Snow ice cream?

Introduce yourself, or talk about what's happening in your life
gounion

Snow ice cream?

Post by gounion »

Okay, it's July. Not usually a time to think about it, but I did today. No idea why. Used to have this a lot as a kid, every time we had a big snow, which back then happened a lot more then, than it does now.

Did you guys ever have it? I'd go out with out biggest pot, into a big, white drift, and get pure white clean snow. Then, as I recall (I never made it, never had it as an adult) she mixed in milk and vanilla extract.

Delicious!

Now, even back then, officials said you shouldn't make it, but we didn't listen. But looking back, with all the lead in the air from gasoline, it probably WASN'T smart.

But it was a part of my childhood I remember very fondly.
Number6

Re: Snow ice cream?

Post by Number6 »

I remember back in the late 50s we were told not to eat snow because there was Strontium 90 in the snow from the above ground nuclear tests. As a kid, we did it anyway but not often.

As for snow ice scream, I never heard of that but it sounds interesting.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Re: Snow ice cream?

Post by gounion »

Last night I asked my wife about whether her mom made snow ice cream - as she spend much of her childhood in Germany, where she said they got huge amounts of snow. She said sure, and I said how did she make it? She said that she just put fruit flavoring on top - in other words, snow cones. She had never heard of it how my mom made it.

[url-https://www.thoughtco.com/is-it-safe-to-eat-snow-609430]This article[/url] says generally, snow is safe to eat. And here's a recipe for snow ice cream similar to my mom's, except that she used plain milk while the recipe uses condensed milk.

I have one argument with the recipe - it talks about freezing the leftovers. Leftover re-frozen snow ice cream sucked. After eating it fresh, I never wanted any from the freezer.