Walmart Profit Margin

News and events of the day
Glennfs
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:54 pm

Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Glennfs »

Walmart Inc https://g.co/kgs/iRfoMz

Walmart's profit margin is only 2.33pct.
Which is 2.33 cents on the dollar.

It isnt like they are a ATM machine that has endless profit to spend. They work on very small margins and have to watch every penny
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
User avatar
Libertas
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Libertas »

sigh, the actual Walmart number is

https://www.google.com/search?q=walmart ... e&ie=UTF-8


24.3%

and the NET profit margin which is in single figures is manipulated for tax reasons, it is AFTER they pay all kinds of huge salaries and other benefits.

Most corps seek a ZERO net profit margin for tax purposes, that is how business works.
Image
Glennfs
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:54 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Glennfs »

Libertas wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:47 pm sigh, the actual Walmart number is

https://www.google.com/search?q=walmart ... e&ie=UTF-8


24.3%

and the NET profit margin which is in single figures is manipulated for tax reasons, it is AFTER they pay all kinds of huge salaries and other benefits.
Your numbers are gross profit numbers

The numbers I posted are net profit margins.

Net numbers are your true margin not gross
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
User avatar
Libertas
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Libertas »

Net profit closer to zero means less or no taxes. Corps seek to be as close to zero as they can.

My very profitable corp for many years sought to have ZERO net profits so we wouldnt have to pay corp taxes.

Many ways to give yourself that money so you dont have to pay tax on it. Or if you give yourself a bonus depending on the type, you may pay income tax on it.
The scum who own Walmart spend the profit on themselves, not the employees.

For instance if we were going to have too much profit, buy a new Escalade.

Our board con is self employed, he knows how this works. I said my corp, I was one of two.
Image
gounion
Posts: 4036
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by gounion »

Great point, Lib. Glenn DOES know how it works, but he's pretending otherwise. Walmart doesn't want to show much net profit, so they dole the money to shareholders (read: the Waltons) first, There's a reason they are six of the ten most wealthy people in America.
Bludogdem
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:34 pm Great point, Lib. Glenn DOES know how it works, but he's pretending otherwise. Walmart doesn't want to show much net profit, so they dole the money to shareholders (read: the Waltons) first, There's a reason they are six of the ten most wealthy people in America.
So $559 billion total revenue, $20 billion pretax income, $6.8 billion in taxes for 2021.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/wmt/financials?ltr=1

And now an explanation of accounting and tax rules.

Payments to shareholders, dividends, are after tax and not an expense item. Does not reduce Walmarts tax liability.

Stock buybacks are not an expense item and do not reduce tax liability.

When Walmart pays the ceo $21 million, $19+ in stock awards, he pays 40% in income taxes to the federal government. That’s considerably more income than the max 21% C corporations pay.
User avatar
Libertas
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:34 pm Great point, Lib. Glenn DOES know how it works, but he's pretending otherwise. Walmart doesn't want to show much net profit, so they dole the money to shareholders (read: the Waltons) first, There's a reason they are six of the ten most wealthy people in America.
Yeah, the stocks and shareholders isn't one of the ways they dispose of profit so they dont have to pay tax.

When they pay bonuses to officers or employees then it reduces your bottom line, and in some cases we would use K-1 distributions to avoid some tax. Regular bonuses are taxed as earned income.

Mostly what you do is SPEND the money before you pay tax on it, before you get to the bottom line. Some corps do this in a GREEN and employee supportive way, others like Walmart do the opposite.

Our family corp, sort of, would also give bonuses to all the employees at the end of the year, even further reducing our tax liability. My biz partner HATED paying corp taxes, and complained about it ALL the time :lol:

I have always said they could do away with the corp tax and just make rich people pay their fair share and call ALL income earned income. No capital gains tax breaks, etc.

Why in the FUCK are we even talking about this, another attempt by a right winger to create disinformation about something.

In this case to try to create the lie that Walmart is somehow not a big profit company and therefore they must be forgiven for their behavior. :lol:
Image
Glennfs
Posts: 2234
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:54 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Glennfs »

gounion wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:34 pm Great point, Lib. Glenn DOES know how it works, but he's pretending otherwise. Walmart doesn't want to show much net profit, so they dole the money to shareholders (read: the Waltons) first, There's a reason they are six of the ten most wealthy people in America.
Payments to shareholders and dividends are after tax not before tax.
Also the taxes those shareholders pay on those dividends is higher than the corporate tax rate.
Fact is retail stores like Walmart Target etc and Grocery Stores operate on a very small profit margin.
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
gounion
Posts: 4036
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by gounion »

Glennfs wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:08 pm Payments to shareholders and dividends are after tax not before tax.
Also the taxes those shareholders pay on those dividends is higher than the corporate tax rate.
Fact is retail stores like Walmart Target etc and Grocery Stores operate on a very small profit margin.
If it runs suuuuch a small margin, then exactly HOW are six of the ten richest people in America Waltons? Hmmmmm?
User avatar
Libertas
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:48 pm If it runs suuuuch a small margin, then exactly HOW are six of the ten richest people in America Waltons? Hmmmmm?
Ask him to provide a link to his comments in that post. I think he is confusing pass through income and capital gains and a few other things.

Ask him how are stock sales profits taxed.
Image
JoeMemphis
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:25 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by JoeMemphis »

Libertas wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 pm Yeah, the stocks and shareholders isn't one of the ways they dispose of profit so they dont have to pay tax.

When they pay bonuses to officers or employees then it reduces your bottom line, and in some cases we would use K-1 distributions to avoid some tax. Regular bonuses are taxed as earned income.

Mostly what you do is SPEND the money before you pay tax on it, before you get to the bottom line. Some corps do this in a GREEN and employee supportive way, others like Walmart do the opposite.

Our family corp, sort of, would also give bonuses to all the employees at the end of the year, even further reducing our tax liability. My biz partner HATED paying corp taxes, and complained about it ALL the time :lol:

I have always said they could do away with the corp tax and just make rich people pay their fair share and call ALL income earned income. No capital gains tax breaks, etc.

Why in the FUCK are we even talking about this, another attempt by a right winger to create disinformation about something.

In this case to try to create the lie that Walmart is somehow not a big profit company and therefore they must be forgiven for their behavior. :lol:
So you complain that Walmart doesn’t pay its employees enough and then criticize them for paying bonuses. You say it’s because Walmart is seeking to reduce its taxable income but what you don’t mention is that bonus income is taxed at the employee level as earned income, often at a higher rate.

What bad behavior is it that you are referencing? Paying their employees or paying taxes?
gounion
Posts: 4036
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:10 pm So you complain that Walmart doesn’t pay its employees enough and then criticize them for paying bonuses. You say it’s because Walmart is seeking to reduce its taxable income but what you don’t mention is that bonus income is taxed at the employee level as earned income, often at a higher rate.

What bad behavior is it that you are referencing? Paying their employees or paying taxes?
I know, if they give million upon millions to those at the top, you consider that "paying the employees". :lol: :lol: :lol:

To hell with those at the bottom. And no, $15 an hour still isn't a living wage.
User avatar
Libertas
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Libertas »

Cant imagine Walmart paying bonuses to hourly workers in the first place, but they would be next to nothing probably and now dont exist
Does Walmart give bonuses to hourly employees?
Walmart will end its quarterly employee bonus program after raising base pay by $1 an hour. On Thursday, Walmart said, it's ending quarterly bonuses, which have been paid to employees for decades and would raise its starting wage to $12 an hour, up from $11.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/09/walmart ... base%20pay.

a $1 an hour, what pricks. It is the bonuses to executives and officers OF COURSE that I was talking about. Most dont pay bonuses at all or of any consequence to the working stiffs. But then, most corps dont hire Americans anymore anyway so I guess it doesnt matter, does it. Or almost any corp who can will go out of their way to outsource the job out of America.

Walmart is horrible, but the other retailers arent much better. Working people get fucked all the time.

Many companies have raised wages and sweetened perks as they try to attract and retain workers in a competitive labor market — but Walmart has lagged behind other retailers like Target and Amazon that have already hiked their starting pay to $15 an hour.
Last edited by Libertas on Wed May 18, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Libertas
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Libertas »

How ANYONE can DEFEND these corps and their brass is beyond me

The top 1% owned a record 32.3% of the nation's wealth as of the end of 2021, data show. The share of wealth held by the bottom 90% of Americans, likewise, has declined slightly since before the pandemic, from 30.5% to 30.2%.Apr 1, 2022

Richest 1% gained $6.5 trillion in wealth last year - CNBC
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/01/richest ... %2030.2%25.


https://people.com/human-interest/50-ri ... e-country/


50 Richest Americans Almost Have More Money Than Half the Country — and COVID-19 Played a Role



FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKk off, fuck you and go AWAY :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Why are we talking about this? Why would any normal person DEFEND THESE FUCKERS
no wonder America is broken. :twisted:
Image
JoeMemphis
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:25 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:19 pm I know, if they give million upon millions to those at the top, you consider that "paying the employees". :lol: :lol: :lol:

To hell with those at the bottom. And no, $15 an hour still isn't a living wage.
From a taxation point of view, yes. It’s paying employees and the same dollar taxed at say 21% at the corp level might be taxed at a higher marginal rate to the individual employee. That was Libs point was that somehow The US government wasn’t getting its share of tax dollars. But those dollars do get taxed at either the corp level or at the individual level.
User avatar
Libertas
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Libertas »

I am all for bonuses to working people.

Eliminate the corp tax and make ALL income regardless of how it is gained taxed as earned income. And OF COURSE it would require a change and OF COURSE all cons would oppose it and maybe a third of the democrats.

And NOT ALL of it is taxed, corps spend money in very creative ways on themselves NOT to pay taxes. The new Escalade is just one example. Corp jets and other ways to enjoy the money but not take it as cash and pay tax.

How about INVEST the money in AMERICAN workers and ECOLOGICAL cleanliness? Never, right?
Last edited by Libertas on Wed May 18, 2022 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
JoeMemphis
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:25 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by JoeMemphis »

Libertas wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:36 pm I am all for bonuses to working people.

Eliminate the corp tax and make ALL income regardless of how it is gained taxed as earned income.

And NOT ALL of it is taxed, corps spend money in very creative ways on themselves NOT to pay taxes. The new Escalade is just one example. Corp jets and other ways to enjoy the money but not take it as cash and pay tax.

How about INVEST the money in AMERICAN workers and ECOLOGICAL cleanliness? Never, right?
That would involve a change in the tax code. I suspect you couldn’t even get your party to agree to such a proposal. Eliminate the tax and tax everything is a contradiction.
gounion
Posts: 4036
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:34 pm From a taxation point of view, yes. It’s paying employees and the same dollar taxed at say 21% at the corp level might be taxed at a higher marginal rate to the individual employee. That was Libs point was that somehow The US government wasn’t getting its share of tax dollars. But those dollars do get taxed at either the corp level or at the individual level.
Yeah, all you care about is those at the top getting theirs. You have no problem with Walmart spending years forcing companies to shut down American factories paying good wages to people across the country, and offshore those factories to places using child and slave labor to give Walmart better prices so the Waltons can be richer than Midas ever dreamed.

And you think this is a great thing.
User avatar
Libertas
Posts: 2936
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:06 pm Yeah, all you care about is those at the top getting theirs. You have no problem with Walmart spending years forcing companies to shut down American factories paying good wages to people across the country, and offshore those factories to places using child and slave labor to give Walmart better prices so the Waltons can be richer than Midas ever dreamed.

And you think this is a great thing.
He loves it. It doesnt impact his life directly, that he knows of, and he loves it. The reason the cons worship the walton types is they want to be like them and they know we despise them, they know DECENT people despise them.

The damage done to this nation by the waltons and others like them is incalculable. Amazon is about to eliminate ALL competition and con will love that. Until it harms him financially, that is.
Image
JoeMemphis
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:25 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:06 pm Yeah, all you care about is those at the top getting theirs. You have no problem with Walmart spending years forcing companies to shut down American factories paying good wages to people across the country, and offshore those factories to places using child and slave labor to give Walmart better prices so the Waltons can be richer than Midas ever dreamed.

And you think this is a great thing.
Nah. Didn’t mention any of that. I just talked about the tax aspect. The rest of that shit was all you once again telling other people what they think.
Bludogdem
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:48 pm If it runs suuuuch a small margin, then exactly HOW are six of the ten richest people in America Waltons? Hmmmmm?
It’s three and they’re ranked 11, 12, and 13.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/

And they’re rich because Walton Enterprise LLC owns 48-50% of Walmart stock. And the Walton family owns Walton Enterprise LLC.

And the Walmart stock has significant value because investors like stability, consistency. Innovation, investment in the business and an uninterrupted history of stock dividends. Regardless of the small profit margin.
gounion
Posts: 4036
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:39 pm It’s three and they’re ranked 11, 12, and 13.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/

And they’re rich because Walton Enterprise LLC owns 48-50% of Walmart stock. And the Walton family owns Walton Enterprise LLC.

And the Walmart stock has significant value because investors like stability, consistency. Innovation, investment in the business and an uninterrupted history of stock dividends. Regardless of the small profit margin.
There was a time they were six of the top ten. Reality.

And they are rich off of offshore slave and child labor, and they are a big reason that our factories have all offshored.

Just ask the man who said no to Walmart. https://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-w ... o-wal-mart
Bludogdem
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:16 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:09 pm There was a time they were six of the top ten. Reality.

And they are rich off of offshore slave and child labor, and they are a big reason that our factories have all offshored.

Just ask the man who said no to Walmart. https://www.fastcompany.com/54763/man-w ... o-wal-mart
“ Briggs & Stratton Corp. said Thursday that three of its Snapper brand walk lawn mower models will be sold at Walmart beginning this month.

The Snapper mowers join the Murray brand walk mower lineup introduced last year at Walmart, as well as a new Murray handheld line for 2013, said Jeff Coad, vice president of marketing, Briggs & Stratton Products Group.

The Snapper mowers are manufactured in cooperation with one of Briggs & Stratton’s engine customers. All walk and ride mowers sold at Walmart feature Briggs & Stratton engines that, along with the mowers themselves, are assembled in the United States, the company said.

Snapper dealers will also sell these walk mower models and offer service for Walmart-purchased walk mowers.“

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/n ... atton.html
gounion
Posts: 4036
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:29 am “ Briggs & Stratton Corp. said Thursday that three of its Snapper brand walk lawn mower models will be sold at Walmart beginning this month.

The Snapper mowers join the Murray brand walk mower lineup introduced last year at Walmart, as well as a new Murray handheld line for 2013, said Jeff Coad, vice president of marketing, Briggs & Stratton Products Group.

The Snapper mowers are manufactured in cooperation with one of Briggs & Stratton’s engine customers. All walk and ride mowers sold at Walmart feature Briggs & Stratton engines that, along with the mowers themselves, are assembled in the United States, the company said.

Snapper dealers will also sell these walk mower models and offer service for Walmart-purchased walk mowers.“

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/n ... atton.html
Yep. Walmart won. Reality check:
Wondering if Snapper’s lawn equipment and outdoor power products are made in the USA? As a global brand, we engineer and design our products in the United States, however we have supply and production partners all over the world.

For select walk mowers, tractors and zero turn mowers available through our independent dealer channel, the Snapper brand takes pride in manufacturing in America. These Snapper mowers are made in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Sherrill, New York.

Additional product lines like outdoor power products, snow throwers and our electric lines are produced with our trusted partners in China under our rigorous design and testing standards.

As a part of the Briggs & Stratton, Snapper headquarters is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The American company provides more than 3,000 American jobs, assembling Briggs engines in plants throughout the United States.
In other words, at the moment, final assembly of SOME products are still done in America from parts made in China.

And you can bet that the mowers sold today in Walmart aren't the quality that is detailed in the Fast Company article. But money is much more important than the pride of workmanship detailed by Weir.

Of course, Briggs and Stratton bought out Snapper, and shoved Wier and his crazy ideas out the door.
User avatar
ProfX
Posts: 2162
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Walmart Profit Margin

Post by ProfX »

This documentary was made in 2005, and is still a good view.

Wal-Mart: the High Cost of Low Price
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mart: ... _Low_Price

Whatever their profit margins, there are corporate and labor practices of America's largest employer, that still deserve scrutiny, and criticism. Also, they put a squeeze on their suppliers.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Post Reply