Texas Could Vote to Secede From U.S. in 2023 as GOP Pushes for Referendum

News and events of the day
Libertas

Texas Could Vote to Secede From U.S. in 2023 as GOP Pushes for Referendum

Post by Libertas »

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-secede-u ... 7254?amp=1

Texas Republicans are pushing for a referendum to decide whether the state should secede from the U.S.

I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Re: Texas Could Vote to Secede From U.S. in 2023 as GOP Pushes for Referendum

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:51 pm Image
Bad idea.

Texas is 40% Latino and 12% African American.

That's a lot of people thrown to the wolves under lawless, violent, TX GOP conservative whites.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Toonces »

seceding is always a messy proposition.

Do they retain a share of the national debt?
What of any federal lands, buildings, or other infrastructure within the territory?
Is there any native land and, if so, what happens to them?
Do they create their own currency or will they remain subject to the country's monetary policies?
What about military?
What will the immigration policies for this new country be? What will it be for other countries as well as the former one?
They will have no trade agreements and will be in any favorable positions when making new ones.

People advocating it have no idea just how massively complicated enacting, and expensive, the idea will be.

It does do a lot of damage to the GOP, they lose senate seats, congressional districts, electoral college, Ted Cruz...

OK, maybe the last one they'd be fine with.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Toonces wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:44 am seceding is always a messy proposition.
Without getting into its messiness (or what happened the last time when a whole bunch of states tried), I also think some strange mumblings and noises from the Texas GOP leadership does not reflect in any way the views of the vast majority of the population of the state, who, I'm betting, do not want to leave the Union.
Last edited by ProfX on Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:31 pm Without getting into its messiness (or what happened the last time when a whole bunch of states tried), I also think some strange mumblings and noises from the Texas GOP leadership does not reflect in any way the views of the bast majority of the population of the state, who, I'm betting, do not want to leave the Union.
Hopefully not, but I did hear only 20% of the GOP believes anything wrong happened on Jan 6. Yikes, that means EIGHTY PERCENT of the GOD DAMN REPUBLICAN PARTY is in favor of violent overthrows of the government if it means their guy wins... :twisted:

Got a feeling that is shared by a couple cons here.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:10 pm Hopefully not, but I did hear only 20% of the GOP believes anything wrong happened on Jan 6. Yikes, that means EIGHTY PERCENT of the GOD DAMN REPUBLICAN PARTY is in favor of violent overthrows of the government if it means their guy wins... :twisted:

Got a feeling that is shared by a couple cons here.
Perhaps the government should have an Operation Warp Speed to produce a vaccine against ignorance and stupidity and make it mandatory for all republicans and conservatives get.
When you vote left, you vote right.