Introduce Yourself: Old and New

Introduce yourself, or talk about what's happening in your life
Drak

Introduce Yourself: Old and New

Post by Drak »

Hello. I've been a member of the boards since 2009. I joined the original Ed Schultz board back when I thought he was cool, since my wife and I used to listen to him in the car on the way to and from visiting relatives in Oregon.

I'm currently attempting to develop my own business, doing recording and mastering work. Although due to covid, it's been slow at this time. I'm also not finished putting my studio together. It took me months to build my own sound panels and bass traps, but it's all coming together. I just have a few more things to work out.

My hobbies are pretty centric around writing and recording music. Maybe some day I'll post some of my stuff on here, but I'm a little wary about sharing my art.

That is all :)
Last edited by Drak on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Number6

Re: My name is Drak

Post by Number6 »

Hi, I'm Number 6 and I'm a RFLolic since 2011 when the old Ed Schultz board suddenly went away and I found RFL. I'm a retired AF Senior Master Sergeant (E-8) who served 28 years in Medical Materiel. Note, Materiel is correct and it's not Material; there is a difference.

As I said, I'm retired and living in Coronado, one of the best parts of San Diego County and the state of California located across the bay from San Diego. I've been fully retired since 2003. I'm active in my local Democratic Club. I'm currently the president of our 10-unit HOA and have been for the past 17 years. Our HOA is having our annual HOA meeting next month and I've already given them notice I will not be running for the board.

My main past time activities are bowling, reading, bicycling, and walking around our fair little city. I'm in two bowling leagues at two different bowling centers and I'll be going to Las Vegas in January and May for bowling tournaments. While in the AF, I didn't have much time for pleasure reading so now I read between 40 and 60 books a year from our library. I haven't been biking much this year but I plan on restarting next spring. Usually, I set a goal of X-number of miles in the summer but next year I think I'll establish a goal of 2,000 miles beginning in March and ending on Halloween. I love to walk our city since it's walking friendly. In less than a half-hour I can walk from the Bay to the beach or in just over 90 minutes walk around the perimeter of the city which is about 7 miles.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Libertas

Re: Introduce Yourself: Old and New

Post by Libertas »

https://youtu.be/QaaoByojpUk

Me drummer...and singer which is why it is so hard to keep the beat half the time, playing and singing at the same time is very hard.

DRAK , as you can see this is VERY RAW, if I can post mine, you can post yours! :D
I sigh in your general direction.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Watch this video, it will explain everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5kq12xf1Uk

:D

It's where I am.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

bicoastal leftie, makes art, fell to earth from somewhere above the line.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

I'm carmenjonze. I've been on many of the boards since 2004, including Randi Rhodes, Ed Schlutz, Air America, and Nicole. I love classic movies and music.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

Libertas wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:11 pm https://youtu.be/QaaoByojpUk

Me drummer...and singer which is why it is so hard to keep the beat half the time, playing and singing at the same time is very hard.

DRAK , as you can see this is VERY RAW, if I can post mine, you can post yours! :D
That's awesome man! I was the singer/drummer too, in our band. Three childhood friends that started playing in the early 90s up until we all had families. I think we stopped playing in about 2008-2009. Then I started getting into recording.

Singing and playing the drums, that ain't easy. But then, I don't think singing and playing guitar is easy either.

Drak

Post by Drak »

Number6 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:44 pm Hi, I'm Number 6 and I'm a RFLolic since 2011 when the old Ed Schultz board suddenly went away and I found RFL. I'm a retired AF Senior Master Sergeant (E-8) who served 28 years in Medical Materiel. Note, Materiel is correct and it's not Material; there is a difference.

As I said, I'm retired and living in Coronado, one of the best parts of San Diego County and the state of California located across the bay from San Diego. I've been fully retired since 2003. I'm active in my local Democratic Club. I'm currently the president of our 10-unit HOA and have been for the past 17 years. Our HOA is having our annual HOA meeting next month and I've already given them notice I will not be running for the board.

My main past time activities are bowling, reading, bicycling, and walking around our fair little city. I'm in two bowling leagues at two different bowling centers and I'll be going to Las Vegas in January and May for bowling tournaments. While in the AF, I didn't have much time for pleasure reading so now I read between 40 and 60 books a year from our library. I haven't been biking much this year but I plan on restarting next spring. Usually, I set a goal of X-number of miles in the summer but next year I think I'll establish a goal of 2,000 miles beginning in March and ending on Halloween. I love to walk our city since it's walking friendly. In less than a half-hour I can walk from the Bay to the beach or in just over 90 minutes walk around the perimeter of the city which is about 7 miles.

Bowling is super fun. They got rid of our local alley though, years ago. We have some lanes out in a different township but it's a pain to get to. I totally be into bowling if there was a place nearby.

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:26 pm That's awesome man! I was the singer/drummer too, in our band. Three childhood friends that started playing in the early 90s up until we all had families. I think we stopped playing in about 2008-2009. Then I started getting into recording.

Singing and playing the drums, that ain't easy. But then, I don't think singing and playing guitar is easy either.
That is the first thing I said to my guitar player when I tried doing it for the first time in many years. He is really good at doing both, and his voice isnt so good but his ambidextrousness is.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Libertas wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:48 pm That is the first thing I said to my guitar player when I tried doing it for the first time in many years. He is really good at doing both, and his voice isnt so good but his ambidextrousness is.
The main problem I had with singing and playing is being able to hear myself properly. It's also not the best practice to be sitting while singing, but some people can get away with it. But not being able to hear myself even with monitors was a huge problem for me.

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:50 pm The main problem I had with singing and playing is being able to hear myself properly. It's also not the best practice to be sitting while singing, but some people can get away with it. But not being able to hear myself even with monitors was a huge problem for me.
I now have "profound" hearing loss in my right ear, where I hear metal scraping, and about half hearing loss in my left.

But I cant blame only music on that, painkillers with Tylenol in them was part of it.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Libertas wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:57 pm I now have "profound" hearing loss in my right ear, where I hear metal scraping, and about half hearing loss in my left.

But I cant blame only music on that, painkillers with Tylenol in them was part of it.
I have some hearing loss in my right ear too. That's where I played the ride cymbal and my main crash.

Number6

Post by Number6 »

Drak wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:42 pm Bowling is super fun. They got rid of our local alley though, years ago. We have some lanes out in a different township but it's a pain to get to. I totally be into bowling if there was a place nearby.
I come from a family of bowlers. Just about everyone of us bowled in leagues. My mother and father taught us how to bowl when we were kids. Out of six kids in our family, I’m the only one who still bowls. I had my choice of different locations to retire to but one of the considerations was it had to be where there are bowling alleys. If I hadn’t chosen the San Diego area it would have been Las Vegas where they have quite a few bowling alleys.

For me, bowling is both competitive and social. Just because I’m getting older doesn’t mean I don’t like to compete and bowling is a sport that allows me to compete with others. Bowling is harder than it looks because it’s both mental and physical. Socially, I come in contact and interact with people of all ages, races, different jobs, etc.. I’ve bowled with/known people who are CPAs, retired military officers, golf course managers, doctors, nurses, pilots, etc.. It’s probably the only sport where people of all walks of life participate in.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:42 pm I come from a family of bowlers. Just about everyone of us bowled in leagues. My mother and father taught us how to bowl when we were kids. Out of six kids in our family, I’m the only one who still bowls. I had my choice of different locations to retire to but one of the considerations was it had to be where there are bowling alleys. If I hadn’t chosen the San Diego area it would have been Las Vegas where they have quite a few bowling alleys.

For me, bowling is both competitive and social. Just because I’m getting older doesn’t mean I don’t like to compete and bowling is a sport that allows me to compete with others. Bowling is harder than it looks because it’s both mental and physical. Socially, I come in contact and interact with people of all ages, races, different jobs, etc.. I’ve bowled with/known people who are CPAs, retired military officers, golf course managers, doctors, nurses, pilots, etc.. It’s probably the only sport where people of all walks of life participate in.
Family friend the dad is good bowler, the 18 yr old son is going pro. Dont remember his name.

My cousins in South San Francisco were bowlers in the 60's and 70's. Cousin Gordy was almost a pro, bowled a few perfect games. Forgot name of the alley
bird

Post by bird »

Welp, the Bird has landed again.

I have been on a few boards over time: AAP, UNN, New Blue Planet, That Other Board, DemocraticHub, DU, Hypercrites, Madaboutpolitics, DBS, Coffee Party (when it had a board).

Hey, I bowl as well! Have a 299 and a 300. The 300 was the last game of a terrible series. I went 142 in the first game, opened the second game with 5 straight opens for 42 in the 5th and then through 19 strikes in a row for 192, 300 for a 634 series. My highest series so far is 761 where i had a 212 in the first game (opened in the 9th frame) followed by 279, 270.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

It's good to see you here Bird.

:)
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:14 pm Family friend the dad is good bowler, the 18 yr old son is going pro. Dont remember his name.

My cousins in South San Francisco were bowlers in the 60's and 70's. Cousin Gordy was almost a pro, bowled a few perfect games. Forgot name of the alley
I've bowled with a couple of people who could go pro. One is an enlisted man in the Navy who has bowled in some pro tournaments and done well. He totes six bowling balls to the alleys and I jokingly asked him how many bowling balls does he have. He said he had a couple of un-drilled balls at home which the bowling ball companies give him for free. Another bowler is a senior in college and he's good enough to go pro. I think he needs to get some additional pro-coaching to improve his game but he has the talent.

There's one young girl, about 13 years old, who I've seen practicing at our lanes, who has great form and skill. She won the USBC National title for kids. I know one guy who helped coach her when she started bowling, her father has been coaching her, and she has another coach helping her get better. Since COVID-19 hit, I haven't seen her bowling because the bowling alley has been closed but if she continues she can get a college bowling scholarship and I have no doubt she'll go pro after college.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm I've bowled with a couple of people who could go pro. One is an enlisted man in the Navy who has bowled in some pro tournaments and done well. He totes six bowling balls to the alleys and I jokingly asked him how many bowling balls does he have. He said he had a couple of un-drilled balls at home which the bowling ball companies give him for free. Another bowler is a senior in college and he's good enough to go pro. I think he needs to get some additional pro-coaching to improve his game but he has the talent.

There's one young girl, about 13 years old, who I've seen practicing at our lanes, who has great form and skill. She won the USBC National title for kids. I know one guy who helped coach her when she started bowling, her father has been coaching her, and she has another coach helping her get better. Since COVID-19 hit, I haven't seen her bowling because the bowling alley has been closed but if she continues she can get a college bowling scholarship and I have no doubt she'll go pro after college.
Then this MUST be, BETTER be one of your favorite movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YedqV4G ... Movieclips

how do we do youtube here>
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Libertas wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:45 pm how do we do youtube here>
Until GoUnion learns how to code the hard to code thingy, just continue to do YouTubes the way you're doing them now.

:)

There's an issue which i would think greatly complicates it. The board is hosted by BraveNet, and as I understand it BraveNet is not up to date with secure socket IP packets. So in order to code the thingy a work around for that has to be incorporated into the custom YouTube tags, which are what I've been calling a thingy.

:|

I don't think I could do it.
Ted

Post by Ted »

I'm Ted.

Formerly ted.

My original account got created with a lower case "t" and I thought it was kind of interesting so I left it that way until now. New board new name.

Sitting in a treestand right now watching deer and reading the forums.

By the way...I was born in 1974. Anybody here younger than me?
gounion

Post by gounion »

Ted wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:59 pm I'm Ted.

Formerly ted.

My original account got created with a lower case "t" and I thought it was kind of interesting so I left it that way until now. New board new name.

Sitting in a treestand right now watching deer and reading the forums.

By the way...I was born in 1974. Anybody here younger than me?
Ha! Most of us! Many of us are in our early sixties.

Might as well throw in myself. I'm gounion, and I'm 62 and a retired union official.

Been around the boards since Air America Place. Was active on the Ed Schultz Board, and now here.

For my political views, I'm a Trade Unionist first. A Democrat second.
Ted

Post by Ted »

gounion wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:08 pm Ha! Most of us! Many of us are in our early sixties.

Might as well throw in myself. I'm gounion, and I'm 62 and a retired union official.

Been around the boards since Air America Place. Was active on the Ed Schultz Board, and now here.

For my political views, I'm a Trade Unionist first. A Democrat second.
I enjoyed Ed Schultz and remember listening to him when his show was local. The quality of the callers to his show improved greatly when he went national.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:45 pm Then this MUST be, BETTER be one of your favorite movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YedqV4G ... Movieclips

how do we do youtube here>
I’ve seen portions of the movie but not the whole thing. Someday, when I’m bored, I’ll watch it. There are a couple of movies concerning sports I like like Field of Dreams, The Natural, etc… One movie, if you consider wrestling a sport, is [All the Marbles[/i] starring Peter Falk. He’s the manager of a female tag-team wrestlers trying to get a break into the big events. The end of the film is actually one of the best endings of any sports movie.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:19 pm I’ve seen portions of the movie but not the whole thing. Someday, when I’m bored, I’ll watch it. There are a couple of movies concerning sports I like like Field of Dreams, The Natural, etc… One movie, if you consider wrestling a sport, is [All the Marbles[/i] starring Peter Falk. He’s the manager of a female tag-team wrestlers trying to get a break into the big events. The end of the film is actually one of the best endings of any sports movie.
The Big Lebowski is one of my top 5 of all time.
gounion

Post by gounion »

We’ll have to upload and configure some extensions first. I don’t know how soon that will happen. When it does, I’ll make an announcement.