off the Southern California coast in connection with a pipeline break that covered beaches with blobs of crude.

The U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles said in a statement that Houston-based Amplify Energy and two subsidiaries agreed to plead guilty to a misdemeanor and pay a $7 million fine and nearly $6 million in expenses incurred by government entities, including the U.S. Coast Guard. The companies would also install a new leak detection system for pipeline and train employees to identify and respond to potential leaks, the statement said.

https://apnews.com/article/california-s ... a5867f2831
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

This has been going on in Pakistan for the past few days. :(

NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt
@NBCNightlyNews

More than 1000 people killed in catastrophic floods in Pakistan.

@KellyCobiella reports that 119 people were killed overnight Saturday, pushing the death toll to more than 1,000.

[LINK: More than 1000 people killed in catastrophic floods in Pakistan - NBC Nightly News]

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/stat ... 5241082881

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

‘Get out now’: Mayor urges residents to flee ahead of rising river waters in Mississippi - CNN
A day after warning residents of Jackson, Mississippi, to “get out now,” the mayor of the state’s biggest city is urging them to not take evacuation warnings lightly as record-setting rain threatens to flood streets and creep into homes within the next two days.

“We want them to get out and be prayerful that the worst does not come,” Mayor Chokwe Antar Lumumba told CNN’s Pamela Brown on Sunday evening. “We don’t want to risk the potential that it could happen and they be present within their homes.”

Authorities earlier predicted Mississippi’s Pearl River to reach 36 feet and crest by Tuesday due to the rain, but the river is now expected to crest late Sunday through Monday evening before slowly lowering.

Lumumba told CNN earlier that Sunday people should leave the city “as soon as possible,” saying he was worried about a repeat of the damaging February 2020 flooding.

“Unfortunately because we have seen these events as recently as 2020, we have a reference point, and we know the damage that can occur,” he said.

“If we risk the life of one individual, that’s one individual too many,” Lumumba said. “Our residents have been inundated with persistent rain over the last few days.”

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

The consequence of "wavy weather" in this hemisphere is that the same stuff keeps happening in the same places. Floods in some places, droughts in some places, and the occasional hurricane. All indications are that we are going into the third year of an anomalous pattern that never lasted over a year before.

It's kind of unsettling to look at the satellite photos and keep seeing the atmosphere snapping back into the same weird configuration that was an anomalous event as recently as 10 years ago.

FWIW, the sunspot cycle has unexpectedly gone on steroids, with frequent solar flares and a lot more energy being pumped into the atmosphere. This in the past has led to some history. For example, it's why the WWII D-Day was June 6. It was about the only pause in a truly remarkable series of storms.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ap215 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:07 am Is It Better To Turn Your Air Conditioner Off When You Leave, Or Leave It On?

Researchers from the University of Colorado Boulder finally have a tested, scientific answer to the age-old argument about whether the air conditioner should be turned off or left on when leaving the house.

https://weather.com/safety/video/is-it- ... _instagram
For me, my answer is simple. I don't own an air conditioner or HVAC system. I just open windows and let the ocean breeze in to cool off the house. I do have oscillating fans in each room I use when I'm in them, mainly during the August/September heat but other than that I don't need AC.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Earthquake rattles homes across Morris County

A 2.3 magnitude earthquake struck Morris County Tuesday afternoon, shaking homes and producing a loud noise, as described by multiple residents on social media.

An interactive map on the US Geological Survey's website states the quake occurred at 5:14 p.m. with an epicenter near Circle Drive in Rockaway.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 465153007/
Number6

Post by Number6 »

WMO forecasts first 'triple-dip' La Nina of the century
The La Nina weather pattern will last until at least the end of the year, becoming the first time this century it will have spanned three consecutive northern winters, the World Meteorological Organization predicted on Wednesday.

La Nina conditions in the tropical Pacific strengthened as trade winds intensified in mid-July to mid-August, affecting temperatures and precipitation patterns and exacerbating drought and flooding in different parts of the world.

The WMO's El Nino/La Nina Update foresaw the current La Nina - which started in September 2020 - continuing over the next six months, with a 70% chance in September-November 2022 and decreasing to 55% in December-February 2022-2023.

He said the worsening drought in the Horn of Africa and southern South America bore the hallmarks of La Nina, as did above-average rainfall in southeast Asia and Australasia.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... li=BBnb7Kz
Number6

Post by Number6 »

California under an extreme heat advisory.

So far, the summer in San Diego has been mild (not too hot) but that's now changed. Most of the Southwest is under an extreme heat advisory that will last for the next five plus days. Temperatures are expected to reach 100 - 115 degrees which will stress the electric grid initiating Flex Alerts as well as possible brown- and black-outs.
Much of Southern California remains under an excessive heat warning, with the state's grid operator warning that record temperatures could lead to blackouts.

The state is facing a prolonged late-summer heat wave, with temperatures expected to reach as high as 115 degrees Fahrenheit in some parts, the National Weather Service (NWS) said.

An excessive heat warning is in effect from 11 a.m. on Wednesday until 8 p.m. Monday across a vast swath of Southern California, including Los Angeles County.

In Los Angeles County, temperatures could reach 112 degrees in Woodland Hills on Wednesday, while Burbank is forecast to see temperatures surge as high as 106 degrees.

Downtown Los Angeles could see a high of 93 degrees on Thursday, 94 degrees on Saturday and up to 100 degrees on Sunday.
https://www.newsweek.com/california-hea ... ts-1738463
ap215

Post by ap215 »

UN weather agency predicts rare ‘triple-dip’ La Nina in 2022

GENEVA (AP) — The U.N. weather agency is predicting that the phenomenon known as La Nina is poised to last through the end of this year, a mysterious “triple dip” — the first this century — caused by three straight years of its effect on climate patterns like drought and flooding worldwide.

The World Meteorological Organization on Wednesday said La Nina conditions, which involve a large-scale cooling of ocean surface temperatures, have strengthened in the eastern and central equatorial Pacific with an increase in trade winds in recent weeks.

https://apnews.com/article/un-weather-l ... position_8
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I mentioned the La Nina a few days back. Yes, all signs point to a third year of a phenomenon that has never, ever lasted longer than a year before in times when global weather stats were being kept. This means more dry weather and fires in the west. We can't take another year of this without serious damage, but apparently it's what they're predicting at the moment.

It would appear that the promised self-reconfiguration of the Pacific Ocean has begun.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Tropical Storm Earl emerges as Atlantic basin heats up

After an extremely quiet August in the Atlantic Ocean, there are now two named tropical systems churning in the basin. On Friday night, Tropical Storm Earl spun to life east of the northern Leeward Islands. While the center of Earl may avoid crossing over land, outer portions of the system may impact several islands in the Caribbean and bring stormy conditions through early next week.

As of 5 a.m. AST, Tropical Storm Earl was located 115 miles (190 km) east-northeast of the northern Leeward Islands. The storm was moving to the west-northwest at a speed of 13 mph (21 km/h) and had maximum sustained wind speeds of 40 mph (64 km/h). Tropical-storm-force winds extended 175 miles (280 km) from Earl, mainly to the north and east of its center.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurrican ... up/1241321
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2022/ ... e-diseases

I know this story is already here, thank you Republicans and conservatives for going out of your way to deny global warming and climate change and making this worse than it had to be.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The real problem with diseases is world travel. Local outbreaks become global ones before the international system can react. One guy gets off a plane, and within a month they're tracking the virus du jour nationwide. This year it's polio and monkeypox.

We'll never go back to isolationism, not with all this globalized supply chain stuff, so the solution is still unknown. A good start would be to beef up public health nationwide.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Thousands evacuated in SW China as quake toll rises to 66

BEIJING, Sept 6 (Reuters) - Chinese firefighters worked in treacherous terrain on Tuesday to help evacuate more than 11,000 people after a magnitude-6.8 quake struck China's mountainous southwestern province of Sichuan a day earlier, killing at least 66 people.

State media footage, taken at the epicentre in Luding county, showed firefighters stretchering an injured person across a makeshift bridge built with tree trunks as muddy torrents raged below them.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/res ... 022-09-06/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Tornado Warning Now Cancelled For Fairfield County: UPDATE

UPDATE: The National Weather Service has just cancelled the tornado warning for central sections of Fairfield County.

"At 353 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located over Redding, or 8 miles south of Danbury, moving east at 5 mph.

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/res ... 022-09-06/
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Early this morning, I took a walk along the beach from the Coronado Amphib Base to the fence at NAS North Island, a distance of about 3 mile round trip. While walking behind the Hotel del Coronado, there was the carcass of sea mammal, either a baby whale or a porpoise, with its' bones exposed. It reminds me there are creatures living in the ocean and that it's their domain, not our.

Also while walking, I spotted a total of 14 porpoises swimming in pairs of seven. Most of them were about 150 yards or more from the shore and one pair that was about 75 yards from the shore just beyond where the waves break. I've seen porpoises in pairs before but never that many so close to the shore. Sometimes, it's good just to watch these animals living naturally in their environment.