Is this the high-water mark of our freedoms? Must-see.

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Is this the high-water mark of our freedoms? Must-see.

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs's and JoeMemphis's posts are useful because they show the pervasiveness of white-supremacist ideology among run-of-the-mill conservative whites.

The trajectory starts with attacking trans people, who already do not have a lot of support, even on the left. Next is samesex rights, which aren't even 20 years old. Next is abortion and bedroom rights even of heterosexuals, like their floated attacks on Griswold and the current flex on Roe. After that comes the daddy of them all Brown v Board of ed.

Conservative whites have been making the same attacks on all the civil rights laws since the 1940s when they first came to be argued at the state and SCOTUS level.

Keep in mind that in turn, the attacks on LGBTQ rights and abortion rights have roots in Southern Strategy white conservatism and their wedge-issue politics.

It's the air these guys have been breathing their entire lives, and it shows.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Crazy but true: the Disinformation Board, as I noted earlier, will not even make any decisions on whether social media posts are true or false, disinformation or not. It is no ministry of truth.

It only comes into play if other government agencies identify some (often foreign) cyber-attack as being an organized disinformation effort (this does not therefore mean they're going after your tweets on twitter to decide if they are true or false), and helps coordinate responses to that effort.

That's it. Are you a Russian bot-net spreading hoaxes, COVID-19 Disinformation, intending to create disruption or panic? Then you might need to worry. Otherwise: no. It ain't coming for your posts here or on any other social media.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:22 am Yes a read 1984 a very long time ago and the ministry of truth fits perfectly with 1984.
You vote for the party of alternative facts.

The Party of Lincoln now waves the Confederate flag.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

gounion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:25 am Because that’s not what it is. It’s just a panel that refutes the outright lies of Donald Trump.
Actually, they really care far more about Russian, Chinese, Iranian, etc. coordinated cyber-attacks then they do that Trump lies on "Truth Social" or anywhere else.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Drak

Post by Drak »

Todays cons would have loved it if the Soviet Union set up propaganda networks all over America.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Here's what's really ironic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministrie ... ighty-Four

The Ministry of Truth (Newspeak: Minitrue) is the ministry of propaganda. As with the other ministries in the novel, the name Ministry of Truth is a misnomer because in reality it serves the opposite: it is responsible for any necessary falsification of historical events. However, like the other ministries, the name is also apt because it decides what "truth" is in Oceania.

As well as administering "truth", the ministry spreads a new language amongst the populace called Newspeak, in which, for example, "truth" is understood to mean statements like 2 + 2 = 5 when the situation warrants. In keeping with the concept of doublethink, the ministry is thus aptly named in that it creates/manufactures "truth" in the Newspeak sense of the word. The book describes the doctoring of historical records to show a government-approved version of events.

[snip][end]

Hmmm, there are some people around this country doing this stuff in bold. Folks like Guv. DeStupid. People making the Orwellian claim that taking away academic freedom for teachers, and rights to live a safe and open life for LGBTQ kids and parents, calling that "freedom".
gounion

Post by gounion »

Glenn is fighting for the right for Putin to campaign for Donald Trump.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:35 am Glenn is fighting for the right for Putin to campaign for Donald Trump.
Glennfs is unable to discuss the thread topic, which is what Pete Buttigieg said in his talk.

He is the type of person to fall for the Orwell-speak in "Civil Rights Bills" like Ward Connerly's in the 1990s, which were actually anti-Affirmative Action bills.

That type of person is also the type who thinks that banning "shariah law" when none exists means "freedom".

In Glennfs's case, same type of person is currently falling for anti-CRT and Don't Say Gay laws also modeled on banning "shariah law," and disguised as "parental rights." These laws actively discriminate against nontraditional parents and are condemned by every single LGBTQ rights organization in the nation, which is WHY conservatives like Glennfs support them to begin with.

Lol this guy has actively been voting for the most antigay, misogynist politicians in the modern era for decades, all while prancing around here as a supporter of gay rights. :problem:

Their whole world is based on the alternative fact that whites are superior über Alles. All of their laws public policies have reflected this distorted view of reality, and they want that back.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

"Freedom" to conservative whites has always meant the "freedom" to suppress YOU, utilizing the power of government as a bludgeon.

2022 is no different, which is why these people around here like Glennfs support anti-LGBTQ legislation, criminalizing abortion and miscarriages, banning curricula around race and gender that doesn't even exist, and commiebaiting.

These people have a very long, violent history of doing this for over 150 years.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:25 am Because that’s not what it is. It’s just a panel that refutes the outright lies of Donald Trump.
Somehow I think that is factually incorrect. It would probably be illegal for the administration to use government funds and resources for political purposes. Refuting Trump is political. Might be worthy but it’s political nonetheless. Refuting Russian or Chinese propaganda is a different story.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:58 am Somehow I think that is factually incorrect. It would probably be illegal for the administration to use government funds and resources for political purposes. Refuting Trump is political. Might be worthy but it’s political nonetheless. Refuting Russian or Chinese propaganda is a different story.
The thread is about the Pete Buttigieg video where he talks about the encroachment of conservative laws on LGBTQ people and what that means about losses of fredom for everyone.

Please watch it first, then comment.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:58 am Somehow I think that is factually incorrect. It would probably be illegal for the administration to use government funds and resources for political purposes. Refuting Trump is political. Might be worthy but it’s political nonetheless. Refuting Russian or Chinese propaganda is a different story.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As usual, you have no clue as to the facts of what you are talking about.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:12 am :lol: :lol: :lol:

As usual, you have no clue as to the facts of what you are talking about.
I know that it’s illegal to use US government agencies to target a political opponent. That’s part of what the Durham probe is about. If the rest of your party is as ignorant of the law as you, then such a probe is probably warranted.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Lol the Durham probe.

Uranium One, Benghazi!
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:26 am I know that it’s illegal to use US government agencies to target a political opponent. That’s part of what the Durham probe is about. If the rest of your party is as ignorant of the law as you, then such a probe is probably warranted.
Please, educate yourself on what's REALLY going on, rather than making yourself look more and more idiotic.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:53 am Please, educate yourself on what's REALLY going on, rather than making yourself look more and more idiotic.
The Professor posted a pretty decent summary. Maybe you should read it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:12 pm The Professor posted a pretty decent summary. Maybe you should read it.
I know about it. I've read the primary sources. But you run on ignorance, and you're proud of that.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:12 pm The Professor posted a pretty decent summary. Maybe you should read it.
You just called the professor "stupid," yesterday.

Beyond that, the reason you're unable to comment on the actual thread topic is because you did not watch the Pete Buttigieg video in the OP. It shows.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:17 pm You just called the professor "stupid," yesterday.

Beyond that, the reason you're unable to comment on the actual thread topic is because you did not watch the Pete Buttigieg video in the OP. It shows.
Don’t think that’s factual either. I may have said his analogy was stupid but I don’t think I ever called him stupid.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:13 pm I know about it. I've read the primary sources. But you run on ignorance, and you're proud of that.
You stated “It’s just a panel that refutes the outright lies of Donald Trump”. Is that in the “primary sources”? Maybe you could reference the “primary source” that says that.

I doubt you can or will
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:55 pm Don’t think that’s factual either. I may have said his analogy was stupid but I don’t think I ever called him stupid.
Do you have have an opinion of the actual thread topic, which is the comments by Pete Buttigieg regarding what you guys are doing to individual rights?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:00 pm You stated “It’s just a panel that refutes the outright lies of Donald Trump”. Is that in the “primary sources”? Maybe you could reference the “primary source” that says that.

I doubt you can or will
I know, I know, you don't believe Trump has ever lied about anything.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:16 pm I know, I know, you don't believe Trump has ever lied about anything.
Of course I didn’t say that. Trump lies all the time. But, that doesn’t change the fact that you can’t use government agencies for partisan political activities. That’s what political parties and political campaigns are supposed to do.

I’m assuming since you are changing the subject, you can’t source what you posted.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:54 pm I’m assuming since you are changing the subject, you can’t source what you posted.
You're the one who is avoiding the subject.

Watched the video, yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysZYwjuFes

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:54 pm Of course I didn’t say that. Trump lies all the time. But, that doesn’t change the fact that you can’t use government agencies for partisan political activities. That’s what political parties and political campaigns are supposed to do.

I’m assuming since you are changing the subject, you can’t source what you posted.
It's not partisan to keep people from openly plotting and attempting to overthrow the duly elected government. I realize you may be in favor, but it's still attempted insurrection.