Public opinion on Roe and SCOTUS

News and events of the day
ProfX

Public opinion on Roe and SCOTUS

Post by ProfX »

In case you're wondering, as of the most recent polling (Spring 2022), ~62% of Americans still opposed overturning Roe. That was before the SCOTUS decision. But opposition to overturning Roe has long been a consistent American position.

Republicans are the only group with majority support for overturning Roe as of May 2022 - NOT Independents.

That was the American approval of SCOTUS, ("underwater") in May of 2022, will be interesting to see when the next set of numbers come out. I of course expect it to go lower.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Re: Public opinion on Roe and SCOTUS

Post by ProfX »

BTW: only 8% of Americans think abortion should be illegal under all circumstances, without exceptions. (As of May 2022.)

"legal with limits" was the Roe/Casey position, adding to that "always legal" gets you to 64%.

No legend on that table - source: KFF Tracking Poll. 2022.

79% of Americans oppose criminal charges for women obtaining abortions - whether they will be charged for murder, or even something less harsh, with any criminal penalties.

BTW, I understand the SCOTUS is supposed to be independent of public opinion. Fine enough. The people who appoint SCOTUS justices, though, are not.

All this needs to be borne in mind in November's election.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Public opinion is irrelevant in the US until the public acts on its opinions. Anyone can answer a question on a phone poll. Hardly anyone has the time or inclination to get off the Peloton bike long enough to put in a few hours going to meetings, making phone calls, electioneering, organizing, or lobbying. No one wants to do the grunt work.

I put in my time for as long as my energy and finances permitted, but it wears you down. We need fresh troops. We don't get them.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

https://twitter.com/VPS_Reports/status/ ... eh8WEUh4Ew

https://twitter.com/i/status/1540569433860583424

Viewer discretion advised. LAPD officers beat a man on the ground at the pro-choice protest and slam his head onto the cement until he shows seizure-like symptoms. I tried to give him water and LAPD smacked the water out of my hand. Then they dragged the man away on the ground.
Welcome to America, white folks. I guess it has been like this for non white folks for a while now.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:17 pm We need fresh troops. We don't get them.
You are entitled to this opinion.

I don't share it.

I say that because of all the young people I saw at today's protests. I admire your activism. I don't virtue signal over mine. I share your distaste of apathy. We can only speak of what we see. I see a new generation coming out to protest. Good. As far as what motivates others to join you, I find complaining isn't the best method. YMMV.

Cheers.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:29 pm You are entitled to this opinion.

I don't share it.

I say that because of all the young people I saw at today's protests. I admire your activism. I don't virtue signal over mine. I share your distaste of apathy. We can only speak of what we see. I see a new generation coming out to protest. Good. As far as what motivates others to join you, I find complaining isn't the best method. YMMV.

Cheers.
This is what I have been trying to figure out, some of them are joining us and some of them dont really know what is going on.

Getting something viral on YT and tiktok and what not to reach them, most dont own TV's etc. I am open to any suggestions.

I tweet our reps about doing something to go viral, if you have an idea or anyone else I wont be shy telling them.

ps I am trying to feel what you are feeling and complain less and project doom and gloom less, so your comments are helpful.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Libertas wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:33 pm This is what I have been trying to figure out, some of them are joining us and some of them dont really know what is going on.
Maybe it's because I teach a lot of young people (well, I mean 18-22, anyway.)

This claim they don't know what's going on I tend to reject. Many of them are a lot more "woke" than their elders, and I do not say that as a bad thing. They clearly get certain things their elders still seem to not really be very 'up' on, trans issues being one that stands out for me.

I learn from them. Good teachers do.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:37 pm Maybe it's because I teach a lot of young people (well, I mean 18-22, anyway.)

This claim they don't know what's going on I tend to reject. Many of them are a lot more "woke" than their elders, and I do not say that as a bad thing. They clearly get certain things their elders still seem to not really be very 'up' on, trans issues being one that stands out for me.

I learn from them. Good teachers do.
I am referring to the hearings specifically right now. I dont think people without TV's are tuned in as much as those with are, but I suppose I could be wrong about that.

It is not as much about the device to watch it on but the source, most 18-26 or whatever it is are not watching CNN or MSNBC or CSPAN, I am almost willing to bet money on it, while I would love to be wrong about this too.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

You need to watch what's on TikTok.

Are they listening to hours of hearings? Nah.

Are they talking about it on TikTok? Sharing clips.

See what I just said.

Look, I'm the middle age fuddy duddy who's lagging behind them. I can't freaking two thumb type on my phone. I watch them do it with amazement. The guy who when they ask where's my Discord, I say "whut?" :D

I really think this is a more media-savvy generation than previous ones. Maybe digital literacy died. Some of the kids are doing a good effort to revive it.

The kids really are alright.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:44 pm You need to watch what's on TikTok.

Are they listening to hours of hearings? Nah.

Are they talking about it on TikTok? Sharing clips.

See what I just said.

Look, I'm the middle age fuddy duddy who's lagging behind them. I can't freaking two thumb type on my phone. I watch them do it with amazement. The guy who when they ask where's my Discord, I say "whut?" :D

I really think this is a more media-savvy generation than previous ones. Maybe digital literacy died. Some of the kids are doing a good effort to revive it.

The kids really are alright.
I would kill to learn how to hold my phone with two hands and type like hell on it. I am terrible at it and I type 90 words a minute on a keyboard.

I am active on insta and twitter and FB but not tiktok, no account. Do you have tiktok account?
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I voyeur there, much like Twitter, but I don't post from an active account.

BTW; 74% of 18-29 year olds oppose the overturn of Roe. Once again, the kids are alright. I guess they can really react when they grew up with a reality that suddenly got yanked away. Oh, and the young ladies are the ones who can have an unexpected pregnancy. And leading the way.

Mine not to tell others what to do. I just know I prefer to show people how to act, it's the most productive thing one can use a MB for (IMHO) besides, well, arguing.

Donate to and support abortion access organizations like this one.
https://www.jewsforabortionaccess.org/fund

Find a protest near you, go to it.
https://map.wewontgoback.com

Volunteer with organizations on the frontlines. Or donate.
https://www.prochoiceamerica.org

And yes, now more than ever, vote in November and get anyone you can reach to the polls.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

ProfX wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:29 pm You are entitled to this opinion.

I don't share it.

Cheers.
Engaging the cops in the street does not swing votes in borderline precincts in key states. Mostly, it pisses off the center, and then it goes rightward.

Protesting is another matter. It is important but largely because it energizes our side. Seeing hundreds of people in the street peacefully exercising their right to redress of grievances is inspiring and I've organized my share of these so don't tell your mama how to suck eggs, K? When you can get A-list celebs to perform at your rallies on expensive stages through rented concert sound systems in front of the city hall with all the TV crews pointing cameras at your efforts, get back to me and we'll compare notes.

For me to disparage the right to protest is like Napoleon disparaging large conscript armies. It borders on theater of the absurd. I apologize for any connotation that I would be doing that. I'm sick of all this bickering online. I'm Mister Coalition, and I'll work with you but there can be none of this leftier than thou attitude, and then we'll get along just fine.

My distaste for the Internet is solely because talk is cheap. It's a good organizing tool, but the real rubber hits the actual highway in personal e-mail and obscure mailing lists that no one outside the movement has heard of, let alone trolled. The threats and idle chitchat on the big social sites do not interest me. I was on twitter for hours last night, but it was on lists, not public tweets.

Mostly the continuing turnout of college and high school age protesters gives a nice feeling that perhaps the country can pick up the ball where my generation obviously fumbled it. Tell you something, though, everyone fails. It's what you learn from it that matters, and I've learned that the rubber hits the asphalt in other places than Internet discussions.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:30 pm When you can get A-list celebs to perform at your rallies on expensive stages through rented concert sound systems in front of the city hall with all the TV crews pointing cameras at your efforts, get back to me and we'll compare notes.
I ain't here to compare notes. I got Cesar Chavez to my campus when I was a youngun, but I didn't do it on my own some. :D

I do not know how to get Mark Ruffalo to anywhere or anything, in any shade or color of green :mrgreen: These days, I mostly try to find out what's happening, and show up. If celebrities are there ... kool.

If there's someone you need to convince that pissing off & confronting cops is not the point of protesting, it isn't me.
Tell you something, though, everyone fails.
This being human thing sucks. The only worse thing is the alternative.

Cheers.
Last edited by ProfX on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

https://map.wewontgoback.com/

I used to have this bookmarked, was hoping I wouldnt need it again.

thanks
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

ProfX wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:09 pm I ain't here to compare notes. I got Cesar Chavez to my campus when I was a youngun, but I didn't do it on my own some. :D

I do not know how to get Mark Ruffalo to anywhere or anything, in any shade or color of green :mrgreen: These days, I mostly try to find out what's happening, and show up. If celebrities are there ... kool.

If there's someone you need to convince that pissing off & confronting cops is not the point of protesting, it isn't me.

This being human thing sucks. The only worse thing is the alternative.

Cheers.
Very wise. I think we understand each other just fine, and that's why I hang around this board. I want to get along with like minded people.

Nobody does anything on their own. I had the luxury of an independent peace coalition that was highly regarded by others in the left who put aside individual differences on issues long enough to work together on goober bush invading the wrong country after 9/11. There was consensus that getting Bin Laden was not a bad thing, but making Iraq pay for it just because their autocratic ruler's people had allegedly tried to kill goober's daddy, and/or they had oil reserves, was counter productive. Tell you something, if you can organize in the post-9/11 climate, when the center is screaming for a war somewhere, anywhere, just kill someone now, today's situation should be a slam dunk.

Yours for struggle and change............
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1540 ... 6VCoXY8PbA

If Susan Collins and Joe Manchin feel betrayed, there's an easy fix: Carve out a reproductive rights exemption to the filibuster, then enact national abortion rights. They could do it Monday.

Time to stop posturing and start acting.
Board cons by definition support imprisoning or killing Women who get abortions, or doctors. You see that is how voting and the two party system work.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The two party system works best when there are actually two viable parties, not one highly motivated and well financed one, and one apathetic one that can't figure out how to get its voters to give a damn.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:09 pm The two party system works best when there are actually two viable parties, not one highly motivated and well financed one, and one apathetic one that can't figure out how to get its voters to give a damn.
And of course the point is when you vote for the party that seeks to harm Women and others, you support it.

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:19 pm https://twitter.com/VPS_Reports/status/ ... eh8WEUh4Ew

https://twitter.com/i/status/1540569433860583424

Welcome to America, white folks. I guess it has been like this for non white folks for a while now.
VPS Reports is really great. Real-deal person.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

I clicked the link, which of course took me to twitter, which I was still logged into, and twitter promptly came back with the content and then a link to, "Other material of interest regarding women's rights protests."

And now you know why I don't trust doorbell cameras. The whole net is becoming one huge data mine.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

get MAD as HELL

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/stat ... nUjjzmb2Bw

https://twitter.com/i/status/1540811159103758338

Police in Greenville, South Carolina are tasing and arresting pro-choice protesters
Nowhere in America will you find police bashing the MAGA fucks who are always protesting the vaccine or some other stupid thing they are afraid of.

Like I have said over and over, because of the media being labeled "liberal" in the 60's, the right has no responsibility about anything ever and the left has all of it always.
Toonces

Post by Toonces »

Encourage protesting. Get people out. Get them involved. If they're involved, they'll have a better connection to the issues, they'll have some personal investment and that is never a bad thing. Having a personal investment is more likely to encourage voting than discouraging it. Don't let up, don't let apathy set in.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Get people meeting, raising money, hiring lawyers, starting or backing PACs, electing members of Congress, promoting sympathetic news media, starting committees of correspondence on the Internet, organizing informational pickets and vigils, and digging in for a multi-generational struggle.

That's how they did it.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »