What's with the GOP and the Moonies?

News and events of the day
ProfX

Re: What's with the GOP and the Moonies?

Post by ProfX »

I hate getting into the weeds of all this stuff. For me, it's an academic discussion, not an "article of faith" discussion (as it apparently is for many churches and sects who want to say they are the "real deal" whereas others are not).

I just remember there being much chatter about this when Mitt Romney was running for POTUS. Is Mitt Romney a Christian? Well, he's a Mormon, and says so, and again I didn't care ... there were other reasons not to vote for him, but that was for then. There ARE some weird aspects to Mormonism, but I believe in the Constitution (which means your faith doesn't matter, wear your sacred underwear, as long as you keep it to yourself), and I was fine with folks returning Harry Reid to the Senate...

Those in the "no" column say the issue is Mormonism rejects the Trinity and divinity of Jesus, as does the Unitarians. (With Mormons, it's complicated, they say Jesus became a god after death, but anybody else can also do it, not making him unique, apparently others can ascend to becoming celestial beings with their own planets to rule ... )

Sigh. So much bickering about a dude who, if we're honest, doesn't have a tremendous amount of contemporary historical and extra-biblical evidence for his existence. Just a fact. All I know is, if he existed, he was just a man.

BUT ... if you accept the theological claim that he was something more (as the Moonies do) ... and then claim to be his second coming or incarnation ... well you are "kinda saying something". Not that Mike Pence isn't stuck in a lot of other contradictions at the moment (like running against his former POTUS for 2024 without mentioning him) but my guess IF I were the sorta Christian who likes him as a man of faith, I might be wondering why he's appearing with somebody who says their Unif. church has essentially superseded and made irrelevant all the other ones (including Pence's own). Most of the other denominations aren't quite that arrogant.

We can haggle about what is or isn't a cult but Moonies have one key characteristic: once you join, you must cut off all contact with anybody outside of the faith, esp. family members (unless they join also). If they dare to criticize or question the faith, the cutoff becomes total. No letters, no email, no phone calls. This is very similar to Scientology. The stories of these ex-Moonies remind me of Leah Remini & others about Hubbardism.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:39 pm Because as a conservative he is open minded and believes everyone has the right to their own beliefs.
Conservatives are openminded to cult behavior, it's true. If you're in doubt, look at the state of your QAnon Pizzagate great replacement party.

Conservatives are also openminded to far-right authoritarianism as practiced by the UPF, that's also true. If you're in doubt about this one, look at that person your QAnon Pizzagate great replacement party last elected, who is still running your party.

Conservatives are quite openminded to forced heterosexuality masquerading as "morality," as thd UPF preaches. You guys are trying to re-establish it as the law of the land, starting with these stupid anti-CRT bans, Don't Say Gay laws, and transgender child persecution laws.

Speaking of repressive laws, conservatives are overwhelmingly openminded to laws that criminalize abortion, stillbirths, and miscarriages, in the name of being "prolife."

And conservatives sure do seem openminded to rightwing propaganda of the Washington Times, and demagogic propagandists like Rev. Moon. That's great for the propagandists, since being opemninded to rightwing propaganda makes you that much easier to exploit.

So, congratulations on this type of openmindedness.

Dunno about you, but I am very happily closed-minded to all of the above, which are designed to destroy my person and various demographic groups I belong to. Rhetorical question: why must anyone be "openminded" to people seeking to make me a second-class citizen?

No need to answer. You're not capable of a rational one.
Unlike liberals
:problem: you are a regular at a board SO liberal, the powers that be around here actually allow you to post your white supremacist trash on here on a daily basis.

All of us except you and that other confederate sicko JoeMemphis would be banned within minutes on a typical con board.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

Since when are conservatives open minded and open minded of everyone’s beliefs? How fucking stupid. And the definition of conservative is the opposite of open minded. Hilarious.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

It ain't liberals trying to take Toni Morrison and other authors out of the library. Or heck, out of Barnes & Noble.

Last I checked, it wasn't liberals who were freaking out over their kids learning about Islam, doing Yoga, or kids making pictures of their families (if not "Leave it To Beaver" examples), in school.

Liberals aren't the ones telling teachers what they can't teach. Not even what they must. There is no Liberal Directorate ORDERING every school district to use the 1619 Project. We are not the ones ordering mandatory indoctrination into various aspects of American exceptionalism.

Liberals don't seem to be the ones worrying about "taco trucks" on every corner ... let alone that neighborhoods might have a lot more Mexican and Hispanic culture in them.

Liberals aren't the ones, generally, telling people the movies they shouldn't see, or the music they shouldn't listen to, we're not the ones screaming about kids reading ... gasp ... Harry Potter. (We might have issues with the TERF views of the author, but we ain't trying to get those removed, either).

But, despite the constant conservative fear of cultural diversity ... religious pluralism ... books that don't sanitize history ... and being exposed to a lot of the world's cultures and worldviews other than the WASP one ... it's liberals who reject diversity. Sure. Tell me another.

Look, my issues with the Unification Church are that they are, and were, an authoritarian cult. What they do or don't believe seems odd to me, but then that's true of a lot of things, and I don't really care. But then, in a day where the GOP seems to have no problem getting up onstage with neo-Nazis, Qcumbers, and pro-Russian white nationalists, maybe Pence getting on stage with one of the Moonies isn't all that unusual.
Last edited by ProfX on Tue May 24, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Drak wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:08 am Since when are conservatives open minded and open minded of everyone’s beliefs? How fucking stupid. And the definition of conservative is the opposite of open minded. Hilarious.
Lol, right?

Conservatives are open minded to the worst elements of humanity. That’s about all they’re open minded to. :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

Is some idiot in here actually attempting a big tent “we embrace everyone with different beliefs” ? Lol. Embarrassing. The stupidity is off the charts, that anyone would attempt to lay a turd like that on these boards.

Cults do not tolerate other people’s beliefs. They control, destroy families, friendships and individuality. The fact that the moonies share the same values as MAGA should ring alarm bells on the right, but the party is now totally extreme.

The Republican Party is a cult that embraces the most extreme elements of society, from WS militias, extreme RW churches to mind control cults like the moonies. Theses groups all share the same goal, and it ain’t democracy. It’s authoritarian rule.

Anyway, here’s an article on Sean Moon, who operates another armed militia.

https://www.businessinsider.com/maga-gu ... te-2021-10

A gun church that glorifies the AR-15 and is led by the son of the 'Moonies' church founder has been making alliances with far-right figures
Wearing his signature crown of gleaming bullets and with a gold AR-15 often strapped to his chest, the 42-year-old Pastor Sean Moon is a bizarre religious leader.

Sean Moon is the founder of the Pennsylvania-based The World Peace and Unification Sanctuary Church, also known as the Rod of Iron Ministries.

He is the son of Reverend Sun Myung Moon, the self-proclaimed Messiah who founded the controversial Unification Church, widely described as a cult. (Its followers are the so-called Moonies.)

On October 9, Moon took to the stage at his church's annual "Freedom Festival," which brought together a medley of far-right figures and gun enthusiasts at the Kahr Arms headquarters in Greeley, Pennsylvania.

During his keynote speech, Moon warned the crowd, in a video seen by Insider, that a coalition of far-right bogeymen, including big tech companies, George Soros and Bill Gates, aimed to "utterly kill America and eradicate freedom from the face of the earth."
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Homey gives "man with the golden gun" an entirely new meaning, I suppose.

Lessee... definitely not a crown of thorns .. is that supposed to be a crown of bullets ... :lol: Yeah, I think it is.

Also, I have heard some bikers worship their Harleys, but ... wow.

"Jesus Guns Babies" ... indeed.
Last edited by ProfX on Tue May 24, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Drak wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:41 am Is some idiot in here actually attempting a big tent “we embrace everyone with different beliefs” ? Lol. Embarrassing. The stupidity is off the charts, that anyone would attempt to lay a turd like that on these boards.

Cults do not tolerate other people’s beliefs. They control, destroy families, friendships and individuality. The fact that the moonies share the same values as MAGA should ring alarm bells on the right, but the party is now totally extreme.

The Republican Party is a cult that embraces the most extreme elements of society, from WS militias, extreme RW churches to mind control cults like the moonies. Theses groups all share the same goal, and it ain’t democracy. It’s authoritarian rule.

Anyway, here’s an article on Sean Moon, who operates another armed militia.

https://www.businessinsider.com/maga-gu ... te-2021-10

A gun church that glorifies the AR-15 and is led by the son of the 'Moonies' church founder has been making alliances with far-right figures

Yeah I posted about this a-hole, earlier.

The only thing more vile than a conservative white person is an imitation conservative white person.

For my own protection, let the record show I am very proudly closed minded to both of these lifestyle choices.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Ok. Yeah. It's a crown of bullets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyung_Jin_Moon

Hyung Jin Moon (born 1979), also known as Sean Moon, is an American pastor and co-founder, alongside his wife, Yeon Ah Lee Moon, of the Pennsylvania-based World Peace and Unification Sanctuary Church, also known as Rod of Iron Ministries. Sanctuary Church is a Church and an unofficial militant offshoot and sect of the Unification movement, which was founded by Hyung Jin Moon's father Reverend Sun Myung Moon.[1][2][3][4] The Southern Poverty Law Center called Hyung Jin Moon an "anti-LGBT cult leader" in January 2018.[5]

Moon and Sanctuary Church followers helped organize the 2021 United States Capitol attack.[6]

[snip]

By 2018, Hyung Jin Moon began wearing a crown of bullets on his head and expressed a more militant and pro-gun rights ideology. Sanctuary Church also went by the name Rod of Iron Ministries and performed religious rituals that heavily involved the AR-15 semiautomatic rifle.[33] In October 2019, members of the World Peace and Unification Sanctuary were invited to "show their willingness to defend their families, communities and nation" by bringing their semi-auto rifles to a service in which their weapons were blessed.[34]

Moon and other members of Sanctuary Church participated in the January 6, 2021 United States Capitol attack.[6] Moon faced no criminal charges from his involvement in the January 6 insurrection.[35]

In 2021, it was reported that Moon and Sanctuary Church had bought and moved to a compound 40 miles from Waco, Texas, the site of the Waco siege.[12] Upon moving to the compound they continued to espouse a highly militant ideology. Later that year it was reported that Moon and Sanctuary Church had bought a 130-acre property in Grainger County, Tennessee to serve as the church's retreat center.[36]

Gun ritual controversies[edit]

Hyung Jin Moon's church, World Peace and Unification Sanctuary Church in Newfoundland, Pennsylvania, gained national attention[37][38][39] in early 2018 for holding a marriage vows renewal ceremony that asked participants to bring their AR-15 rifles.[40] Hyung Jin Moon has likened the AR-15 rifles to the biblical "rod of iron".[41] Neighbors of the church came out to protest the insensitivity of having the AR-15 rifles at the event so soon after the Parkland, Florida shooting that killed 17.[42] To address concerns voiced by parents of an elementary school nearby, the Wallenpaupack Area School District relocated students for the day.[43]

[snip][end]

Hmmm. Buying property near Waco? You gotta wonder. Of course, this is all totally normal stuff. :roll:

I mean look, I've heard of shotgun weddings, but AR-15 weddings ... a little weird ... no? :lol:

But to get serious, yeah, we should accept that they supported the 1/6 insurrection as just another kinda innocent belief, I suppose.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:21 am It ain't liberals trying to take Toni Morrison and other authors out of the library. Or heck, out of Barnes & Noble.

Last I checked, it wasn't liberals who were freaking out over their kids learning about Islam, doing Yoga, or kids making pictures of their families (if not "Leave it To Beaver" examples), in school.

Liberals aren't the ones telling teachers what they can't teach. Not even what they must. There is no Liberal Directorate ORDERING every school district to use the 1619 Project. We are not the ones ordering mandatory indoctrination into various aspects of American exceptionalism.

Liberals don't seem to be the ones worrying about "taco trucks" on every corner ... let alone that neighborhoods might have a lot more Mexican and Hispanic culture in them.

Liberals aren't the ones, generally, telling people the movies they shouldn't see, or the music they shouldn't listen to, we're not the ones screaming about kids reading ... gasp ... Harry Potter. (We might have issues with the TERF views of the author, but we ain't trying to get those removed, either).

But, despite the constant conservative fear of cultural diversity ... religious pluralism ... books that don't sanitize history ... and being exposed to a lot of the world's cultures and worldviews other than the WASP one ... it's liberals who reject diversity. Sure. Tell me another.

Look, my issues with the Unification Church are that they are, and were, an authoritarian cult. What they do or don't believe seems odd to me, but then that's true of a lot of things, and I don't really care. But then, in a day where the GOP seems to have no problem getting up onstage with neo-Nazis, Qcumbers, and pro-Russian white nationalists, maybe Pence getting on stage with one of the Moonies isn't all that unusual.
Beautifully written, this should be in the commentary section of all newspapers.
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:04 pm A messiah is, by definition, not a god. So no false god.
"declared to all heaven and earth that Reverend Sun Myung Moon is none other than humanity’s Savior, Messiah, Returning Lord and True Parent."

Yes, a God. But hey, it's hilarious that you defend the Moonies. You will defend anything the right does.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:16 pm "declared to all heaven and earth that Reverend Sun Myung Moon is none other than humanity’s Savior, Messiah, Returning Lord and True Parent."

Yes, a God. But hey, it's hilarious that you defend the Moonies. You will defend anything the right does.
The leader declares himself savior, messiah, god, etc. literally says "the Christian era has ended."

Green Grass will shout till he's blue in the face that "they're Christian," though.

They clearly don't even consider themselves "Christian."

:problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Looks like ol bullet head up above might be the one to give the benediction at the gun worship fest soon to take place in TX, I bet.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:16 pm "declared to all heaven and earth that Reverend Sun Myung Moon is none other than humanity’s Savior, Messiah, Returning Lord and True Parent."

I think they’re total whack jobs. And there are many more Christian sects that are as well.

He didn’t say he was god and they believe Jesus is the son of god so they are a whack job Christian sect.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:26 pm I think they’re total whack jobs. And there are many more Christian sects that are as well.

He didn’t say he was god and they believe Jesus is the son of god so they are a whack job Christian sect.
Yes, he said he was the savior and Lord. But you come to their defense, or rather, the GOP's defense - and this is indefensible.

Why is the GOP so tied up with such a group, even to the point that they crown them as gods?
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:29 pm Yes, he said he was the savior and Lord. But you come to their defense, or rather, the GOP's defense - and this is indefensible.

Why is the GOP so tied up with such a group, even to the point that they crown them as gods?
Not being part of the gop I really don’t know what they see in the moonies other than money.

Yeah, calling them a whack job Christian sect is coming to their defense. Your a moron.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:31 pm Not being part of the gop I really don’t know what they see in the moonies other than money.

Yeah, calling them a whack job Christian sect is coming to their defense. Your a moron.
Look at all your posts, and pretend you weren't defending the GOP and them. Your problem, not mine.

We don't play your passive/aggressive games here.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:39 pm Look at all your posts, and pretend you weren't defending the GOP and them. Your problem, not mine.

We don't play your passive/aggressive games here.
All of these conservative men around here are gaslighters.

Not even of us or of this board. They are gaslighters of themselves.

~ Ida B. Wells