The Yes 4 Minneapolis charter amendment, explained

News and events of the day
bradman

The Yes 4 Minneapolis charter amendment, explained

Post by bradman »

This is a fair run down from beginning to end.......
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2021/08/3 ... -explained

And yet another Dem. speaks up....

https://patch.com/minnesota/southwestmi ... e-quesiton
Sen. Smith Explains Why She'll Vote 'No' On MPLS Police Question
MINNEAPOLIS — U.S. Sen. Tina Smith last week announced that she will be voting "no" on Minneapolis ballot question No. 2, which asks residents if they want to dismantle the city's police department and replace it with a new "Department of Public Safety."

"After many conversations, I have concluded that Amendment #2 does not address the core public safety challenges we face, and may well move us in the wrong direction," Smith said.

"While there is much I agree with in the Amendment, one component poses an insurmountable problem - the requirement that the new Department of Public Safety report to both the Mayor and the City Council. My own experience working in City Hall tells me that this change will exacerbate what is a deeply flawed city governance structure, where accountability, authority and lines of responsibility between the Mayor and City Council are diffused and dysfunctional."

Read Smith's full statement below:
(A correction....One of the articles i posted on the old board had Keith Ellison voting against Yes4Mpls. Not true. Ellison backs Yes4Mpls.)
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Libertas

Re: The Yes 4 Minneapolis charter amendment, explained

Post by Libertas »

Fire every cop or law enforcement person in America from city cops to the FBI and have them REAPPLY using a whole new system that puts issues like whether or not you are a racist, homophobe, misogynist, anti semite, etc. at the forefront of training and questions.

Some will get rehired, most wont. Do this over a 2 year period so there is no absence of force where needed.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Repeal and replace.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

The one thing the original MPR link didn't provide......

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/loc ... 4b443b79df
24/7 mobile mental health crisis teams to launch in Minneapolis next month
MINNEAPOLIS — At Fair State Brewing Cooperative in Northeast Minneapolis, staff members don't often call 911 in the taproom.
+
"There's someone having some kind of mental health emergency, or needs some kind of support that our taproom staff just aren't in a position to provide," Schmitz said. "They don't need a police response. They just need to be connected to services."

With that in mind, Fair State Brewing and nearly 100 other businesses sent a letter to the city in the months after George Floyd's murder last year, calling "for the formation of mobile mental health emergency response teams dispatched through 911 and available 24/7/365 for immediate in-person unarmed response."

"We felt there was a real gap," Schmitz said, "in what the city was providing."

This month, the city council answered that call by approving at least $6 million over two years for 24/7 Mobile Behavioral Health Crisis Response Teams, to be operated by Richfield-based Canopy Mental Health and Consulting. The city selected Canopy over three other candidates who had responded to the proposal for mobile crisis teams.
That link is from July.

This one is more recent......

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 600104644/
Police-free response created conflict
Mpls. and EMS officials disagreed on new mental health service.
Months later, in July, the city awarded Canopy Mental Health & Consulting a two-year, $6 million contract to provide the professionals who would respond to mental or behavioral health-related emergencies 24 hours a day. The Hennepin County Association of Paramedics and EMTs — the union that represents Hennepin County's paramedics, emergency medical technicians and emergency medical dispatchers — then accused city officials of pursuing the new program with little or no input from the union's health care first responders.
+
By February, Smith and Simpson moved from e-mails to a conference call with other members from their respective teams, including Hennepin EMS Chief Martin Scheerer and Assistant Chief Thomas Mayfield. From that call, an important question emerged, according to an e-mail sent afterward: "What does Hennepin EMS need to become a partner in this pilot program?"

Though the city's co-responder initiative with Hennepin County's Community Outreach for Psychiatric Emergencies program, or COPE, has been inactive since fall 2020, e-mails make clear that city officials were interested in maintaining a partnership with the county by having EMS respond to calls along with the new mental health provider. EMS was already responding to such calls, referred to by dispatchers as "emotionally disturbed persons" (EDP) calls, alongside Minneapolis Police Department officers, but OPI wanted to know whether the removal of police would prove a problem for EMS.

It did.

If officers weren't going to be present, Simpson asked OPI to clarify which types of calls EMS staff would be requested on once the new program launched.

"I think we could consider starting to establish some of these criteria to break up the large EDP category into those situations in which police need to respond, and those in which they don't," the director of city strategic management, Andrea Larson, wrote to EMS leaders in February. "For the latter, we would need to hear from you when you would be comfortable responding without police."
The EMS union have some questions.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

I think the EMT’s should have some input, PLUS the new Mental Health folks should be unionized.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:49 am I think the EMT’s should have some input, PLUS the new Mental Health folks should be unionized.
I think any one required to answer the call, especially if unarmed, should have some input.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:32 pm I think any one required to answer the call, especially if unarmed, should have some input.
Workers have always used unions to provide input into their working conditions in an organized and democratic manner. I think, with the HUGE exception of police unions, it's worked out quite well, don't you agree?
bradman

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:32 pm I think any one required to answer the call, especially if unarmed, should have some input.
There's the rub. The EMT union wanted clarification on safety procedures.

More to the point....
https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 600104644/
EMS was already responding to such calls, referred to by dispatchers as "emotionally disturbed persons" (EDP) calls, alongside Minneapolis Police Department officers, but OPI wanted to know whether the removal of police would prove a problem for EMS.

It did.
Now we are in a brand new pissing contest.

OPI wanted to eliminate police presence and the EMT union works closely with the police. Some scenes must be secured before the EMT's are allowed in. For safety sake.

An example would be the George Floyd Square back when it was a so called "autonomous zone". Because they wouldn't let the police enter the zone the EMT's also wouldn't enter the zone. When gun shots were fired the EMT's wanted to know they would be safe when entering that zone. Apparently they trust the police more than some rapper* guaranteeing safe passage to a gun shot victim within that zone.

*If i remember right, the same rapper that had previously been handing out weapons form his trunk to those within the zone.
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:49 am I think the EMT’s should have some input, PLUS the new Mental Health folks should be unionized.
Agreed.

Problem is, it's kinda difficult to organize/unionize a work force that doesn't exist yet.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

NATHANIEL RAKICH NOV. 2, 10:04 PM
The Associated Press has projected that City Question 2 in Minneapolis will fail, 57 percent to 43 percent. The city will keep its police department in a symbolic loss for the “defund the police” movement.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/2 ... d-results/

:|
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Unfortunately, the defund the police stain will hang on a bit longer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:38 pm Unfortunately, the defund the police stain will hang on a bit longer.
Defunding the police never even happened.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:45 pm Defunding the police never even happened.
Not for the lack of trying.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:48 pm Not for the lack of trying.
You don't have anyting to complain about. "Defund the police" is just another Emmanuel Goldstein for conservative dupes.

In fact, you should be more honest about how apathetic you are regarding police misconduct and killer cops without accountability. (I mean...just so long as police misconduct and killer cops without accountability is going against other people, and not you and yours.)

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:38 pm Unfortunately, the defund the police stain will hang on a bit longer.
And more to the point, with all the damage done, here we are back at square one. A year and a half wasted.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:13 am And more to the point, with all the damage done, here we are back at square one. A year and a half wasted.
Damage?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

Defund the police was mostly GOP op. It's not a huge thing but was made to appear so. It's just more fear based BS that the GOP operates on. They don't have a platform or set of policies for Americans other that pushing fear and lies.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
bradman

Post by bradman »

Drak wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:28 am Defund the police was mostly GOP op. It's not a huge thing but was made to appear so. It's just more fear based BS that the GOP operates on. They don't have a platform or set of policies for Americans other that pushing fear and lies.
All but 2 or 3 of the Mpls. council were for "defunding" the police. They were very vocal about it. They even went as far as taking 8 million from the police budget and awarded a 6 million dollar contract to Canopy Mental Health & Consulting, which they were hoping would be the vehicle to eliminate the police department. 6 months later, for some odd reason, those same council members voted to give the police department a 14 million dollar emergency infusion.

It was a bad plan and if the Dems don't change course we will lose 2022.
bradman

Post by bradman »

i keep falling back to this paragraph.....
https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... fresh=true
Though the city's co-responder initiative with Hennepin County's Community Outreach for Psychiatric Emergencies program, or COPE, has been inactive since fall 2020, e-mails make clear that city officials were interested in maintaining a partnership with the county by having EMS respond to calls along with the new mental health provider. EMS was already responding to such calls, referred to by dispatchers as "emotionally disturbed persons" (EDP) calls, alongside Minneapolis Police Department officers, but OPI wanted to know whether the removal of police would prove a problem for EMS.
Reactivate COPE and also bring Canopy Mental Health & Consulting into the loop. After all, Canopy Mental Health & Consulting still has over a year of their contract left.
Drak

Post by Drak »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:39 am All but 2 or 3 of the Mpls. council were for "defunding" the police. They were very vocal about it. They even went as far as taking 8 million from the police budget and awarded a 6 million dollar contract to Canopy Mental Health & Consulting, which they were hoping would be the vehicle to eliminate the police department. 6 months later, for some odd reason, those same council members voted to give the police department a 14 million dollar emergency infusion.

The Democratic Party as a whole does not support "Defund the Police." There are a host of problems facing the Democratic Party for 2022. It's hard to fight a disinformation network backed by big money pushing constant fear based lies and distractions.

bradman

Post by bradman »

Drak wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:02 am The Democratic Party as a whole does not support "Defund the Police." There are a host of problems facing the Democratic Party for 2022. It's hard to fight a disinformation network backed by big money pushing constant fear based lies and distractions.
i get that Drak. Unfortunately, the Democratic party, as a whole, are not very vocal when it comes to selling their opposition to Defund the Police. The GOP, of course, is taking advantage of that.
Drak

Post by Drak »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:10 am i get that Drak. Unfortunately, the Democratic party, as a whole, are not very vocal when it comes to selling their opposition to Defund the Police. The GOP, of course, is taking advantage of that.
It's extremely difficult if not impossible to combat disinformation when one party is backed by mega corporations and owns the MSM. And you're right, the Democratic Party doesn't seem to have the tools or solution to counter it. Human beings are easily swayed by fear and negativity, and when lies become on par with truth, Democracy dies. It's extremely difficult to counter authoritarian styled tactics.

Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:39 am All but 2 or 3 of the Mpls. council were for "defunding" the police. They were very vocal about it. They even went as far as taking 8 million from the police budget and awarded a 6 million dollar contract to Canopy Mental Health & Consulting, which they were hoping would be the vehicle to eliminate the police department. 6 months later, for some odd reason, those same council members voted to give the police department a 14 million dollar emergency infusion.

Knee jerk reactions are very dangerous in politics. And those reactions leave a stain that takes a few years to clean. Cities like Portland, Seattle, and Austin didn’t help.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:10 am i get that Drak. Unfortunately, the Democratic party, as a whole, are not very vocal when it comes to selling their opposition to Defund the Police. The GOP, of course, is taking advantage of that.
The Democratic Party was simply too scared to challenge the knee jerk reaction.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:44 am Knee jerk reactions are very dangerous in politics. And those reactions leave a stain that takes a few years to clean. Cities like Portland, Seattle, and Austin didn’t help.
These cities were used as right wing props during the protests, and for a reason. They were heavily infiltrated by right wing groups during the protests.