The GOP Snowflake Thread

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: The GOP Snowflake Thread

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:24 pm AS I educate myself on CRT, it reminds me a bit of Al Franken. He was accused of something he did not do by someone literally working for rightwing fascists. Anyone who knows him, including Randi Rhodes, will assure you he did not stick his tongue down the throat of ANY Woman other than his wife. But that truth didnt matter because righty is despicable. It does not matter what CRT actually is, once the right LIED about what it is and where it is taught or NOT, it was all over.
CRT is not at all comparable to Al Franken. Al Franken resigned and said "investigate me." Tmk no investigation ever happened. Completely different situation.

CRT has been around since the late 70s and is a whole field of study with a large body of work/writings over the decades. There's nothing to investigate and no issues of sexual misconduct.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:31 pm CRT is not at all comparable to Al Franken. Al Franken resigned and said "investigate me." Tmk no investigation ever happened. Completely different situation.

CRT has been around since the late 70s and is a whole field of study with a large body of work/writings over the decades. There's nothing to investigate and no issues of sexual misconduct.
I guess I meant the use of the issue by the right, where there is no issue in the first place, more or less. But I stand corrected.
I sigh in your general direction.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:27 pm Of course it's fine for a watercarrier for noose-knotters.
“When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.” -- Herman Wouk
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:39 pm “When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.” -- Herman Wouk
Except nobody here is running around screaming or shouting.

Nobody around here is in danger or doubt, either. Is this the best rationalization you’ve got for your white conservatism?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:03 pm Montana hasn't ever been anything but a red state. At least not for more than 30 years.

:|

They do what Virginia does, often voting in a Democrat for their Governor opposite of what the party is who is holding the Presidency at that time. They usually have one Democrat and one Republican senator as well so they can scoop up additional pork all the time. But that doesn't make them anything but Red, they're just a bit smarter about voting strategically, sucking up that extra pork for their state. They play both ends against the middle.

Virginia hasn't done anything unusual. They've continued to do what they always do going back all the way to the time of Ronald Reagan.

This wasn't an upset, it was just their way. A predictable outcome.

Good bet those Montana Democratic office holders are in the Blue Dog arena
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:46 pm Except nobody here is running around screaming or shouting.

Nobody around here is in danger or doubt, either. Is this the best rationalization you’ve got for your white conservatism?
There are a couple people saying "defund the police" often though trying to imply our candidates approve or more importantly that it is in the DNC platform which it is NOT and never has been.

Personally, I think we should fire every cop anywhere in America and rehire them using an entirely new method of screening, do it over 3 yrs so you lose no numbers in force. What percentage of cops existing today would be rehired if they had to show they were not racists or bigoted of violent?

I am guessing about 35%.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:50 pm There are a couple people saying "defund the police" often though trying to imply our candidates approve or more importantly that it is in the DNC platform which it is NOT and never has been.

Personally, I think we should fire every cop anywhere in America and rehire them using an entirely new method of screening, do it over 3 yrs so you lose no numbers in force. What percentage of cops existing today would be rehired if they had to show they were not racists or bigoted of violent?

I am guessing about 35%.
Yes I am totally for defunding/repealing/replacing But it’s not a viable matter in the two-party system.

These conservative whites are just looking for a pretext to jerk their knees, even if they have to make it up. Their main pi’s that they’re pro-police violence, police unions, police killings, and police brutality.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

Libertas wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:50 pm There are a couple people saying "defund the police" often though trying to imply our candidates approve or more importantly that it is in the DNC platform which it is NOT and never has been.

I am guessing about 35%.
My thought on that is to stick to mandate that they get vaccinated or get fired. I would imagine that alone would largely clean out most of the ones we want to be removed.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:11 pm My thought on that is to stick to mandate that they get vaccinated or get fired. I would imagine that alone would largely clean out most of the ones we want to be removed.
?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:11 pm My thought on that is to stick to mandate that they get vaccinated or get fired. I would imagine that alone would largely clean out most of the ones we want to be removed.
Not really. They don't put their money where their mouth is. NYC only had to put, like, 43 cops on leave. In the end, they don't let it affect their paycheck.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:18 pm?
We : I and the rest of a group that includes me : you and I : you and I and another or others : I and another or others not including you —used as pronoun of the first person plural
:)

Dictionaries are useful.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:25 pmDictionaries are useful.
Your paternalism and misoginoir tells what you are.

What do YOU mean by “we?”

You’re too good for the rest of us, remember?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

I'm not for defunding the police because that's a misnomer. It's about ensuring they have actual resources to do their job, make them accountable for when they're wrong or do wrong, and to provide funding for services to assist the police like sociologists, psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, etc.. to assist the police to deescalate incidents.

I am guessing about 35%.
If you fire 1/3 of the cops every year you still lose 1/3 of the cops and there's no guarantee they'll want to be rehired by the same department. New hires from other departments will have to be trained on local police departments policies and procedures meaning they'll be teamed with a veteran cop for an interim period of time.

How would you, as a person in the city who hires police determine if someone is a racist, bigot, or violent?
How would you, as a cop seeking to be hired, prove you're not a racist, bigoted, or violent?
When you vote left, you vote right.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Number6 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:15 pm I'm not for defunding the police because that's a misnomer. It's about ensuring they have actual resources to do their job, make them accountable for when they're wrong or do wrong, and to provide funding for services to assist the police like sociologists, psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, etc.. to assist the police to deescalate incidents.

If you fire 1/3 of the cops every year you still lose 1/3 of the cops and there's no guarantee they'll want to be rehired by the same department. New hires from other departments will have to be trained on local police departments policies and procedures meaning they'll be teamed with a veteran cop for an interim period of time.

How would you, as a person in the city who hires police determine if someone is a racist, bigot, or violent?
How would you, as a cop seeking to be hired, prove you're not a racist, bigoted, or violent?
The entire institution is racist, bigoted, and violent. The horrendous performance of PD after PD is the result of at least 30 years of reforms after Rodney King.

This can’t be reformed.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:27 pm The entire institution is racist, bigoted, and violent. The horrendous performance of PD after PD is the result of at least 30 years of reforms after Rodney King.

This can’t be reformed.
So, what's the solution?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Number6 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:45 pm So, what's the solution?
There isn’t one single solution because it’s an impacted, multifaceted problem with deep historic roots.

It’s a waste of time trying to find out whether some yahoo in uniform is individually “a racist,” or whatever.

Even the FBI understands that there is a serious and very dangerous problem of white supremacists and white nationalists in law enforcement. But the larger culture is in deep denial of not just that particular problem. Oath Keepers and other militia types tried to overthrow the government at the beginning of the year. It’s also an issue the military.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Ted »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:47 pm Good bet those Montana Democratic office holders are in the Blue Dog arena
Most midwestern Democrats - many Blue Dogs - wouldn't be recognized as Democrats in many heavily populated areas. My parents were lifelong Democrats and their politics parted ways with the politics of the party sometime in the late 80s.

South Dakota had three Democrats in D.C. not too many years ago and I voted for all of them. I believe it will be quite a while before another SD(D) get sent to D.C.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:54 pm There isn’t one single solution because it’s an impacted, multifaceted problem with deep historic roots.
If, as you put it, "The entire institution is racist, bigoted, and violent" then what steps are needed to reform the police department.
It’s a waste of time trying to find out whether some yahoo in uniform is individually “a racist,” or whatever.
I don't think there should be a department examining every cop's social media, utterings, etc., to see if they're racist, bigoted, or violent. However, someone in the police department or preferably within city government should be responsible when allegations of such are made against a cop.
Even the FBI understands that there is a serious and very dangerous problem of white supremacists and white nationalists in law enforcement. But the larger culture is in deep denial of not just that particular problem. Oath Keepers and other militia types tried to overthrow the government at the beginning of the year. It’s also an issue the military.
I agree there is a problem but just keeping repeating that it's a problem without offering a solution does nothing to correct the problem.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Number6 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:05 pm If, as you put it, "The entire institution is racist, bigoted, and violent" then what steps are needed to reform the police department.

I don't think there should be a department examining every cop's social media, utterings, etc., to see if they're racist, bigoted, or violent. However, someone in the police department or preferably within city government should be responsible when allegations of such are made against a cop.

I agree there is a problem but just keeping repeating that it's a problem without offering a solution does nothing to correct the problem.
Correcting the problem starts with understanding that it’s not just one simple problem with one simple solution.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

New York State Democratic Party Didn't Fund Proposals to Increase Voting Access

The New York State Democratic Party offered no funding to encourage voters to support three ballot proposals that would've expanded ballot access. All three proposals were defeated in the state's Tuesday election.

New York Democratic Party Chairman Jay Jacobs said that political campaign committees and associated groups advocating for the propositions never contacted the state party to request support, according to The Times-Union. Had the groups requested it, he added, the state party would've provided financial assistance, Jacobs said.

https://www.newsweek.com/new-york-state ... ss-1645732
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

ON THE EVENING of Oct. 30, 2016, at Talking Stick Resort Arena in downtown Phoenix, Earl Watson, in just his third game as the Suns' head coach, faced a tall task: beat the powerhouse Golden State Warriors.

The young Phoenix Suns team had been toiling at the bottom of the NBA's standings for years, missing the playoffs for six straight seasons while churning through head coaches. Watson was the fourth in as many years. Still, the Suns were playing the eventual NBA champions close, even leading by 13 in the first half. But it didn't last. The Warriors took control in the fourth quarter and cemented a 106-100 win, dropping the Suns to 0-3.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/324 ... m-misogyny
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Trump-loving Florida congressional candidate is a convicted felon who's not eligible to hold office: report

An "America First" Republican congressional candidate in Florida reportedly is a convicted felon who failed to get his civil rights restored — which is a requirement to hold public office.

Jason Mariner won Tuesday's primary in Florida's 20th Congressional District, which is heavily Democratic, Florida Politics reports, citing interviews and records showing that the new GOP nominee has not gone through Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis' new clemency process for ex-felons.

https://www.rawstory.com/jason-mariner-florida/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

They're total scumbags

FBI searches Project Veritas personnel in investigation into Ashley Biden’s stolen diary

The FBI has conducted multiple searches of people tied to the conservative political group Project Veritas, part of a probe into how parts of President Biden’s daughter Ashley’s diary were disclosed to the public without her consent in the final days of the 2020 election.

Justice Department agents conducted two searches on Thursday in the New York City area, The New York Times reported, citing two unnamed sources with familiarity in the matter.

https://news.yahoo.com/fbi-searches-pro ... 50571.html
ap215

Post by ap215 »

You'll be sorry America

Paleologos on the Poll: Republicans hold notable advantage heading into 2022

Joe Biden’s low approval rating not only impacted recent elections in Virginia and New Jersey, it also could spell doom for Democrats in the upcoming midterms and even impact Biden’s ability to run for re-election, according to a USA TODAY/Suffolk University poll taken of registered voters immediately following those elections last Tuesday night.

The poll is a historic low point for the Biden administration, no matter how you look at it. Biden’s 38% approval rating (59% disapproval) is lower than any Suffolk University/USA TODAY poll taken since he took office. Notably, it is also lower than the 41% approve (55% disapprove) statistic our team recorded in August – in the chaos preceding the United States’ withdrawal of personnel from Afghanistan.

https://news.yahoo.com/paleologos-poll- ... 43438.html
ap215

Post by ap215 »

McConnell: 2022 midterms will be 'very good election for Republicans'

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is predicting Republicans will have a “very good election” next year, implying the party has a good chance of taking both chambers of Congress.

The GOP winning control of both the House and Senate in 2022 would bring President Biden's agenda to a grinding halt.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/580 ... epublicans