Board Games

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
Drak

Board Games

Post by Drak »

Or board games in general. I love board games, or the idea of them, anyway. I’ve collected a few over the years, but finding time to play them is a chore. And some have collected dust and haven’t even been played for various reasons, mostly time related to learning new rules. Some of these games can be quite complicated to learn. But that’s what play through and tutorial videos are for.

We picked up Dune Imperium and started to play over the last two nights. It’s a deck building game with resource management and light combat. The rules are pretty straightforward and turns are pretty fast. It’s a euro style victory point affair along a track. Of course, the theme is awesome although the mechanics could apply to any theme. They chose Dune. I can see our family playing it quite a bit.

I also have the Dune Board game by Gale Force on order. It’s a re print remake from a 1979 classic that was ahead of its time. I’ve been reading the rules and there’s a lot there. Lots of complexity. It’s also best served with 6 players, which could be a problem; and it’s also a very long game, an all day affair. I’m pretty pumped about giving it a go, although I don’t think 6 players will work out very often.
Last edited by Drak on Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Drak

Re: Dune Board Games

Post by Drak »

I won the first game of Dune Imperium. I think I’m banned for spazzing beforehand though, during one of the earlier rounds. Heheh. Also ended up stretching it out over 2 days, which isn’t recommended or necessary. The games are not long. We just had bad timing with other things going on. Fun game. It’ll take a few games to figure out some strategies and the cards.

Drak

Re: Dune Board Games

Post by Drak »

We cracked open the Dune board game from Gale Force 9 over the weekend. This is a reprint from a classic that came out in 1979. It’s not overly complicated but there are a lot the rules and it can be finicky. But we had a blast. This is one of those games that would take several plays to get a head on various strategies and no one game will ever play the same. It’s also best with 5-6 players, especially with alliances. We only played with three so we didn’t get the full experience of how it was meant to be played, and three is not really recommended but it was ok for learning.

I played the Harkonnen and spent too much time trying to haul in spice instead of engaging in battles to win key locations for victory. I also blew all my initial spice bidding for bad cards in the first few rounds.

Can’t wait to play again with more people.

Another game I’m interested in is Twilight Imperium. But that is apparently a mother of a game and an all day event which requires dedicated players.

gounion

Re: Board Games

Post by gounion »

I could never get into the big war game board games that took a lot of time and were crazy complicated. Also never got into D&D, even when all my friends went nuts over it.

But as kids, we played all kinds of them, from Monopoly to Candyland (when we were very young), Chutes and Ladders, Battleship, Chinese Checkers, Sorry, Mille Bornes and, of course, my favorite, chess.
Drak

Re: Board Games

Post by Drak »

gounion wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:13 pm I could never get into the big war game board games that took a lot of time and were crazy complicated. Also never got into D&D, even when all my friends went nuts over it.

But as kids, we played all kinds of them, from Monopoly to Candyland (when we were very young), Chutes and Ladders, Battleship, Chinese Checkers, Sorry, Mille Bornes and, of course, my favorite, chess.
Definitely a time sink. I just picked up Twilight Imperium and the rules are crazy. A lot of people only play games like that a few times a year since it can end up being an all day event. When I played DnD it was mostly socializing with friends, typically in the fall and winter months. Lots of snacks and beer.