Been riding a lot

News and events of the day
Motor City

Re: Been riding a lot

Post by Motor City »

https://twitter.com/BerniceKing/status/ ... 6839518211
This was back in the day. I betcha’ didn’t know!
Cool

Get your motor runnin head out on the highway
Fightin racial injustice and whatever comes our way
bradman

Post by bradman »

{chuckle}i've been having a difficult time coming up with with a word other than "raid". While surfing some of the early stuff i came across Colbert who mentioned something about librarians busting Trump. Which made me wonder........NARA is basically a library, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tP9fI2zbE

Trump done got busted by the library cops.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Of course, why not call it what the courts call it, judges call it, FBI call it...

Why insist on the word rightwingers use on purpose to make it seem like something it was not?
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It was a duly authorized search and seizure. They came, they presented a duly executed warrant likely signed by the Atty General himself, and they left with the boxes that legally belonged to them and which the occupant had stolen.

The occupant was not detained, nobody went to jail, no legal cases impend. (Unless drumpf sues to get the stolen documents back, as is his right. He'll lose, of course.)

All the rest of the discussion goes to intent, and is beyond the scope of the case. Did the Justice Department intend to wage a vendetta against a former president? Not proven in a court of law. Did a former president illegally abscond with top secret documents with intent to peddle them to the highest foreign bidders? Not proven in a court of law.

Of course they showed up in force and waved rifles around. There is no other way to deal with drumpf's faction. Asking nicely gets you ignored, then you get doxxed on social media and have to send your children to live with some relative way out in nowhere.

The whole matter is 99% conjecture, and in the Internet era, conjecture gets taken for fact a billion times a day.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:41 pm It was a duly authorized search and seizure. They came, they presented a duly executed warrant likely signed by the Atty General himself, and they left with the boxes that legally belonged to them and which the occupant had stolen.

The occupant was not detained, nobody went to jail, no legal cases impend. (Unless drumpf sues to get the stolen documents back, as is his right. He'll lose, of course.)

All the rest of the discussion goes to intent, and is beyond the scope of the case. Did the Justice Department intend to wage a vendetta against a former president? Not proven in a court of law. Did a former president illegally abscond with top secret documents with intent to peddle them to the highest foreign bidders? Not proven in a court of law.

Of course they showed up in force and waved rifles around. There is no other way to deal with drumpf's faction. Asking nicely gets you ignored, then you get doxxed on social media and have to send your children to live with some relative way out in nowhere.

The whole matter is 99% conjecture, and in the Internet era, conjecture gets taken for fact a billion times a day.
And as you can SEE HERE ON THIS BOARD cons insist on using words to make it something it is NOT!
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It's a con con-job.

It started a long time ago. First I was aware of it was when the Republicans gained full control of the media, and suddenly a war was a "protective reaction," classism was "trickle-down economics," lying to the media was "news management," and people risking their lives fighting for the rights supposedly guaranteed them by the nation's founding documents were "outside agitators."

Compared to now, that time was an era of mutual trust and understanding. Now we don't even discuss matters as adults. It goes from silence to confrontation in milliseconds. One side waves rifles around and threatens civil war. The other side really doesn't have much to say at all. It's all a show, and on occasion it uses real bullets.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:52 pm It's a con con-job.

It started a long time ago. First I was aware of it was when the Republicans gained full control of the media, and suddenly a war was a "protective reaction," classism was "trickle-down economics," lying to the media was "news management," and people risking their lives fighting for the rights supposedly guaranteed them by the nation's founding documents were "outside agitators."

Compared to now, that time was an era of mutual trust and understanding. Now we don't even discuss matters as adults. It goes from silence to confrontation in milliseconds. One side waves rifles around and threatens civil war. The other side really doesn't have much to say at all. It's all a show, and on occasion it uses real bullets.
Doesn't have much to say at all?

Serious question, what should WE be doing differently other than financially supporting democrats, when we can physically helping campaigns, etc?
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I'm sure the FBI agents had weapons with them, they usually carry revolvers, Agent Mulder & Sculley did :D , but I see no evidence they brandished them or threatened anybody.

Trump wasn't at MAL. There were probably just staff and guests there. They would have shown the warrant to staff, and then cleared the area of all people in the basement & any other areas to be searched.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:13 pm I'm sure the FBI agents had weapons with them, they usually carry revolvers, Agent Mulder & Sculley did :D , but I see no evidence they brandished them or threatened anybody.

Trump wasn't at MAL. There were probably just staff and guests there. They would have shown the warrant to staff, and then cleared the area of all people in the basement & any other areas to be searched.
Did you think you would see the day republicans, rank and file otherwise not necessarily far right citizens of this god damn country, would throw the FBI and DOJ under the bus in an obvious situation where their guy is guilty? JUST to be political!

Even though I predict them to commit the worst acts imaginable, even I am surprised when they do.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Nothing surprises me any more. It is a genuine post-truth situation. The truth is essentially whatever the maker of the statement says it is. Sometimes, if the maker of the statement lacks political clout, the statement will be debunked, usually after the damage is done, since the time period for that now is hours instead of months. If the maker does have political clout, a la Fucker Carlson, the debunking won't be widely accepted at any time by the groups that control the narrative.

It's all been further complicated, almost infinitely so, by the design of independently running algorithms which analyze all content on the most popular web sites in terms of what will bring the most traffic and therefore the most ad views, with little or no regard for what the writers are actually saying. This has a number of effects, all of which guarantee that ideas with the most buzz spread fastest. The world is being reduced to a giant supermarket tabloid drowning out reality.
bradman

Post by bradman »

ProfX wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:13 pm I'm sure the FBI agents had weapons with them, they usually carry revolvers, Agent Mulder & Sculley did :D , but I see no evidence they brandished them or threatened anybody.

[bold] {chuckle}

Call it what ya want. i'm more interested in weather or not this will be the dent that finally takes away any chance of him running for any kind of office again. Legally.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

He'd have to be convicted of something that carries that penalty, and it would have to hold up on appeal. There are a few possibilities but the odds seem long. We'd best devote most of our energy to getting the truth out to more people, and working to get out our side's vote in close elections.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Motor City wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:02 pm https://twitter.com/BerniceKing/status/ ... 6839518211

Cool

Get your motor runnin head out on the highway
Fightin racial injustice and whatever comes our way
8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AM1phJmgs4

Fightin bullies and whatever comes our way..............
bradman

Post by bradman »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:05 pm He'd have to be convicted of something that carries that penalty, and it would have to hold up on appeal. There are a few possibilities but the odds seem long. We'd best devote most of our energy to getting the truth out to more people, and working to get out our side's vote in close elections.
i love you guys. Ya give me hope.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

It’s closed for the summer. Pretty sure that’s why they acted when they did.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Looks like they close every summer starting in May. Smart. Probably not a lot of resort guests willing to deal with the hurricane season.

Seems this is why Trump prefers Bedminster as his summer palace. :D

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-does-mar-a ... away-52503

Therefore, would have been no guests, probably just a skeleton staff at best.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:01 pm [bold] {chuckle}

Call it what ya want. i'm more interested in weather or not this will be the dent that finally takes away any chance of him running for any kind of office again. Legally.
Hate to burst your bubble but there is nothing that can stop him legally. I know there’s a law that has been mentioned where the penalty is disqualification from federal office but that is blatantly unconstitutional. Neither the congress nor the states have the enumerated power to set qualifications for federal elected office. The qualifications in the constitution are the only ones that apply. Supreme Court says so.

Powell v. McCormack, 395 U.S. 486 (1969)

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/395/486/

U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995)

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/514/779/
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:29 pm It’s closed for the summer. Pretty sure that’s why they acted when they did.
chuckle. What the fuck are you mumbling about.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:38 pm Hate to burst your bubble but there is nothing that can stop him legally. I know there’s a law that has been mentioned where the penalty is disqualification from federal office but that is blatantly unconstitutional. Neither the congress nor the states have the enumerated power to set qualifications for federal elected office. The qualifications in the constitution are the only ones that apply. Supreme Court says so.

Powell v. McCormack, 395 U.S. 486 (1969)

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/395/486/

U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995)

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/514/779/
ooowwww we're getting serious now.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:40 pm ooowwww we're getting serious now.
People don’t understand the problems facing AG Garland. He knows that there are huge risks involved here. Especially with the current Supreme Court makeup. As i said earlier, charging under the Presidential Records Act could easily result in the law being found unconstitutional. Other laws may have problems when a president is involved.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Read here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_v._ ... nistration

In 1974, the SCOTUS ruled 7-2 in favor of upholding the Presidential Recordings & Materials Preservation Act, passed in 1974, and signed by Gerald Ford.

They have never ruled on the Presidential Records Act, the succeeding law passed in 1978 under Carter. (Subsequently modified by several presidential Executive Orders, but we won't go into that.)

Dissents:
Rehnquist felt the 1974 law was excessive, but didn't explicitly say it was unconstitutional. Only Burger said so.

As for the 1978 successor law, no court has ever issued any ruling on its propriety, or constitutionality. It's not the same as the 1974 law SCOTUS ruled on; but builds on it.

BTW, I have no doubt AG Garland understands the law quite thoroughly, and reviewed it thoroughly, before approving this search, and I'm sure understands it better than his critics.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:51 pm People don’t understand the problems facing AG Garland. He knows that there are huge risks involved here. Especially with the current Supreme Court makeup. As i said earlier, charging under the Presidential Records Act could easily result in the law being found unconstitutional. Other laws may have problems when a president is involved.
i get that.

lets keep it light if we can.
bradman

Post by bradman »

I found the perfect place but could not hang it at the time. They both go back to work tomorrow. i plan on cruising up there and placing it in the perfect spot. With all they have going on, i'd be willing to bet they won't find it until fall when the leaves drop. 8-)
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:54 pm i get that.

lets keep it light if we can.
Ok.

There’s always, trump, is the gift that keeps on giving. His presence will very likely influence independent voters to move the Senate deeper into democratic control. So there’s that.