Introduce Yourself: Old and New

Introduce yourself, or talk about what's happening in your life
marindem01

Re: Introduce Yourself: Old and New

Post by marindem01 »

HI, I'm marindem. Politically active Democrat. Delegate to Marin Democratic Party and California Democratic Party. Love Jazz, Big Band, Folk, Rock and R&B. Professional Cat Herder.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Libertas wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:57 pm I now have "profound" hearing loss in my right ear, where I hear metal scraping, and about half hearing loss in my left.

But I cant blame only music on that, painkillers with Tylenol in them was part of it.
Hey Lib have you seen that movie "The Sound of Metal? It was about a musician that lost his hearing. I thought it was pretty good
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Motor City wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:21 pm Hey Lib have you seen that movie "The Sound of Metal? It was about a musician that lost his hearing. I thought it was pretty good
Not only seen it, starting to live it. In my right ear I have profound hearing loss and am starting to hear the metal to metal sound described in the movie.

I actually had to stop watching it because I was getting depressed and didnt want to see how it ended. I am seeing an EAR guy in January, MD, and I hear because of Dems we might be getting free hearing aids soon. But losing my hearing is possible eventually.
I sigh in your general direction.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Libertas wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:46 pm Not only seen it, starting to live it. In my right ear I have profound hearing loss and am starting to hear the metal to metal sound described in the movie.

I actually had to stop watching it because I was getting depressed and didnt want to see how it ended. I am seeing an EAR guy in January, MD, and I hear because of Dems we might be getting free hearing aids soon. But losing my hearing is possible eventually.
Sorry to hear that, I hope things work out for you. The guy in the movie had a pride thing to work out in himself the final scene I think tells which way that turned out.
Cygnus X-1

Post by Cygnus X-1 »

Formerly OracleUsr here. I changed my name about a month ago since I have long since stopped using Oracle as a DBMS, and I reignited my passion for Rush last year, so I thought it'd be nice to use a new nickname since I have a new email.

As for my hobbies, I am into model railroading, photography. I am a professional IT person for one of the largest employers in my town. As for music, well, I'll let my username do the talking.
We shall call you Cygnus
The God of Balance You Shall Be
From "Hemispheres" by Rush
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Libertas wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:11 pm https://youtu.be/QaaoByojpUk

Me drummer...and singer which is why it is so hard to keep the beat half the time, playing and singing at the same time is very hard.

DRAK , as you can see this is VERY RAW, if I can post mine, you can post yours! :D
Here's a video for you. How America's Oldest Drum Factory Stayed In Business For Over 160 Years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXzal4fWliI
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

intertesting
sam lefthand

Re: My name is Drak

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:42 pm I come from a family of bowlers. Just about everyone of us bowled in leagues. My mother and father taught us how to bowl when we were kids. Out of six kids in our family, I’m the only one who still bowls. I had my choice of different locations to retire to but one of the considerations was it had to be where there are bowling alleys. If I hadn’t chosen the San Diego area it would have been Las Vegas where they have quite a few bowling alleys.

For me, bowling is both competitive and social. Just because I’m getting older doesn’t mean I don’t like to compete and bowling is a sport that allows me to compete with others. Bowling is harder than it looks because it’s both mental and physical. Socially, I come in contact and interact with people of all ages, races, different jobs, etc.. I’ve bowled with/known people who are CPAs, retired military officers, golf course managers, doctors, nurses, pilots, etc.. It’s probably the only sport where people of all walks of life participate in.
:)

You might find this interesting, Process of Making Bowling Balls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rK8X2QkeN0
Number6

Re: My name is Drak

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:11 am :)

You might find this interesting, Process of Making Bowling Balls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rK8X2QkeN0
That's an interesting video of how them make bowling balls in South Korea. I've seen a similar but shorter video on the How It's Made TV program. I understood most of the process from creation of the core to the filler material to the coverstock as well as the finishing process for each.

In the How It's Made program, they made it much simpler showing how the add a rod to the core, position it in a holder, and then pore the filler into the holder. They do the same for the coverstock. The amount of curing time for the filler and coverstock is about 40 seconds. The rod is cut off and the ball is given a sanding and finish.

One thing I noticed in the Korean video was how they fitted the ball to the bowler's hand. A bit different from how they do that in the U.S. but the measurements drawn on the bowling ball are similar to how we do it.

Thanks for the video.
When you vote left, you vote right.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Libertas wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:11 pm https://youtu.be/QaaoByojpUk

Me drummer...and singer which is why it is so hard to keep the beat half the time, playing and singing at the same time is very hard.

DRAK , as you can see this is VERY RAW, if I can post mine, you can post yours! :D
well, why didnt you smile and wave at the camera?....you were right in front of it....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

good song. 8-)
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

rainwater wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:16 pm well, why didnt you smile and wave at the camera?....you were right in front of it....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

good song. 8-)
I am lucky I can play and sing at the same time, not well of course.

Thanks, it is a good song, we dont do it justice but I love that song.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Yay, I'm in.

Professor Charles Xavier here, ready to mutate and evolve the human race to its next level. :D

Looks like the board forums have shrunk; no worries, a lot of subforms weren't really being used much anyway.

Plunderer, sorry stuff borked as you were trying to upgrade stuff. As always, I blame the software developers. :mrgreen: For not making the upgrade process simpler and easier.

We are playing in your playground, as always in your debt. Thanks for doing what you could to keep this going.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

ProfX wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:26 am Yay, I'm in.

Professor Charles Xavier here, ready to mutate and evolve the human race to its next level. :D

Looks like the board forums have shrunk; no worries, a lot of subforms weren't really being used much anyway.

Plunderer, sorry stuff borked as you were trying to upgrade stuff. As always, I blame the software developers. :mrgreen: For not making the upgrade process simpler and easier.

We are playing in your playground, as always in your debt. Thanks for doing what you could to keep this going.
Hey Professor, glad to see back.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I dont recall giving you permission to go on this long of a vacation. Next time, check with me, eh!
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Welcome back Prof X
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Hey where you been??

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

For a while, I had trouble logging in to the new board.

Seems like though I didn't realize it I mis-identified the Captcha check. Or it's because I was using my old username?

Dunno. I'm back in.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

WB Professor!
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Welcome home Professor.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 am For a while, I had trouble logging in to the new board.

Seems like though I didn't realize it I mis-identified the Captcha check. Or it's because I was using my old username?

Dunno. I'm back in.
Oh THAT is why :lol:

Sorry, here I was doing my usual worrying WAY too much, reading WAY too much into something someone said or just that they arent talking...glad you are OK..
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 am For a while, I had trouble logging in to the new board.

Dunno. I'm back in.
It wasn't the name. That's all gone. It was likely the Captcha.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

dont know what to say. older angrier more disgusted with humans and their planned obsolescence.

at least...theyve come up with immediate birth control for planning what and how you do it. fukU anti abortionists.
women dont get preg by themselves tho they bear the entire social weight of it.
now women at least have some immediate control.

so, anyhow. ive not been on computer a lot lately since im so...disgusted with human stupidity.

i mean...i could type something horridly stupid Here and someone would repeat it on the innernets.

holy shit.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Sounds more like you're disgusted with how a communications system originally designed to get the whole world talking is now taken over by people who only want to communicate BS, or to profit from those who wish to communicate same. That's a lesson in human nature, all right, but mostly for me it says that we have work to do catching up with the tools. That's the human condition since the first protohominid hit something with a bone.

The human condition and the human spirit are two profoundly different things.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:44 am Sounds more like you're disgusted with how a communications system originally designed to get the whole world talking is now taken over by people who only want to communicate BS, or to profit from those who wish to communicate same. That's a lesson in human nature, all right, but mostly for me it says that we have work to do catching up with the tools. That's the human condition since the first protohominid hit something with a bone.

The human condition and the human spirit are two profoundly different things.
how does one affect the other.
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The spirit is what allows us to transcend the tools. We can reflect on what we're doing and how it affects the rest of the world. We usually don't, but that doesn't mean we can't.