Roe down, Griswold, Lawrence and Obergefell next on chopping block

News and events of the day
gounion

Roe down, Griswold, Lawrence and Obergefell next on chopping block

Post by gounion »

So, they did what they've always said they're going to do, knock down Roe. Fifty years in the making. And, writing a concurring opinion, Clarence Thomas called to revisit all similar decisions. Right here:

So let's be clear: He wants to take down the right of people to get contraceptives (including married people), same-sex marriage, and even the right of Americans to have homosexual sex AT ALL.

So I've said for some time on this board that gay marriage and contraception was next for them, and you conservatives said I was delusional.

So fuck you all, I was right all the time. We see the USA you want to have.
ProfX

Re: Roe down, Griswold, Lawrence and Obergefell next on chopping block

Post by ProfX »

Two things seem necessary to me at this point:

a) it is time for Congress to codify aspects of Roe as federal law. Yeah, that might be taken to SCOTUS. Bring it on.
a*) Yes, I know that iron wall called the filibuster in the Senate is there, and now more than ever, we need to discuss that problem ... too.
b) time for activists nationwide to focus on a "underground railroad" system that enables women to access RU-486, AND helps guide them to abortion providers in other states. We need to do whatever is necessary to defeat laws that pursue women who leave their states to access abortion clinics elsewhere. You can ban it in your state, but you cannot ban it in other states, that's not how this works.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:30 am So, they did what they've always said they're going to do, knock down Roe. Fifty years in the making. And, writing a concurring opinion, Clarence Thomas called to revisit all similar decisions. Right here:

So let's be clear: He wants to take down the right of people to get contraceptives (including married people), same-sex marriage, and even the right of Americans to have homosexual sex AT ALL.

So I've said for some time on this board that gay marriage and contraception was next for them, and you conservatives said I was delusional.

So fuck you all, I was right all the time. We see the USA you want to have.
Several of us here have been saying the same thing about the game these people are playing.

It should be clear to everyone around here that these matters are indeed just a joke to the conservatives around here, as well.

Like the rest of their ilk, they aren’t simply trolling the libs. Their posts are indicative of the entrenched corrosiveness of white-conservative patriarchy.

They’re the ones who are delusional. Their entire culture hinges on one lie: that they’re the superiors of all others.

That house of cards was built by government policies and SCOTUS rulings like this one.

Engel v Vitale and Brown v Board of Ed. are next after Obergefell, Bostock, Lawrence v Texas, and Griswold.

After that: US v. Wong Kim Ark. Anyone remember when they ran around screeching about “clarifying” the 14th Amendment? The goal since Reconstruction has been to simply gut it. That’s what these conservative whites and their imitators are after. He even says so in the last line of that page.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Now, let's be clear: This was a call to all the religious constituency groups from the Supreme Court. It was a call to tee up cases to run through the system to get to the Court so that they can overturn these decisions just like they overturned Roe. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them take on a "life begins at fertilization act" from a state like Oklahoma to put in a de facto complete abortion ban in America.

So religious groups and state governments will now start passing laws and teeing up cases to send up to the Supreme Court so they CAN "revisit and revise" past decisions in order to ban contraception, homosexuality and gay marriage.

Because those are the case the new Supreme Court majority wants. And Thomas doesn't care who knows.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I got angry 10 years ago.

I'm past anger.

One side, the right-to-life medievalists, chose action. The other one trusted in abstract notions of majorities and settled law. They let McConnell steal a supreme court seat and the Federalist Society take over the government. I got angry about it. That was then. Someone else can get angry now.

There is only action. Apathy leads to tyranny. No stasis on a moving train. We don't choose the times, the times choose us.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

What gets me is our conservatives are so damned gutless that they deny this is what they want, what they are voting for, and what they've wanted for years.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:12 am Now, let's be clear: This was a call to all the religious constituency groups from the Supreme Court. It was a call to tee up cases to run through the system to get to the Court so that they can overturn these decisions just like they overturned Roe. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them take on a "life begins at fertilization act" from a state like Oklahoma to put in a de facto complete abortion ban in America.

So religious groups and state governments will now start passing laws and teeing up cases to send up to the Supreme Court so they CAN "revisit and revise" past decisions in order to ban contraception, homosexuality and gay marriage.

Because those are the case the new Supreme Court majority wants. And Thomas doesn't care who knows.
They’re targeting the 14th Amendment.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

Talk, talk, talk.

One side talks, the other side wins.

Where was all this angst when the Republicans in the Senate seized the SCOTUS and stole an Obama pick for justice?

Too late.

No stasis on a moving train, or you'll end up in Brooklyn every time you want to be in Union Square.
Last edited by ZoWie on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:22 am Talk, talk, talk.

Where was all this angst when the Republicans in the Senate seized the SCOTUS and stole an Obama pick for justice?

Too late.

No stasis on a moving train, or you'll end up in Brooklyn every time you want to be at Union Square.
It's the truth. Don't know where we go from here.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:16 am What gets me is our conservatives are so damned gutless that they deny this is what they want, what they are voting for, and what they've wanted for years.
Yes, conservative misanthropy starts in the mirror.

Reading their old publications like the KKK newspaper in Indiana and the White Citizens Council publications has been instructive. They do the same thing in them, and make the same predator-victimhood arguments.

They publicly target the most vulnerable groups that they hope everyone will join them in suppressing. When under the sheets, they commit atrocities against FAR more people than what they talk about in public.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

Less talk and more grass roots action. Pre-emption, not reaction. If you have to take to the streets in anger, it's already too late.

Politics 101.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I've started researching on RU-486. Aka "the abortion pill".
https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn ... rtion-pill

So: it appears that you can get it through a telehealth appointment or televisit with PP.

The bad news: they don't tend to recommend usage of it after 11 weeks into pregnancy.

There are going to be women who cannot afford to leave their state, even if the state doesn't take steps to ban or prevent it ... this may be their only option.

Pro-choice activists have to get this information out.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I see the biggest underground drug scene since Timothy Leary on this one.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:27 am Less talk and more grass roots action. Pre-emption, not reaction. If you have to take to the streets in anger, it's already too late.

Politics 101.
The time to do something was in 2016 when people left and right were bashing Hillary.

Where are the cons who said Roe was safe?

When same sex marriage goes and contraception and interracial marriage, they will say what?

I got an idea, dont say anything, cuz you are enemies of the human race. :twisted:
Last edited by Libertas on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

RU-486 is legal in the U.S., unscheduled, and FDA-approved. (Unlike LSD.)

As of this moment, no state has banned it. Do I see a lot of attempts to pass said bans in near future? Of course.

Are there laws in states that could make it difficult to obtain? Answer is yes, and it is complicated.

DO EXISTING STATE ABORTION LAWS APPLY TO MIFEPRISTONE (RU-486)?
https://www.aclu.org/other/do-existing- ... one-ru-486

The answer to that question is ... unfortunately ... maybe.

This is why I think the immediate goal has to be a network to connect women who want it in states that make it difficult to obtain.
Last edited by ProfX on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Libertas wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:35 am The time to do something was in 2016 when people left and right were bashing Hillary.

Where are the cons who said Roe was safe?

When same sex marriage goes and contraception and interracial marriage, they will say what?

I got an idea, dont say anything, cuz you are enemies of the human race. :twisted:
That's why I said I got angry 10 years ago and I'm not going to this time. I'm through crying in the wilderness. There is only action, and I wish I could say the march won't be a long one, but it will, due to inaction when it mattered. We gave the righties a freebie on the SCOTUS, because after all it's all settled law, right?

This is the world we have, now the change either starts today or it doesn't. No stasis on moving trains. Miss your stop, next one's in Queens.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:41 am That's why I said I got angry 10 years ago and I'm not going to this time. I'm through crying in the wilderness. There is only action, and I wish I could say the march won't be a long one, but it will, due to inaction when it mattered. We gave the righties a freebie on the SCOTUS, because after all it's all settled law, right?

This is the world we have, now the change either starts today or it doesn't. No stasis on moving trains. Miss your stop, next one's in Queens.
Many of the ones on the left who bashed Hillary, who put us here, have learned nothing so the future is bleak.

My cousin who is a recently reformed republican who lives near me and I have concluded November will be violent when Republicans refuse to certify the elections they lose, the stock market will crash and we don't know exactly how to protect ourselves and our families but we're talking about it now.

Reporting now that the decision was written as if by a scorned incel wrote it.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Hey, silver linings. SCOTUS is also going after concealed carry laws.

Won't matter in LA, because everyone carries anyway. Will matter in New York. A little. Not as much as 10 years ago when it was actually getting better in this country. Was.

Apathy leads to tyranny. Who said that thing about eternal vigilance? I was out on the distant early warning line and I pushed the INCOMING button. Nothing happened.

This time I do it quietly, and invisibly. You can help.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

FELONY now in Alabama to get an abortion, so do the docs and Women go to prison or to the gas chamber?
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Keep on the way you're going, and you will be going to the gallows or the stake instead of the "humane" gas chamber.

I will be surprised if at least a few states don't reinstate hanging and/or shooting. (That's right, Utah gave you a choice.)

Lessons are learned the hard way in American politics. Most people don't care until the ones who do point the cannon right in their faces. Then it's too late.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:22 am Talk, talk, talk.

Too late.

No stasis on a moving train, or you'll end up in Brooklyn every time you want to be in Union Square.
For a lot of us who are directly affected by conservative legal, legislative, and vigilante attacks, apathy = death.

One can talk and act at the same time. In fact, a lot of us must do both because these threats aren't just on-paper abstractions to chat about on the internet.

Dunno about anyone else, but our institutions, our methods, our histories, didn't just suddenly implode or go offline or all go home a couple hours ago. I trust them FAR more than the effects of conservative violence, be it legal, social, legislative, or vigilante.

It is never too late, either. That's a myth, and I'm not talking about the religious studies definition of myth.

Conservatives, ruthless may they be, are not omnipotent, omnipresent, omnicient, or any of that. They may have the idea that their Gott Mit Uns agendas cannot be defeated, but American history tells me they are wrong about that. It's why they want history banned in schools and libraries. They do not want the next generation to know exactly how we defeated them.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

First time EVER rights have been taken away, and board cons approve.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Never said it was too late, though in the case of Roe it was a bit late to start caring two months ago when the decision was leaked by a brave clerk. The time to start caring was when the Republicans in the Senate stole Obama's SCOTUS pick. One or two people did. I know one did, because I did. There was probably someone else somewhere who did. I never found them, even on these here vast Internets.

I said people have to care. Carmen, you aren't the one being addressed here because it is obvious from many years online in these groups that you are one of the people who gets it. I address the "liberals" who talk a good game but then either don't vote or just think it's all settled law.

There is no settled law. Ask any dictator. L'etat c'est moi.
Last edited by ZoWie on Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:08 pm Never said it was too late. I said people have to care. Carmen, you aren't the one being addressed here because it is obvious from many years online in these groups that you are one of the people who gets it. I address the "liberals" who talk a good game but then either don't vote or just think it's all settled law.

There is no settled law. Ask any dictator. L'etat c'est moi.
I know I have NEVER thought it was safe, we were safe. I do know some progressives who did though, who gave much more attention to Universal Health Care and bashing Hillary than what was REALLY at stake! :evil: