Thor Love & Thunder

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
ProfX

Thor Love & Thunder

Post by ProfX »

Trailer Drop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog9HY_uGeo

Yeah, it's Multi-Madness that's grabbing all the media oxygen. WHO ARE THE CAMEOS? Deadpool? Wolverine? Jean Grey? Reed Richards? Prof X!?! :D "Superior" Iron Man? Captain Marvel? Captain Carter? Loki? Kang? Some version of Spidey (but will anybody remember him? Maybe in another universe!) Who's the big villain (besides or behind Wanda, anyway?) Chthon, Mephisto, Nightmare? How many versions of himself will Strange run into? :mrgreen:

But we finally get a trailer for "Love & Thunder". What I get from this:

Thor is still questioning where he wants to find his place in the universe. We can see his original idea of hitching a ride with Quill & the Guardians may not be working for him. He seems tired of war, he plants Bjarnborn/Stormbreaker in the dirt. However, he has shed the excess "Fat Thor" pounds, and looks like Rocket may have made him a nice artificial eye. Meanwhile, Valkyrie also looks tired of being Queen of New Asgard, all it's getting her is boring meetings with bureaucrats. And there's Korg! Awesome, Korg always brings the deadpan humor and the accent I love. :mrgreen:

Not shown in the trailer, but well known to all the "buzz sites" and if you know the comics, obvious from the trailer, the villain will be Gorr the god-butcher, who has a god-killing dark sword (kind of his Stormbringer, I guess.) Gorr has a grudge against the gods (who doesn't), but he's decided for them failing this universe, they need to die. This may bring Thor out of retirement. I notice he's got his space-goats now pulling his space boat, that's cool, it's taken right from Norse mythology. You also see him on Mt. Olympus, complete with Zeus. (Are we finally going to see MCU Hercules?) So maybe Gorr is also going after the Greek gods. And now that they've introduced the Egyptian gods into the MCU with Khonshu/Moon Knight ... are they threatened also?

But the big reveal moment ... and again the one that's not a surprise if you've kept your ears to the buzz train ... Jane Foster Thor, wielding a restored Mjolnir. Maybe breaking up with her wasn't such a good idea, eh? :mrgreen: (In the comics, Jane actually got Mjolnir when Thor lost his ability to wield it because he stopped being worthy, but then as she was suffering from cancer, but was worthy, she picked it up and was healed.)

The rumors are, as the MCU keeps switching things up, "our" Odinson (Chris H) Thor might ... "retire" ... after this film ... but Jane will take up the mantle. A female Thor might make the RWGeeks lose their shit as much as the Black Captain America. Guess we'll see. She-Hulk and Ironheart (a black female Iron ... Woman) ... are also coming.

Oh and that Ms. Marvel trailer! Hope the RWGeeks can deal with a brown female Muslim super heroine ... even she jokes "it's not brown girls from Jersey City who save the world" ... although she might just do that.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Re: Thor Love & Thunder

Post by ProfX »

First "official" trailer as opposed to teaser has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8nTmfrQd8

Gotta love Korg narrating the story. :D

Dunno, I really get this impression the Guardians of the Galaxy are not going to be in much of this, seems like Thor & them part ways early. Despite the ending of Endgame. Confirms (was well known already) Gorr the god-butcher is the main villain.

Mjolnir is back but it seems to prefer to be in the hands of Lady Thor (Jane Foster). How it got reconstructed, how she got it ... guess we will find out.

There's some buzz Man-Thor may retire, and let Jane/Lady Thor take over active duty. Boy, this will get the MAGAnerds foaming if it happens.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
bird

Post by bird »

ProfX wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:32 pm First "official" trailer as opposed to teaser has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8nTmfrQd8

Gotta love Korg narrating the story. :D

Dunno, I really get this impression the Guardians of the Galaxy are not going to be in much of this, seems like Thor & them part ways early. Despite the ending of Endgame. Confirms (was well known already) Gorr the god-butcher is the main villain.

Mjolnir is back but it seems to prefer to be in the hands of Lady Thor (Jane Foster). How it got reconstructed, how she got it ... guess we will find out.

There's some buzz Man-Thor may retire, and let Jane/Lady Thor take over active duty. Boy, this will get the MAGAnerds foaming if it happens.
Love the trailer! Looking forward to it. And Charlize Theron as Clea? That looked interesting.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Let's face it ... he's better off with a fellow Sorceress Supreme like Clea ... Christine (even the alternate version) would never fit into the "madness" of his life. They both know it.

P.S. ... spoiler warning for all who still haven't seen it (MoM) ...

... you never saw Wanda's body. MCU Rule 1. Plus Elizabeth Olson is already talking about future projects. No way we've seen the last of her in the MCU. :D I happen to think she needs and deserves a redemption arc. She did some horrible stuff, but Chthon and the Darkhold literally made her do it.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Final Trailer drop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXcTl0I8ExI

I think one thing about this is fairly deceptive. I love that the film will feature lots of Korg. It can't have enough Korg. :D

However, pretty much all sources are hinting the role the Guardians of the Galaxy will play in the film is really small. Thor and them will part ways fairly early in the first third of the film. The trailer appears to be hinting otherwise, which maybe it's doing for fan service reasons. Anyway, they just are not going to play a major role. Valkyrie and Jane-Thor (and Korg) will.

Chris Hemsworth seems to be going back and forth over whether this will be his bow-out from the MCU. I'm hoping (unlike the comics) Jane-Thor doesn't either die from cancer or be forced to give up her gig because of it. I also doubt Chris-Thor will die, or retire, but again, the actor is making weirdly equivocal statements about this to the press. First he said he wanted to bow out, then he was begging to be in Deadpool 3. :D

Guess we'll see.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Big fan of Taika Waititi and the "What We Do In The Shadows" movie and FX show and the new HBO sitcom

"Our Flag Means Death"

I see he directed Thor and has a part. And he is going to direct a new Star Wars.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

See "JoJo Rabbit" if you get the chance.

It's a coming of age story. Young boy growing up, strives to fit in, invents imaginary friend to help guide him through life.

Except: it's Nazi Germany in the 30s and 40s, and his imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler ... played by Taika.

Yes, it's comedic, but does justice to the complexity and tragedy of the topic, and what drives Jojo's coming of age is his family is hiding a Jewish girl from the authorities, and he's realizing (despite what his imaginary pal says) she's human too. Oh and he's falling in love with her, and this is making him question everything.

There's a happy ending. At least for Jojo and the girl, anyway. Again, worth seeing.
gounion

Post by gounion »

YouTube reviewer Grace Randolf dropped a video this morning. She's seen the movie - but there's a review embargo until July 5th. So, she's talking about the "business aspect". She says this movie is an advertisement for Thor 5 - that it is an open-ended setup for the next movie. She does say there's big changes for Thor. She also says there are two end-credit scenes, and they are epic.

I don't think Hemsworth is done. Not by a longshot. Downy had to go - he was aging out. I think Evans felt his character had done all it could, and that's why he wanted out. But Hemsworth is 38, and got a few more movies in him.

Been watching Ms. Marvel, and love it! Three episodes down, three to go!
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

So, here's the deal. In the comics, Jane-Thor got to wield Mjolnir, in part because of her struggle against cancer; but the problem is while holding it, she was cancer-free (at least from its symptoms), but it also prevented her cancer from being treated. So she was kinda presented the dilemma of being fem-Thor or dying ... my hope: though they are borrowing from the comics, she will overcome this, and we'll see her in the future. Maybe overcoming the cancer and remaining a hero(ine).

The thing is, some were wondering if she might sub for Chris-Thor, as he takes a siesta (if she overcomes this in a different way than in the comics). Kinda like Falcon-Cap did for Cap, Kate Bishop for Hawkeye, or in the future Ironheart and War Machine will do for Iron Man. We'll see where they wind up at the end of the film.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:35 am See "JoJo Rabbit" if you get the chance.

It's a coming of age story. Young boy growing up, strives to fit in, invents imaginary friend to help guide him through life.

Except: it's Nazi Germany in the 30s and 40s, and his imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler ... played by Taika.

Yes, it's comedic, but does justice to the complexity and tragedy of the topic, and what drives Jojo's coming of age is his family is hiding a Jewish girl from the authorities, and he's realizing (despite what his imaginary pal says) she's human too. Oh and he's falling in love with her, and this is making him question everything.

There's a happy ending. At least for Jojo and the girl, anyway. Again, worth seeing.
thanks, started it a couple times, didn't finish...He wrote it I think. Gonna finish it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Also, Taiki Watiti said the other day on a talk show that in the "flick" scene, in the movie, Hemsworth's butt is NOT pixilated!
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:58 pm Also, Taiki Watiti said the other day on a talk show that in the "flick" scene, in the movie, Hemsworth's butt is NOT pixilated!
:lol:

Saw that interview.

Have you or anyone else here seen "Our Flag Means Death?"
gounion

Post by gounion »

Looks like we've got your answer, Prof. Hemsworth is down for more. Via Screen Rant:
I love it, I love it. I'll come back for more and more until someone kicks me off the stage, you know. I love it. My whole career has been based around me playing this character and to come back again and again and play it with different directors and different casts has been an absolute joy. And, yeah, we'll see what the fans want, and I don't know, I'm down for whatever is enjoyable and having a good time. That's what this experience in the Marvel world has been for me, so bring it on.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

So, it seems pretty clear (Chris-)Thor won't die, and based on buzz I'm hearing, won't retire either. Grace seems to not be the only one suggesting the film sets up its own sequel. I'm trying to avoid spoilers on the post credit scenes, but folks are saying the 2nd one is ... uh, epic.

The thing is, Jane-Thor in the comics died from her cancer ... (and was resurrected ... but had to give up the hammer.) I'm hoping we're not done with her. Also, of course, everybody is wondering, especially given the title of the film, whether their relationship rekindles. I'm kinda hoping this isn't the last we'll see of her either. (Fine, I'll admit one reason is Natalie Portman being easy on my eyes.)

As always ... guess we'll find out. Folks who have seen the "special" premiere like my boy Cosmic Wonder are raving, so I think it's gonna be good. I trust his instincts. :D

There's even rumors Beta Ray Bill has a cameo. That would just be wild. :mrgreen: (Google him if ya don't know who he is.)