The LGBTQ Rights Thread.

News and events of the day
ProfX

Re: The LGBTQ Rights Thread.

Post by ProfX »

As I said the last time this topic came up, if you're going to invoke "science" ...

a) on average, human bio males have higher upper body strength and certain other advantages over females. Bearing in mind, of course, like many other human qualities, this falls over a spectrum or continuum. There are female bodybuilders who could probably out-benchpress every cis male here.
b) I do believe athletic talent is a mix of biological capacity, which is uneven for humans, even within sexes (like height or musculature), along with dedication and perseverance, practice and training, skill, and in team sports, the ability to cooperate and coordinate with others ... not all of this is biology. Don't ask me what the percentages are that contribute; I have no idea. But yes, as I just noted, there are trans men who CAN beat cis men.

(I'm reminded of the scene in GATTACA where Vincent beats "Eugene" who is his biological/genetic superior sibling in a swim contest. Why? As that film says, "there is no gene for the human spirit". I don't think my point here is anti-science, but rather, anti-reductionist.)

c) I'm OK with setting some kind of standards on hormone levels in professional or Olympic sports. I guess. These things have been around for years. What I cannot understand is why there is this mania to have this at all levels of sporting, even junior/middle school varsity sports.

I know in our culture sporting fits into its single-minded focus on competition. Once again, though, sporting (particularly the team events) can also teach cooperation, something more people in this society ALSO need to learn, and therefore I want all people being able to participate, whether trans or not.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

Glennfs wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:06 am In the case of competitive sports the LBGT athlete has an unfair advantage.
In men's basketball, a seven-foot player has an unfair advantage. Should they be banned from the game? Short guys are simply excluded from the game.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:44 pm In men's basketball, a seven-foot player has an unfair advantage. Should they be banned from the game? Short guys are simply excluded from the game.
Predatory conservatism: when you don't have any actual policies, invoke a moral panic.

These conservatives do this in every decade, every generation, century after century after century. LGBTQs are the easiest targets, and most especially our trans siblings and children.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

Ramstein AB's Chief Command Sergeant is the first openly gay man to serve in that position. The Command Chief Sergeant serves as an enlisted advisor (Top NCO), at the base and Major Command levels, representing the enlisted personnel to the commanders.
Chief Master Sgt. Jeremiah Grisham walks through base housing every evening with his husband and his dog.

But 15 years ago, Grisham never imagined he’d be where he is today: the top enlisted leader for the 521st Air Mobility Operations Wing at Ramstein. As far as he knows, he’s the only openly gay command chief in the Air Force.

Until 2011, when the repeal of the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy took effect, openly gay and lesbian people were barred from serving in the U.S. armed forces.

Grisham, 42, came out to his military friends in explosive ordnance disposal and to his supervisors when he was a senior airman about 20 years ago.

His sexual orientation “became a little bit of a joke” among the rough-and-tumble EOD crowd, but nobody “really cared,” Grisham said. The tight-knit EOD community was “willing to close ranks and protect,” he added.

“I never felt in danger of being outed to somebody who could impact my career,” Grisham said.

Nor did being gay hinder his advancement opportunities in his 20-plus years in the Air Force. Gay and lesbian service members have largely found acceptance in the military, he said.
https://www.stripes.com/branches/air_fo ... 33019.html
This is good news showing being gay doesn't prevent anyone from promotion to the highest levels in the AF. What Grisham said about his coming out 20 years ago and those he worked with did not "really cared" mirrors what I observed with gays serving in the AF. During my first enlistment, in the late 70s, I lived in the dorms and we had one medical tech who was openly gay and no one cared. His supervisors, co-workers, and commanders knew he was gay but as long as he performed his duties and met standards it wasn't a problem. During my four years there, I never saw or heard of any one having a problem with him because he was gay and we had guys in the dorms who were homophobic but they like this guy. Grisham's story of his coming out verifies my opinion that the vast majority of the military don't care if you're straight or gay but whether you can do the job.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:44 pm In men's basketball, a seven-foot player has an unfair advantage. Should they be banned from the game? Short guys are simply excluded from the game.
I’ve seen a number of 7 footers who have no advantage. The sport functions quite normally with the big men. That 7 footer can’t stop the deadly three shooter. There is no unfair advantage here.

The biological advantage a skilled male athlete has over a skilled female athlete in undeniable.

The FINA organization that handles international swimming is going to do what I suggested earlier. Create a new competition category.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

ProfX wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:29 am As I said the last time this topic came up, if you're going to invoke "science" ...

a) on average, human bio males have higher upper body strength and certain other advantages over females. Bearing in mind, of course, like many other human qualities, this falls over a spectrum or continuum. There are female bodybuilders who could probably out-benchpress every cis male here.
b) I do believe athletic talent is a mix of biological capacity, which is uneven for humans, even within sexes (like height or musculature), along with dedication and perseverance, practice and training, skill, and in team sports, the ability to cooperate and coordinate with others ... not all of this is biology. Don't ask me what the percentages are that contribute; I have no idea. But yes, as I just noted, there are trans men who CAN beat cis men.

(I'm reminded of the scene in GATTACA where Vincent beats "Eugene" who is his biological/genetic superior sibling in a swim contest. Why? As that film says, "there is no gene for the human spirit". I don't think my point here is anti-science, but rather, anti-reductionist.)

c) I'm OK with setting some kind of standards on hormone levels in professional or Olympic sports. I guess. These things have been around for years. What I cannot understand is why there is this mania to have this at all levels of sporting, even junior/middle school varsity sports.

I know in our culture sporting fits into its single-minded focus on competition. Once again, though, sporting (particularly the team events) can also teach cooperation, something more people in this society ALSO need to learn, and therefore I want all people being able to participate, whether trans or not.
The science is beginning to have doubts about hormone levels being a sufficient measure. The biological male has greater lung capacity, larger heart, and denser muscles even after hormone therapy.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

That question, while interesting ... all I will note is I notice a lot of men (and some TERFs) claiming to speak for all female athletes are calling for or supporting bans ... but ...

Many women's athletic organizations favor and support the inclusion of trans athletes on women's teams. This is one of many.

https://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/ ... sition.pdf

Women's athletic and sporting associations should be making decisions on trans athlete inclusion. Many of them are in favor of it, it is their decision ultimately, "and that works for me". If a woman's team wants to allow trans athletes on it, or a female sporting association, I don't see why the state government needs to step in and interfere.

Also it seems to me an equal protection clause comes into question, when these states forbid trans women from participation in female athletics, but say nothing about trans men playing in male sports.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:48 pm I’ve seen a number of 7 footers who have no advantage. The sport functions quite normally with the big men. That 7 footer can’t stop the deadly three shooter. There is no unfair advantage here.

The biological advantage a skilled male athlete has over a skilled female athlete in undeniable.

The FINA organization that handles international swimming is going to do what I suggested earlier. Create a new competition category.
Perhaps we should do away with all distinctions. No more mens or womens sports. Just sports. Seems to be where things are headed.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:41 pm Perhaps we should do away with all distinctions. No more mens or womens sports. Just sports. Seems to be where things are headed.
The right has been against women's sports from the beginning, anyway. That'd be perfect for you guys, just like saying that you "don't see skin color" is just an excuse to discriminate against black people while you pretend you don't.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Coed sports are a thing.

Mixed doubles tennis, for example.

Of course, that usually involves "balancing", i.e. a male and female on each team/side of the court.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:10 pm That question, while interesting ... all I will note is I notice a lot of men (and some TERFs) claiming to speak for all female athletes are calling for or supporting bans ... but ...

Many women's athletic organizations favor and support the inclusion of trans athletes on women's teams. This is one of many.

Women's athletic and sporting associations should be making decisions on trans athlete inclusion. Many of them are in favor of it, it is their decision ultimately, "and that works for me". If a woman's team wants to allow trans athletes on it, or a female sporting association, I don't see why the state government needs to step in and interfere.

Also it seems to me an equal protection clause comes into question, when these states forbid trans women from participation in female athletics, but say nothing about trans men playing in male sports.
In a situation where competing parties agree to allow participation I think that’s fine. It happens on occasion with the school I’m associated with. And usually the participants are not college level recruits. They don’t create an imbalance on the field. In one case they were a detriment, but a body that was needed to play the match.

State tournaments are a different situation. College recruit level athletes are different. As I said before add a trans category for tournaments.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Why are cons so afraid of Trans? Why do they want them to be 2nd class citizens?
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Title IX is fifty years old this year. Interesting that it's the year the conservatives are looking for ways to end it, isn't it?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:37 pm As I said before add a trans category for tournaments.
No.

You dirty bigots are not getting segregation back in any form, nor are you going to make your personal discomforts and bigotries into law, again.

Move to Russia or Saudi Arabia if you don’t like it.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:42 pm Title IX is fifty years old this year. Interesting that it's the year the conservatives are looking for ways to end it, isn't it?
Yes, under the guise of protecting girls and women.

They only protect rapists, human traffickers, and other abusers of humanity.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:13 pm No.

You dirty bigots are not getting segregation back in any form, nor are you going to make your personal discomforts and bigotries into law, again.

Move to Russia or Saudi Arabia if you don’t like it.
Hard to deal with the reality this con and the others here will do nothing, say nothing if MAGA is allowed to kill us.

I will fight as you will, no matter what.

Whether they can get power to do harm isnt the point right now, it is THESE BOARD CONS are going to say nothing if they do.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:10 pm That question, while interesting ... all I will note is I notice a lot of men (and some TERFs) claiming to speak for all female athletes are calling for or supporting bans ... but ...

It doesn’t work for me because the state doesn’t have an interest in allowing discrimination on the basis of gender.

These attacks on transgender people and trans women in particular are a way of maintaining both sex- and gender-based discrimination.
Yes the issue is related to supremacists not being able to take losing to people they consider beneath them.

Like none of these people GAS about trans men in sports, they never gave AS about trans women until it meant losing to a trans woman. It’s always some excuse with supremacists. Until Jack Johnson and Jesse Owens, the Third Reich and the rest of the conservative whites were certain they were physically superior in addition to intellectually superior. Then, the gloves came off, I guess literally, when it was shown that their real problem is that they can’t compete.

#cantcompete

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:41 pm Perhaps we should do away with all distinctions. No more mens or womens sports. Just sports. Seems to be where things are headed.
Learn something about LGBTQ politics and transgender history PRIOR TO trying to comment.

Otherwise, you look ignorant and undereducated as ever.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:30 pm Learn something about LGBTQ politics and transgender history PRIOR TO trying to comment.

Otherwise, you look ignorant and undereducated as ever.
Like Trump niece said, "cruelty is the point" or something like that. These cons here love that MAGA and trump may get the power to kill you and me.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

This is a big deal because the UK is anti-Trans central, even worse than USA Republican states.

Dr Natacha Kennedy 🏳️‍⚧️
@natachakennedy

Absolutely amazed by #TransPride London. Thousands and thousands and thousands of people. Huge numbers, way, way bigger than last year.

https://twitter.com/natachakennedy/stat ... 4897444864

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:48 pm This is a big deal because the UK is anti-Trans central, even worse than USA Republican states.

Dr Natacha Kennedy 🏳️‍⚧️
@natachakennedy

Absolutely amazed by #TransPride London. Thousands and thousands and thousands of people. Huge numbers, way, way bigger than last year.

https://twitter.com/natachakennedy/stat ... 4897444864
Did not know they were that bad. But this is what is needed, for sure.

I am always amazed or fascinated (to be polite) to see any human being judge another, ever, over being Trans, Gay, not white, not xtian, etc. Why do they do that, why do they spend any of their energy or time being BOTHERED by the way someone else lives? Unless you are my neighbor and you shoot M-80;s off every fucking night, I dont know why anything would bother me.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

U.S. House passes bill protecting marriage equality - Reuters
The U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday passed a bill protecting gay marriage rights, after the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade imperiled similar precedents that protected rights to same-sex relations and contraception.

The bill, which passed the Democratic-controlled chamber by a vote of 267-157 with support from 47 Republicans, establishes federal protections for gay marriage and prohibits anyone from denying the validity of a marriage based on the race or sex of the couple.
This article fails to mention it, but it also includes interracial marriage.

Because this is the abysmal social level conservative whites have dragged this country down to. :problem:
It will now go to the Senate for a vote, where it faces unclear odds in the evenly divided chamber. House Republicans were told to vote with their conscience by party leadership, who did not whip against the bill.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler sponsored the bill after the federal right to an abortion was overturned when the Supreme Court struck down its landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling.

WASHINGTON, July 19 (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday passed a bill protecting gay marriage rights, after the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade imperiled similar precedents that protected rights to same-sex relations and contraception.

The bill, which passed the Democratic-controlled chamber by a vote of 267-157 with support from 47 Republicans, establishes federal protections for gay marriage and prohibits anyone from denying the validity of a marriage based on the race or sex of the couple.

Advertisement · Scroll to continue
It will now go to the Senate for a vote, where it faces unclear odds in the evenly divided chamber. House Republicans were told to vote with their conscience by party leadership, who did not whip against the bill.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler sponsored the bill after the federal right to an abortion was overturned when the Supreme Court struck down its landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling.

Advertisement · Scroll to continue
In a concurring opinion, Justice Clarence Thomas said the court should also reconsider its past rulings that guaranteed access to contraception and the 2015 right to gay marriage, because they relied on the same legal arguments as Roe.

Some congressional Republicans have echoed Thomas' arguments. Republican Senator Ted Cruz said on Saturday that the high court was "clearly wrong" in establishing a federal right to gay marriage.
By the way, I could really GAS if "47 Republicans" voted for it.

157 Republicans voted against it.

F. them, and that entire party full of WSs and WNs.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Texas kids read prohibited books at 'Banned Camp' - NBC News
A summer library program in Austin is shining a spotlight on books that have been banned or challenged in the state, most of which deal with LGBTQ and race issues.

A large independent bookstore in Texas and the Austin Public Library have teamed up to provide a unique summer opportunity for the capital city’s youths this summer: “Banned Camp.”

Amid an unprecedented effort by conservatives across the state to prohibit books dealing with sexuality, gender identity and race, the camp’s organizers planned over a dozen in-person and remote events throughout the summer to shine a spotlight on these banned and challenged titles.

“Our local community members reached out to us to see what we could do, what voice that we had in preventing this from happening in our local schools?” Charley Rejsek, CEO of the store, BookPeople, told NBC News.

One of the first events in the series, held June 16 at one of the city’s public libraries, was a conversation with George M. Johnson, author of “All Boys Aren’t Blue.” This award-winning memoir consists of a series of coming-of-age essays from the LGBTQ activist. It was also No. 3 on the American Library Association’s Top 10 Most Challenged Books of 2021.
Good!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

This was an opinion piece in the Miami Herald.

It’s not Gov. DeSantis’ business how we raise our children in Miami. Mind your own, sir | Opinion
https://www.yahoo.com/news/not-gov-desa ... 00633.html

Once again, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is using our children — and persecuting a business operation — to push his homophobic, fascist agenda.

This time, it’s not a corporate giant like Disney World he’s seeking to censor for standing with the LGBTQ+ community, but an eight-year-old Miami restaurant — the R House in Wynwood, which enjoys 5-star reviews on Google.

In line with the autocrat he is, DeSantis has unleashed the Department of Business and Professional Regulation on the owners of the restaurant-bar over its popular, rambunctious Sunday brunch drag show.

[snip]

He won’t call out Nazis making themselves at home in his Florida. But, he’ll see to it that the R House’s showgirls end up jobless.

But wait…whatever happened to DeSantis’ ballyhooed “parental rights” — used to package, sell and impose his conservative views that gender-identity discussions don’t belong in elementary school, his conservative dogma disguised as civic lessons, and to whitewash Black history lessons in public education?

Looks like his parents-know-best philosophy ends at this Miami show.

But to be a balanced despot-for-all, perhaps next he should move to regulate Republican house parties and Republican-owned restaurants in Miami that feature dance music, are attended by children, and where I’ve seen a lot of public genital grinding, courtesy of heterosexuals.

Sexual acts, by the way, aren’t a feature of the Wynwood drag show, I’m told by people who’ve visited. Raunchy shimming by design, yes. Sexuality in the eyes of the beholder — and only if you live in a bubble and don’t take kids to a Florida beach, where lots of butts hang from diminutive bikinis all day long.

The controversy reminds me of a show I did find disgusting — and the Republicans in my company didn’t even notice: An elementary-age girl, the daughter of country-music loving heterosexuals, performing at a Jacksonville restaurant on karaoke night, singing about holding a cigarette (mimicking it) and a shotgun and waiting for her cheatin’ man to come home.

Conservatives in the audience applauded and encouraged the child acting like a scorned woman.

Maybe DeSantis should condemn that kind of sexing up of children, too?

[snip]

Serving Latin American food since it started in 2014 as part art gallery, part restaurant, R House has existed without eliciting this kind of outrage before. But right-wingers spotted on Tik Tok a video of a Texas drag show where children were filmed giving money to performers, and DeSantis’ people went hunting for the same in the most obvious place, Miami.

Wynwood, an eclectic neighborhood, is a world away from Texas. A restaurant with a drag show is a fit. No, no one is stripping naked in front of children, as DeSantis charges.

[snip]

When a slim margin of voters elected him in 2018, it wasn’t to turn his opinions on our lifestyles into law — or to mandate what kind of restaurant we, in Miami, decide to patronize with our families.

As the kids like to say when someone oversteps, he’s not the boss of us.

[snip][end]

Hooters also has a children's menu. Yes, I have been there. Some consider the waitress' attire inappropriate for young kids. I wouldn't, but yeah some feel that way. Thing is, again, nobody forces anybody to bring their kids there, some do, and that is, as they say, their parental rights.

I know a local Middle Eastern place that has a belly dancer on weekends. Some might consider that inappropriate for kids, too. I wouldn't, but again ... I have seen children there ... how about we leave this up to the parents? Many bring their kids. And that is THEIR decision ... not the governors.

This, on the other hand, it's perfectly fine in upside down land. Little girl "beauty pageants". JonBenet Ramsay was participating in them at age six? Inappropriate? Sexualizing? Some think so. BTW, I'm not saying these should be banned, either. But ...
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:48 pm I’ve seen a number of 7 footers who have no advantage. The sport functions quite normally with the big men. That 7 footer can’t stop the deadly three shooter. There is no unfair advantage here.

Height is CERTAINLY an advantage in basketball. The average height of a human male is 5 foot 6 inches. The average height of an NBA basketball player is 6 foot 6 inches.

And height and weight are certainly an advantage in certain positions in football. To pretend otherwise is just to be pretending for ideological reasons.